FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How come ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How come ?
    Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 9:45am
Just reading about the art district they want to bring into the downtown area got me to thinking. Middeltown has Middfest,which personally I could care less for and doesn't make any sense to me, ballon fest which isn't to bad, Sorg theater which is an historic icon of days gone by, all this stuff and more seems geared toward the "upper class" if you will, how come there is nothing for the working class ? Middeltown needs a yearly tractor pull, riding lawn mower pull, seed spitting and tobacco spitting contest,chain saw carving,whittling,bluegrass music. We need events that recognize our roots. Are we not all from Kentucky ? I'm kin to the biggest percentage of people in Middeltown and everyone of them has roots deep in Ky,do away with the goofy Middfest and lets have a Ky fest. Lets get back to what made Middeltown great at one time and that was the fact that everyone came from Ky. Something we can all relate to. We need to get away from the stuffed shirt,I'm somebody important type of events.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 10:13am

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 10:35am
Actually, swohio75, this "celebration of local roots instead of countries for Middfest" idea was mentioned several weeks ago, I believe, and many people gave it a "thumbs up" approval. The reasoning is that most people here in town can/want to identify/celebrate with the customs of Kentucky/local traditions, rather than countries around the world.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:05am
Midfest is good in my opinion, although I wish I was in charge of selecting the countries.  I do appreciate the fact that Middletown has (or had) a sophisticated culture, I don't think that has to clash with our Kentucky roots.

There is definitely room in the spring/summer/fall seasons for another event though!  I think a celebration of our Kentucky heritage would be great! 

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:17am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

This is one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read.

And what part of Ky are your kin from there swohio ?

Surely your not one of those haughty-taughty types that would rather put on airs and have an art show than to celebrate something worth while ! You sound pretty uptight to me. Shocked
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:24am
my family is from Hazard, and London,  KY. Deep in a mountain, and proud of it.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:28am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

my family is from Hazard, and London,  KY. Deep in a mountain, and proud of it.

I knew it !! I bet me and you is kin !! Shocked LOL

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:35am
Madison/Wolfe County

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 11:49am
Could be, if you have lived in Middletoewn all your life I bet you at least know some of my family. Do you remember a bar out on Tytus years ago called The North Way Inn?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 12:36pm
wow swohio--r u being intolerent of other diverse cultures?
actually, an annual appalacian festival might go very well in this community.
Possibly tieing in with a baloon fest or other Smith Park events.
We shouldn't denigrate or deny such a prevalent and large segment of our fundamental heritage.

Probably would have more drawing power(especially from surrounding communities) than many of our current low-attendence events

jmo

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Could be, if you have lived in Middletoewn all your life I bet you at least know some of my family. Do you remember a bar out on Tytus years ago called The North Way Inn?

I bet we are cousins in a round about way Randy.

I bet I'm kin to ole Cooter...I mean Tudor. I have some kin still in Madison County and Wolfe County.

Now I won't feel so bad when I bad mouth somebody on here and vice versa. We all kin to each other and thats ok !  LOL
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 3:31pm
Wolfe County? Go Lee City!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 4:51pm

Some great wood carvers and potters have come from the hills of Kentucky.
Many national prize winning quilts are made by the women of Kentucky.
Great artist come from all kinds of backgrounds and locations.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I bet I'm kin to ole Cooter...I mean Tudor.

That cracked me up! LOL
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I bet I'm kin to ole Cooter...I mean Tudor.

That cracked me up! LOL

See,you cracked up and I'd bet my coon dog we is kin there Tudor. Hug

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Some great wood carvers and potters have come from the hills of Kentucky.
Many national prize winning quilts are made by the women of Kentucky.
Great artist come from all kinds of backgrounds and locations.

Yes they do Vivian,nothing like a good quilt show or seeing some exotic pottery,every time I think of pottery I think of Bybee Pottery. Anybody familiar with Bybee Pottery ?

Vivian I bet you have deep ruts roots in Ky.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 8:03am

My family is from Hazard.  I would love to have a festival here.  Has anyone every been to Court Days?  That is a succesful event every year.  Draws a lot of crowds.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 9:10am
They use to have court day at Mount Sterling,I had to been to that one a few times. Large turnouts at those type of events.

I was being sarcastic in my original post above,there is nothing wrong with having Middfest but I don't think it relates to the people or the people can't relate to it. Look at the high turnout the Pork fest has every year,that is an event people can relate to and enjoy. It takes them back to their roots,the beginning. Everything Middeltown seems to want is like putting on "airs", it amounts to nothing but yet someone thinks it shows how sophisticated we are. Doesn't make sense to me but then who am I.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 10:51am
That is right Mount Sterling every October.  Other successful KY festival Colonal Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken Festival - Bourbon Festival.  Many areas do civil war reenactments.  I am not a big fan of Middfest - my understanding is they try to make to much money off the vendors and it has driven them away over the years. 
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 1:30pm
Letcher and Bloody Breathitt and I think Mountain festival would be awsum.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2009 at 1:55pm
Perry County..Hazard...Every year around Labor Day they have a Hardburley Festival. Its amazing when you meet people at it they now live up here in the Butler Co. area.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 4:13am
I have friends who go to "Court Days" every year.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 12:07pm
Hermes
The Combs family goes back many generations in Kentucky history.
(All the Combs families in Middletown are cuzzies) Big%20smile

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Hermes
The Combs family goes back many generations in Kentucky history.
(All the Combs families in Middletown are cuzzies) Big%20smile

Them Combs down in Ky is thicker than hair on a cats back. No shortage on the Combs name down there. LOL
kntman2020 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kntman2020 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 6:22pm
cool randy, i to am from hazard, a little town called  Buckhorn.
J.M.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic