FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown South

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Mr. Dave Mr. Dave wrote:

wow, your older than me good for you, does that mean you know more or are smarter than me...I think not. Why does everyone think you need to be apart of some group approved the city to do anything. Who is stopping you from taking part in things in your own neighborhood. To have them listen to you they should be a quitter, do you really need permission to take part in community involvement?  Myself and several of my neighborers go out once a week and clean up OUR street and look after one another. That Sir is community involvement.

I do not like the city leaders in OUR town but i do not them or anyone else dictate what i am gonna do. Maybe if you didn't you would see a different Middletown, but you just keep on waiting for someone else to fix the problem, that will get it done. It's people like you (those that give up) that make this town not worth fighting for, not the city leaders or the "THEY" you speak of.  

Thank you for being Rude! Now i can say it "Myyy way" ( thx Franko!). You are an Idiot Sir!  I only referenced my "seniority" BECAUSE you said "30 yrs" like it GAVE you credibility. As to Community Involvement, are you so thick you did not understand that I gave up doing that, probably when you were a Child, because of the reasons I LISTED. Please reread if you have a comprehension Problem.

You talk like you are Liberal. Are you? Liberals always think THEIR way is the right way and that any one disagreeing is clearly a quiter.

I am a bit of a quiter. I am going to quit trying to make you understand a point other than your own. Obviously that is a waste of time. Your right and everyone else is wrong.
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 7:26pm
Not sure how well versed you are in punctuation , but !!! those exclamation points tend to mean yelling, which is what you used in your original comment about my age. So dont start yelling if you cant take it. You are the one said that you gave up, dont be mad when I call you on it. As for being a Liberal, I dont think so, I just hate people that are negative and blame everyone else for the problems we face. If you want to see change you have to step up and make it happen, Dont be a quitter.
Kujani1840 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:06pm
Some of you have been very helpful and I appreciate the time that you have taken to give me some personal insight. It seems that a lot of others just want to argue with each other about , well, anything really.   From what I can gather from the useful comments, Middletown is a lot like Hamilton; there are nice areas and not so nice areas. Our main concern as far as the area is the crime. We're not real thrilled about the school system based upon the research that we have done, but our children won't be starting for a few years and we'll be able to explore private schools or other alternatives by then if they haven't improved. To the person that sent me the like to the house, I apologize if I sounded like an ass in my response, but I thought that I may have given the wrong impression with my question. Someone mentioned about the job of keeping up an historic home; is there anything different to caring for a home that is historic as far as ordinances or is it just the size of the house, etc? Would the 500-700 block of South Main Street be considered the nicer part or is it closer to the bad part? I've noticed a lot of press and comments about Section 8 housing; is Section 8 scattered throughout Middletown or is it isolated? Where are the apartment complexes located? In my experience I have found that crime normally surrounds apartment complexes. With the Section 8 housing and rental property, it's usually not as bad because there are usually home owners amongst them so the area doesn't look as bad. Unfortunately, renters don't normally care about the house that they're renting so they don't do a whole lot with them. However, with today's economy a lot of good people find themselves having to lease and rent homes, often times leading to the purchase of the home; do you find that to be true in the area? I've also seen many comments about North, South, East, New Middletown....what is the significance of the areas? We're looking to move into an early 1900s home and we understand that it will most likely need significant work, which we are OK with. We're not looking to flip a house, but to make it our home for several years. Does anyone know anything about the 7th Avenue area near South Main? I've noticed a lot of multi family homes for sale; has anyone heard of someone buying the homes to make them single family homes again? The homes did look to be in good condition from the pictures, so hopefully someone who cares about the property will keep them in good shape and insist on good tenants. There doesn't seem to be much faith in the local community leaders from all of the complaining. It sounds like a lot of Middletown's problems stem from irresponsible leadership. Why would a city put all of their financialy "eggs"  into one basket (ie AK Steel). If they could have built other businesses around AK and encouraged local business owners and helped them with their businesses, they could have probably done much better. I've asked a lot of questions and you all could tell me to jump off of a bridge, but I do appreciate your time. Even though I hear a lot of negative comments on these blogs I will say that Middletown looks very nice from the pictures, anyway. Whether or not we wind up living amongst you, we sincerely hope that someone will take charge and make Middletown beautiful again. It is such a shame to see these beautiful old buildings neglected so much. I also hate to see people wanting them torn down because they're old. New buildings always look new no matter how they're designed. Any town can have nice new buildings, but a town that takes pride in its' history and preserves its' heritage is something special. Thank you.
Upper90 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upper90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:06pm
Wow folks, no wonder people are moving out. Anyway, to me from the old fish place down to the stadium I hardly see any activity. I know several families that have lived in that stretch with no problems. There are far far worse places to live for certain. There are no places to go within a few miles and don't kid yourselves that their is for modern entertainment. Union Centre area, Bridgewater heck even the Greene in Beavercreek are not that far if you want wined and dined or even Cincinnati. That stretch of houses is beautiful, when I tell people I am from Middletown they almost always mention those homes. Franklin has a similar area by the lion bridge as does Hamilton on Dayton and then even better on D street, top end. I now live in a boring subdivision and wish I would have chosen something different, it is great house with nice neighbors but I feel like Ward Cleaver is going to show up at any moment. The best place I ever lived was in the gaslight area of Clifton - beautiful old homes, a real entertainment district, eclectic folks and a weird sense of safety, real or not. But for almost 300K right now you could find a steal out in one of the townships, 2-5 acres nice house, etc. It is a hard call because your kids won't have a cul de sac to play which is a great benefit to sub living.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:10pm
I apologize for my typos, but I didn't proof read it until after I had posted my reply.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:18pm
Thanks for the information. We're still not even sure if we'll be moving or not but if we do we would really like to get one of the houses that I mentioned. Now, we're not looking for the house on 502 Main, even though it is breath taking, but it is just WAY too big. I don't know what kind of problems it has, but it looks like a good deal from the pictures, anyway. My friends and family that I have asked about the area pretty much say the same thing; Middletown is a ghost town, but there aren't a lot of problems (crime) out there. I spent 27 years living in Butler County living in the county part of Hamilton, so I'm familiar with the crime in Hamilton. Right now we're still excited about moving there and we hope to be able to view some of the homes that we're interested in before too much longer. Thanks again.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 9:41pm
 I do hope you find the perfect home for your family... Middletown or otherwise :)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 10:51pm

Does Section 8 help or hurt city?

In the past 10 years, residents using the program have more than doubled.

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer
1:02 AM Sunday, July 19, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — While the term “Section 8” may evoke different ideas in the minds of Middletonians, it is a public program meant to provide rent subsidies for low- to moderate-income families to live in safe, decent and clean housing.

Its roots date back to the federal laws enacted during the Great Depression, and now Section 8 also includes programs that provide housing assistance to the elderly and disabled in public and private complexes and rental houses.

Jim Cunningham of the Cincinnati office of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, said the “tenant-based program allows people to rent on the open market. The tenant pays 30 to 40 percent of the rent.”

Cunningham said tenants pay their portion to the landlord while the housing authority pays the difference in the rent for units that must meet HUD housing quality standards.

According to HUD regulations, there is no limit on how long a person may keep a voucher, so long as the income limits — no more than 50 percent of the median income for the county or city — are not exceeded.

Also, the vouchers are portable and can be used anywhere in the United States.

HUD spends more than $16.8 billion annually on the housing choice program that nationally assists more than 1.4 million households.

Growth of Section 8

The 1,662 housing choice vouchers assigned to the Middletown Public Housing Authority represent about 7 percent of the city’s households.

As of Wednesday, July 15, there were 1,576 active vouchers in use, according to the city’s Community Revitalization Department.

While it has been proposed to reduce the number of vouchers to about 800 through attrition, Middletown City Council has not moved forward with the proposal.

“I believe that the Section 8 program is a good program that benefits people in need,” said City Manager Judy Gilleland. “We need to ensure that Middletown residents have access to affordable housing, and Section 8 vouchers help to that end.”

Middletown, along with Parma, are the only two municipally run public housing agencies in Ohio. Throughout the rest of the state, public housing is overseen by county or multicounty housing authorities.

Lucrative leases

In its 2009 budget, the city projected to receive more than $11.75 million in federal funding for the Section 8 voucher program.

The number of vouchers in Middletown has more than doubled from 767 in 2000 to 1,662 in 2009. In federal funding, that has grown from $2.47 million in 2000 that is pumped into the city’s economy.

The program is big business for local landlords, with some owning as many as 20 to more than 40 rental units.

Housing ‘imbalance’

In 2008, Gilleland proposed transferring the 30-year-old program to the Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority because the city was not equipped to administer the complex program.

She also cited the imbalance of Section 8 housing vouchers in Middletown compared to Butler County, which has just under 1,000.

Middletown holds more than 50 percent of the housing choice vouchers in Butler County, yet the city only represents about 15 percent of the county’s population. The city’s poverty rate also nearly doubled the past eight years from 12 to 22 percent.

She said the city in the past acquired vouchers “without a conscious conversation with Council.”

City staff in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003 wrote letters of support in applications seeking an additional 790 vouchers. The applications were prepared by CONSOC Housing Consultants of Columbus, which has managed the program for the past 19 years. Council gave its approval as part of its annual consolidated plan sent to HUD.

Although City Council capped the number of vouchers at 1,554, HUD also converted 108 site-based units to the housing choice program, which increased the total to its current level at 1,662 vouchers.

Addressing issues

“The city of Middletown has experienced issues with Section 8 housing,” Gilleland said. “The city wasn’t doing its due diligence with housing inspections and criminal activity among the residents of Section 8 residents.”

In May, City Council ratified a new three-year contract with CONSOC, and both are now working on updating the administrative plan and policies to ensure there is quality housing and to curtail criminal activity, Gilleland said. Some tenants involved in criminal activity already have lost vouchers.

“We’ve tightened up the provisions ... and we’re confident that there will be major improvements in the Section 8 program in the very near future,” she said. “In fact, we’ve seen some positive changes already.”

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 10:57pm
Kujani1840 the school system is a major problem.  I moved here 6 years ago with the same assumption as you that the school system would improve before my child got to Middle School it didn't happen and I don't see it happening anytime In the next 10+ years under the current circumstances.  My son now goes to private school.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 11:25pm
That's what I was afraid of, Pacman. What are some of the private schools in the area that are reasonable and successful?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 5:16am
The two area Private schools that are probably the most well known are:

Middletown Christian School

John XXIII Elementary/Bishop Fenwick High School

My son goes to Middletown Christian and he loves it there.  Cost is about $4500.00+ a year.  The other option is to enroll your kids in the surrounding Public schools districts with open enrollment.  There are several excellent school districts in surrounding areas.  Madison or Monroe, etc.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Mr. Dave Mr. Dave wrote:

Wasteful,  I am assuming you can read, I never said that Middletown had a scenic downtown or that theTown Mall was a popular place. I asked why you and everyone else have to focus on the negative all the time. Why not tell this person that South Main is close to Smith Park, which is a nice park. why not tell them that Middletown is going through some changes and we are hopeful that things will get better here and we would welcome some new people to town. Instead you post a pic that says just the opposite. Dont you grow tired of being such a negative person?

Dave like I said people with Blinders on.  Dave being truthful is not being negative.  Telling the world that "Middletown has a Bright Future" under the current circumstances is being less than truthful.

We as citizens want answers and actions to:

Reduce Poverty
Reduce Section 8
Improve and maintain our Infrastructure
Improve our schools
Shore up our business community
The Amenities that come with a City of 50k population
Control Crime
Be able to have a dialog with our leaders
etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now being a good neighbor which I am sure most if not all of us on here are is not going to solve the major issues of this city.  If you want the fluff and the nicey nice talk just turn on TV Middletown daily and you will get plenty of it as they do not have discussions about the above issues. 

Are there quick fixes for the above nope, but ignoring the citizens unless they have the right last name or a big fat wallet isn't the answer.  Pretending the issues don't exist doesn't make them go away.  Telling people that Middletown is currently a wonderful place to live doesn't either, especially when they are talking about dropping a boat load of money on some property.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 8:41am
new potential resident--the BEST real estate values are in mid-city imo.
Plenty of wonderful/interesting homes at very good pricing.
Puts you closer to what amenities are available.
You could play the schooling issue many different ways when the time comes, and the local district can only get better.
Honestly, crime in Middietown is pretty much pg rated when compared to serious locations.
Come here--be nice, helpful and constructively involved-we will love you and help you however possible

These are very good people here--just ignored by our local government, which will be changing faces through the next election--guaranteed

I like the S Main old mansion and would try it if I had a family or the talent to fix it up
There is another nice piece in the Highland area for big $$ that could also be a masterpiece, though the asking price + fix-up makes it a bad investment imo.

jmo
Laubach View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 9:08am
kujani1840;
My name is Josh Laubach. As a Middletown City Councilman, I would love to see you and your family move to Middletown. Although we have suffered  setbacks, we have a great deal to offer those looking to find a solid community with great character and potential.  Please email me and I would be happy to assist you with any information I can. If I don't know it, I will point you in the right direction.
Thanks,
Josh
Laubach View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 9:14am
Sorry. My email is joshual@cityofmiddletown.org 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 9:27am

Wasteful & Mr. Dave, Here is my problem with this whole discussion you two are having. Dave wants us to focus on the positive of which there is not that much of and Wasteful wants us to focus on the negative which there is too much of. My question for both of you and for all reading this post,  is this....why do you not attend council meetings? I go to everyone and it's all ways the same couple of people there, the SpiderJohn's the Mike Presta's and the Vet's.

Why dont all of you show up, fill out a citizens comment card and speak your mind? And please dont tell me it's because you get no answer from council or you get the standard "we are not set up to answer question's at this time." i have been there and hear those response to, so what, go anyway. If 50 people showed up ready to talk it might open some eyes. If the next week 100 showed up it might send a message.

It's not about Council answering you it's about showing them you are willing to come down there and tell  them just how you feel, ask one of them a question directly, If they dont answer come back next week and ask again, tell them you will be back next week. There is a room full of people there and many watching on TV Middletown show them the way council is acting. Turn to the TV Middletown cameras and ask the citizens watching to come down and join you next week.

Mr. Dave you are right about one, you should never let someone else dictate what you do or say.

Glad to see you stop by Mr. Laubach. Cant wait to see you in action on the 5th.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 8:48am
randy- they won't show up at council meetings to speak their mind for the same reasons they wouldn't show up at Nick Kidd's meeting a few years ago at the old Montgomery Ward building, nor the Sunday Library sessions a while back, the 3rd Ward Marconi thing at the Senior Citizens Center nor the "Meet The Candidates" sessions before the last election ........they are angry, frustrated and feel helpless and without a voice, but they won't get up off the couch, jump in the car and come to the meetings to voice their feelings or ask questions. The old "Apathy Disease" is always with us. Apparently, it's going to take much more than what is currently happening to get the people out in numbers. I guess the town just hasn't gotten bad enough yet or the people haven't been personally affected enough by the city for them to react. Too busy fighting the day to day problems at home to add another problem fighting the city, or, they would just rather move out of the city and leave it all behind. Alot of people sitting on the sidelines watching but not wanting to get in the game. JMO
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 11:47am
Vet, It's too bad that people feel this way. Until people come out and stand up, and make those in charge listen you cant bitch JMO. It's no different with voting, if you don't vote you cant complain. So if people want to say "this is whats wrong with our city, and this is what should be done" they need to do it at a meeting at least once. You and I have spoken many times at these meetings, along with Spider, Presta and Nagy. I know people are busy, hell we are all busy but this is our town and if you really want to see some change then one would make time to show up.

If people are are SO frustrated ,as you say, one would think you would show up just to tell  council to kiss your @$^ I am hopeful that some things will change with the new blood on Council, but it is still up to us to force change.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 12:23pm
You guys as making some big assumptions about people you either don't know or have only met once or twice.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 5:21pm
     I'm really beginning to wonder if we should move to Middletown with all of the hostility flowing between the members on here. I think I received a handful of helpful responses and the rest turned into everyone arguing. I understand that some of you believe that you're being helpful by being "honest" but to a prespective resident, you're giving us a very bad opinion. I do have questions for the council man, however. I'm not sure if he can or will answer them on here or not, but we're very concerned about the percentage of Section 8 housing in Middletown. We have relatives visiting and they say that Middletown is called "Section 8 town" by outside residents. According to my research, Middletown has twice as many Section 8 vouchers as the rest of the entire county! To me, that's absurd. Is that the only way that Middletown has to make money? Over 11 million dollars from the government? It sounds like welfare for the city to me. Even my friends outside the city can't believe that Middletown has resorted to collecting a check from the Federal government to get by. I hope it can get resolved. We would still like to move there but I hope that we can get more helpful suggestions.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 7:13pm
Well Pac, what other explanation would you have for the lack of interest, apathy and general malaise from the general populace of this town? IMO I'm not treating my statements as assumptions at all, but rather observations over time. I don't need to know each individual in town to make a generalized statement about the absence of enthusiasm and citizen involvement, do I?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 7:22pm
Kujani- you have just stated in your post one of the many reasons that are causing the negativity in our posts. Bingo! your Section 8 comments as to over abundance, using the program as a revenue generator instead of luring companies and employment to town for revenue (like most towns do), and the people outside Middletown calling us "section 8- welfare-low income- low class- etc. (image has gone down the toilet) ALL of these issues has infuriated us here on this site. You have just realized why we are all so angry! Now, you understand.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 10:24pm
Those of us, like myself, who try to look at Middletown and its future in a positive light often come under a lot of criticism on this site. However, just because we keep a positive attitude doesn't mean that we aren't equally as frustrated with some of what's happened in our town--in particular the Section 8 and subsidized housing issues.

That being said, Middletown’s future is in people who are willing to make an investment in our community, such as Kujani. And I could not be more thrilled that he or she is considering Middletown as home—and even more thrilled that he or she is looking at our historical district. I agree with Kujani that the bickering and negativity could be a big turn off for perspective residents that this community desperately needs. A lot of you hammer the city on not being business friendly. Take a look in the mirror and see just how friendly you are being to potential residents yourself.

To answer your questions about the school district. I am a firm believer that a child can get a great education in Middletown’s schools, so long as education is a top priority in the family’s household. Middletown’s school “issues” are in the form of test scores. Research shows that low income kids perform poorer on tests, and with the abundance of low income kids in our district, it’s no wonder test scores are lower and progress is slower. The issue with purchasing a home in on South Main is the elementary school for that neighborhood—which is Rosa Parks Elementary. It has consistently been the poorest performing school in the district. Students, however, qualify for school of choice which I believe means you can send your child to another elementary school in Middletown. Middletown currently has two middle schools—Vail and Verity. They are both about equal in terms of performance, but Vail is the larger of the two schools. As long as your child gets on the “advanced” track in middle school and stays on that track through high school, he or she will be fine. Also, high school students can also enroll in Miami University Middletown coursework their junior year (I think), and it is right across the street from Middletown High School.

As you probably have come to the conclusion, South Main Historical District is a mix of single family and converted multi-family homes. There are both single family and converted homes on the market at the moment. Converted homes tend to be less expensive. Some multi-family have been converted back to single family homes. Marty Kohler—Middletown’s Planning Director—lives in the district. He is currently restoring a home that was used as a nursing home for many years. I was in it a couple of years ago and saw some of the renovation. He would be an excellent resource for you. And because the house is part of a district that is listed on the National Register, you may be able to qualify for federal funds for help with renovation. I am no expert in that regard, but again, Marty may be willing to help you.

Here are some amenities close to the historical district:
Middletown Public Library—has been top rated in the nation
Middletown Area YMCA
The Great Miami Connection Recreation Trail which will eventually link up to Cincinnati and Dayton along the river. In Middletown, it connects you Smith Park.
Middletown Tennis Club is on the edge of the district, which historically has been a top-notch club http://www.middletownsportscomplex.com/home/
You have a 9-hole golf course in the district with pretty reasonable rates to join the club—which also has a pool.
Three long-time congregations within walking distance—First Methodist, St. Paul’s United Church of Christ and Bethlehem Lutheran Church. Catholic community not too far away either.
Miami University Middletown has a center downtown with lots of activities
There’s the Broad Street Bashes and other activities around Governor’s Square throughout the year. Used to be a Farmers Market—not sure.

As far as shopping is concerned, there is a newer Kroger just down Main Street at Engles Corner along with a CVS. There are some restaurants in that area as well—mostly fast food. More fast food and convenience type places along Verity near Germantown Road.

Downtown does not have much to offer in terms of dining and shopping at the moment, but I believe in the next five years Downtown could see a major transformation. There are some things in progress that could be very good for the area in general.

There is a great spirit of volunteerism and giving back in Middletown. And there is still a lot of pride. And a lot of apathy. And a lot of frustration at the same time. Middletown has a great history, much potential and many challenges to overcome. But no community is perfect. You seem to like older homes. Middletown is a community full of them. West Chester, Mason, Monroe, Trenton, Springboro, eh not so much.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 9:16am
wow kujani--you concern yourself with banter between those posting here more so than the true assrssments of our community?
These are honest and reasonably accurate opinions of the city where WE live.
I am wondering if YOU are for real or just playing around.

SWOhio is presenting many legit positives about the area.
He obviously is knowledgeable and loves Middletown, seeing a much brighter future down the road.
We ALL hope for that.
Still--I don't believe that SWOhio lives or works anywhere near Middletown.

We have our negatives obviously, and you seem to want a fair appraisal of our community from those who frequent this forum.
Pretty much what you have recieved.
You might try the TV MIDDLETOWN website for replays of Council and Planning Comm.meetings to understand a little more.
And visit the Middletown Journal website for daily news and opinions.

We could use more mid-upper scale families, buying into our excellent real estate market.
Rosa Parks school is definitely on the improve with a young Mr.Edwards as the principal. He is a fine local man determined to make things better, and is doing so.

We have fine local restaurants--The Meadows,Stefano's,Java Johnny's.Taste of Memphis,Checkers,The Jug,The Anchor,Grecian Delight and others I regret not mentioning. Retail options are very thin and going the wrong direction. Still--as mentioned you aren't far away from every option(as you would know being from Hamiltucky). Atrium is a good medical facility.

Our local govt. is in transition and WILL be changing to a more citizen-friendly direction. THEY brought on the Section 8 glut to keep their job security and benefits. This direction has destroyed our retail environment, with NO help or involvement from city economic development. A real black mark against them.

We have a good, fair Mayor. A genuinely nice person who DOES care and listen. Don't really agree with his overall philosophy, but that is a work evolving. Our Council WILL be moving to a more receptive direction for citizen concerns and input. The old guard who has masterminded our decline is aging rapidly and beginning to lose their death grip on local govt.

We are just the concerned citizens.
We care very much, even though we don't always agree.
There is "right and wrong" in our opinions.
Hopefully we will sort through them and apply the best solutions to unification and a brighter future.
Our area formerly known as downtown and our empty retail centers can only get better. Same with our schools. We need real employment--nothing unusual to the Midwest industrial areas. Residents need income--not subsidy. Bail-outs are hardly the answer to anything.

Mr.Laubaugh is a fine young man who may well work to change t he direction of our city.
I like him very much, and have confidence in his approach and enthusiasm.

In essence--
you asked--we answered
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kujani1840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2009 at 4:39pm
Spiderjohn, why would you doubt my sincerity? Do you think I have nothing better to do than to read hour after hour for days on end until 3 or 4 am about Middletown and the available homes? To watch every video on Youtube about Middletown? To read every newspaper article that I could find on Middletown? I live in Atlanta, Georgia. I could find something better to do than to waste your time. You have no idea how serious I was. My wife and I talked non stop for a month about moving to Middletown. We fell in love with the pictures of 700 South Main Street. We had already made many plans on what we could and would do with the house. We plan on opening a business near the area and even joked that if our business became successful enough we would buy more of the historic homes, renovate them and sell them to single families and personally save Middletown. Obviously, that's not even a remote possiblity even if we became millionaires. As far as my intention, we have decided to look elsewhere. Believe me, it is a very painful decision. I had my brother in law, who is a realtor, my sister and her husband and my best friend, who is a licensed housing inspector, go and check out 700 South Main Street and 514 South Main Street. They all agreed that both houses, the bones of them anyway, were absolutely beautiful. But they had been neglected for so long that it would take approximately $100k to renovate 700 South Main Street. We were trying to suprise our family so I was trying to use another realtor. She failed to mention to us that the house had been CONDEMNED and all of the windows were boarded up and that it had been used previously as what appears to be a homeless shelter. It needs a roof, wiring, plumbing, etc... 514 Main Street has had a lot of work done on the inside, but it has a big mold problem. They also found that quite a few of the other homes around it had their windows boarded up. Now, in all of my years as a police officer, I've worked in many neighborhoods that had many vacant homes. Not all of them had to board up the windows in order to keep them from being broken into or damaged. The ones that did were normally very bad neighborhoods with a lot of crime. Now, I'm hearing talk of an active gang problem from some of my police friends. I've considered all of those factors; the crime, section 8 problem, the condition of the homes, the state of the education (approximately 30% of students don't graduate and 2% attend college). I'm not trying to talk bad about anyone. It sounds to me like there are a lot of good people stuck in a bad town with not much hope. I'm not that brave of a person to subject my 2 toddler children to an uphill battle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic