Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, May 3, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Current status of the NSP - Round 1 HUD Grant??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Current status of the NSP - Round 1 HUD Grant??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Current status of the NSP - Round 1 HUD Grant??
    Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 8:27am
Middletown's $2.144,000 Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round 1 Grant (Funded Early 2009)

Approved Activities

1)  Demolish approximately 54 vacant, dilapidated houses - $400,000+
2)  Acquire, rehabilitate and resell 20 vacant, foreclosed homes - $1,100,000+
3)  Offer downpayment/closing cost assistance to buyers of vacant, foreclosed homes - $200,000+
4)  Provide administrative funding for employees (and consultants?) to administer NSP-1 - $200,000+

Status Report

1)  A couple of months ago Doug Adkins did provide Randy Lewis with a list of houses demolished
2)  A couple of months ago Doug Adkins did mention that no properties had been purchased for rehab and resale
3)  No information has ever been provided on the number of NSP-1 funded downpayment/closing cost assistance forgivable loans that Community Revitalization Department staff had approved for buyers of vacant, foreclosed homes

Downtown Property Demolition

1)  Downtown commercial property demolition WAS NOT a component of the application to HUD for $2.144 million in NSP-Round One funds
2)  Did the City of Middletown revise the NSP-1 application that was sent to and approved by HUD
3)  I have no recollection of such an amemdment to the NSP-1 application ever being presented to the City Council for consideration

Since the City has openly stated their use of NSP-1 funds to acquire Central Avenue property and for related demolition purposes, what authority did they have to spend $300 - 400 thousand of this HUD grant?  If anyone knows please tell us.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 10:06am
Nelson:

My relative who works in the city building told me yesterday that Doug A. was getting another big raise. She said that he will be paid more than Les Landon. I guess this move is to keep him from moving to Mason.

Jagster
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 11:49am
Jag -

It's sad that the citizens of Middletown know so little about the millions in HUD funds the City receives and so freely spends.  After all, aren't these tax dollars that hard working Middletonians and others provide?

Another question is the status of the $19 million HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round Two grant application that the City submitted last summer.  Since Mr. Adkins failed to present any budgetary information at the Public Hearing held during a City Council meeting, does anyone have that data?  It sure would be great to know exactly how and where these additional tax dollars will be spent.

The citizens of Middletown deserve much better transparency in governing and accountability too!  I deeply thank Miss Vivian, Tom Rapp (yes, he is back in town), Viet Vet, etc. for sharing similar concerns.  Thank you also Jag.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 12:04pm
Transparency and Accountability

In the two years that I worked for the City of Middletown, Marty Kohler would ALWAYS provide PowerPoint budgetary presentations at Public Hearings, etc.  To his credit, the City Council and the general public had some basic idea how funds were spent in the past and how they were proposed to be spent in the future.  Current senior City staff finds no need to share such information with the public.  They also find no need for a Citizen Participation Committee like most other municipalities that receive HUD funds.

I have worked many years in HUD funded programs and NEVER once witnessed those in authority fail to properly and openly inform the public like what is happening now.  These senior City staff seem to believe that most HUD programs are an internal matter and that the citizenry has access to same based only on a "Need To Know" basis.  Even more discouraging is the silence of some City Council members when crucial problems and issues have been raised.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 11:14pm

The previous four posts were e-mailed today to new City Council members A.J. Smith plus Joshua Laubach.  It will be interesting to observe these young men once they have a better understanding of how government "really works" (behind closed doors) in Middletown.  We hope for independent thinking plus active support of open, honest government.  Only time will tell.

jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 8:28am
Why didn't you send it to Dan Picard? I hear he is a supporter of Marty K.

Jagster
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 9:17am
Jag -

My posts have nothing to do with Marty Kohler.  They're intended to shed light on the reluctance of some senior City staff to provide timely and meaningful information to citizens regarding the expenditure of millions in HUD funds.

Oh, and by the way, would JAG be the initials of your real name?  Miss Vivian and I were talking about that yesterday.
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2009 at 10:22am
I am NOT her, if that is what you are asking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic