FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking Garage Final Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking Garage Final Pics
    Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 12:38am
Thought I would grab some final photos around and from the parking garage with its potential upcoming demolition.

Mural over Broad must be relocated

Loading area between garage and Central-fronting buildings

Main Street

Sorg

Montgomery Ward

Dohn's

Swallens will surely need work if not destroyed with the garage

Two new elevators completely closed

I kept looking for the mall

Verity ramp

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 9:09am
wonderful pictures
Speaks volumes about the area, past history and current malaise without verbal commentary
A virtual scrapbook within itself

Can't compliment your effort enough
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 11:12am
Some really good pictures,the beginning of the end of yesteryear. Unhappy
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 2:55pm

The seventh picture down (24 N. Main Street) is remembered by most as the “old Montgomery Ward” building, and of course I remember it as that from when I was a kid. But I wax nostalgic every time I see it and will forever remember it as the downtown office of Kaiser Engineers, Inc., from about 1965 to 1970. Project management and project engineering for “Project 600” (Arnco Steel’s major expansion totaling over $600 million in 1964 dollars) was handled from this building.

It was there that I began my career in heavy industrial engineering and construction in January of 1966 as a junior draftsman for the princely sum of $75.46 per week!!! Many of the best and brightest people in the industry were assembled here for this project, and it was there that I began receiving my “real” education from these wonderful people who always took time to “bring along” an interested “cub”. I also spent about a year and a half in the field on test and start-up of the new hot strip mill and slab mill. During that period I found out the results of sloppy engineering and the “real cost” of “minor mistakes” that some people in the office didn’t think it was necessary to check over. I always considered that period my “advanced degree” studies.

Project 600 was a fascinating and world-renowned project. Many of those involved went on to stellar careers. For at least ten years afterwords, the mere mention of having worked on it could virtually guarantee you an interview at any engineering, construction, or construction management firm in the country.

The people who worked on this project were not only technically excellent but, for the most part, the were also really fine individuals. Many of us still keep in touch today, forty years later. The group gets smaller though. When I hired on, at that point I was the youngest kid on the project. I am now 62

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 4:26pm
Those are really nice pictures! What is the blue building next to the garage? Is it still in use?

It looks like the garage hasn't been really used for a long time.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 8:31pm
^The blueish building is the former Dohn's Hardware: http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=78&CISOMODE=grid

The building is really three separate structures joined as one; the building farthest north was actually a church. Under the 1960's cladding is a red brick facade that was constructed across the three buildings. The whole thing will look even more odd after the garage comes down.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 10:05pm
I think I saw a few pictures of the paramount before the garage was put up. Maybe something good can come of this. I will be hopeful :)
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 11:59am
I agree, those pictures say more than words ever could.

Thanks for posting them Randy!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

I agree, those pictures say more than words ever could.

Thanks for posting them Randy!

My name is not Randy.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 10:26pm
Nice pics. I wonder where the mural will go.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 10:38pm
Something wrong with the name Randy?  Sorry John, I didn't take these pic's, but there are nice none the less
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic