FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is something fishy???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is something fishy???
    Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 7:13pm
Consider this:

1. The top eight candidates  for new school superintendent were interviewed by the board of education on December 11 and 12.

2. The letters of interest transmitting their resumes from both Sommers and Rasmussen are dated December 15.

The three finalists (Martin, Sommers, Rasmussen) are printed in Tyus's letter to the Middletown Journal early on the morning of December 16 !!!

Hmmm...

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 7:25pm
Now Sommers, who "wasn't looking for the job", gets the one he wasn't looking for and withdraws from the Middie spot!!

It just gets curiouser and curiouser!!

Will Rassmussen get a job that he wasn't looking for next?
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 7:46pm
I guess we need to ask the good Reverend! and I use that term loosly
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 9:04pm
Sounds like the search was done and completed long before the board made any announcements.

Guess who the next Super will be ? Disapprove
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2010 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

I guess we need to ask the good Reverend! and I use that term loosly

Well, to the best that I can figure out, here is what MUST have happened:

Both Rasmussen (in Wichita) and Sommers (in Hamilton) really, really, really wanted the job as Middletown Superintendent of Schools, but for some unknown--but certainly valid--reasons did not decide to apply until late on December 14, 2009. It was so late that night, in fact, that by the time they were putting the finishing touches on their cover letters it was after midnight, so they both dutifully dated their cover letters December 15, 2009. After all, they wouldn’t want to lie, would they?

Now remember, prior to this (on December 11 and 12) the school board had already interviewed the “top eight finalists” and had narrowed the list down to THREE, but they did NOT yet know their names. I think that Carney, Sandoe and Associates had borrowed that “backlit screen” thingie and that “voice disguiser” thingie from the FBI to conceal the identities of the eight finalists. You know…just like when someone is testifying against the mafia and they are trying to hide their true identity.

Next, A MIRACLE OCCURRED!!! Or, maybe not, maybe Santa Claus has a “special connection” with the Reverend Tyus??? Yeah…that’s it!!! At that very same instant--one minute after midnight on December 15, 2009, that Sommers and Rasmussen were dating and signing their letters of interest, Rev. Tyus heard a voice from God instructing him to “text” their mutual pal Santa up at the North Pole and have him dispatch his magical sleigh post haste to KANSAS!!! (No, kiddies, Dorothy and Toto aren’t in this gig! Kansas is where Rudy and the other reindeer stopped to pick up Rasmussen’s letter and short-form resume!) Then, in just another twinkle of Rudy’s ruby-red rhinoplasty job, it was on to Hamilton, Ohio to stop at Sommers’ place on this winter’s night! Next, both sets of documents safely in the sleigh, they headed for the Tyus rooftop. (Hey!! I am NOT making this up!!! Sommers’s cover letter was in MEMO form, addressed “TO: Greg Tyus” What else is a magic reindeer to do?) Then, when up on the Tyus’s rooftop there arose such a clatter, the good Reverend immediately knew what was the matter!!! “Rudolph with your nose so bright,” said the Reverend, “You’ve brought this to the wrong place tonight!” But with just a glance at the two resumes, but NOT noticing the names, Rev. Tyus sent the sleigh on to Boston, to the offices of Carney, Sandoe and Associates. (Of course he did the sensible thing and made copies first!!!)

Luckily, the guy from Carney, Sandoe and Associates came to work early that day, and as soon as he saw these two new resumes, he immediately called the good Reverend and told him to forget two of the top three interviewees from the previous weekend. He told the Reverend that these two new guys, just from glancing at their resumes, stood head and shoulders above all the rest…except for possibly Mr. Martin…and that they should be included on the new, three-man short list!!! Well, the good Reverend knew the laws about meetings in our state, but also reasoned that these were conditions BEYOND “emergency”, so he called a “SUPER-emergency” board meeting!!! (Note that “SUPER-emergency” meetings aren’t addressed in Ohio’s Open Meetings laws--certainly an oversight on the part of our lawmakers!)

Lucky for US, all board members recognize their duties to the citizenry, and especially since it was “FOR THE KIDS”, they all cancelled all of their plans for the day and met all day in a tele-conference meeting with Carney, Sandoe and Associates. At the end of the day, there was no doubt about it. These two late entries MUST be considered in the top three of all the 80+ received. There could be no doubt about it--just look at their resumes!!! No need for any of the silly short-list interviews as with the other bums we had to choose from.

“But look at the lateness of the hour!!!” said the good Reverend alarmingly, “I told The Journal that I would be sending them a letter TODAY revealing the names of the three finalists, and that all of you would be signing it!!!”

“No problem,” the others agreed, “we trust you. We’ll just sign at the bottom of this blank page and you can write the letter!!!”

And so it came to pass!!! The good Reverend diligently went to work and wrote that elegant piece of prose as the hours dwindled down on December 15th, and submitted it to The Middletown Journal in time for it to be published in the December 16th EARLY MORNING edition!!!

Yep!! That’s EXACTLY how it must have happened!!!

Or a MIRACLE occurred!!!

To believe anything else would be some kind of nutty conspiracy theory.

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:44am
Great job, Mike!!!   The BOE owes us an explanation and where is The Journal on this one...why aren't they doing an investigation of this?  And I didn't believe in Santa Claus before this...You've made me a believer!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 8:25am
Mike- good story, but I don't believe Reverend Tyus would do such a thing. I've made a New Years Resolution that I'm going to start going along with the leaders of our town and believing all they shovel- crap- I mean- say. I wish all you guys would see what "we're" (our trusted leaders)are trying to acomplish with our schools and our town, and for 2010, just go along with the program, for cryin' out loud! Nothing but a bunch of hothead troublemakers! Why. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when Landscaper/bush guy turned Historical Society sensi Jeffy Michel, the Honorable Mayor- Lawrence Mulligan Jr. and that pesky MMF group start clamping down!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 9:15am
From the Journal:

"Superintendent search has been
full of surprises

Thursday’s developments are the latest in a series of surprises that have popped up in the superintendent search since it began in July 2009 with the resignation of Steve Price. The board’s decision to hire consulting firm Carney, Sandoe and Associates to complete the nationwide search met with community disapproval about wasteful spending and suspicions of withholding public information related to the process.

Board President Marcia Andrew said hiring the consulting firm was meant to help maintain a balance of finding the widest pool of qualified people with the amount of time the board has to review applicants.

“There are some misunderstandings regarding the role of the agency,” Andrew said. “The board has been very involved with the search process, including interviewing and screening.”

But, the community has questioned the board’s transparency, especially after information was discovered regarding Martin’s tenure at Mansfield, which included suspicion of obstructing justice, board members running on an “anti-Martin platform,” and his resignation Dec. 31, following which he received a check for more than $160,000 as part of an agreement with Mansfield’s board of education.

Sommers’ withdrawal has only stoked the fires of community skepticism.

“Richard,” a reader on the Middletown Journal Web site, echoed the sentiments of numerous visitors: “The real reason Mr. Martin resigned is (the school board) has already made him an employment offer and tonight’s community meeting is just a smoke screen.”

An accusation to which Andrew countered: “It is complete speculation and false. I have read the comments about this being a conspiracy. We have not made any sort of decision to hire Dr. Martin.”

How do you explain Martin getting through the process unscathed if everyone was so involved?  The citizens were surely not very involved.  If Martin is hired could there be a revolt of the Citizens against the BOE?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 9:34am
Whatever happened to positions like a superintendent when a person just wanted to help the school and community ? Now it seems it's all about back-room deals & hundreds of thousands in salary. Or has it always been this way but with todays technology we can find and uncover more information ?

Anyone know how the pay structure of BOE members works ? Who decides their pay raises & where do raises come from and so on ?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 9:37am
great info Mr.P--explanation of THIS situation is more importantly in order.
Congratulations Vet!!--How was the kool-aid?? What flavor??
   Wouldn't want to drink from the special cup/batch that "they" might serve you!
As for the extremely versatile Mr.Michel--I expect him to be the Darth Vader candidate for at-large Council in two years, if not by then being fully qualified(and extremely well-funded by the Atrium/AK/MMFers(better referred to as the MFers) to run for the Mayor position.

After being boned by an extremely bitter Mr.Marconi and Mr.Schiavone in executive session regarding 2010 board appointments(executive session activities have always been the most poorly kept secret in town), and predictably stabbed by our extremely biased dark side member Mayor and Mr.Becker, I have now been relieved of all city commitments, while allegedly being branded by an out-going Councilmember as one of the most negative citizens/influences in the community. So I am now free as a bird to say what I know and what I please about everything.

It should be a very interesting winter on the message boards!
Can this place survive when the heat gets turned up considerably?

Will there be ANY public support for our Council/Admin and BOE when teir $$$ pleas surface this May?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:02am

At the most recent council meeting I sat next to what some would consider “important” people and during the break for executive session I sat quietly (as I often do) but listening to conversations. When I heard people start to talk about schools and I thought to my self, good I can hear what “important people” think about the whole Superintendent search. But it was only talk about Fenwick or John 23rd. I realized that the “important people” the ones with a voice in this town, could care less about Middletown Public Schools, their kids don’t go there.

So for us citizens that have no voice or say as to what happens here, we are forced to take what those in power say are best for us.  
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:42am
Spider and people wonder why the small business person doesn't step forward.  You are a prime example of what happens when you don't play the game the way they want it played.  It is unfortunate that the Citizens must suffer with these people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic