FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An open reply to Ms. Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An open reply to Ms. Andrew
    Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Mr. Presta, you are reading too much in to the date on a letter. Greg Rasmussen was one of the 30 candidates the School Board reviewed and discussed with the search consultant, and he was one of the 8 we selected for initial interviews. He flew to Middletown for an interview December 11 or 12th. The Board then selected him as one of the three finalists to bring back for a more in-depth round of interviews, including the community forum last night.
Marcia Andrew

Ms. Andrew:

First, let me thank you for addressing our concerns.  However, although you state that I am “reading too much in to the date on a letter”, you add nothing to assuage those concerns.

Certainly you can understand how the Board of Education (BoE) contributed to the public’s skepticism by choosing to conduct the search for a new superintendent under a cloak of secrecy. The BoE continually asked us to believe that you had no knowledge of the identities of these candidates.

Perhaps I “read too much” into Rev, Tyus’s words in his letter-to-the editor dated 12/16/2009 wherein he wrote:

“CSA made over 80-plus contacts, of which they then screened over 60-plus applicants, and then presented 30 resumes to the board. Like any employer, the district wanted to have the largest possible pool of candidates from which to choose.”

Somehow, I “read into” that exactly what it says--that the MCSD BoE had, in their possession “30 resumes…of candidates from which to choose.” prior to your interviews with the “short list” of eight candidates on December 11th and 12th!

Need I remind you that not only Rev. Tyus, but also you and the other three BoE members signed that letter-to-the-editor?

In summary, Rev. Tyus’s letter (signed by the entire BoE) clearly states that the BoE had the resumes of the top THIRTY candidates in their possession not only PRIOR to December 11, but with enough lead time to narrow the THIRTY down to EIGHT with enough additional lead time for those eight to arrange trips to Middletown for interviews over the weekend of December 11. According to The Middletown Journal: “Board members Monday night, Dec. 7 said they have not received from their consultant the names of the candidates they will interview this weekend.”

Am I “reading too much” into this to wonder aloud, if the list had NOT been narrowed down yet from 30 to 8 by the night of December 7, and there were NO MEETINGS of the BoE between the December 7 meeting and the December 11th and 12th interviews, how in the world did the list get narrowed down from THIRTY to EIGHT???

And with all of these apparent conflicts, improbabilities and impossibilities in mind, what would you expect a reasonable person to “read into” the facts that:

1. You had in your possession the resumes of the top 30 (of over 80) applicants (apparently including those of Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin) on December 7, but you did not know their identities.

2. The BoE somehow narrowed this group of 30 down to a shorter list of eight top candidates (apparently including Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin) WITHOUT a BoE meeting in time for arrangements to be made for travel and scheduling to interview these top eight over the weekend of December 11 and 12.

3. On December 16, in a letter-to-the-Editor signed by the entire school board, Rev, Tyus announces the new, shorter short list consisting of: Mr. Rasmussen, Mr. Sommers, and Mr. Martin.

4. On January 6, 2010, the letters-of-interest and resumes of the three finalists are made public. Two of the three (those of Mr. Sommers, who later withdrew, and Mr. Rasmussen) are dated December 15, 2009, well AFTER the BoE were reported to have had same in-hand and just one day before the shorter short-list was revealed. The third letter-of-interest, that of Mr. Martin, had a header indicating that it had been faxed on December 19, 2009, from an unlisted telephone number in Toronto, Ontario, Canada..

5. On January 9th, 2010, someone purporting to be Marcia Andrew posts on MiddletownUSA advising that I am “reading too much in to the date on a letter.”

You see, those five items are already a part of the "record"!  Please tell me, Ms. Andrews, what possible explanation is reasonable and plausible; is consistent the above facts; and does not involve miracles nor Santa’s magic sleigh!

Please lay out for me some scenario that would not require a child-like disbelief of reality to accept.

Please, Ms. Andrews, I want to trust Middletown’s public officials, but in order for that to occur, somehow the facts and what the public officials expect us to believe must somehow be reasonable.

The “record” is the “record”! Please go over the record of what has occurred and provide some logical, plausible explanation that makes everything fit together in a way that a reasonable person would conclude that everything on “the record” is true and above board, and all that follows is logical.

I really do want to hear it. I will try hard to believe! I will try very hard, but you have to give me something to work with!

Regards,

Mike Presta

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 9:55am
Mike that Fax Number belongs to, check the bottom of this document:

BARRY ROWLAND

Senior Search Consultant

Carney, Sandoe & Associates

E-mail: barry.rowland@carneysandoe.com

Tel: 416-656-6415; Fax: 416-651-8531

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 11:31am
Good eye, Pacman!!  but it does beg the question of why a Boston firm with Boston telephone and fax numbers assigned this search to a Senior Search Consultant who apparently operates out of Toronto.

Also interesting is the fact that only Mr. Martin, out of the three finalists, bothered to comply with the last sentence of the Position Description:

"Qualified candidates interested in this opportunity are invited to submit a résumé, and the names

of five references in electronic [WORD or PDF] format to:"

Would this consultant and our esteemed BoE choose someone for this impportant position without checking references?  I am sure that Ms. Andrew will clear this up when she responds to my post.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 12:20pm
Mike what good were the references on Martin's Resume?  He made the final 3 even with all of his baggage.   The BOE leadership states,

"Both Andrew and board member Greg Tyus said the board had been made aware of some of Martin’s issues, but wasn’t able to sift through the rumors and fact; therefore, they decided to select Martin based on his qualification and speak to him directly as part of the interview process."

So they put him on the finalist list anyways.  WHY?  Even if it was all rumors, which I doubt, this district does not need anymore baggage to deal with from a Leadership position. The search firm couldn't clarify the rumors?  So now we are going to possibly give them a second chance.  Which will what drag this out until late Spring early summer at the rate the BOE moves. WHY?  Very poor judgment by all involved in this matter.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 2:02pm
Mr. Presta,

First, I am in fact Marcia Andrew, President of the Middletown Board of Education.  I did post yesterday on this site, to correct an incorrect theory you are expounding. I (like you) believe that a person should be willing to acknowledge their postings and not hide behind anonymous tag names.  I have also learned that if rumors aren't confronted early on, they are repeated until some believe them as verified fact.

I will try to respond to the points in your post.  I went through the history of the search process with the new education reporter for the Middletown Journal, trying to clear up some of the misperceptions, but the Journal did not see fit to report any of my comments.

Carney, Sandoe posted the position description developed by the Board with input from the September forums.  That search firm also actively recruited candidates for the position.  As Mr. Rasmussen stated Friday night, he was not looking for the job and only threw his hat in the ring after being persuaded to do so by Carney, Sandoe.  The search firm then screened the applicants based on our criteria, and presented 30 candidates to the Board at a meeting on November 21.  We discussed the information in the candidates' resumes and their qualifications, including the search consultants' comments on initial telephone interviews he conducted with each of them.

We did not take away from the meeting copies of the resumes, or a list of names, and the search process included the search consultant returning resumes to all candidates. That is why, after we selected the 3 finalists, the Board asked the finalists to provide their resumes and a letter of interest directly to us. As soon as Rev. Tyus received these from the finalists, he turned them over to the Journal pursuant to their public records request. 

The Board, not the consultant, narrowed the field from 30 to 8 for interviews, at the Nov. 21 meeting. However, until the consultant contacted those individuals to confirm their availability for interviews, we did not know for sure who we would be interviewing. As it happened, two withdrew (one had accepted another position, one for health reasons) and the search consultant then contacted the next 2 candidates in order of preference based on our discussions at the Nov. 21 meeting. Although their names had been mentioned, our focus was on their qualifications and experience, not their names, and since we did not have a list of names, we were not able to state them.  The line you quote from the Journal about the Dec. 7th statements appears to have misquoted the unnamed board members. I am sure you will not be surprised that the Journal does not always accurately report the facts or accurately quote people.  (Just last week, it stated that Tyus had been president of the board for 4 years. You and I know that is not correct).

Each of the finalists provided a list of references, and we have called each of those.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Board has no desire to be secret for the sake of secrecy. We chose not to disclose the names of candidates who did not make the finalist cut in order to insure the broadest field in order to find the best person to lead the Middletown schools. Many of the candidates would not have remained in the search if this process was not followed. We have been open about the process we are following, and have sought public input at several stages.

Marcia Andrew 

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 2:49pm
What happened to the gentleman who was awarded the superintendent job last August and then was hospitalized ? And what of the woman who allegedly replaced him temporarily ? The way I understood it we had no less than three people recieving superintendent salary. (As Price's salary continued for some time) Was neither of these people considered for the job or unable to continue ?

I have to agree with Mike Presta on the "air of secrecy". It would appear that the BOE does things amongst themselves and does not bring in the public until the 11th hour,which of course is then to late.

I think the boards approach to their hiring process needs considerable adjustment. Out of all the candidates how in the world does one slip through,I refer to the superintendent of Mansfield,with a record like he has ? Even though he has now withdrawn he should never have  made it past the initial screening.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2010 at 3:31pm
Ms Andrew I am not understanding why or how Martin slipped through the screening process and how he made it to the final 3.  Personally when something like this slips through the system it leads the citizens to question the BOE's actions.  After watching Rasmussen on tape and looking at the Wichita School System I would give him the nod.  Dragging this out for another 3-6 months would not be good. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 2:40am

Ms. Andrew:

Once again, let me thank you for your reply and for taking the time and trouble to try to clear up the issues surrounding the BoE’s search for a new superintendent for the district.

In the interest of optimal clarity, I will insert any comments or questions directly within a copy of your last post, using a different font and color.

First, I am in fact Marcia Andrew, President of the Middletown Board of Education.

I hope that you did not consider my remarks regarding “someone purporting to be Marcia Andrew” to be either accusatory or offensive, as that was not the intent. As you might be aware, imposters do sometimes use the internet to “stir the pot” or otherwise misrepresent the positions of others. I, myself, have been the victim of imposters taking positions that I did not and would not hold.

I did post yesterday on this site, to correct an incorrect theory you are expounding. I (like you) believe that a person should be willing to acknowledge their postings and not hide behind anonymous tag names.

We are certainly in agreement on this point. While I understand that many people have valid reasons for remaining anonymous (such as fear of retribution), I am in a position that leaves me virtually free of such fears. I try to research my positions before I espouse them, and would (and often do) state them in public. I also do my best to correct or retract any erroneous statements I have made to the best of my ability.

I have also learned that if rumors aren't confronted early on, they are repeated until some believe them as verified fact.

I do not take issue with this sentiment. However, in this particular case, I do believe that “rumor” is too harsh of a term. Given the totality of the information available to the general public, when it was available to the general public, what other conclusions could be reasonably reached without blind “leaps of faith”?

I will try to respond to the points in your post. I went through the history of the search process with the new education reporter for the Middletown Journal, trying to clear up some of the misperceptions, but the Journal did not see fit to report any of my comments.

Given the editorial position that The Journal had taken, perhaps the BoE should have publicly corrected the “misperceptions” as they occurred. Certain stances by the BoE obviously were souring the public on the way the process was proceeding, and to allow any misperceptions to continue uncorrected could hardly have been expected to enhance the public’s opinion of the entire affair. At least that is my considered opinion.

Carney, Sandoe posted the position description developed by the Board with input from the September forums. That search firm also actively recruited candidates for the position. As Mr. Rasmussen stated Friday night, he was not looking for the job and only threw his hat in the ring after being persuaded to do so by Carney, Sandoe. The search firm then screened the applicants based on our criteria, and presented 30 candidates to the Board at a meeting on November 21. We discussed the information in the candidates' resumes and their qualifications, including the search consultants' comments on initial telephone interviews he conducted with each of them.

Okay…so far, so good.

We did not take away from the meeting copies of the resumes, or a list of names, and the search process included the search consultant returning resumes to all candidates.

The resumes were returned to “all candidates” after the November 21 meeting but prior to the December 11/12 meetings? And no BoE member or employee of the MCSD kept any list of names or made notes of the names of the eight (or more) initial “short list” candidates? This is one area where, at least for me, credulity begins to be “strained”. Ms. Andrew, please recall the following from The Journal’s December 9th editorial:

“At its Nov. 21 meeting, the board claimed that the consultant's representative brought all information about approximately 30 applicants into the meeting in a box and then took all documents - including board members' notes! - with him. That ruse was used so that the board could say with a straight face that it has no documents that must be shared with the public.

This week, board President Greg Tyus said the board will interview eight candidates on Dec. 11 and 12. Board members said Dec. 7 that they have not even received the names of the candidates from the consultant - so they allegedly don't know who they will be interviewing.”

Once again, Ms. Andrew, I want to believe this, but I am having difficulty in doing so. Allow me to explain why:

If I now understand correctly, CSA presented the BoE with the resumes of THIRTY applicants on November 21, and took back those resumes at the end of the meeting. In order to select the top ten (minimum) and rank them at the very least as a top eight, plus two alternates (as you seem to indicate) one might assume that copies were made--at least one copy of each resume for each BoE member. It would seem unfathomable that the consultant and all five BoE members could impartially choose the ten best candidates out of thirty applicants while working off of a single, original resume of each of the thirty applicants, so would I be correct in assuming that five copies of each resume were made? If so, this means that the thirty originals and 150 copies were retrieved by CSA at the end of the meeting, along with ALL notes made by the BoE or MCSD staff. Is that what you are asking us to believe? I also am confused as to why “the search process included the search consultant returning resumes to all candidates.” It would seem to be a simple matter for the search consultant to destroy all of the resumes and copies. What possible benefit to anyone could it be to take the time, and go to the trouble and expense of returning them? I hope that you can understand why I am having difficulty with this.

That is why, after we selected the 3 finalists, the Board asked the finalists to provide their resumes and a letter of interest directly to us.

Forgive me, I guess that I am a tad slow. Let me be sure that I have this right: The BoE engaged a consultant (CSA), at a cost to the district in excess of $25K, to find suitable candidates for MCSD Superintendent. The consultant brought the resumes of about 30 candidates to Middletown where those thirty were short-listed to a group of eight, plus at least two alternates on or about November 21. After this meeting, all originals and copies (if any) of all resumes, along with all notes made by the BoE or any of the district’s staff, were collected by the consultant and the resumes were returned to the respective candidates. Then interviews were arranged with these eight candidates with the BoE, in Middletown, over the weekend of December 11. (It is unclear to me whether or not the BoE had access to resumes or their earlier notes or not during these interviews , or if the BoE was reminded of the identities of the interviewees.) At some point after these interviews, the BoE further shortened the list to three apparent finalists, “the Board” asked the finalists to provide their resumes directly to the BOARD. Mr. Sommers and Mr. Rasmussen apparently did so. However, somehow Mr. Martin’s resume, which I understood was included as one of those described above in your statement: “the search process included the search consultant returning resumes to all candidates” mysteriously was faxed from the consultant’s 416 telephone on December 19th. Are we to understand that Mr. Martin happened to be visiting with the consultant, at their office when “the Board asked the finalists to provide their resumes and a letter of interest directly to us.”? Or did Mr. Martin misunderstand your request, date it September 23, and send it instead to CSA even though it was addressed to the BoE in Middletown, and CSA forwarded it via fax merely as a courtesy?

As soon as Rev. Tyus received these from the finalists, he turned them over to the Journal pursuant to their public records request.

The Board, not the consultant, narrowed the field from 30 to 8 for interviews, at the Nov. 21 meeting. However, until the consultant contacted those individuals to confirm their availability for interviews, we did not know for sure who we would be interviewing. As it happened, two withdrew (one had accepted another position, one for health reasons) and the search consultant then contacted the next 2 candidates in order of preference based on our discussions at the Nov. 21 meeting.

Well, I certainly do not blame you for being unsure who you “would be interviewing.” I am having difficulty following this process and I have the luxury of being able to go back over it as often as I feel necessary. It is truly mind-numbing (and I can make notes and keep them and refer to them as frequently as I like!)

Although their names had been mentioned, our focus was on their qualifications and experience, not their names, and since we did not have a list of names, we were not able to state them.

I must commend you for being able to be sure that you actually kept them straight and ended up with the intended three finalists, given that their names had only been “mentioned”, that you had no notes, you had no resumes, nor even “a list of names”!

The line you quote from the Journal about the Dec. 7th statements appears to have misquoted the unnamed board members. I am sure you will not be surprised that the Journal does not always accurately report the facts or accurately quote people. (Just last week, it stated that Tyus had been president of the board for 4 years. You and I know that is not correct).

No, Ms. Andrew, it does not surprise me that The Journal misquoted someone, especially given the intricacy of the proceedings that you have outlined. In fact, it appears that The Journal was at odds with your story not only in their story on December 7, but also in their editorial on December 9th. What does surprise me is that you (you, the BoE--not you personally) did not try to correct the record earlier. I can assure you that I would have done so at the earliest possible opportunity! And if The Journal would not print such clarifications, I would have addressed the public in the “Comments” at the end of The Journal’s articles and editorials, and in public forums such as here on MiddletownUSA.

Each of the finalists provided a list of references, and we have called each of those.

Contrary to popular opinion, the Board has no desire to be secret for the sake of secrecy. We chose not to disclose the names of candidates who did not make the finalist cut in order to insure the broadest field in order to find the best person to lead the Middletown schools. Many of the candidates would not have remained in the search if this process was not followed. We have been open about the process we are following, and have sought public input at several stages.

I will not comment on these last remarks at this time.

Thank you once again for your continued efforts to aid us in understanding the process accurately!
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 7:41am

Ms Andrew,

Thank you for posting on this website.  I do want to say that I am a mother of 3 in the Middletown School District, so if at times I come a little cross - well it is a little personal.  Mr Presta brings up a lot of concerns regarding this process.  I am not hear to debate if they are accurate or not - but tell you where there is smoke there is usually fire.  I do not believe for one minute that you would review resumes, take notes and give all of that back.  Please do not insult our intelligence on this one.  I am utterly disgusted by the fact that Martin could have made it to the final 3.  Even if what you say is true and you did not have his name, should the consultant that you paid good tax payer money too, let you know there could have been an issue with this candidate.  All of the secrecy (for whatever reason) is why the school board does not get support and why levies do not pass.  The forum last week - why was it to be set up with no questions from the parents/citizens?  The majority of the people do not trust any of you, therefore that just added fuel to the fire that there was already a decision made.  We all want Middletown Schools put back on the map of success, but it take more then just the school board - you are not the experts, none of us are.  Please listen to what everyone is saying and be more open.  Otherwise you have lost everyones respect and backing.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:35am
Mr. Presta,

As to the facts, I think we are down to very minor details.  When the 3 finalists were asked to send their resumes and letters of interest to Rev. Tyus, 2 did just that. Martin apparently misunderstood, and sent his resume and his older letter of interest to Carney, Sandoe (who had been handling all communications prior to that point).  I respect that you may form a different opinion from those facts than I do; that's human nature.

There is not enough time in the day to correct all the errors the Journal makes, and the delay in getting letters to the editor printed means the correction comes out after everyone has made up their minds. That is in fact one reason why I decided to wade into the "enemy camp" here with my post.

Bobbie,

I can only tell you the truth, I can't force you to believe it.  Many people in the community, particularly ones who have had experience recruiting and hiring employees, have told the Board that they understand why we used the process we did, and agree with it. 

As to not structuring the candidate forum to allow for citizen questions, this was primarily to keep the forum focused on the major issues of concern to the community, given we did not have an unlimited amount of time.  An "open mike" would have been likely to lead to side-tracking the forum to narrow questions of interest to only one or a few people.  As it happened, the candidate agreed on his own initiative to stay after the event and answer questions directly.  If you had attended the forum, you would have had the opportunity to meet him.

The bottom line is, we are trying to hire a superintendent who can bring academic achievement to this district, while controlling costs. Have you watched the candidate forum on TV Middletown? As a parent, what are your views on whether Mr. Rasmussen would be a good superintendent?  (I don't know if you are aware, but I have 3 children in the district as well. I have a direct stake in seeing the schools improve).

Marcia Andrew
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:40am
Bobbie, no need to go to TVMiddletown, you can view the forum here.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:47am
I did attend Friday's forum and was pleased with some of the answers I heard from Mr. Rasmussen. Think he would be a a fit...JMO 
I will say this kids or no kids will all have a stake in the school system.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:54am
Ms Andrews - you are jumping the gun by stating I was not there - I was.  Please read carefully, I asked why the forum was set up for no questions.  Many people in the community also do not agree with the way things were handled by the BoE.  I am sure just as many as you say do.  I would even venture to say if you asked individuals they would agree with you and then tell others they do not.  By your remark about "open mike" and side tracking - you must not think to highly of alot of the citizens in Middletown.  As I take offense to that.  A question you might have - may not be important to me or my family, that does not mean it is any less irrelevant. I agree with your bottem line - I have no issues with Mr Rasmussen, not sure if he is the best candidate - as I was not privy to the other resumes to compare.  But the BoE needs to have an open door policy.  Will the BoE be more open?
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:57pm

To Andrews, just what do you mean when you call us the emeny? I hope you realize that you are speaking to the property owners and tax payers that you so desperately need when you want a levy pass. You using a term like that will surely create more enemies

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

...  Mr Presta brings up a lot of concerns regarding this process.  I am not hear to debate if they are accurate or not -...

Bobbie,

I am here to get the ACCURATE version of events.  My only interest is the TRUTH!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:25am

Ms. Andrew:

I am glad to hear that: “As to the facts, I think we are down to very minor details.”

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I very much want to understand and believe the BoE’s version of the way this transpired. To that end, I have attempted to edit the last summary of my understanding: 

Forgive me, I guess that I am a tad slow. Let me be sure that I have this right: The BoE engaged a consultant (CSA), at a cost to the district in excess of $25K, to find suitable candidates for MCSD Superintendent. The consultant received about 80 resumes and, using the Board’s criteria, screened the group down to the thirty most appropriate. The consultant brought the resumes of about 30 candidates to Middletown where those thirty were short-listed to a group of eight, plus at least two alternates on or about November 21. After this meeting, all originals and copies (if any) of all resumes, along with all notes made by the BoE or any of the district’s staff, were collected by the consultant and the resumes were returned to the respective candidates. Then interviews were arranged with these eight candidates with the BoE, in Middletown, over the weekend of December 11. (It is unclear to me whether or not the BoE had access to resumes or their earlier notes or not during these interviews , or if the BoE was reminded of the identities of the interviewees.) At some point after these interviews, the BoE further shortened the list to three apparent finalists, “the Board” asked the finalists to provide their resumes directly to the BOARD. Mr. Sommers and Mr. Rasmussen apparently did so. However, somehow Mr. Martin’s original cover letter and resume, which I understood was included as one of those described above in your statement: “the search process included the search consultant returning resumes to all candidates” mysteriously was faxed from the consultant’s 416 telephone on December 19th. Are we to understand that Mr. Martin happened to be visiting with the consultant, at their office when “the Board asked the finalists to provide their resumes and a letter of interest directly to us.”? Or did Martin misunderstand your request, date it September 23, and send it was mistakenly sent by Mr. Martin instead back to CSA even though it was addressed to the BoE in Middletown, and CSA forwarded it via fax merely as a courtesy?.

Is this now correct, or are there still discrepancies between my understanding and the actual events?

Also, can you clarify whether or not the BoE had available to them copies of the resumes of the eight candidates interviewed on December 11th and 12th, and if so, what happened to those resumes and any notes made by the BoE or any MCSD employees after those interviews ended?

Thank you once again for helping us to understand this convoluted process.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:35am

Tomahawk:  Exactly!  In my humble opinion, the majority of the people who frequent this Forum are interested in "the TRUTH" and are often frustrated by the lack of communication between our elected/appointed officials and the citizenry.  If this makes them see us as "the enemy" even though they are, by THEIR choice, the "public servants", so be it.

When I was in high school (long before most of these folks) there was a required course called "Civics".  In that course we were taught that the government, and all government officials, were accountable to THE PEOPLE.

Perhaps things changed after I graduated and I was too busy working to have heard the news.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 7:10am
We are the "enemy camp" in YOUR mind, Ms.Andrew?
As BoE pres, r u speaking for the entire board?

So--should the BoE be considered the "enemy camp" by those posting here?

I hab never loloked at it that way.
I know most of the BoE members, and have never considered ANY of them my enemy at any time.

Once again you talk down and denigrate the concerned citizen.
That is obviously your mindset, and it will cost you and the system(unfortunately) down the road.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 7:24am

Quote That is in fact one reason why I decided to wade into the "enemy camp" here with my post.

Ms Andrew why are we the "enemy camp"?  Is it because we don't sit here and stare at the walls and just nod in agreement with everything that the BOE and City does, as most Residents do?  Is it because we want to ask questions and get answers to those questions?  I mean really why are we the enemy?

I applaud your decision yesterday to proceed with Mr. Rasmussen and move this process forward.  But like many others find the BOE's way of selecting a Super., rather odd.  I also find it even harder to believe that Martin got so far in the process. without anyone saying, "wait a minute, something is wrong here."  It would seem to mean that your process is flawed if Martin could get so far along with so many potential candidates.

This is what causes us to question what is going on along with the lack of progress in The school system.  We all have a vested interest in a better school system and want the same thing........improvement.

Signed
The ENEMY CAMP

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:26pm
Mr. Presta,
I believe that your edited summary is factually correct, with the one qualification that I do not have first-hand knowledge of exactly how Martin's resume and cover letter came to us, as I was not directly in that loop. I believe that he misunderstood Rev. Tyus' request and faxed it to Carney, Sandoe, who emailed it to Rev. Tyus.

At the first round of interviews, the candidates brought copies of their resumes with them, and took them home. Any personal notes taken by board members during those interviews were either retained or discarded by the board member.

I want to apologize for any offense taken by my "enemy camp" comment.  No offense was intended.  Then, as now, I put the phrase in quotes.  What I meant was a reference to what I sense from posters on this website (and yes, I am generalizing right now; there are definitely exceptions) as an attitude of "us versus them" whenever government (city council and school board especially) are discussed.  Other occasional posters have also noted this hostility in the past.  Perhaps you and Tomahawk and Spiderjohn do not see this because you post here so frequently and have become used to it. This is just my perception and you don't have to agree with it; however, it's also not very productive to a dialogue to have 4 posters jump all over me for the use of 2 words. I'm here, I'm trying to answer your questions.

Marcia Andrew
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 1:29pm
Spiderjohn, I do not speak for the entire board when I post here.  Just myself.  The other board members may or may not agree with every word I post here; I do not clear it with them before posting.

Marcia Andrew
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 3:31pm
Fair enough, Ms.Andrew

Please remember that we are not opposition litigants.
We are concerned citizens of Middletown.
The voters who chose to put every BoE member in office.
The parents of the children in the Middletown School system.
The taxpayers watching our property values and city disintegrate before our eyes.

We want good schools.
We want a responsive, productive superintendant.
We want an open positive dialog with the BoE
We care about our children,schools, community and ourselves.

If you kick your dog every day, eventually he will get angry and bite you.

Please approach us as caring equals, and I would expect you to be treated similarly.
Maybe be the bigger person, and make the first step in that direction.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 3:54pm

Fair enough, Spiderjohn.  I will remember that, if you will remember that I also am a member of all the categories you list. I am a also a voter, a concerned citizen, a parent and a taxpayer.  I want good schools, a responsive,  productive superintendent, and an open positive dialog with the community.  Seems if we can agree on all of that, we can stay focused on the big picture.

As to taking the first step, I thought I had, by joining this forum and trying to honestly answer questions.

Marcia Andrew
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 5:57pm
Yes Ms.Andrew--you have made a very bold and encouraging step.
For that I congratulate and thank you.
My bad for not recognizing you as also being one of us, and expect to be treated accordlngly.
Please remember that we don't always agree or get along--lol

Welcome to this corner of our world!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:12pm
I also want to thank President Andrew for coming on here and addressing people's concerns.

Good Luck Marcia, may we finally see progress under your leadership.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic