Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Middletown Schools Superintendent Rasmussen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Middletown Schools Superintendent Rasmussen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Middletown Schools Superintendent Rasmussen
    Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:13pm
School board to open negotiations with superintendent candidate
Board unanimously votes to begin contract talks with Greg Rasmussen

By Marie Rossiter, Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN — The Middletown Board of Education unanimously voted Monday, Jan. 11, to enter into contract negotiations with Greg Rasmussen to be the district’s next superintendent.

“He has a lot of good experience and qualifications for the job,” said board President Marcia Andrew.
Andrew said the board’s decision was solidified by responses from the public who either met with Rasmussen during his time in Middletown last week or attended the Friday, Jan. 8, candidate forum.

“The vast majority felt he could rebuild relationships that had been broken within the district and between the district and the community,” Andrew said.

Rasmussen, 50, who is assistant superintendent of elementary education for Wichita Public Schools in Wichita, Kan., could not be reached for comment.

Contact this reporter at (513) 696-4542 or mrossiter@coxohio.com.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:23pm
I'm ok with this decision
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:30pm
I'm with you Randy  Thumbs%20Up
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:14am
open negotiations doesn't mean it's a done deal... I've seen BOEs fail to agree to a contract with a superintendent candidate before.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 10:07am

Marianne, I agree it is not a done deal, I believe that he no doubt wants the job and the BoE wants him and I think  they realize we they need to move this through and get the ball rolling on some changes.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 6:56pm
What a mindless and expedient decision. kansas has a funding system quite different than Ohio. Arguably, Middletown's biggest problems are at the high school level as it sets precedant and reputation downward through the elementary schools. This man is an assistant of elementary education facilities in Kansas, a small state which Ohio dwarf's in population. And he's giving up his retirement perkos to come to Ohio? The retained search firm must have told him about the generosity of Ohio to "double-dippers" so if he can take his Kansas retirement plan into Ohio, last 5 years, at the ripe old age of 55 he starts the golden dip.

You have to be kidding. A Kansas assistant superintendant is brought in so the school board can tell him what to do...just like the interim city manager who brought in his friend from Dayton after getting paid $75,000 to find her. Franklin had an outstanding Assistant Superintendant who they hired TO BE superintendant. It is remarkable this hire was made for ease of convenience and the "last man standing."

But, since he is from out of state, it appears many believe as long as this man is open, we'll support him (and the accompanying tax levey). No one from outside Middletown runs Middletown. Outsiders are hired to allow "insiders" to run Middletown. I find this an absolutely astonishing hire. Upon reading his cv and cover letter, all I can say is why on earth did I not enter public administration. That cover letter wouldn't have gotten an entry level job a a F500, but in this city..."you are hired."

This levey should be soundly defeated, but Middletown residents don't think with their heads nor pocket books, in fact, I'm not sure how they make decisions.      
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 8:34pm
acclaro, you are an idiot!!! If you were really informed you would realize that the levy is a renewal. It is operating money that has been in place for a number of years. It represents 21% of the total budget!
Lets try this, You take a 21% cut in your household budget and see if you can survive. The schools are not asking for anything new, just trying to keep what we have now! Do you not remember no busing, pay to play for everything? Do you not want to see this city come back to what it was? This new individual has the insight to run this district. Wichita may be larger but has the same problems we do! If you did your home work, you would know that 70% of our students are on free and reduced lunch. So is Wichita, and he has been a part of a system that has figured out how to get results!

As  to your point about double dipping, wouldn't you? If you had a chance to retire and get you retirement, and take another position and earn more for your family, wouldn't you? If you say no then you prove my point you really are an idiot!Angry
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:25pm
I cant agree with the idiot comment, it wouldn't be right for an admin to call people names Wink I can say that Mr. Rasmussen may be just what this school needs. You cant say he will be a puppet as you suggest, we dont know this guy to say such a thing. I was at the meet the candidates forum and heard the man speak, he could be just what we need. Would you prefer to have price back or maybe we should go after Martin again.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 9:29pm
Smile
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 2:35pm
Obviously smartman and Randy are gearing up with children in the system. As for the idiot commentin my opinion its idiotic to think there is not an assistant superintendant in Middletown capable of stepping in. Anyone who thinks one individual can turn this ship around epitomizes the term Smartman so rudely used. Typical Middletown though, happy with someone outside the state who entered into the fray associated with working with the retained search firm on previous opportunities. Oh well, we'll see the results in 5 years won't we. Smartman, you must be a teacher or public employee; love that double dip mentality.

Geek'  
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 13 2010 at 3:08pm
acclaro, They needed t look out of of the area. Have you looked downtown? None of those folks are capable of leading the district. They were looking for someone who has had success in a district like ours. I believe the BOE has found such a person. Mr Rasmuesen has what it takes. To answer you , No I am not a teacher, nor a public employee. I am a manager for a large retailer. Hiring quality folks is important. We need our students coming out of school to have good solid education, whether they attend college or not. A good school system brings in business. Mr Rasmuesen has the vision that it is going to take. My reason for supporting this decision? I have kids in the district and I want the best for them!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 10:32am
Rasmussen is a life-long Kansan; if he's hired, it would be his first professional job outside Kansas, and his first time as a superintendent.

Rasmussen has been with Kansas' largest school district for nine years, and has been assistant superintendent since 2005; he's been responsible for the preschool-through-5th-grade programs for 25,000 students in 58 schools.

Rasmussen has also worked for Riley County public schools, Smoky Valley public schools, and the Kansas Department of Education.

Source: http://www.knssradio.com/2010/01/13/wichitakansas/Wichita-Educator-May-Be-Leaving/6107986
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 10:53am
I might disagree with Aclarro on one key point:
He stresses that the new super is mostly experienced in elementary education, and has little experience with the hs level(this in his mind, being a major detriment).

To me--the absolute key to improvement and sustained academic success is getting through to the students at entry level and before. If we teach them correct habits and early academic achievement then, we should have a much higher success level down the road. Create a new mindset that educaion is extremely important,. and achievement is both "cool" and rewarding. Non-effort and failure is simply not acceptable early on, and every effort should be made to get that complete turnaround as early as possible.

Unfortunately(imo), we probably can't do nearly as much(immediately) for the current HS classes, and we will probably lose another generation to the sos.

The new super, in conjunction with the BoE and school staffing must parner/target the parents early on when identifying attendance/non-performance situations.

This was a key stance of mine in the failed 2nd ward Weed/Seed effort.
It can be re-inforced by parnering with the MCF Dolly Parton Imagination Library Program(any updayes on the progress since initial reports)?

jmo
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:51pm
Spider,

Excellent observation. 

I think that nearly everyone will agree that the younger we are able to set a child's direction the better.  Besides, during the adolescent years both the students and the parents are forced to deal with a whole new and more wide-ranging set of problems challenges.  This makes it even more difficult to try to correct bad habits or change mindsets developed during the earlier academic years. 

The odds for "turnarounds" are much worse than the odds for the continuation of good habits and mindsets (in my humble opinion.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic