FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unbelieveable !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unbelieveable !!
    Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:45pm
I was actually shocked,shocked I say to see one of the headlines in the Journal under local news. "Bar hoping girls a hit" proclaimed the headline."Girls gone wild coming to town".

Is this the only way we can generate business in this town ?!! I'm no saint,but where is the shame in printing a headline like this on the front page of local news ? Why wasn't it buried somewhere else in the paper ?

Vet,Randy,Mike,January 18th,8pm,....I'll meet you at the bar. Shocked LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:39pm
Hermes, this is fantastic! What a double-header for the city entertainment venue! First, we have a story where two girls are slinging dog poop at each other in an apartment. Now, we have the Girls Gone Wild Tour Bus pulling in to a bar in town! I'm tellin' ya, it just doesn't get any better than this. I'm wondering...... will city council be there as kind of a "Welcome Wagon"? Will Mayor Lawrence Mulligan Jr. be there to read a proclamation? How about cut a ribbon or award a plaque? We, my friend, are being put on the national map as we speak as we accumulate all of this upscale entertainment to boost the image of our welfare, Section 8, slumlord metropolis! Thanks, city council, city manager and all, for making us what we are....... The envy of all surrounding communities!!!!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:57pm
Hermes, I am going down there at least to take a picture, of the bus ofcourse Wink
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Hermes, I am going down there at least to take a picture, of the bus ofcourse Wink

Randy - Park around back & come in the back door. We can't let anyone see us outstanding citizens hanging out there. LOL 

Now we know where council is going on that so called retreat !! Shocked

Vet - LOL Clap
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:48pm
I wonder if Honest Dave will be there (on the clock, of course) to see if an "emergency situation" develops, as part of his duties for his new court gig???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 9:00pm
Hmm...I had the Comedy Channel on late the other night and I thought I heard a commercial for a new DVD due out soon:  Girls Gone Wild: Women of City Hall.  Just a coincidence???
LOL LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:03am
Today is the day!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:27am
Today is the day and no reminder in the Journal about this epic event. How sad. I hear ya Randal Eugene! I'm excited about it too. This anticipation would compare to Light Up Middletown, the Balloon Nationals a few years ago, All American Weekend (also years ago), the announcement about Lake Middletown and City Center Mall, the lighting of the Christmas tree on Governor's Square and the excitement created by Ann Mort's "Spruce 'Em Up" folks! I do hope that selected members of Council, the City Manager and her merry men (and other dignitaries) take advantage of this photo op and continue helping Middletown be all it can be!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:30am
Vet, I am going to go down get a pic or two of the bus, but I have a better story I would like look into. How do the businesses around this club feel about all this? How is it going to help or hurt them? Thats what I want to know.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 11:48am
Let's see..... a paint store, a tax service, a credit union, a bank, a dry cleaner,a car wash, a professional business park, a storage facility, a nails place, a pizza delivery place, a barber shop, others I can't recall. How do these businesses benefit by Girls Going Wild and the ensuing party that will happen tonight? Need to find a connection. If nothing else, it will be a huge positive PR opportunity to market the city for potential employers and middle class families to locate..... right? Think they'll invite the dog poop slingin' girls to join in? Will this be a You Tube segment or used by our Econ. Dev. folks?

Hey, just kidding!........maybe.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 12:28pm
Well once again Middeltown makes the afternoon news on channel 9,I assume someone put out a press release.

Vet-I know how those surrounding business's will profit....first stop tax office to get that advance on tax return....second stop credit union to make a large withdraw....third stop nail salon,get those long dirty nails done.....fourth stop barber shop and get a nice haircut for the nights events....fifth stop car wash,never know when you might take one of those girls home with you.....as for the rest I think you get the picture. LOL
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 1:32pm
There HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 2:09pm
well--they dis patronize the local SAVEALOT, buying a large quantity of honey, whipped cream etc.

Yes--more so than many visitors, they did support our local economy, and more importantly our locally-owned small businesses!

So--you can have the "artsy" and political visitors who come to town expecting everyone to bow and give them everything at no charge--just give me the
GIRLS GONE WILD!!!!!!!!!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 2:45pm
Spider - What are they going to do with honey & whipped cream ?

Is there going to be a pie making contest ? LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 6:57pm
I wonder if they will be having a trivia contest there tonight???  (You know...just to attract those "academia" types.)

It would be tough to "out-score" those Girls Gone Wild babes, though.  LOL LOL LOL
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2010 at 7:23pm
Honey and whipped cream! HMMM. imagine that!Tongue I wonder how many of Middletowns trashiest folks will be there? Just think about all the unwmployment and welfare checks being spent! Damn I wish I could go, but wrestling is on tonight!Cry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 7:08am
Well alrighty! Article in today's Journal says that the 165 people crowded into Reflections had a good time last night. Just a DUI, some marijuana and a few drunk and disorderlies- not bad. What was troubling about the article was a section that said there were some detractors concerning this event. Apparently SOME folks can't see the big picture and were critical saying that they didn't want to see "scantily-clad, intoxicated" girls involved in this shindig. I'll tell you....... some people just can't seem to get with the PR- image- spin doctors in YOUR city government. Don't they know by now that this whole "Hustler/Bristols/Girls Gone Wild (Lion's Den bookstore next in line for Middletown perhaps?????) theme is a real image maker and when coupled with our HUD funded, lower income saturated, " poor slum/naughty city" culture that our city leaders are trying to grow will put us on the map to attract only the best? Shees....some of you Middletown folks need to get with the program!   

Did any of our dignitaries stop by? Great photo op. How about those fightin' dog poop gals?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 8:12am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Did any of our dignitaries stop by??
Well, Vet, none were apparent in the 29 on-line photos posted by The Journal.  Of course, those photos did not show the VIP luxury boxes where city oficials, no doubt, would have commandeered space.

I guess we'll have to wait for Randy to post his report.

As I glanced through the 29 photos, I did see several aquaintances, some of whom I was surprised to see in attendance and some who would've surprised me if they weren't there. Star
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 9:47am
A successful night in Middletown ! Congratulations all around for such a fantastic event & minimal arrest ! No killings,shootings or stabbings,truly an event for the history books of Middletown. Such a prideful event deserves recognition by our city leaders. I think the city should make a declaration & declare an emergency in recognizing this historical moment. Perhaps the city could secure financial funding in the way of stimulus monies to help out on events such as this.

With the Hustler store in Monroe maybe we can get good ole boy Larry to come to town and host a party. Maybe even get our own Hustler store !!

Middeltown has potential !! Clap
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 10:25am
I have posted my take on the event here Girls Gone Wild In Middletown.  Hermes, I disagree with a lot that has been said about this whole thing. Now Girls gone wild is not my kind of thing, but if I was a business owner in this town and my business was struggling I would do what ever I thought might help. I dont think anyone could say they wouldn't do the same. We may not agree with it, but it worked.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 10:34am
One last thought, what would you rather have in town, Girls Gone Wild for one day or another closed bussiness?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 10:52am
Both good points Randy,I'm just being sarcastic because it had so much publicity & I'm old school and in my opinion an event such as this is not what I would like to see Middeltown be known for.

I'm sure it was good for business & I'm sure some serious money was made,but to me this is more of a black eye for the city. Should we become the Newport of the north just so bars can stay in business ? Girls Gone Wild does not have the best reputation,as a company anyway. If I were 30 years younger I may have been there,but age has a way of changing ones perspective.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 11:32am
OK- just took a look at the 29 pictures Mike was referring to in the Journal. Why is it the girls in the Girls Gone Wild promos look a little better than the ones in these pictures? Do you mean to tell me the promos don't represent the ones you get at an event like this? Was looking for some of our leaders in the pics having fun. Didn't see any. Where's the support from our leaders in a major social event like this? Disappointed in the lack of representation. Randy- we're all having fun with this, although I can't see any positives in doing things like this for the city's image. I'm sure it has already given us a with surrounding communities. The old "what do you expect, it's Middletown" hurts us. Yes, it may stimulate this particular kind of business in the short term, but how much residual damage does it do to the city overall? IMO, I don't view this as a positive.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 11:58am
see, I do agree that it is not a great image, but this a free country and if people want to see this type of thing then should be able to. It's not my kind of thing but that does not mean it shouldn't be allowed here. This owner is having a bad time with business and is doing what she can to stay open. I think a Friday or Saturday night may have looked better.

What is a better image, city council fighting like the Schiavone,  Williams days or this? Hermes I am the age you are talking about, and i didn't go, nor would I even if I was single. Vet, the Journal chose what pics to post the could have done a better job with this.

I dont think we can condemn one business owners approach to staying open. If anything we should be talking about the fact that the Journal puts this on there front page (on line) but wont let you leave a comment, or how this makes front page news but a day care center having a fundraiser doesn't even make the paper.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2010 at 3:33pm
Randy- in your 2nd paragraph you ask- "What is a better image, city council fighting like the Schiavone/Williams days or this?"

IMO- Neither has a place in helping our city recover from the image destruction it has seen in recent years. The bickering and hostility of the Schiavone/Williams days (with some behind the scenes badgering from Noah Powers) hurt the credibility of council. I'm still not convinced Council has recovered from those days as to being taken seriously and has, in fact, been the butt of many jokes outside of this forum.

The Reflections/Girls Gone Wild scenario just adds ammunition to the already "seedy" image of this city, regardless of the reason for the event. IMO, it isn't the REASON it was held- ie. to boost a bar's business, but rather,after the fact, the notion that this town has turned into a real-life pictorial example of an "Appalachia/poor/destitute/low-life/slum-like/welfare burg with no hope for recovery on it's current course. After the event has come and gone, what opinion of Middletown is left for people to identify with? Can't be a respectable one, can it? Not with this kind of entertainment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic