FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

May levy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 4:32am

Perhaps I can shed some light on some of the confusion over the financial data in question.

(Please bear in mind that this data is directly from the Ohio Departmentf Education, and NOT from me.  I am merely the messenger.)
**********************************************************************************************

OHIO DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

CENTER FOR SCHOOL FINANCE - SIMULATION, FOUNDATION AND ANALYSIS UNIT

DISTRICT PROFILE REPORT FOR CITY, EXEMPTED VILLAGE AND LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICTS

IRN: 44404 DISTRICT: Middletown City SD COUNTY: Butler

CITY, E.V.        
                                                                                                   SIMILAR            & LOCAL S.D.        
                                                                                DISTRICT          DISTRICT         STATEWIDE        
                                                                                      DATA            AVERAGE             AVERAGE       

A - DEMOGRAPHIC DATA:                                                                                                              
      1) SCHOOL DISTRICT AREA SQUARE MILEAGE (FY10)                                26.00             15.19             67.71        
      2) DISTRICT PUPIL DENSITY (FY10)                                            281.72            393.09             43.08        
      3) TOTAL AVERAGE DAILY MEMBERSHIP (FY09)                                   7,324.72          5,971.25        2,916.83         
       4) ASIAN/PACIFIC ISLANDER STUDENTS AS % OF TOTAL (FY09)                    0.55              0.59              1.62        
      5) BLACK STUDENTS AS % OF TOTAL (FY09)                                       17.97             31.55             14.59        
      6) AMERI INDIAN/ALASKAN NATIVE STUDENTS AS % OF TOT (FY09)               0.14              0.18              0.14        
      7) HISPANIC STUDENTS AS % OF TOTAL (FY09)                                     4.03              3.06              2.65        
      8) WHITE STUDENTS AS % OF TOTAL (FY09)                                       70.29             57.18             77.35        
      9) MULTIRACIAL STUDENTS AS % OF TOTAL (FY09)                                  7.02              7.45              3.64        
     10) % OF STUDENTS IN POVERTY (FY09)                                            7.46              9.66              5.13        
     11) PBA INDEX (FY09)                                                           1.46              1.88              1.00        
     12) % OF STUDENTS WITH DISABILITY (FY09)                                      17.30             15.47             13.53        
(Sorry about formatting. this was best I could do copying from State web site.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 4:39am
NO, I don't agree with the poverty %-age either.  However, perhaps the camparison between MCSD, Similar District average, and statewide average is of some value...or, maybe not.

I copied and pasted this directly from the ODE website.  I think that the webmaster's name is Helen Waite.  If you have any complaints, do NOT complain to me!!!  Go to Helen Waite!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 7:20am
Pat- you state, "it is a fact that poorer children require more resources ($$$) to educate them". Nope.....not necessarily. There are communities that are as poor as Middletown that are providing a quality education for their students on less money per student than Middletown is spending, which is around $11,000 per student. Little Miami (or New Miami) ...one of the "Miami's" is poor and performing better with less dollars than Middletown. It can be done without constantly throwing money at a problem and without breaking the backs of the taxpayer by throwing away failed education methods of the past, visiting successful schools, taking notes and emulating procedures that work. We have seen poor test results FOR YEARS and the indicator has been stuck on 5 of 30 FOR YEARS. If we know this, the school folks have to know it......so why would you continue to use the same failed educational procedures, year after year, if you knew the outcome was destined to fail? Then, the ultimate irony.... you expect us taxpayers to finance more of the same. Not logical. Just reluctant and stubborn to change. If you want more money, change your ways. You show us some improvement and we'll show you the money.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 7:35am
The school system is down to the bones on cuts? What about Alberico? Do we need a spokesperson for the schools as infrequently as she is needed? Can't someone answer the phone call from the Journal and make a statement? Does it take a special position (and high salary) to do that? How about a Director of Curriculum? Do we need a highly paid salaried position for that? Can't we incorporate some of the duties into other retained positions? How about the football coach being hired to monitor truancy? How about working that into the assistant principals job? Why do we need multiple assistant principals at these schools? As I understand it, Middletown High has at least 3 or 4 assistant principals. Why? What do they do all day...every day to occupy their time? Some fairly high salaries here, right? How many psychologists/counselors are in the system? If many, are they busy on a consistent basis? If not, why are we paying them that high salary?

And on and on.....
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 8:16am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Little Miami (or New Miami) ...one of the "Miami's" is poor and performing better with less dollars than Middletown.

Auditor Places the Little Miami Local School District in Fiscal Watch

Auditor of State Mary Taylor placed the Little Miami Local School District in "Fiscal Watch" on Thursday, March 11, moving it one step closer to state takeover. The declaration was made because the district is projecting a deficit that could climb to as much as $10 million.

"Little Miami Local School officials face some tough financial decisions in the weeks and months ahead," Ms. Taylor said.

The district has already implemented extensive cuts over the last several years, totaling approximately $7 million. However, a decline in state funding has meant troubling times for the growing district.

"Little Miami is gaining attention around the state," said Superintendent Dan Bennett. "We are an excellently-rated, growing district, but we aren't surviving financially. We are an anomaly, and we've gotten the attention of the Governor and State Superintendent."

The Auditor of State's office completed a performance audit for the district in November 2009, offering recommendations on improved efficiencies and an estimated cost savings of $399,500, which represents about 1.3 percent of the entire district budget.

According to the audit, "Overall, LMLSD is a high functioning District operating with solid management practices. Administrators have exhibited prudent fiscal and operational decision-making in managing its projected General Fund deficit. Prior to, and during, this performance audit, the Board of Education and District administrators were proactive in making difficult decisions to deeply reduce overall expenditures and lessen future operating deficits."

"We are interested in decreasing costs, especially those outside the classroom, but reducing expenses by nearly $400,000 won't eliminate a multi-million dollar deficit," Treasurer Shaun Bevan explained.

The Ohio Department of Education initially placed the Little Miami Local School District in "Fiscal Caution" on November 14, 2009 following the results of a five-year financial forecast.

Since the declaration placing the district in "Fiscal Watch," Little Miami officials must submit a financial recovery plan outlining steps they will take to eliminate the deficit. An acceptable plan for the Auditor of State must show a balanced budget and cannot include revenue from anticipated levies.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 8:20am
Kinda sounds like Vet wants to return to one room school houses. Or maybe he has taken a trip in the Hot Tub Time machine and never returned. Vet times have changed but apparently you haven't. You can't keep living the past. Things will never be that way again. You keep talking about $11000 being spent per pupil. That figure takes into consideration the students with disabilities. Mr Presta's chart shows 17% in our district compared to a state average of 13%. The state gives the district grants to cover the cost to educate those children. Unfortunately the grants do bot come off the cost per pupil. So the actual cost is lower than $11000. Sorry I do not have the exact figure, I suppose that downtown could give it to you. MCSD has a larger number of students with disabilities because our program is recognized as one of the best!

Everyone on this blog has issues with the city, myself included. This levy is needed to preserve our schools, keep exiting programs. As I have said before we have a new super coming in, lets give him a chance to show what he can do. Lets pass the levy, he may have new insights that can save the district money in the long run. Our district will most certainly will be destined to fail if they lose 26% of their budget. Vote Yes!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 8:24am
Vet, I agree with your comment about the need for the Communications Director/ PR expert. The actions of the city of Middltown make Obama's deem and pass campaign look tame. I read the news about the Stae of the Union. Mr. Mulligan says we need to think efficiencies. How and when did this city get lost to cit hall? I75% of the budget is police and firemen overhead, yet they boast about these phantom cuts they make. AJ Smith makes a comment, better to not go back in history and assess the past problems, got to move forwad, and jut txa people who can't get out of the city to do death.

Now we have a new levy coming down when Middletown is sinking, associated with street? Can anyone believe this! The city neglects the streets and infrtastructure, has the former city council member down saying how positive Mr. Mulligan was, who was instrumental in giving $5 mm in infrastructure funds away and the ordinance still has not been changed, so they spend dedicated funds, and gas and license tax from the state anyway they please, and that's the basis of a new levy?

Property values have plummeted, the streets have been neglected so the city could feed the beast called city hall employees using diverted funds for 20 years, and that justifies a tax levy? And because of Section 8, and poverty, and that is the consistent message I'm reading here why the school performance is not improving, and no one is attacking city hall.

I just have to ask, with all this tea party talk on this site, the disgust about taxation, waste, and progressive rule, what makes the citizen in Middletown just sit down, and be run over by these constant levies? We are in one of the worst periods since the Depression, Greece and Spain are about to topple the global market on defaults, and Middletown has created all these enormous problems which have ruined the schools, ruined the city, destroyed our property value, and BOTH the MCSD and now city, want levies passed on a shrinking population? What is wrong with this community, to take this and on one hand, talk about a national tea party and the other, sit back, listen to these timeless excuses and lack of ownership from the people whom caused the problems, and expect the shrinking population to give more in taxation?

Its appalling, numbing, and can someone pinch me and wake me up from this nightmare called Middletown. And change agent AJ Smith, was the first to say, its a good thing to not dwell on the past mistakes. Well, from what I've read, the school district blames part of its problems on the poor. That's attributed to Section 8, and the asleep at the wheel city council. But, instead of focusing upon that, its much easier to have council parde the good students out, have Mr. Mulligan give a few awards, and show Middletown, city council- the creator of the problems the school district says is its problems, smile and know the city supports the levy, just like the school supports the city levies.

This city is going to be one of the highest taxed in Ohio, with few if any amentities, ridled with an inability to attract new residents, while those who can't get out, get stuck with these constant levies just putting the spiral of failure and financial ruin on the back of the tax payer. I've had enough..           
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 9:16am

PERCENTAGE OF FAMILIES AND PEOPLE WHOSE INCOME IN THE PAST 12 MONTHS IS BELOW THE POVERTY LEVEL

All families

13.5%

+/-2.9

(X)

(X)

With related children under 18 years

23.5%

+/-5.6

(X)

(X)

With related children under 5 years only

21.0%

+/-11.6

(X)

(X)

Married couple families

7.0%

+/-3.0

(X)

(X)

15.0%

+/-6.8

(X)

(X)

22.2%

+/-17.7

(X)

(X)

Families with female householder, no husband present

32.7%

+/-8.4

(X)

(X)

41.3%

+/-11.6

(X)

(X)

38.7%

+/-28.3

(X)

(X)

All people

19.0%

+/-3.0

(X)

(X)

Under 18 years

28.6%

+/-7.1

(X)

(X)

Related children under 18 years

28.2%

+/-7.1

(X)

(X)

Related children under 5 years

32.5%

+/-10.6

(X)

(X)

Related children 5 to 17 years

26.5%

+/-8.2

(X)

(X)

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 9:29am
Economically disadvantaged and living below the poverty level are two different matters.  You can be labeled as an economically disadvantaged child and eligible for free or reduced lunch if your family income is 185% of the local poverty level.

Now when you talk about Section 8 housing:  a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the areas median income.  For the Middletown area the median income is $69200.00 so for a family of 3 on Section 8, 30% of that would be $18700.00.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 10:29am
Marianne- Little Miami....functioning at a high level operating with solid management practices (different from Middletown schools) and hurting for money. So, sounds like this district is doing a fine job of educating, producing positive results, with an excellent rating, while being starved at the money well with no levy approvals. They have managed to perform, despite the lack of money. Another example where a good education does not necessarily require alot of money. Unlike Middletown, this is a school system that the people should support as they are producing and have earned the the right of levy passages. Sad to read that the people don't support this. Different scenario than ours, IMO.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 10:53am
The same occurred in Franklin, the best thing that ever happened to them. Brought in a first rate former Assistant that turned the district around performance wise, and restored trust. If you review Mr. Mulligan's presentation, this is the constant solution to all the problems Middletown's leadership cause---raise taxes! Its astounding he talks about 20 years of money being diverted, and what would that anount of money be over $20 years---$100 Mm, and has the audicity to state the the residents need to be able to vote as a right, to riase taxed when values are almost worthless, probably 50% of what they were (just look at the assessed tax rates on Currier as an example), and he proposed a levy for the streets. He doesn't address the diversion, when the ordinance will be restored, but makes a campaign speech that the new 25% increase I suspect will be requested, will now be for infrastructure? Is this the strategy, just dismiss ever reversing the previous ordinance, so that money can be spent to feed city hall, and a new 25% or > is used for dedicated streets and sewers. All this done with the knowledge and intention to let the roads crumble.

I ask again...how on earth did Middletown succumb to this level of apathy and acceptance? Smartman, I realize you have a disadvantaged child in some capacity which I appreciate your point of view (even though throwing nails isn't an effective way to gain support). I just had to comment on your post- you said we should keep funding to give the new superintendant a chance with the new funding so he has a cahnce which he may, emphasis added on may, be able to turn things around.

That's the other strategy in play here with the MCSD---fire Dr. Price, pay him well, give him great recommendations, and use him as the fall guy, so the new superintendant could be given a cahnce-that's why Dr. Price was fired, to put up this veil we need to start fresh, give us a chance. There is no other city in Ohio that would tolerate this mindless continuation of taxation, just as Mr. Mulligan has laid out and the school district, but in Middletown, both will probably pass.

Anyone predicting when Middletown ever comes back?      
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 10:54am
Smartman- No. I don't want to "return to one room schoolhouses" and I am reminded everyday that the world has changed. While I can't "live in the past", I can also see that taking certain time-proven methods of the past and applying them to today's world may improve things compared to the cluster we now call "current times". Look, regardless of the make-up of the $11,000 per student, the fact is that Middletown is one of the highest taxed school districts spending some of the highest costs per pupil in the state with some of the lowest performance results in the state. Not something to be proud of is it? I am pleased that MCSD is "one of the best" with the disabilities program. That's fine. Would like to be able to say that for the general population of the school as well, but at the rate of improvement in the last 20 years, won't happen in my lifetime.

"this levy is needed to preserve our schools and keep existing programs"......WHAT?????.....that was my question from the other post......WHY, do you want to keep the existing programs????? THEY DON'T WORK OR THEY WOULD BE PRODUCING POSITIVE RESULTS SMARTMAN!!!!! If what you are trying isn't getting the job done.....for god sakes......CHANGE WHAT YOU ARE DOING until you find the successful way of doing those things. Where did the logic go???????? Furthermore, why would you want to preserve the schools given the current state of affairs? Surely, you are not content with the way they are operating, are you???? The schools need a total revamp in operational guidance, planning and implementation. Very little has worked or we would have all been feeling warm and fuzzy about now.

I'll ask again for the third time....when is enough... enough? When do we pull the plug on what we are currently doing and start with a new game plan? How bad do the results have to get and how long do we have to see those bad results before we finally say....we need to change what we're doing here? Again, for the third time....anybody???
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 1:36pm
Viet Vet posted: "so why would you continue to use the same failed educational procedures, year after year, if you knew the outcome was destined to fail?"

Vet, do you have a short-term memory problem?  You repeat this same allegation over and over, without any basis (you do not work for the schools, have children currently in the schools, or volunteer in the schools, to my knowledge), despite my several posts that MANY "educational procedures" have been changed at the schools.  We have changed the top leadership.  You may disagree with all of my opinions, as is your right, but I would think that you would have to agree, that as I have been on this school board for 4 years and have kids in the schools for the last 10, I know a little bit more than you do about whether the schools have made any changes in recent years. So when we ask the public to renew the levy to continue the same funding, it so we can continue these efforts at reform and improvement, not your non-existent scenario of "same old thing for 20 years. "

There is no magic bullet that will produce brilliant results overnight.  We are dealing with people here -- students, teachers, parents -- who are all resistant to change.  The district has implemented changes that go to the fundamental culture of the schools and the way we teach and hold people accountable.  It takes time for them to be fully implemented and for people to buy in.  Changing programs every year if they don't produce results the first year would be a terrible management strategy.

State takeover of the schools is also no magic bullet. What happens is that a special committee is appointed to oversee the school board. It has all the powers of the school board.  The district still has to provide an adequate education to each child. If the taxpayers of the district will not agree to fund the schools sufficiently, the oversight committee will force the schools to borrow money, which must be paid back so eventually the taxpayers will have to fund the schools.  The oversight committee has no more power over the unionized workforce than the school board does.  They can RIF teachers and other staff to reduce the budget, but they must do so by seniority rules, and they cannot replace them with new teachers --any new hires would have to be first from the RIF list.  They also are limited in that they must keep enough teachers and other staff to meet the minimum state requirements, which are detailed and numerous. (As an example, remember the law that was just passed requiring schools to teach about dating violence and prevention in health class). All of this state regulation, which is constantly changing and growing, requires administrators to be aware of it and comply.

Marcia Andrew
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 2:45pm
Ok. Ms. Andrew.... let's assume you have made changes as you claim. Changes can be made in many subtle ways so as not to produce much of an impact. What have your changes produced toward significantly improving the performance of the district? Haven't seen it in the indicators numbers as yet. Haven't seen it in the proficiency test score numbers as yet. Are your kids coming out of high school ready for the working world yet or to continue on to college? Why do colleges (MUM and others) have to set up remedial classes to prepare high school graduates for the freshman year of college if that is so? Please tell us something about the school system that will convince us to embrace your enthusiasm for the changes that you claim to have made and tell us the overall impact that those changes had toward making the district more promising.

No. I don't have kids in the school system. No, I don't volunteer at the schools as I work out of town and return to Middletown long after the school day is done. And no, I certainly don't work for the schools. BUT, Ms. Andrew, I can read a chart that outlines results on specific performance criteria for this district. Heck, I'm even smart enough to discipher what the charts say on a good day. Don't try the condescending approach. It won't work.

No, I don't have short term memory. Just don't look at things through rose-colored glasses. Are you wishing to do verbal battle here?

"no magic bullets that will produce brilliant results overnight" What? You and other school board members have had more than 20 years (yes, I'll use the 20 year thing again, much to your chagrin) to work on the problems and, to date, the schools have gone down the perverbial toilet since the 60's. How much longer will it take, Ms. Andrews. Our patience and money are running out. What do you need....another ten years or so?

Bingo....THE statement...."we are dealing with people here-students, teachers, parents- who are all RESISTANT TO CHANGE. Read my previous posts on CHANGING THE SYSTEM IF THE CURRENT ONE IS FAILING. The students are not a problem for change. New rules are set up all the time for them. The parents.... I would bet that change would be welcome by alot of parents as they want to see some actual positive movement in the education process also. The teachers- what is the problem...the ability to change is contingent on employment in today's working world. Can't change, we'll find someone who will. That's the employers attitude nowadays.

Changing programs EVERY YEAR....What? Who suggested that a new program be given just a year to work or not???? I agree, it takes a year for everyone to adapt to new expectations and learn the new rules before ever deciding whether it will work or not. Kinda jumping the gun here, aren't you?

Don't tell the former union AK workers that they can't be replaced. AK did it and it can be done in any union situation. The teacher's union isn't invincible. Ok, you have explained what is needed to deal with the union seniority, hirebacks, RIF list,etc. Let's make it happen, bite the bullet, work through it and come out of it in better shape with regard to dealing with the teacher's union if, indeed, they are in the way of making this a better district. Whatever it takes....changing operational modes, removing the teacher's union influence, reducing unnecessary positions within the district, firing the superintendent....whatever.... do it instead of waiting for years producing the same results. More drastic changes, not subtle ones will get us to where we want to be quicker, won't it? At the current pace, real change will not occur for another 20 years.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 4:27pm
Ms. Andrews, if I may interject as you made reference to "management strategy" and leadership, you'd agree your former academic colleagues at Darden in Charlottesvile would learn in case study review, no business or entity makes a strategic mission/ vision statement which can't be fulfilled. Its been what...6 years or more, that the illustrious goal of being rated EXCELLENT was put on the MCSD website, printed, and disseminated throughout the community. So the school set these unrealistic expectations to begin, and yet you reference sound management strategy. I see a fatal flaw in that assumption.

Secondly, change takes time? It certainly does not. Its re-engineered, driven through leadership, and adopted. What's the paradigm which teachers and administrators can't relinguish---union seniority? The changes I recall were associated with racial culture clarities, discipline- or the lack thereof, and the elimination of homework. Granted, there may be other programs which have been added or eliminated, but to state it takes 7 years for the paradigm and cultural impediment to be altered is not only non sensical, respectfully stated, but unreasonable to expect such a period of time would be the norm for it to be accepted.

It would appear the state does an excellent job of coming in, thinning out a school district, and turning it around. Its quite obvious the rate of progress you and the Board feel reasonable are simply out of step with what I would call any reasonable and responsible individual provided such illustrious and lofty goals as MCSD set years ago. The state has the expertise to make that happen, and usually produce exceptional outcomes.

The reality is the district and city are caught in a trap; the proverbial "chicken or the egg", which comes first. The city has fallen asleep at the wheel on development and allowed an additionally high % of the "cast-aways" as some may call them, to migrate to Middletown. That has impacted school performance as some argue. But, would a solid school system with the stated mission/ vision statement, alter performance and raise standards to the school pulling residents like a magnet to Middletown. I realize that is quite a challenge, even if the school was rated EXCELLENT. So, which will perform against its stated standards forst- the district or the city of Middletown, although i don't believe they have standards or measures, and that Strat Plan they boast, well, its a little too "glittering generalities", no substance. Give credit for the MCSD at least having some meat in the plan, granted, an unrealistic and unobtainable goal state as its target which will not be met, without change and pruning.

The district set the bar too high, and is stuck. $$$$ just won't solve this problem. Its like a misbehaving child- it calls for tough love. But that's my opinion. I realize the unions will do a quid pro quo, pull in the MUM support, get organized, which the adversaries never will do, and its back to status quo. In other wods, the demographics which are your nemesis will stay at home, not vote, while others gather mass, and it will be another 55-45 win in May. Gosh, the city can't relinguish the golf course for its employees and retires, you don't seriously think the majority will give up Middie sports? And that's how it will play.     

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 5:59pm
acclaro the Mission statement of MCSD was changed several years ago.  Probably because they came to realization that the old one was unattainable, my opinion, maybe someone in the know can state otherwise.

The new mission statement is:

"The mission of the Middletown City Schools is to provide our culturally diverse students with highly-challenging and engaging school work, which assists them in gaining valued knowledge and skills. We will continue to operate the district in a fiscally responsible manner with a priority of student achievement."

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 6:51pm
Thanks Pacman. The VISION statement has not changed, I pulled it from the website a minute ago. It still reads:

Recognizing the need to prepare students to become productive members of a democratic society, we envision that the Middletown City School District will:

• Raise achievement levels of all students
• Eliminate achievement gaps
• Earn a rating of "Excellent" on the school district's state report card

You are correct though, a good management team would alter this lofty but unachieveable goal. There are five assistant principals just at MHS, and yet, they are cut to the bone? Public education is so laden with wasted overhead. 
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2010 at 11:33pm
Okay, I'm going to sign off this thread because Viet Vet and Acclaro so clearly have all the answers.

We are going to re-write our vision statement because we set our goals too high.  We are going to set a really low goal and then trumpet that we've met it. That will really fool people.  Then they will pass levies because we will have earned it.  Only kids who are already doing well in school should have the right to a good public education.

We are going to "re-engineer" and "drive down" change through leadership (wait, didn't we just hire a new leader??  Never mind, I'm sure it is still fair to criticize us for not doing something we just did) and the students who don't want to learn and the parents who don't care that their students don't want to learn will all jump on board, even though it will require them to work harder  (the ones who are open to change are not the problem, Vet).  If any of the changes would require additional manpower, we will just tap into the vast network of Middletown citizens eager to volunteer in our schools.  As for the teachers and other staff, if they don't like it we'll just fire them, and if we can't do that because of the union contract, we'll just lock the teachers out for over a year, following AK's model, because that really "broke" the union at AK.  The kids won't learn anything for the time of the lockout/strike, but due to our lowered expectations we will still exceed our achievement goals.

Gosh, it's hard to understand how our city and school district got into the difficult situations they are in with you guys willing to help with your advice.

(For the avoidance of any doubt, in response to the inevitable person who will take the above literally, this is SARCASM).

Good Night
Marcia Andrew
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 4:21am
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

... Mr Presta's chart shows ...
Please, let me point out AGAIN that this is NOT "my chart!!!"
I copied and pasted it accurately (except for the formatting) from the Ohio Department of Education's website!!! Stern%20Smile
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

(For the avoidance of any doubt, in response to the inevitable person who will take the above literally, this is SARCASM).

Good Night
Marcia Andrew
Angry SARCASM???  How DARE you use SARCASM!!!

Wink Just kidding!!  I am just kidding!!! LOL LOL
Ms. A:  I really do understand your frustration.  I think that all sides feel it often, as this problem has no simple solution. 

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 5:16am
acclaro I see nothing wrong with the Vision or Mission Statment as they are stated.

Vision Statement
A statement giving a broad, aspirational image of the future that an organization is aiming to achieve.

Mission statement
A formal short written statement of the purpose of a company or organization. The mission statement should guide the actions of the organization, spell out its overall goal, provide a sense of direction, and guide decision-making. It provides "the framework or context within which the company's strategies are formulated.

Both the Mission and Vision statements above  follow the above definitions of each.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:27am
Ms. Andrews, I appreciate the debate and your comments. For what it may worth, I'd be pleased to be a mentor to anyone (student) at Middletown High or the middle school. I admit my kids went to private schools K-12. I admit I have about 5-6 direct generations of school teachers, administrators, and college profs and a President whom are family members. I also admit one of my father's best friends was former superintendant Deacon Diehl (spelling with apologies), so I I can emphatically state no one in this town realizes the value and benefit of getting a solid education than I. One of my ya's went through W&M 'B" school, so we know how competitive schools are today to get in, with ACT's near or exceeding 30's. 

Perhaps the easiest strategy is to formulate a campaign that begins something as simple as this. There are more communities than Middletown that value the obtainment of an education. In those communities like Oakwood, where the students feel there is not only hope, but a mandate from their parents, to do well, reach for the next level. These parents had Mollie's and Joihnny's tuition paid for at Dartmouth by the time their kids were age 10. While in Middletown, the majority one assumes, helps keep the car running when it breaks down once a week, or can't find a job at a local Kroger's---and all the $$$ goes to paying gas just to get around town.    

In Middletown, because of changing demographics and other factors, that hope and motivation is not there for all of our students. We have to find ways which our students recognize there is a better quality of life and future, armed with a good education. That's a tougher task in Middletown than other communities where the family circumstace prevents that recognition. As for motivation, I can tell you, and lets assume MHS has a quality guidance counselor, an A student coming from poverty or middle-class, with a 28-30 ACT will get a full ride to a number of great schools, including your former at Williams, rated in top 5 liberal arts, Middleberry, Washington U, Vandy, Gettysburg, Swathmore, Wabash, and countless others. The reward is there, and you don't have to have rich parents to get there.

The key is motivation, not intellectual deficiencies necessarily. How do you motivate? Well, there is a whole surrounding infrastructure of mentors and others put in place. Not all parents aspire kids to achieve. Not all teachers do, nor administrators. Many privates are very rigorous and don't cuddle the student, they either perform or they don't, its an A or a D.  

As for V/M statements wasteful, both are indeed aspiration statements, but always tuned usually within 5 years, as Fortune 500's strategically plan no more forward than 5 years. They are constantly refreshed. If you haven't changd that goal, then its altered, mayve a new niche focus. But, no company, no school, no hospital, no governmnet entity, sticks to a V/M that is unobtainable after about 5 years of effort. That's like putting on a cv my goal is to be CEO of a company, for a 25 year middle manager.           
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 9:43am
Your choice Ms. Andrew. Goodbye then. Never claimed I had all the answers, just a different perspective, tired of the years of excuses, tired of waiting for good things to happen, reluctant to give more money to the schools and different standards of expectations as a taxpayer, that's all. Perhaps I asked too many questions that had no answers. Perhaps, by not agreeing with you, and by throwing up some resistance to your levy renewal, I frustrated you to the point where you did not wish to debate the topics anymore. I am sorry if I discouraged you. I allowed you to make your points and I countered. I thought you would welcome debate and be good at it as a lawyer. I encourage you to stay as I value your opinions and it allows me to read another's viewpoint. Disagreement with this complex issue is expected I would presume. I believe you contribute many good things to this forum providing information that we may not be aware of.

Thank you for providing an example of the definition of sarcasm. I had no idea what that was. Oops, that's sarcasm too, isn't it?

Thank you for your contributions.

Goodbye and best of luck on your renewal levy passage.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2010 at 10:29am
Vet, I believe I understand Ms. Andrews to mean she was being sarcastic in her response, but perhaps she is signing off from the debate which would be surprising. I give you an A for effort Ms. Andrews &  encourage you to stay active and debate the issues here and elsewhere. You'll find far more constructive and objective debate in this circle than in the community who will simply nod, and say everything is fine...the light will be shining bright when the train arrives and the computer engineers move in and start riding the Gary Fisher 30 speeds around the new bike trail.

I personally think the only hope Middletown has as a community of the funding of a program such as the Middletown/ Miami Promise. The problem is the schools are wrapped up in the dismal entitlement, "me go, not we go" mentality of the city leadership. When the city is Rome Burning, there goes the school district. As Vet said, I recall attending Manchester for two years, and the quality of instruction and caliber of student demographic was fantastic. Those were the days when the school district was terrific, and the middle-class strong and upper-class. The days are gone, so the intersection merges failure of a city with a school district. So, how to fund it? Well, there has to be some out of the box thinkers aound the town who know how to get some funds with all the other $Bb Obama is throwing around. Make Middketown a federal beta site, and pull in population and students. That's a start. It has a better chance at getting funded than Middletown getting a bullet train and being a 100 MB google backbone for high speed internet, when I doubt with >50% of the population in poverty, there are many desktops and laptops sitting around the homes.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic