FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eleven area bars cited for gambling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 11:14am
Nice guy--nice local business--good food
illegal to have a lot of cash?
Is this amount actual?
very popular local spot
What would Mayfield do without this place?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2010 at 5:28am
Spider:
Nice guy--nice local business--good food
Nice guy???  Matter of opinion.  Nice local business???  Fills a need, seems to do well.  Good food???  I do agree here!!!  Also the only place left in town where one can get frog legs!!!  (Although I haven't seen the menu for quite a while.)
illegal to have a lot of cash?
Depends!!  Generally speaking, no, not illegal.  But it is illegal if it is part of a gambling operation, drug operation, or proceeds of undeclared income.  (This is just IMHO.  I am not an attorney, nor am I accusing anyone of any of these things, or other illegal activities.)

Is this amount actual?
$1.2 million is what was reported in The Journal. Take it for what it's worth.

very popular local spot
Yes, it is. I have been told that it used to be difficult to get a seat in there on Thrsday, Friday, or Saturday.  Not so much anymore.  Two of the long-time, regular, popular bartenders are gone.
What would Mayfield do without this place?
Clientele would probably patronize the Mayfield Inn (same owner) a block away, or the Lefferson Inn. (Neither of these have food, though.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2010 at 11:24am
Gee, Mike, you are also so negative Are you suffering long term constipation or something?.

He has been has been there since the mid 80s for sure.  What is that? 25 yrs?

Nice guy? I bet I know him much better than you and I think that for the most part that is true.

I realize that the Cash is suspect and that is why I said I hoped it was just skim Money and not part some big Criminal activity.

I did say that he loved his Money a little too much, but that could be said of a lot of People on here!

Chill a little bit.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2010 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Gee, Mike, you are also so negative Are you suffering long term constipation or something?.

Nice guy? I bet I know him much better than you and I think that for the most part that is true.

I realize that the Cash is suspect and that is why I said I hoped it was just skim Money and not part some big Criminal activity.

I did say that he loved his Money a little too much, but that could be said of a lot of People on here!

Chill a little bit.
Huh?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2010 at 1:57pm
The owner is a good customer of mine, and I also patronize his business.
I don't know him well--but know him well enough.
Considering his clientele, type of business and his area, I think that he runs a good operation.
I hope that he survives this situation as well as possible.

Gambling-booze-sex
People want these things.
The self-righteous big brother will never win this fight, and should spend more of their time policing their own imo.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2010 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Chill a little bit.
Huh?

Mike as in Mike Presta
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 5:35am
Gee, Mr. Irisner:
You wrote:

First, as far as any poop problems, if you are my doctor, that was a breach of doctor/patient confidentiality. If you are not, that is none of your business. As far as me being “negative”, go pound sand!!! I noticed that you skipped over much of my post because it was either positive or neutral!!!

Exactly what is “negative” about: “Nice guy??? Matter of opinion." ??? Isn’t that simply a FACT??? And I didn't even offer an opinion!!!

Exactly what is “negative” about: “Good food??? I do agree here!!! Also the only place left in town where one can get frog legs!!!”??? You can’t even recognize a compliment when you read one!!!

"illegal to have a lot of cash?

Depends!! Generally speaking, no, not illegal. But it is illegal if it is part of a gambling operation, drug operation, or proceeds of undeclared income. (This is just IMHO. I am not an attorney, nor am I accusing anyone of any of these things, or other illegal activities.)"

Sheesh!!! Spider posed a hypothetical question, and I answered it. Law enforcement agents confiscate cash in any number of potentially illegal situations. It is a FACT that, under certain circumstances it certainly IS ILLEGAL to have illegally acquired cash or unreported income on hand. I even went out of my way to say that this was just an opinion and that I was NOT referring to any particular situation. Now, if you can cite a controlling law or code that proves me wrong, I’ll acknowledge the error of my OPINION. If you want to disagree, you are entitled to your opinion, regardless of how stupid it may be.

He has been has been there since the mid 80s for sure. What is that? 25 yrs?

I guess this goes back to some of my earlier posts. What’s the problem here??? I said that he didn’t own it in the late sixties, and that he did when we moved back in 1998. I also said “at least 10 years!” So “mid 80s” and “25 yrs”…yep, that would fit “at least 10 years," and it would make the start of his ownership fall somewhere between the “'late sixties' and '1998'”!!! So what EXACTLY are you trying to argue??? What the heck point are you trying to make??? That YOUR GUESS is closer than my factual range??? I won’t argue that. If I wanted to, I’d research it and find the exact year, but WHY??? Who cares??? Argue with someone else about that!!! When you said earlier that it had been 30 years, and I responded “30 years??? Has it been that long???” I was NOT disputing you. I was simply surprised that time had gone by so fast. I hadn’t been in the place from 1970 until 1998.

If you know him socially, you know him better than me.  (NOTE:  Don’t try to argue with me on this, I am agreeing with you!!!)

I’ve met him only once (that I am aware of) but I have been in many conversations with people who have known him for years--people who interact with him on a nearly day-to-day basis. My one meeting with him was a short business transaction. Before that day, I used to patronize his establishment about 3 to 5 times per week, and spent a lot of money, caused no trouble, always acted like a gentleman, and tippped well. After that, it became more like once a month. Once the two most popular bartenders (one of whom was the evening cook) left, I seldom have gone into the place at all. Socially, he may be a “nice guy” but his “customer relations” skills leave much to be desired.

YOU are the one being “NEGATIVE” here!!! Spider and I had a short, neutral, theoretical exchange on the subject of the legality of large amounts of cash on hand. YOU are “hoping” it “was JUST SKIM MONEY” and not something WORSE, and imply it is specifically about Mr. Wieser and you seem to be stipulating income tax fraud!!!

I did say that he loved his Money a little too much, but that could be said of a lot of People on here!

I’d say that he loves money a LOT too much, but that is only my personal opinion, and I am entitled to it. And yes, there are a lot of people who love money, both a little and a lot too much. There are also many who love money but do not put it above all else. I suggest we let that subject drop.

Chill a little bit.

No, sir, if this man is your friend, I suggest that YOU “chill a little bit”, let it drop and challenge me no further on the matter. You are doing him no favors by attacking me with YOUR NEGATIVITY!!! I have tried to remain as neutral as possible on a matter that is a legitimate subject for public discussion. You may know Mr. Wieser better than I, but I doubt that you are as well-informed as I about most of the matters at hand.

Just for the record, for the rest of you, I am NOT anti-gambling, nor anti-drinking, nor any of that. People that actually know me, know that for an actual fact!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 9:09am
Chill......and Poop!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 6:52pm
Stop being so NEGATIVE and ANTAGONISTIC!!!
I'm going to go out and GAMBLE, then DRINK--but NOT at your pal's place--too bad for him!!!
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2010 at 8:23pm
If you buy, I will join you.

wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 12:42am
Hey, if you two want to get out for a drink I have a bar just waiting for you. I'll even buy your second drink, lol. Look around while you're there and you might want to buy it. Heads up . . . we have flowers all around outside but you'll probably never make even close to 1.2 million. Big%20smile
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2010 at 6:54am
Wannaknow,
Maybe another night!  Gee, Flowers outside??  I thought that, according to our city leaders, that is all it takes to get business BOOMING!!!  Do you think I will be able to find a seat??

I have plans Wednesday evening, and I may run into some of the regular posters from here.  If so, I'll offer to visit your establishment and throw forty bucks on the bar and we'll drink until it's gone!!!
oneangrydwarf View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneangrydwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Randy,
I have been told by usually very reliable sources that it wasn't "just laying around"!
Also, these same reliable sources tell me it is not as some of you think.  They say that these machines are not "just for a few quarters" but are for 50 cents (minimum) to as much as $4 per spin.  (And some newer machines may be even higher.)  The "jackpots" can be as high as $4,000.00!!!

That is what I have been told...I couldn't swear to it in court.

Ahso  i believe you have hit a few of those $4,000.00!!! jackpots yourself.  At least one that i am aware of.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic