FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eleven area bars cited for gambling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eleven area bars cited for gambling
    Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 12:17am
Sorry didnt know where else to post this one. LOL

Eleven area bars cited for gambling

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer 10:20 PM Wednesday, January 27, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — At least 11 Middletown bars were cited Wednesday, Jan. 27, as part of a crackdown on illegal gambling machines.

The state received a complaint several bars in the area were housing illegal gambling machines, said spokeswoman Julie Hinds. It is a violation of their liquor permits to have gambling machines that pay money to customers on the premises, according to Hinds.

Police from Middletown, Monroe and the Butler County Sheriff’s Office entered 11 bars at 11 a.m. Wednesday, seizing gambling machines, bank records and undisclosed amounts of money. An additional sweep of Middletown bars took place later in the afternoon, but Hinds would not say how many were involved.

The majority of charges filed were administrative violations and will go before the Ohio Liquor Control Commission, while any pending criminal charges will be filed in the Middletown Municipal Court, she said.

“In a few places officers also observed some alcohol violations, so they were able to write them up for those as well,” Hinds said.

Jimmy Valentine, owner of the Lakeside Inn on Tytus Avenue, said he does not know why police hauled off his two electronic gambling machines.

“I wasn’t making any money personally off of those machines,” Valentine said. “As bad as business is in Middletown you think they’d just let people go and do what they can do to make a buck.”

Also involved in the first wave of citations Wednesday, according to Hinds, were: Bill’s Open Door Cafe, 2715 Burbank Ave.; Lefferson Inn, 2908 Lefferson Road; Bucks Sports Bar and Grille, 1300 Central Ave.; Buster’s, 1819 Casper Ave.; Ye Olde Dutch Tavern, 2716 N. Verity Parkway; Third Base Cafe, 911 Crawford St.; Jenny B’s Hillbilly Heaven, 2502 Atco Ave.; Mutts Main Bar, 2703 South Main St.; Madison Inn, 101 Front St.; and The Blue Goose, 3008 Tytus Ave.

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2871 or rgauthier@coxohio.com.

Gotta love the guy from the lakeside Inns remarks "Umm because its illegal" Geez LOL

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 6:37am
Henious crimes! Shut 'em down! Confiscate the machines! Close those businesses (the few that are left) and get rid of all the vice in our little utopia!

I don't get it. We allow the Girls Gone Wild Tour Bus to come to town (no doubt an image enhancer) We allow all the poverty (54%) we can handle and then some. We ramp up the Section 8 and HUD programs to the point of over-saturation. The police ignore the druggies in Mayfield around the Burbank St area and the always well drug-trafficked Minnesota/Douglas Park area. We turn our back on the few businesses that inquire about starting in this town. Then, for good measure, we raid existing businesses and confiscate a revenue generator (albeit not much) for them, while the city leaders create a city environment that is low class enough that gambling fits right in and should be welcomed. Why are all of these "low-class" activities allowed to exist, yet gambling is a no-no? Take the friggin' cops, put 'em down in Mayfield, downtown and over by Douglas- clean up the druggies- THEN start worrying about this other less serious stuff. Leave the business people alone, for cryin' out loud!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 7:46am
Ok, couple of points here, the first being the fact that the Journal stops any reader comments from stories that people would like to comment on. I love that paper, they do such a bang up job reporting.

As far as Gambling at these bars, SO WHAT!! If people want to sit in a bar and spend quarters on some machine that will never pay you more than a couple of bucks, who is that hurting. I would love to know who complained to the state, someone that lost a few bucks in one of those machines. I agree vet there are bigger issues the cops should be worrying about.

How about any one of these:

All from the beloved Journal

Jan. 24

A 29-year-old man was Tased by police after allegedly fleeing from an officer attempting to arrest him on an active warrant. Police made contact with Frank McClain in the 4300 block of Roosevelt Boulevard, but said he tried to run away from them following a brief distraction. McClain reportedly took off running from officers, but not before throwing his coat down at the front door of a nearby Speedway gas station. Following a short foot pursuit, officers deployed a Taser and were able to subdue McClain. A search of his pants and jacket, officers located 3.71 grams of marijuana and 7.55 grams of what they believe to be crack cocaine. McClain was arrested for obstructing official business, two counts of drug abuse and an active bench warrant.

A North Carolina man told police he was robbed by an unknown subject near Old Smith Park. The 37-year-old said he was walking northbound on Main Street when a man approximately 5’10” tall came up behind him and hit him in the back of the head. The assailant then allegedly assaulted him and demanded he give him all of his money, consisting of $100 in cash. The man said he went back to his daughter’s house, where he cleaned his wounds. Officers noted some injuries to the man’s face, but said he did not require any medical treatment.

Middletown police are looking into an alleged domestic violence case in which two passengers reportedly leapt from a moving vehicle to escape an abusive man. The female car owner said a 29-year-old Hamilton man had been driving her vehicle when he grabbed her by the hair, held her down in her seat and began driving at a high rate of speed. A woman riding in the back of the car told police she jumped from the window of the vehicle when he slowed down enough. The owner remained in the vehicle until it reached the intersection of 14th and Minnesota avenues, police report. She then reportedly jumped out of the car and began screaming for help. The two women filed charges of domestic violence and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle against Jeff Knight, of the 500 block of Front Street. Police report they have yet to arrest Knight.

Instead of looking for this guy Jeff Knight, who is beating up woman as he drives down the road, lets go to some local bars and and remove these machines that bring business to those bars. Yeah makes since to me.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 8:08am
Come on, you guys!!!  Surely you realize that GAMBLING is ILLEGAL in this state!!! Confused LOL LOL
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 10:13am
My favorite parts about this article :

1. The state recieved a complaint = someone lose all their quarters & like an upset child called the state ?
2. The police barge in and confiscate an undisclosed amount of money ?!! Every since 9/11 "undisclosed" is a favorite term to be used by those in control.
3. An additional sweep later that afternoon ? What did they do go back to the same bars for more money ?
4. The police observed alcohol violations and wrote them up as well ? Did someone forget to tell the Gestapo that the warrants were for gambling machines only ?!!! Or did they even have warrants ?

Thank you Marianne for the spelling correction Thumbs%20Up

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 10:41am
gustapo... I like that. I learn something new everyday:

1.      gustapo     
A creepy librarian type who live in a library. At midnight their third eye opens up and they are the protector of the books. They are also known to form nests that of like a spider in abandon stairways.
Better get out of the library before gustapo sucks you in with her third eye.

Didn't know creepy librarians were involved!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gustapo
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 10:55am

These bars are struggling for survival. These machines are a draw to some patrons , and not a huge money-maker for anyone. Do you realize that a pinball machine(because it has the CAPABILITY of giving free games) is not permitted in the city?

Leave the businesses alone at this time, and concentrate on violent crime and repeat offenders. Have the courts put meaning back in a court date and sentencing(outside of suspending fines/jail time and only implementing court costs). Deal with REAL PROBLEMS IN THE COMMUNITY.

No sense in these types of crack-downs in today's economy. If this is all these state employees have to do, then maybe they need to feel the layoff sting also.

Time to throw the state employees into the same health care/social security retirement system as everyone else. Then maybe govt. will understand the plight of the independant working person.

OK Marianne--the word used should have been GEstapo.
Did your grammar correction make you feel superior?
Any comments on the raid situation?

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

My favorite parts about this article :

1. The state recieved a complaint = someone lose all their quarters & like an upset child called the state ?

2. The police barge in and confiscate an undisclosed amount of money ?!! Every since 9/11 "undisclosed" is a favorite term to be used by those in control.

3. An additional sweep later that afternoon ? What did they do go back to the same bars for more money ?

4. The police observed alcohol violations and wrote them up as well ? Did someone forget to tell the Gestapo that the warrants were for gambling machines only ?!!! Or did they even have warrants ?

Thank you Marianne for the spelling correction Thumbs%20Up

I actually prefer the original word you used. Creepy librarians enforcing the law is much more amusing.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

OK Marianne--the word used should have been GEstapo.

Did your grammar correction make you feel superior?

Any comments on the raid situation?

When you point out where I've corrected someone's grammar, I'll answer your question.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2010 at 9:17pm
Bars struggling to survive.....hmmmmmmmmm.

"More than $1.2 million netted in gambling sting

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer
8:57 PM Thursday, January 28, 2010

MIDDLETOWN— Approximately $1.2 million was reportedly seized from a popular Middletown bar during a search for illegal gambling machines on Wednesday, Jan. 27.

Julie Hinds, spokeswoman with the Ohio Investigative Unit, said law enforcement officials were “surprised” to find such a substantial amount of money inside of Bill’s Open Door Cafe, located at 2715 Burbank Ave.

“We honestly were not expecting to find that much money,” Hinds said."

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 12:09am
Wow whod have thunk it ? Thats a lot of cash to leave in your bar I think.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 1:28am
Note that the $1.2 million was all in ONE bar!  The other establishments averaged about $2K each.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 7:33am
stimulus $$$?
HUD?
CDBG?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 7:39am
I cant get over that amount of money being found at Bill's. My God bury it in the back yard or something. Dont just leave it laying around.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 8:12am
Randy,
I have been told by usually very reliable sources that it wasn't "just laying around"!
Also, these same reliable sources tell me it is not as some of you think.  They say that these machines are not "just for a few quarters" but are for 50 cents (minimum) to as much as $4 per spin.  (And some newer machines may be even higher.)  The "jackpots" can be as high as $4,000.00!!!

That is what I have been told...I couldn't swear to it in court.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 9:16am
People need to worry about themselves, and quit intruding in other peoples personal decisions.  Whether you want to gamble, smoke, or....... carve "X's" in your flesh with a butter knife, your an adult, you should have the right to do as you please as long as you don't infringe on others rights/freedom.

It's against the law to handle snakes and buy raw milk.  What the hell is going on???

MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 11:14am
They found 1.2 million,how much of that does Middeltown get ?

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 11:33am
Answer from Middletown: What 1.2 million, we didn't find 1.2 million $ any  where!! That must be a mis quote from that pesky Journal
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2010 at 12:05pm
Large amount of money found in a bar on Burbank St. in Mayfield. Mayfield residents acknowledge there is drug dealers and drug activity on an on-going basis at an intersection involving Burbank and a cross street and have requested numerous times that police patrol the area to inhibit this activity. Coincidence?????
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 4:14am
Vet,
I doubt that the proprietor was involved in drug trafficking.  My guess is that the $1.2 million was from years of unreported income:  Profits from the machines, check cashing fees, etc., all of the things that are tough for the IRS to track, and all cash transactions.  As usually happens when a big wad of cash is discovered, the IRS will soon be in town wanting to know where it came from and ready to confiscate it.  Mr. Bill better get ready for audits as far back as the IRS can reach.
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 4:44am
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, Nooooooooooo!!  LOLLOL

I take it the "MR. BILL" you're alluding to isn't the claymation Gumby figure of former Saturday Night Live television fame?? LOLLOL

Surely you must be refrerring to a Middletonian that we know?? LOLLOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 6:26am
LOL Yes, I was using the fictional "Mr. Bill" as in "Bill's Open Door Cafe", the bar and grill where the $1.2 million was confiscated.  It has been owned by someone named Mike Weeser (sp?) for well over a decade now.
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 9:19am
Thank you, Mike.

You remain the "unparalelled source of information" for us who post on MiddletownUSA.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

LOL Yes, I was using the fictional "Mr. Bill" as in "Bill's Open Door Cafe", the bar and grill where the $1.2 million was confiscated.  It has been owned by someone named Mike Weeser (sp?) for well over a decade now.

Mike Wieser.

I think he has owned it for right at 30 yrs now.  He is a decent guy who loves his Cash a little too much and Mr Presta is probably right, the money is "hopefully" skimed for purposes of Tax evasion over many Years. I say hopefully because I would be disappointed if he was into something very distasteful. I have heard Rumors but won't repeat them and will hope they are untrue.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2010 at 10:44am
30 years???  Has it been that long???  I used to stop there occasionally while Project 600 was under construction and start-up (about 1966 through '70), and he did not own it then.  He has owned it since I've been back in town (mid-1998).
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic