Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Monday, May 6, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - All Is Well: City Emergency Legislation Declining?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Is Well: City Emergency Legislation Declining?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Is Well: City Emergency Legislation Declining?
    Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 4:29am

Middletown Journal -- Emergency legislation has eased at city hall

In 2006, a staggering
 92 percent of legislation passed by emergency;
 in 2009, just 42 percent.

By Ryan Gauthier, Staff Writer 1:13 AM Sunday, February 14, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — “Emergency” has been somewhat of a dirty word within City Council chambers lately.

City administrators have taken a beating over the use of emergency legislation, including accusations of abusing the system from council members.

But in stepping outside of conjecture and looking purely at the numbers, the city has made a undeniable push to cut the ratio of emergency legislation nearly in half since 2006. Of the 78 ordinances that came before the council in 2006, a total of 72 were passed as an emergency. That is a staggering 92 percent.

Law Director Les Landen said emergency legislation is simply “the way the city did business” for a great deal of recent history.

“For years and years when I first got here, virtually everything we did was an emergency,” Landen said. “I’m talking probably close to 100 percent for a number of years.”

That figure drastically dipped in 2007 to 63 percent, when Landen said former City Manager Ron Olson decided he wanted council members to have more time to consider certain items. When current City Manager Judy Gilleland came aboard in 2008, she said her preference was for emergency legislation only “when it was an actual emergency.”

“Allowing legislation to go through the normal process of first reading, second reading and a 30-day effective date is important in that it allows citizens to petition for a referendum on ordinances,” Gilleland said. “When you pass something by emergency, you basically remove that referendum period.”

The numbers do not lie. Gilleland kept somewhat level with Olson’s 2007 figures during 2008 with 64 percent of all ordinances coming forward as an emergency. She tightened the reins in 2009, dropping that figure to less than 42 percent for the year.

As for 2010, it is still a bit premature to say where things are trending. Of the 16 ordinances to come before council so far this year, exactly half of them have been read as an emergency.

Councilman Josh Laubach said he considers each piece of legislation on a “case by case basis” and has no problem supporting emergency legislation given the right reasons. And while he feels the city has leaned too heavily on emergency legislation in the past, he said it’s still too early to say whether that tendency has improved.

“I’m not quite three meetings into this, so I don’t want to start making judgments too early,” he said.

Subjecting ordinances to multiple readings serves to slow the legislative process immensely, Landen said, resulting in frustration from staff members trying to move administrative items through the system.

“Just sit back and think if everything you did had to wait between 44 and 51 days to happen,” Landen said. “It would make functioning rather difficult.”

Gilleland said passing legislation under emergency is a “perfectly valid policy decision,” but said she prefers to examine each item as it comes before her rather than cast a blanket decision.

“It’s a matter of perspective,” Gilleland said. “I’m happy with the way that we’re headed in terms of emergency legislation. Cutting it in half over a two-year period is headed in the right direction for me.”

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2871 or rgauthier@coxohio.com.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 4:36am

Conflicting Emergency Legislation Quotes??

1)  "That figure drastically dipped in 2007 to 63 percent, when Landen said former City Manager Ron Olson decided he wanted council members to have more time to consider certain items."  I don't recall Ron Olson being the City Manager in 2007??

2)  "The numbers do not lie. Gilleland kept somewhat level with Olson’s 2007 figures during 2008 with 64 percent of all ordinances coming forward as an emergency."  Once again, I don't recall Ron Olson being the City Manager in 2007??

3)  Does anyone remember the name Steve Huesmann??  Surely some senior City staff must have been mis-quoted by the Middletown Journal??  Say it 'aint so !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 8:33am
Never mind HusemannLOL, what about Becker.....I guess they were both forgettable.LOL
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 8:54am
Allow me to quote our former president,George W. Bush.

"Things are looking good,we have a comprehensive plan".
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Allow me to quote our former president,George W. Bush.

"Things are looking good,we have a comprehensive plan".

I can't help but like G.W. the man... Big%20smile
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 6:08pm
Excellent point Wasteful.  Miss Judy did take a bit of a swipe at the tenure of Bill Becker as City Manager didn't she??
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 14 2010 at 6:20pm
Surely certain senior City staff wouldn't utilize Emergency Legislation as a tactic for minimizing citizen scrutiny of programs and expenditures that have helped to multiply the number of HUD subidized housing of all types in Middletown??  Surely not??

Not many people know that the City spent a considerable amount of CDBG and HOME Programs funds to financially subsidize low-income rental housing projects in the first part of the of the past decade.  It might be interesting to ask for an accounting of these City allocations of HUD funds for the Doty House Project, Curtis Street Project, Woodland Manor Apartments, etc.  And, there may very well be others that I'm not aware of.

In addition to the above, nearly $500,000 of CDBG funds were used from 2003 to 2005 to bail out the Middletown Consolidated School Department in demolishing the old Amanda School plus the Maple Park School buidlings.  I thought that the MiddletownUSA readers might want to know about this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic