FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steve Price New Superintendent of Hazelwood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steve Price New Superintendent of Hazelwood
    Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 11:53am

Steve Price, who comes from Ohio and has more than 32 years of experience in education, will take over as superintendent of the Hazelwood School District on July 1.

Price most recently served as the superintendent for seven years in Middletown City Schools, a district of about 7,000 students in Ohio, before resigning last July. While in Middletown, Price helped improve achievement levels for all students, while reducing the achievement gap. Hazelwood officials say he is also credited with decreasing the dropout rate, creating a unique mentoring program, upgrading facilities and creating a consortium on race and equity in schools.

Source:
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/the-grade/public-schools/2010/02/hazelwood-hires-new-superintendent-to-replace-nicastro-who-became-state-education-chief-last-year/

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 4:06pm
Hopefully, this means that we are finally done with this guy and won't have to pay him on his contract any longer. Feel sorry for the people who have kids in the Hazelwood Missouri school system. They won't be happy in a couple of years. Oh well, he's their problem now.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 4:20pm

Why is there no outrage with the public employees whom are taking over the country, enjoy the best retirement packages, best pay, no stress? This is surreal. Was Dr. Price drawing his pay while also being an Adjunct Professor at MUM and doing consulting work? I remain astounded how either foolhardy or completely brain dead Americans have become, especially in Middletown. He gets a year's salary, pushed by a school board President who does alot of accounting work in the public sector, is at MUM all the time, and lands an Adjunct Professor role, while probably being paid by the school system.

I am deeply disturbed by the way the public employees are on a runaway train driving our system into backruptcy. Sorry to disagree with you Vet, please Middletownians had a responsibility for those who knew his poor track record, to inform others. Of course, it appears others helped shield his path by focusing upon Wisconsin. He got an excellent position in St. Louis, and boasts how he lowered drop-out rate (not true), turned around performance (not true), got new infrastructure in place (true- by being dishonest and stating enrollment would increase), and showed no leadership,

The lack of spine in this community just leaves me fuming. He got a better job than he had in Middletown, paid for a year, while also getting paid for his other work. I've had enough, if I have to auction my home, dump it...I'm out of this city for good. Its overrum by the majority of public servants who think they are entitled, and citizens who just could care less about anything meaningful. This is a shameful epipsode.    
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2010 at 7:39pm
acclaro- this Hazelwood position hit us all by surprise. The last thing I knew, Price was still in Oshkosh as a candidate to be their super. I had asked about his status in an earlier post this past week.

John posted a link to the St.Louis paper serving Hazelwood Missouri. I have registered with that paper and intend to offer my comments about the hiring of Price. The news article does not accurately reflect Price's performance while here in Middletown. I intend to let the people know another side of things, albeit, too late for the people in Hazelwood. At least they'll know what they have to deal with for the next few years and will know that all was not all peaches and cream as the article suggests. Please join me in posting your opinions about Price to the Hazelwood people.

I agree with the public servant positions, the lack of public outrage, etc. I believe this scenario of supers leaving one district to be recyled and reclaimed by another is epidemic. IMO, there needs to be a nation-wide network setup where a district that is shopping around for a super can review candidates on a super search website that allows for the district the super leaves to input concerning performance, weaknesses and strengths, etc. to benefit a potential receiving district. Might save some long term pain for some unsuspecting school districts as to potential problem supers. These are public positions funded by the taxpayers and they have a right to know what their money is buying and the quality of the character of the one running their district. When you go public with your position, IMO, you give up that privacy.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 12:58am

Whatever Price did here, I wish the Middletown community would just let him alone. People learn lessons and change their performance. Maybe he will fail in Hazelwood, but give him the chance to succeed if he was hired. People will read website comments and doubt him from day one, which is not fair to anyone.

If you wanted Price gone, just be thankful and let him go. This addiction to wishing his external banishing from employment is sickening. Find a hobby.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 9:29am
SupportMiddletown- the info. we received from the people in Mansfield must have done some good. The person dropped out before selection time and may have saved us some major heartaches down the road. Shouldn't we offer, albeit too late, the same favor that was accorded us? SOME of these supers have a habit of going from district to district, unrestricted, double-dipping, poor performing, without being policed, dragging once proud systems down like the Titanic. Need to have a network with performance histories on them so that the potential receiving district won't make the same mistake again. These are public positions after all.

Do you really think he'll change? I've talked to Price. He and I got into it at a pro-levy rally years ago at the old Seniors Center downtown, when I brought along the proficency scores from the last 5 years and asked him why they were significantly lower than any district around here and why we should give him more money to produce the same results that didn't appear to be improving. He became very irate and said to me, "well, I just don't see it that way". I asked again for him to explain how he saw it and got "avoid the issues" talk.

Got a hobby....picking on people who need to be banished. Some city leaders come to mind. Some school board members come to mind.

Sorry you find external banishment to be "sickening". The public, in all towns, must be protected and informed about these public parasites. An information network for potential super candidates is needed to protect unsuspecting communities from hiring destructive people. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 10:24am
But he has been hired. The deal is done. Now it is time to just forget Steve Price.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 10:34am
I think Price, or any official, may be a good fit somewhere, just not here.  Based on his marching orders when he was hired, he made "some" progress.  The problem was most of us disagreed with those marching orders and he failed to change over time or play nice with others.  The last few years most of us disagreed with his priorities but he wasn't a thief, a tabloid embarrassment, or particularly unqualified.  Informing other communities of your opinion may be one thing but if someone is suggesting that he be hounded to the ends of the earth so he can't get another job is over the line.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 11:22am
To me, it appears the lack of proper vetting is a defect which encompasses those elected offciials, who act more as figure heads in positions as school board members and city council members locally, as well as those on the national stage.

In reality, it is obvious he has many references to use in spite of his performance, who all have said "yes" when he repeats actions which were simply falsehoods. That is absolutely wrong, and doing a disservice to another community.

Dr. Price talked forever about that Project  with MUM and then Toledo, which never was real, all in an effort to convince the Ohio Commission Middletown offered students a distinct advantage as part of the land grab. That's dishonesty in my opinion, and where I have worked, it would be considered unethical and grounds for termination.

As for performance, the review of performance does not reflect what Dr. Price stated to the St. Louis community. He has a contract, he is safe, but I certainly feel a morale obligation to let others know my opinion and the additioanal facts associated with Dr. Price and his performance in Middletown. That's the problem in the public sector, an underperformer gets pumped up with half truths or no truths. Wasn't the financial manager fired in Monroe or maybe Trenton, sued, and then was pciked up my another district.

As for chasing Dr. Price to the end of the earth, or a scorched earth strategy, that would be futile and a waste of time. He probably has every city council members, the Dean at MUM, and undoubtedly the school board, providing written letters of recommendation as embellishing his performance. Just like the city council did with Ron olson- he thought he was going to be fired and had a job at the West Chester system, and was astounded city council actually thought he had done a good job and stayed. He then ets the heads up...wink, wink---Middletown going down the drain, better be looking elsewhere in spite of having a contract. The bottom line: what Dr. Price said he did---never materialized. He was aided in that belief by the very ones whom fired him. This public sector nonesense needs to stop, cleaned up, and reengineered. Butler Cty has so many inept double dippers it gives me a headache. But, people tolerate. No outrage, no accountability,  maybe that's the effect of a union on a community. Just my opinion, but as I have friends in that district, I surely will be clarifying some comments made which do not reflect reality. But those new school buildings are sure doing alot of good in Middletown, aren't they?      
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Was Dr. Price drawing his pay while also being an Adjunct Professor at MUM and doing consulting work? I remain astounded how either foolhardy or completely brain dead Americans have become, especially in Middletown. He gets a year's salary, pushed by a school board President who does alot of accounting work in the public sector, is at MUM all the time, and lands an Adjunct Professor role, while probably being paid by the school system.

Acclaro, If Price is being paid for teaching at MUM, I assume he's being paid on a per class basis with no benefits. But perhaps you know better, since you claim he's "at MUM all the time"? How do you know that?

Do you have some special information about Dr. Price's contract? The adjuncts I know who teach receive very little pay per class, which is why those who make a living doing adjunct work often teach multiple sections of courses at multiple institutions with no health nor retirement benefits.   But hey, what do I know about these things, I'm still learning English grammar.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

Whatever Price did here, I wish the Middletown community would just let him alone. People learn lessons and change their performance. Maybe he will fail in Hazelwood, but give him the chance to succeed if he was hired. People will read website comments and doubt him from day one, which is not fair to anyone.

If you wanted Price gone, just be thankful and let him go. This addiction to wishing his external banishing from employment is sickening. Find a hobby.

You make good points here, but you'll be slammed for them here, of course.    

Although you may not be suggesting this, I wouldn't take posts you read here as representative of the Middletown community though. The people who live around me and the people I encounter in town don't talk about Price. The only place I hear (read) people bashing Price is on this blog.

I also trust that residents in Hazlewood who read blog posts here in Middletown have the good sense to make up their minds about Price (or anyone else) based on performance and not the rants of a few bitter people.   
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 3:52pm
Marianne- "not the rants of a few bitter people"....Bitter?....perhaps.....but with justifiable cause. Look at the record. Look at the accomplishments. Facts are hard to deny.

As to your comment concerning people not talking about Price. I don't hear people talking about Price either but since he is the topic here, I surmise that he will be discussed.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 3:58pm
Marianne, I find your commenst to be rather disingenuous regarding those whom hold a difering opinion thn you, while also using "bitter" in such a grossly exaggerated manner.

To begin, I can assure you, your feelings about the masses supporting Dr. Price is simply stated, grossly misplaced. Of course one man nor woman, can control all aspects of performance associated with a school's perfrmance. But Dr. Price brought it upon himself. He stated for years, the goal of Middletown being rated the first urban district in Ohio to receive an excellent rating. Indeed, its mindsets such as you have expressed, which undermine the city and a continuous effort to imporive, by offering mediocrity is acceptable.

Secondly, as for "bitterness", perhaps the reference is how such mediocrity is the norm within the city, where such little is expected, and performance means nothing. Hence, those whom express an opinion associated with a new position when he floundered in Middletown, while drawing pay, and two contract positions with additional earnings is not "bitter." Rather, it reflects the degree of perks and benefits given for performance which did not measure to the stated objectives of the individual, after being given numerous time to fulfill those goals. One assumes although not stated on the Ohio report card. Dr. Price should be credited to advancing a few points, performance, it just didn't reflect upon the grade. In other words, the D student should be praised for earning a 67 on the second try, after a 64 on the first.

You need to get out more Marianne, you'll hear far more trashing of Dr. Price and others than anything you'll read on this site. And this is from people around me whom are among the most notable and educated within the city. He has his contract, he'll be set for retirement. You need not have any worries about Dr. Price. I wonder if he'll have a Hazelwood Promise?          
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 4:15pm

I did not read your earlier post Marianne regarding MUM. Having a father whom was a university President, I am well aware of the problems associated with Adjunct Professors, and also the benefits. UC has terrific Adjuncts, including one who is a senior executive at JNJ- Ethicon. Another I know is a top clinical psychiatrist with a thriving practice in Blue Ash. My understanding was Dr. Price was paid benefits for one year, so your point rings hollow, unless I misunderstood the plan he was extended. The vast majority of Adjuncts work fulltime in other positions, and therefore have benefits from their employer.

I've personally seen Dr. Price on numerous occasions at MUM prior to his contract buyout. In spite of your stereotypical belief, there are actually a few Phi Beta Kappa's on this site (and others), but there is no need nor effort to attempt to always be the smartest guy or gal in the room. Dr. Price didn't deliver.  Most know in Middletown those words are foreign, atypical, unfathonable, But in the real world, that's called being succinct and direct.    
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 4:24pm
I find this continuined bashing of Dr Price rediculous! You people need to get a life. He is gone, that's what you all wanted, right? Leave him alone and let him get on with his life and take of his family. But I guess that would be too much to ask. I am assuming that all of you have been perfect in all of your posiion that you have held. I can also assume that you were so perfect that if people bashed you the way you have Price that it would not bother you.

Leave him alone and get out of his life. There are more important things in this community that need attention. Maybe if you used the same amount of energy on the real concerns in our community as you have bashing Dr Price we might go somewhere.

He's gone,,,end of story.. MOVE ON!!!!!Angry
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 4:57pm

^Your screename is quite appropriate with that post.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 5:23pm

Marianne, I find your commenst to be rather disingenuous regarding those whom hold a difering opinion thn you, while also using "bitter" in such a grossly exaggerated manner.

To begin, I can assure you, your feelings about the masses supporting Dr. Price is simply stated, grossly misplaced.

Acclaro, I never said the masses supported Dr. Price. I just said no one I talk with has much to say about him. And why would they? He's no longer superintendent.    

You need to get out more Marianne, you'll hear far more trashing of Dr. Price and others than anything you'll read on this site. And this is from people around me whom are among the most notable and educated within the city. He has his contract, he'll be set for retirement. You need not have any worries about Dr. Price. I wonder if he'll have a Hazelwood Promise?          

Glad that you spend time with "the most notable and educated within the city." I would think those folks would have better things to do than talk about a guy who is no longer Superintendent. But again, what do I know?

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 5:35pm

I did not read your earlier post Marianne regarding MUM. Having a father whom was a university President, I am well aware of the problems associated with Adjunct Professors, and also the benefits. UC has terrific Adjuncts, including one who is a senior executive at JNJ- Ethicon. Another I know is a top clinical psychiatrist with a thriving practice in Blue Ash. My understanding was Dr. Price was paid benefits for one year, so your point rings hollow, unless I misunderstood the plan he was extended. The vast majority of Adjuncts work fulltime in other positions, and therefore have benefits from their employer.

I've personally seen Dr. Price on numerous occasions at MUM prior to his contract buyout. In spite of your stereotypical belief, there are actually a few Phi Beta Kappa's on this site (and others), but there is no need nor effort to attempt to always be the smartest guy or gal in the room. Dr. Price didn't deliver.  Most know in Middletown those words are foreign, atypical, unfathonable, But in the real world, that's called being succinct and direct.    

My comment about adjuncts had nothing to do with the quality of adjuncts, acclaro. I know that people who are professionally successful also serve as adjuncts. My statement about adjuncts concerns the pay and benefits they receive. I'm a bit suspicious of the claim "The vast majority of adjuncts work fulltime in other positions, and therefore have benefits from their employer."

So you've seen Price at MUM before his buyout. Ok, but you posted how he's at MUM "all the time"?    

By "contract," I was referring to Price's contract at MUM for teaching. If you have knowledge that he's getting benefits from MUM for a year, I'd be surprised.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 5:39pm
Better to look forward Marianne through glass when driving, than the rear view mirror. Dr. Price is of no concern of mine, other than the impact his actions and others, have had on property values. But what do I know or care, I just watch the city crumble and my investment go down the drain. But, everyone does do some good along with the harm, and we must look at the brighter future. Because...its going to be bright! I know it will, because the city told me so.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 8:54pm
I used to think this town's only hope for a quick infusion of jobs and money would be if we got a casino.  Now I'm wondering if we could have used the marketing dollars to entice a producer and network to produce a reality show about M'town.  One idea could be to televise contestants operating a few giant wrecking balls -- just leveling the hell out of everything in town. Call it "City in Ruins" or "This Town's A Wreck!".  Maybe another idea would be to set off a small nuke in downtwn and see if anything was impacted (or improved!) -- call it "Smoke 'em Out" or "Ghost Town".  Another concept would be "Are You Smarter Than These Fools?" where 5th graders from around the country compete in a quiz show against city council members and high school students from MHS in a battle of brains and common sense.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 9:44am
Big%20smile WOW!!!  I must be smarter than even I, myself, think that I am!!!  I didn't think that was even possible!!! Big%20smile 

For some unknown reason, I stayed completely out of this Price thingie ever since he resigned.  (Even a blind squirrell finds an acorn once in a while!!!)  LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
HSD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 1:29pm
Why did Steve Price leave Middletown SD? I have looked on the internet and all I can find is that he left due to mutual agreement. Why was there such an outpouring from the community on wanting him to leave? I am truly worried about what HSD has gotten themselves in for. Demographically our district is almost opposite as yours and is almost three times as large. You all wanted him gone and several school districts he interviewed in did not hire him. This does not sound like it bodes well for HSD. Can we get some answers from those of you who have lived through his tenure in MSD?
sportsnut View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sportsnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 1:44pm
Vet, Us folks over in Monroe are trying to tell you about the lying, deceit, and incompetence of SunCoke before you allow them into your city but you just won't listen. Why would another city listen to you about Dr Price? Monroe has shown hard facts of how this company doesn't live up to their promises (like Dr Price according to you) but the people of Middletown are willing to accept them with open arms, yet you want to protect others from Dr Price cause you know his abilities(or lack thereof according to you) better than they do.

I am so confused?
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 7:40pm
HSD, to sum it up succintly, Price was brought in by the board to (1) improve performance in a decaying, struggling district (failed), (2) increase staff diversity (succeeded), and (3) get new levies passed (mixed results).  The public never bought in to #2 and #3.  He was able get passage of a levy for the construction of new elementaries and I think a couple operating levies but I think they were just renewals and not increased funding.  Many in the community questioned his poor bedside manner with teachers and others in the public.  He regarded hiring minority administrators and paying for diversity consultants to "re-wire" teachers' thinking more important than improving state test scores and maintaining discipline.  The latter issue became his undoing as the schools rarely expelled or otherwise held students accountable.  That said, maybe he is a good fit for your situation.  Good luck.
HSD View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2010 at 8:43pm
Thanks Bill....this should prove to be interesting. We are definitely a diverse district and need to improve test scores.  However, as I read upon his diversity program it seems he is saying it is the teachers fault students aren't achieving. If this is indeed the case I think staff will have a problem buying into his philosophy.....teachers can only do so much without family support. As far as discipline.....I hope he is not lax. Our district already frequently makes the news with discipline incidents. We do not need anymore news time for fights and such.

It sounds like we will be needing that luck you wished us.

Again thanks for the info....I appreciate it and so will others in the district.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic