FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Police Purchasing New Cruisers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Police Purchasing New Cruisers
    Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 9:06am
Some interesting numbers on the size of Middletown's Police Department, and statistics on police cruisers.

Middletown Purchases Nine New Police Cruisers
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2007 at 11:59am
Cruisers last an average of 3 years before being replaced, turning over an average of 80,000 miles a year.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 9:50am
What is wrong with refurbished police cars ? What would be the price difference between buying new and refurbishing ? The average rebuilt engine goes for about $1,000 give or take.Police engines probably a little more.I have no idea what the cost of a new outfitted car would cost but refurbished has got to be the economical solution.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 8:40am
MICHIGAN RECONDITIONING
Michigan Reconditioning & Fleet Services (MRFS) is a full-service, automotive repair and maintenance shop located in Livonia, MI. MRFS will take vehicles that a department is ready to get rid of and recondition them; that is, replace every wearable mechanical item. This includes A/C, wiring, axle, etc. MRFS does not buy the cars from the departments—it performs this service for the departments, which saves them between $12,000 and $15,000 per vehicle. PFM spoke with Michigan Reconditioning’s owner Stu Durocher.

http://www.mrfsauto.com

Once a car arrives at MRFS, it is looked over, and MRFS gives the department a quote. Durocher said the company has an “a la carte” mentality; that is, if a department changed a transmission recently, he will not replace it. Every wearable item on the cars is replaced, except for fuel pumps and master cylinders. All brakes are replaced regardless of condition.

The engine oil, transmission oil and fuel filter are all changed as standard procedure. Mechanics do install factory OEM engines and transmissions. Turnaround time for the reconditioning is about two weeks. They will typically put 50 miles on the cars to make sure they run well and no “check engine” light appears.

MRFS does not repaint the cars, but it will do cosmetic or touch-up painting if necessary. Durocher said the majority of the cars’ bodies are in good shape. They can outsource a repainting job, but that adds on cost to the customer. They do clean and detail all cars upon delivery, which includes a washing, a waxing and a wipe-down. They also replace a lot of seat cushions.

MRFS provides its service to every type of agency. According to Durocher, “Size doesn’t matter.” The company once reconditioned about 20 vehicles from Lake County, IN, and the department used the money saved to implement a take-home fleet. Another customer is Wayne State University Police in Detroit. Additional clients are from Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, and as far as Florida and California. Shipping is $500 roundtrip.

Their cars typically have between 80,000 and 120,000 miles on them and are between 3 and 5 years old. Durocher said the cars are good for three years after being reconditioned, and then they are usually handed down to building or roads commissions. They deal with all makes and models, but prices vary depending on the vehicle. They have even done a “paddywagon” for less than half of the price of a new one.

A 2-year-old Ford CVPI with 85,000 miles would cost between $12,000 and $12,500 at Michigan Reconditioning. Durocher points out the substantial savings compared to the same vehicle brand-new, which could cost more than $21,000.

POLICE CRUISERS
Police Cruisers in Middletown, OH is one of the oldest and most trusted refurbishing / reconditioning companies in the country, according to owner Bill Kirkpatrick. When Police Cruisers receives a car, it goes through a rigorous inspection process to determine what major repairs are needed, such as new brakes, new tires, etc. Kirkpatrick said sometimes the cars come in “OK shape,” so they only replace parts that are really worn.

The engine and transmission oil as well as the fuel filter are all changed regardless. In addition, every car is thoroughly washed and cleaned, detailed and painted. The engine compartment and motor are de-greased, which takes between 40,000 and 50,000 miles off the life of the motor. Mechanics will install rebuilt engines and transmissions as needed. Police Cruisers employees paint the cars to their customers’ requests, but Kirkpatrick said they mostly do white.

Cars at Police Cruisers are purchased from all over the United States, “wherever good cars with low miles can be found,” Kirkpatrick said. City cars are hard on miles, so Kirkpatrick tends to stay away from them and holds out for the best. “It’s easy to buy junk…a lot of cars are nothing more than taxi cab material,” he said. But he doesn’t eliminate any agency whether it’s urban or rural, as there are always good cars within departments.

Police Cruisers sells to some of the biggest, as well as some of the smallest, departments across the country. Some departments have one car while others have 30 cars. Agencies’ finances change every year, so Kirkpatrick deals with many different situations and budgets. He sells primarily Ford CVPIs and Chevy Impalas. Kirkpatrick said the company will sell Dodges once the Chargers become available, but they are still too new to be recycled. Vehicles at Police Cruisers average between 35,000 miles and 65,000 miles, but the company has had cars with as few as 9,500 miles. It generally does not take any car more than 5 years old, but “there are exceptions to the rule,” Kirkpatrick said.

A 2004 Ford CVPI with 50,000 miles retails for $10,995 at Police Cruisers and includes a three-year/45,000-mile warranty. Police Cruisers ships nationally, and the farthest it has sent a car was Wallbridge, AK. Kirkpatrick guarantees the quality of his cars; if anyone is interested in one of his cars and comes to see it and for some reason doesn’t like it, he will pay the expenses of the trip.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2009 at 10:26am
I don't consider 3 years/ 80,000 miles on a vehicle to be excessive, especially with routine oil changes and maint. Perhaps, in these economically challenging times and with the city constantly telling us they are cash poor, the logical thing to do is to extend the mileage beyond 3 years/80,000 for new purchases. Why the hurry to spend money on new cruisers when it may not be needed? I seriously doubt if the average citizen would trade in a 3 year old car with 80,000 miles on it. At this age and mileage, it's probably still worth the cost of repairs to keep it running rather than to incur the cost of purchasing a new one and making payments for 4-5-6 years or more. If Gilleland and crew are going to do this, stop crying about the lack of revenue. This is a perfect example of the mismanagement of funds in this town. CLEAN HOUSE IN NOVEMBER! PURGE THE 's.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 11:10am
If you really want to mention vehicle purchases for the city - why are their crew cab trucks being bought for the fire dept.  I know they do not show up for a fire in this - they need the fire trucks.  So if they are for the chief - they do not need such an expensive truck.  There is a lot of mismangement in the money being spent on vehicles in the city - it is one of the biggest wastes of money this city has.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 1:48pm
Can  anyone tell me why there is a police car sitting at the entrance of  KOKOSING on Yankee Rd? It sits there every day up by the buildings. Are we paying for security for them?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 6:38pm
Doesn't seem to add up. No wonder we have trouble balancing the budget.

Originally posted by Bill Rogers Bill Rogers wrote:

Some interesting numbers on the size of Middletown's Police Department, and statistics on police cruisers.

Interesting numbers indeed!!!  City Hall must use "Middletown Math"!!!
<SPAN lang=EN></SPAN> 

<SPAN lang=EN>According to Ms. Gilleland at a recent council meeting:

<DIR>
<DIR>

“Cruisers last an average of 3 years before being replaced, turning over an average of 80,000 miles a year.”

“Middletown maintains a fleet of 29 marked police vehicles, 23 of which are used by uniform patrol. The Middletown Police Department put over 600,000 miles on their fleet of cruisers each year.

<FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=2 face=Arial></DIR></DIR><FONT face=Arial>

600,000 divided by 29 = less than 21,000 per year, per cruiser!!!

</SPAN>
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 8:26pm
Why dont the city buy Chevy Impalas with the new 4 - 6 - 8 engine? they would save a bundle in fuel alone instead of those gas gussling  fords. In the southern states they all have chevys to save fuel. When I lived in Springfield I saved yhem 28,000 on a fleat of chevys over buying fords. They are cheaper to maintain also.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 9:02pm
Thanks again Impala SS for your great suggestions to streamline our wayward municipal government.ClapClapClap  What you say makes too much sense for the all-knowing ELITISTS at One Donham Plaza!AngryAngryAngry

On a personal note, many of us MiddletownUSA participants are praying for your 100% victory in your current medical battle.StarStarStar  God Bless You!ClapClapClap

Smokey
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2009 at 6:22am
Close to the truth Impala
Police acquired two dark blue Chevy Malibu hybrids.
Look like very nice vehicles.
I asked a police Major "Does this mean that you can't catch me now?"
He replied "Well--I'll follow you and catch you when you run out of gas."

Hey Impala--all the best to you
Stay as healthy as possible. 
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 5:04pm
Impala,
Have you called the police department to ask about the cruiser sitting there?

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 5:06pm
Mike Presta,
Divide that number by the 23 used by uniformed patrol and multiple it by 3, and you'll get about 78K, I believe, which is close to the average of 80 mentioned.   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Marianne Marianne wrote:

Mike Presta,
Divide that number by the 23 used by uniformed patrol and multiple it by 3, and you'll get about 78K, I believe, which is close to the average of 80 mentioned.   
Marianne:

The story states that: "The Middletown Police Department put over 600,000 miles on their fleet of cruisers each year."

If one divides this TOTAL number of miles logged by the FLEET of cruisers by the NUMBER of CARS in the fleet (even using the lower number of 23), one cannot approach the 80,000 miles per cruiser average that Ms. Gilleland discussed at the council meeting. (The number is 26,087.)

With all due respect, Ms. Marianne, neither the number of drivers nor the number of shifts matter. In the story and in the replay of the meeting, it was clear that Ms. Gilleland spoke of the total miles on the fleet and the miles on the individual cruisers.

To examine this question from another angle, please consider the three cruisers that have “turned an average of 80,000 miles a year.” If this is typical of all “23 used by uniformed patrol”, then the 23 cruisers times 80,000 would equal about 1,840,000 miles, more than ONE MILLION miles per year more than Ms. Gilleland discussed. (To use your “times 3” methodology, this would exceed one half BILLION miles per year for the total fleet, nearly TEN TIMES the 600,000 mentioned by Ms. Gilleland!)

I stand by my original statements:

Interesting numbers indeed!!! City Hall must use "Middletown Math"!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2009 at 9:19pm
Mr. Presta -

Not only do the bureaucrats at One Donham Plaza use Middletown Math, they also use "Middletown Program Oversight" and "Middletown Citizen Participation."

Turn on the lights Queen of Middletown, the spotlight of concerned Middletown citizens will eventually shine on you and your underlings!AngryAngryAngry
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 11:55am
Mike you are right on the numbers.  600k divided by 23 (uniform officers) is approx 26k, not 80.  What I don't understand is when you have financial troubles, you usually look at cutting costs unless you are the city of Middletown.  At any given shift there are not 23 vehicles being used - are they sitting in the garage or are they being driven home by the officers.  When they drive to Hamilton for court - why not take a impounded vehicle or pay the gas milage and let them drive themselves.  There where more questions that should be asked by council (if they can do math) then just saying okay to the purchases.  A little common sense needs to be used. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 1:17pm
Bobbie:
You are correct.  If I am not mistaken, even on night shifts on Fridays and Saturdays there are only 8 patrolmen persons patrol officers on the streets.  However, the "Middletown math" appeared to be confusing enough, and I thought that I had made my point.

However, I disagree with you about cruisers being taken home...I am in favor of it!!  (I wish that a police officer lived nest door to me and left his cruiser parked in front of my house every night.)  In fact, I think it's fine for the officer to stop at the bank and at the grocery store on the way home in his cruiser.  Actually, any de minimis use is fine...and any use while the officer is in uniform.

If I'm in a spot late at night that requires more police, or one or more specially trained officers, I want them to be able to hop in a crusier and roll to the scene ASAP, lit up and with sirens as needed!  The few bucks it costs to let them use the (otherwise idle) cruisers for commuting and an occasion errand are fine by me.  (It'll be fine by you, too, the first time you need them in a hurry.  How quickly do you want the "hostage negotiater" to get there, if YOU are the hostage?)
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 2:18pm
Mike,

I agree with you on the taking the car home.  I had not thought of that.  You make a really good point.  There are a lot of good ways to save money.  It just takes some good common sense and allowing the public to help.  We are all in this together.  That is one of reasons I like this forum - we all can help each other using different point of views.  I just wish the city managment would open there eyes and see what is important to the citizens, and quit treating us like we are gradeschoolers that don't know any better.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 2:31pm
So you all are ok with footing the Bill for 80-100 Cruisers, gas, added insurance, added liability, added maintenance, so each officer gets their own car, and here we are bitchin about replacing a few cruisers. 

I don't see Middletowns crime rate as anywhere near a level that requires that kind of Police Fleet.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 2:57pm
No I am not.  But the first point to be brought up is why did we have 29 cruisers when there are only 8 out at a time.  I do not have a problem with some extra (needed for down time, maintenance on vehicles) but it does not hurt for the ones available to be taken home by officers on a rotation basis.  But 29 is excessive for the amounts we have out on the streets.  Give them the benefit 10 on the streets, 2 for superivisors, and 5 for extra - that still only adds upto 17. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 3:22pm
I believe the Cruiser number is 23 the other 6 are probably unmaked units.  If you have a max of 10 in use at one time and then you have 5 backup cars when you have vehicles down or in accidents,  2 Supervisors cars, School Resource Officers car.  Do officers also drive them to court, transport prisoners, do they use the vehicles for out of town use say if a LT. has to go to Cinci, etc.?   For a force of this size 29 vehicles is not excessive in my opinion, are they all being used at once no.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2009 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

So you all are ok with footing the Bill for 80-100 Cruisers, gas, added insurance, added liability, added maintenance, so each officer gets their own car, and here we are bitchin about replacing a few cruisers. 
WHAT???  Hold yer horses, Pacman!  I didn't say anything about buying 50+ more cruisers (to bring the total up to 80 to 100)!

My point was: It is a legitimate and reasonable use of public funds for idle cruisers to be driven home by key personnel, rather than to be left parked at the police station.  Further, that when this happens, some latitude should be shown in allowing officers in uniform to pick up a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread, or to otherwise make a personal stop or two on the way to or from home.

This is not to say that an officer should dye his hair orange, paint his face with tiger stripes, load up a cruiser with beer and drive his buddies to the next Bengals-Browns game in Cleveland on the Public dime.
stewie View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 8:24pm
The MPD runs on 3 shifts so IMO it would not be practical for officers to take vehicles home.  Also let's not forget those 80k miles are driven hard so I would imagine they are in the workshop more often.  It would be interesting to see how often they are involved in crashes and whether any of the new cruisers are replacing ones that are beyond repair.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 8:59pm
Someone takes their police vehicle home. 

I've noticed a Middletown PD Cruiser parked in a driveway near Britton Ln in Monroe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic