FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downtown Stroll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downtown Stroll
    Posted: Mar 22 2010 at 11:00pm
First Baptist Church, designed by Frank Mills Andrews (http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewer.exe?CISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=1499)

Middletown Cabinet, ready for the land swap

Adjacent demolition

Will they keep going?

The end.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 6:58am
OK...help me out, some of you old-timers!!  Now that I see the Midd-Town Cabinet building...didn't it once house the Top Value stamps redemtion center????  They were the yellow stamps. (S&H stamps, the green ones, had a redemption center over on Central in the 1400 block, I think.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 7:13am
You are correct in that they used to redeem trading stamps although which ones they traded in I'm not sure of my memory fails me.I can tell you that they moved to this location from Crawford St. by the old Elites store. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 7:40am
wow--the photos speak loudly.
So much for econ development, historical property and booming business downtown.

And the old hobby shop is the Vail piece valued as equal to 1607 Central for a land swap + moving expenses(at public expense)?

Not quite as lop-sided as the Duncan land swap, but selective business welfare at the expense of the citizens.
Perfectly rationalizes why the city should not be involved in these processes(at least not the way chosen).
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 9:33pm
Wow,,,,I grew up at First Baptist and have great memories at that old church. It is truly sad that a building that beautiful has gone to ruins. These pics paint the true picture of Middletown. Yes folks we are a growing and classy community. Cry
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2010 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

OK...help me out, some of you old-timers!!  Now that I see the Midd-Town Cabinet building...didn't it once house the Top Value stamps redemtion center????  They were the yellow stamps. (S&H stamps, the green ones, had a redemption center over on Central in the 1400 block, I think.)
Mike....Yes I remember this being the TV stamp place. I used to go there with my parents. They also collected S&H Green stamps as well as the coupons on the packs of Raleigh cigarettes, if anyone remembers them.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2010 at 7:19am
Remember grandma collecting S&H Green Stamps (at the grocery I believe), bringing sheets of them home and handing them to me to lick the back of those stamps( before we got smart and used a wet dish rag, of course) to paste into the books. What a great job... Then, as she accumulated several books, grandpa, grandma and I would go down to the old redemption store and get a toaster or something they needed. Didn't collect Top Value Stamps as much. Different grocery stores offered different stamps, didn't they? Grandpa smoked unfiltered Lucky Stikes or Camels back then. Didn't buy Raleighs for the coupons, by I do remember them.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2010 at 12:40pm
Vet - LOL didn't you realize ole granny was just using you as a "stamp licker " ?

We all loved and cared for our grandparents a great deal but it's funny how it took us years to realize we were "used" for all kinds of goofy stuff.  LOL

I bet you couldn't pay a kid good money today to lick 10 sheets of stamps. LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 3:48am
All of the valuable, original stained glass windows purchased by a Sorg descendant were removed from the former First Baptist Church on South Main Street around a week ago.

Where did they go?  Who took them?

Wacko
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 4:08am
TudorBrown
Where were they located?
I went down Main Street late yesterday and the ones in the front area were still there.
It is my understanding that the South Main Street crowd complained and this building is going to be demoed very soon.
Maybe the owners of the property sold the stained glass windows to the Mooreman's before the demo.
What a shame this was such a beautiful church.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 6:02am
If the church was so beautiful why didn't one of you Middletown USA complainers take ownership of it and fix it up.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 6:28am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

If the church was so beautiful why didn't one of you Middletown USA complainers take ownership of it and fix it up.

Why?

1. No disposable income for most of us to tackle a project like this.

2. Costly asbestos issues perhaps and EPA involvement? Who needs that?

3. Most wouldn't have the time to devote to a project like this nor the resources.

4. What would one do with the building once it was rehabbed?

5. Cost prohibitive for most budgets. Probably no grants or low interest loans available to average citizens to finance the rehab. Just a guess.

No one is blaming your buddies at city hall Middletown 29 for the slow death of the church. Most are just making a comment that it was once a beautiful structure, now fallen into disrepair due to a lack of attention. Kinda like the city itself. Once a fine city, fallen into disrepair in the last 30 years due to a lack of attention from past and current leadership.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Why???  Because City Hall gave all of our cash to your pals at MMF to buy the opera house.

Oops...wait...they didn't buy the opera house, did they???  They just stuck the cash in their pockets!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 8:14am
M29--isn't this the core purpose of MMF, and why they were given funding?
Why have they not used the $$ they so urgently requested?
Why isn't the city ?ing their lack of action?

If they are doing something why don't the citizens know about it?
Especially after reading the confusing article about the necessity of public support.

Will anything ever be attempted outside of the former downtown area and the first few blocks of S Main St(where the Mayor, his family and Mr.Koehler live)?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 9:42am

Middletown Moving Forward Account
MMF start up collected………….$10,000
City of
Middletown
………………….. 75,000
TOTAL…………………………………… $85,000

From Denise Hamet
June 14, 2012
Current balance of MMF account $83,937.50

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 9:58am
If people from other towns read about MMF and the hopes that they will serve as a development arm of the city and then see that this account holds a WHOPPING $83,000 they would start laughing.  What a pathetic, broke town we must have.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2012 at 9:59am
Wait a dag-gone minute! This isn't Middletown! Someone Photoshopped these images.

These are taken from Syria and Libya. This cannot be downtown Middletown, the illustrative home to Cincinnati State with its 50% retention rate. Tell me it ain't so Yogi.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic