FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those Blazin' Truckdrivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those Blazin' Truckdrivers
    Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 7:42am
Valerie Griffin, Traffic Engineer (guess she watches traffic lights change all day- guess we need one of those) says that the big trucks are a "blazin'" down Central Avenue at 60 MPH!!! Hard to "blaze, Val, with the gear ratios on those big trucks and traffic lights at every corner, isn't it? Ms. Sherrer isn't happy either at this rogue "blazin'" The city has decided to start fining these ROGUE truck drivers that blaze. Of course they will....another pathetic attempt at generating revenue while being a business/people friendly little community at the same time! Let's mess with the people who bring us the supplies to the few businesses that remain in town....especially downtown. That's smart city hall! Real smart. Whoops....Hoffman says that the increase in truck traffic might be the result of the Sorg demolition. Those darn rogue truckers hauling away the rubble!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 8:21am
Now Vet that is not what the article said.  The article basically said Central Ave. is not a designated truck route and is not to be used as one or as a short cut.  If truckers have to make a delivery or pickup in the area they could do so.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 8:41am
Might be wasteful, but I still get a kick out of hearing the verbage usage by these people. Rogue and blazing to describe the situation. Great humor!
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 9:21am
I thought the 60 miles per hour was hilarious.  Sometimes people do not realize how stupid they sound.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 9:31am
Vet.....We're gonna get ticketed if we don't quit driving our pickups through there at 60 mph! Smile LOL
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Might be wasteful, but I still get a kick out of hearing the verbage usage by these people. Rogue and blazing to describe the situation. Great humor!

Vet, by "these people," you must mean the people who write for the Middletown Journal. The word "rogue" is a term used by the article writer. It's not a direct quote from Valerie Griffin: Valerie Griffin, a traffic engineer with the city, referred to rogue trucks as a “big problem” for Middletown.

Sherrer, not Griffin, is the person mentioned in the article as making the statement about how many trucks went through a light: "Sherrer once counted as many as 25 in the course of a single day." "Adriane Scherrer is sick of watching semitrailers blazing along Central Avenue.
“The speed limit out here is 35 and I’m telling you they fly through here at 60 mph,” she said."

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of opinions. :)

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 10:37am

I may be wrong on this - but wouldn' the speed limit downtown be 25 not 35. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 10:57am
Well alrighty then, Marianne. I stand corrected as to the details of the story. Don't suppose you would know about a well-used phrase, "the jest of the story" would you? Didn't know I would be graded on this, was still in freshman college English or I would have been on my best behavior on this. Thanks for the critique! Guess no credit hours for me! I'll certainly watch next time or face academic probation for sure!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 11:43am
Vet - It's not even noon yet and your already in trouble  LOL

I guess I need to find that article so I can put in my three cents worth.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 12:01pm
Hermes- by all means, read it. Then, I'd appreciate some critique from you. Please concentrate on building where other critics have left off. I especially enjoy being evaluated on accurate interpretations of articles on who said what, particularly when the article was more humorous than important. After you read the article, please respond with your best shot at criticism. Any less and I'll be disappointed. It can only make me a better person. Darn, we were just talking about sarcasm the other day with Ms. Andrew, and I'll be darn, there's some more of it!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 12:04pm
Found the article....who ever this Adriane Scherrer is it is apparent she hasn't a clue about what she is complaining about,sorry. As a former driver for starters it would take a loaded tractor/trailer at least ¾ to 1 mile to even get up to 60 miles per hour, bobtailing (thats the tractor minus the trailer) could be at 60 mph in a short distance.

All drivers know you can not take a truck through a town on a no truck route, they know this is illegal & they would not put their driving record in jeopardy and have to pay a fine if they were just passing through. I think Ms. Scherrer is seeing dump trucks running back and forth to the demolition sites which would make her complaint null and void. Besides there is not enough people or business in the downtown area to even worry about it.

I think she may also have been using a metaphor when she said 60 mph.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 1:19pm
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 3:06pm
Wow that's quite a slam on Adrian. I have had my run in with her, but I wouldn't call her the worst person in Middletown.

Of course now that Dr. Price has left town, there is a new opening...lol
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 3:27pm
Ms.Schearer is a very nice lady imo, and she cares very much about Middletown, particularly the area formerly known as downtown. Her comments seem to be taken beyond their intent, and the reaction of many seems far over the top. She is always volunteering her time for community causes with no personal agenda. She is more in tune with the mindset here than many of you might think. I like her and consider her my friend.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Wow that's quite a slam on Adrian. I have had my run in with her, but I wouldn't call her the worst person in Middletown.

Of course now that Dr. Price has left town, there is a new opening...lol

I can't believe you said that  ↑ LOL

Spider - Very well said. I don't know the lady myself but I do know that people mistakenly use the word truck to identify ALL types of truck's. I also know it's impossible to travel 60 mph down Central unless you hit every green light & you were already traveling at a good speed. (in a truck)

I'm assuming her statement was a metaphor concerning the 60 mph.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 4:29pm
Unbelievable!!!

Semi Trucks barreling through our Art District at 60 M.P.H. plus!!!

Imagine how many of our "artists" could have been smashed like bugs!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 5:50pm
I agree it would be absolutely impossible for a truck to stop at lights, and legally accelerate to 60 mph on Central. There is a light about every 100 yards downtown, and coming up, with a trailer, there is no truck which could reach 60 mph before it came to Marathon. I think the word would be hyperbole than a metaphor, although wild exaggeration is an appropriate description. I think I saw Augusta Rodin driving one, with Monets and Rembrandts in the rear.    
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2010 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Unbelievable!!!

Semi Trucks barreling through our Art District at 60 M.P.H. plus!!!

Imagine how many of our "artists" could have been smashed like bugs!!!

We have an art district ??  Shocked

Whats the speed limit in an art district ?

Do they have signs posted ?
butlerlee55 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butlerlee55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 2:02pm
I do believe that ya all are being very unfair to Adriane Scherrer.  She fights everyday to make things right for Middletown. 
Adriane works very hard along with others to bring things like The Broad Street Bash and Troop Aid to Middletown to be able to bring people from out of town to see what our city can do. We have a good town .  I was born here and my family helped to build this town and I am proud of it and  of Ms Scherrer for all her hard work.  I have seen large trucks going way to fast on central ave at Main.  again could those vibrations caused the 5th 3rd sign to fall.??   
Frances
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2010 at 3:05pm
Frances  - Just guessing here but the sign probably fell due to it's age & structure, mounting brackets being old and worn,old bolts etc. I seriously doubt trucks had any part to play. Now an earthquake would be a different story.

As for your sentence that we have a good town I can't imagine why you would think that. Unless you refer to the people, then yeah I would agree we have some fine people in this town. But if you mean the way it's run by city hall then no, it's by no means a fine town.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2010 at 11:18am
I think the lesson should be - Pick your battles.  We have bigger problems in Middletown then trucks going down Central Ave.  I know Ms. Sherrer tries her best to help Middletown, however we are not a high class area.  I think with her statement she unintentionally offended alot of Middletonians.  Alot of individuals feel that those making decisions and their friends want to have a high class town.  That is kind of hard to achieve when you have a high unemployment rate, and no future of business coming to this town.  Bring in the business - get people employed, that should be the number one focus. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2010 at 12:02pm
You're right Bobbie, business and jobs SHOULD be the priority. Unfortunately, the city leaders don't agree with you. It would appear that their priorities are centered around fed revenue for Section 8, knocking down everything in sight to create "green space" for "future development", driving business OUT of town, rather then attracting them and ignoring the streets and infrastructure, that is, until the streets get to the gravel sub-base and the infrastructure collaspses, perhaps creating a fatality. If they wished for a "high class town" they are going in the opposite direction to get their wish.
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 1:37am
I thought the 60 miles per hour was hilarious. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic