Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This from the Journal Editorial Page today....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This from the Journal Editorial Page today....
    Posted: Apr 04 2010 at 12:44pm
I have a question for someone at MCSD.  After reading this letter how do you teach algebra without textbooks?  Is it true they don't have books for Algebra as stated?

‘We hear the 
same promises’

12:23 PM Friday, April 2, 2010

Once again the sounds of school levies hitting the ballot are among us. Soon we will be bombarded with the usual wording to entice us to vote for them: “For the children,” “invest in our future,” etc. We have already received some notices in the mail with some keys phrases — “continuous improvement” and “revitalization of Middletown.”

I remember a couple of years ago a gentleman wrote in and told the citizens of Middletown that they were stupid for voting down the levy, and gave us a class on economics. In his basic economic course, when the levy passes, Middletown will thrive as a city and the schools will somehow jump to the “excellent” rating. He even offered to pass out basic economic books to every citizen.

Well, the levy did pass, but the school system has remained at the lowest ranking in the area, and the only revitalization I see are the ridiculous intersections by the Towne Mall.

I did look through my basic economics book, and it told me that school levies are the poorest investment someone can make. Answer this question: How many people actually live and work in the same district they graduated from? Less than 9 percent of the graduates. So the money I invest will ultimately go to another school district.

Remember the family that was upset because band would be canceled and the child needed that for college? Will he graduate from college and come back to work in Middletown and contribute to other children’s education? There is 91 percent chance he won’t.

We hear the same promises every time a levy comes upon us: Give us the money and we will do better. We should make them do better, and we will give them the money. My son is taking algebra in Middletown City Schools. You know, the students do not even have textbooks. We have new schools and millions to run them, but the basic needs are not being met. We do have some of the best teachers in the area, but that alone hasn’t reversed the academic trend and neither has throwing money at it.

Dan Kramer

Middletown

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2010 at 7:57pm
Hmmmmmm....... I guess the no textbooks for algebra is true?
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2010 at 5:21pm

Middletown City Schools has Algebra textbooks for all Algebra classrooms.  Teachers use other materials and sources for instruction as well.

All textbooks periodically need to be replaced.  The district has a schedule that rotates buying new textbooks for different subjects and grades in different years.  This is just one of the purposes for which operating funds are used.  If the levy does not pass, it is unlikely that the district will be able to buy any new textbooks for any subjects.

Marcia Andrew
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2010 at 6:36am
Ms. Andrew- What is the criteria for book replacement? Is it the condition of the book, the outdated content of the book, state mandate that the books be replaced in a certain time frame, etc? Are the parents charged the cost for a new book if their child destroys/loses the book they were issued? How long does the school district keep the books in the system and how much money is needed for book purchases each school year? Is this allocated money usually spent or is there some residual?

Thank you for your reply.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2010 at 10:16am
Thanks for your answer. For a second there, I thought it was true.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic