FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Council Agenda Items

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Council Agenda Items
    Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 11:19am

7. Resolution No. R2010-08, a resolution declaring the necessity of repairing certain sidewalks, curbs, gutters and driveway aprons in the City of Middletown, requiring that abutting property owners repair the same, and declaring an emergency.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 12:11pm
"Declaring an emergency" for sidewalks, curbs, gutters, driveway aprons? Do these repairs require emergency legislation? Why, do we have some VIP's coming to town? What's the rush? Why is EVERYTHING an emergency? How 'bout cha Leslie! Mr. Laubach, Mr. Smith, Ms. Scott-Jones, could you explain this?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 12:24pm
Concerning the Master Plan Steering Committee- are the folks being appointed representative of all the disciplines (public service/private business/private citizens. etc.) in town and represent all areas of town to allow input from all areas as to this plan? Or, are these folks pre-planned, pre-contrived members of some of the friends of the city? Looks like some familiar names that appear quite often when selections are made. The city must not trust anyone outside the parameters set forth as to selection.

Looks like Mr. Michel is "moving up to the east side"! Are there others that are "city-owned"?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 12:43pm
Regarding the sidewalks, curbs, etc.  There are some streets that have already been marked (spray painted) showing where repairs will need to be.  Maybe that is why there is an emergency - they have already marked the areas to be fixed.  But really isn't it ironic they want the curbs and sidewalks fixed - yet our roads look horrible.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Concerning the Master Plan Steering Committee- are the folks being appointed representative of all the disciplines (public service/private business/private citizens. etc.) in town and represent all areas of town to allow input from all areas as to this plan? Or, are these folks pre-planned, pre-contrived members of some of the friends of the city? Looks like some familiar names that appear quite often when selections are made. The city must not trust anyone outside the parameters set forth as to selection.

Looks like Mr. Michel is "moving up to the east side"! Are there others that are "city-owned"?
Maybe spiderjohn can answer that.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 3:59pm
Looks to be the usual suspects for the most part on the Master Plan Steering Committee.  No wonder changes are slow coming in this town.

Emergencey on the Gutter, Sidewalks etc. was explained at the last meeting I believe.  Basically a timing issue to get work done on a schedule, don't see much wrong with that as the residents foot the bill for those repairs unfortunately.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 5:00pm
hey wasteful--I resemble that remark!
yep swohio, sj's mentor made the cut.
So the musa forum has a voice.
I will try to keep you as informed as possible, and throw the issues your way for your thoughts(as if I don't know them already).

looks predictably slanted in the dark siders' favor, though a good number of moderate open minds(including a few that surprisingly MIGHT swing over on a few issues).

We shall make the best of it, and hopefully make the right choices, though recently admin/planning/ed has conveniently tossed the master plan out the window as to their actions.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2010 at 10:33pm
LOL...emergency legislation for property owners to fix sidewalks and aprons..I had 3 flat tires related to potholes last year and the City is responsible and only patches the holes but "EMERGENCY LEGISLATION" for sidewalks and aprons? 
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 1:52am
What are the criteria that sidewalks and apron be repaired? Are they looking for consistency, such as the flat aprons? Or only repair any damage? Is this City wide or just certain areas? Why not throw in some mandatory landscaping too? ;) 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 8:11am

Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

Regarding the sidewalks, curbs, etc.  There are some streets that have already been marked (spray painted) showing where repairs will need to be.  Maybe that is why there is an emergency - they have already marked the areas to be fixed.  But really isn't it ironic they want the curbs and sidewalks fixed - yet our roads look horrible.

Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

LOL...emergency legislation for property owners to fix sidewalks and aprons..I had 3 flat tires related to potholes last year and the City is responsible and only patches the holes but "EMERGENCY LEGISLATION" for sidewalks and aprons? 

Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

What are the criteria that sidewalks and apron be repaired? Are they looking for consistency, such as the flat aprons? Or only repair any damage? Is this City wide or just certain areas? Why not throw in some mandatory landscaping too? ;) 

Did the two of you bother to read the legislation?  If you had, you would know that these improvements are in conjunction with street paving and resurfacing.  The city is just assessing property owners for the work to sidewalks and aprons. 

In addition to the University and Sutphin projects (Thanks, Obama!), the city is spending a couple million dollars on local and residential streets in 2010.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 10:41am

disappointed by the lack of active business owners from this master plan list.

Council continues to ignore this very important segment of our community that actually puts their $$ on the line and employs locals. Why aren't the man that owns Stefano's/surrounding properties and the owner of Java Johnny's on this list? They are young and aggressive + care very much about the community where they were born, continue to live, and have invested big time while making significant improvements to their local properties(also employing locals). Also they operate in the CENTER of the town, which has been ignored by virtually eveyone in Council/Admin.

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:15am
SW

I did read it.  I stand by what I said.  They are asking the individuals to have there sidewalks and aprons fixed on the roads they are working on.  Holly is not a major road - why does it need to be fixed - as well as the sidewalks and aprons.  Should they not be focusing on roads and sidewalks on major roadways? 
Repair work is costly for some individuals - if they are having issues with money, where will they come up with the funds to fix this.  I know they can have it put on their property taxes - but then they will be paying it over years  and it cause their mortgage payment to increase.   Also brings in the fact that if they go to sell the house - it is harder because of the taxes. 

I feel they are asking individuals to spend money, when a lot of people do not have it. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:37am
As crazy as it is Bobbie that is Ohio and Middletown Law.  I persoanlly have never lived in a state that required residential landowners to repair Public Sidewalks and street gutters and curbs but they do in Ohio.  Another crazy Ohio law.

You can either hire your own private company to do the repairs or the city will do the repairs send you a bill and you can pay it in full or they will put it on your tax bill and you make payments over 5 years.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:43am
I know it is the law - but timing is not the best for this project.  I also know you can not hire just anyone for this work - they have to be approved and bonded to do this work.  So there is no cheap way for this to be done. 

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 4:50pm
I haven't read it nor do I intend to.  Too many other things to worry about.  When I was walking on Holly the guys spray painting said they were with Duke preparing for some work.  Said nothing about being with the City.  Didn't see any City trucks. 
I'm really surprised it took this long.  Monroe did this a couple of years ago. 
Thought the Obama money was rejected?!?  Don't must cities run on a 5/10 year plan and should have had plans to repave roads even before this money became available??
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2010 at 11:43pm
Not only are they mostly all the "usual suspects" on the Master Plan list (except, of course, for our very own SJ) but there also seems to be at least a tinge of nepotism!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 7:39am
I pretty much like the variety of participants.
MUSA has a voice at the table.
Hopefully everyone here will stay informed, and any reasonable ?s put forth here will be raised.

Maybe a few unreasonable ?s if they fit the discussed situation or topic.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 8:16am
Sam Ashworth, Doug Bean, Torri Colts, Steve Dillman, Dane Donham, Leslie Ford, Carl Gaston, Michael Kessenich, Jeff Michel, Saundra Pearce, Noah Powers, Michael Saunders, Mike Scorti, Bob Stacy

Come on Spider, is there a committee that Ashworth, Bean, Scorti, Ford, Powers, Michel aren't on.  I mean come on their are more than these same 6 people for every committee the city comes up with.   Then we have this Dillman Dude......what the hell.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 9:23am
There should be a limit on how many committees that one should be on.  Not to mention it should diversified between job, area you live in and age. 
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 9:27am
By the way Duke would not be spray painting sidewalks, curbs and aprons.  Besides Duke finished their work on Holly years ago when they replaced the gas lines.  I am afraid someone may have told you wrong so they did not cause problems.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 9:37am
Somhow, it just doesn't seem right to have a sitting Commom Pleas Court judge on this committee.
Same for "special friends" of top level city officials.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 9:56am
Bobbie, do we really want to limit volunteers in this town?  Most people claim we don't have enough of them as is.  And no way they set up requirements on age, area, etc.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 11:00am
Isn't that the same Court that magically created an emergency position for Schiavone? That nobody was even knew about so they could apply/to be considered? 

As far as the sidewalks, just what I was told.  Also said they would be coming around to cut some branches, which is what they did.  I wonder why only they aprons/curbs etc on Holly and not the rest of the neighborhood.  Seems silly just to do one street and have all the rest all jacked up, especially with some of those sidewalks in that area.  Oh wait, City of Middletown is making decisions, par for the course.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 11:29am
Bill--"They Claim" being key words...It does seem that the same people are on every committee.  The ones that will not disagree with "The Master Plan" or butt heads with "the chosen few". 
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 11:36am

Bill - I do feel it needs to be diversified.  This town is going no where with what they have currently.  New ideas, new faces and different backgrounds can not hurt.  When you get a group of people together diligently working for a purpose - they can feed off each other and bring many ideas to the table. 

Maybe you really don't know - but there was a request that to be placed on any committee an application is required.  It will then be decided who is to sit on the committee.  This happened back when the city manager was working really hard to dismantle one group that did not see eye to eye with her.  She at that time hand picked a committee that would see eye to eye with her.  There are more volunteers out there then what you think - but some will not welcomed. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic