FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Budget questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Budget questions
    Posted: May 22 2010 at 12:46pm
I'm not being a smartass, but trying to learn from those that know.

When Council makes the budget, does each department/section, i.e. streets, safety, parks, etc, have minimum amounts of money that they must be budgeted with or when planning can Council delegate all or most of those monies to a different department.  If emeregencies or projects arise, then the money can be given back.  I'm not sure if this is the case, but it seems like this is a trick to say funding is low in public safety and the general fund. 
I'll be the first to say I could be wrong there, but it seems this happens and not in a way that is in the best interest of the Citizens.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2010 at 1:44pm
Funding is low and going lower because Middletown is losing jobs, population is decreasing, property values are declining and tax revenues from all sources are in decline.  Now you add this to wages and benefits that are continually rising in a depressed economy and you have a prescription for disaster.
Then you add in the fact that the city doesn't want to make any cuts until their backs are up against the wall, just makes for a very bad situation. 

Personally I voted for the School Levy and that will be the last Levy of any kind I vote for until I see this city get its spending under control and that includes Public Safety.  Public Safety is like a run away horse in many cities Middletown included.  3% raises in this economy are way out of line for anyone under the current conditions.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 9:05am
I don't believe Council sets the budget.  That is a function of the City Manager I believe.  The Council basically blesses the budget, if you know what I mean. I don't think they have minimums for the budget, they look at past budgets and take into account projected revenues for the coming year(s) and try to project a budget for each Dept.  Public Safety eating up pretty much about 70% of the General Fund.

Wasteful is right on in his post as far as revenues, etc. in serious decline.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 1:37pm
Well someone is going to have to make up for the loss in revenue, which spells L-E-V-Y.

I agree with wasteful, no more until we see some serious action coming out of the "hall of injustice". One issue that should be corrected is allowing city employees to live else where, i.e. Mason, Monroe,Lebanon etc. When city employees live out of town they have no desire or concern for the city they work in. Why should they if they are guaranteed union wages & pay they have no interest.

Like wasteful mentioned the school levy, I voted against it as a study was done to see where levy money was going when it was suppose to support the schools, they found out that 70-80% of ALL levy monies go to the union not the schools. Is this exaggerated ? I don't know for sure.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 3:31pm
I'm torn about requiring City employees to live here, especially with the current state of our school system. I know we are very likely to move once I graduate.  And the major driving force is we don't want to start our children in this district.  The City already generates money from the City employees from their income taxes and there is no guarantee that they would buy vs. rent here anyway. 
I wonder how much of the unions causes the work effort to be lower (part of their contract). 
Ashkicker may know better than any of us if the City has considered moving fire stations to better serve the City and help bring down budget on public safety.  Then again that would require an initial investment
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 7:04pm
The schools system as it currently is, is a major drawback to living in Middletown if you have children.  Regardless of what some say on here it is the Number 1 factor for families with children.  Middletown will never recover until they get the school system on a more even keel with other districts in the area.  That means getting poverty under control, getting Section 8 under control and down to a manageable level.  All things the city drags it's feet on and gives you that deer in the headlights stare when you mention it.  As long as City leaders feel 20-25%+ Poverty and Section 8 at a level not seen by any other city in the state on a per capita basis is the Norm Middletown will suffer.

I don't think the City is considering moving any Fire Stations, but I know that closing the one at Breiel and Central has been mentioned.  I would be curious to see the Run figures on the Engine out by Meijers as it sure spends a lot of time running West on Grand and 122 and Manchester Rd. just about everyday.

From the looks of the Meijers Station and the Breiel and Central Station the City gave zero consideration to future growth to the need for Fire Fighting in Middletown.  Both of those Stations are to small and look as if a Stiff wind would blow them over.  I would say both are inadequate at this time for the need.  But with declining revenues and population what do you do?

My son who is 14 has already told me he is outta here once he goes to college as Middletown offers nothing for his generation.  Not even as a Bedroom Community.  Sad, the city is running off it's future citizens and leaders all that will remain are the dropouts.  Funny how they apparently can't see that.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 4:37am

Do you believe those working for the City really work 40 hours a week?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 7:09am
Yes Vivian, they work every bit of a 40 hour workweek. Ms. Gilleland, on behalf of the taxpayer, sees to it that they do.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 10:27am
Do you guys realize that if it was not for the mill that they would come in here and push dirt over top of us & stick up a sign that might say " Former site of historical Middeltown". But anyway..........

Talking about the schools, how pathetic is it that 32 students won't graduate this year ? I think maybe 3 of those 32 will be allowed to do the "walk" but won't get a diploma.

What does this say about our schools ? Ermm
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 10:40am
Not just the schools..but the parents as well.  The article said that there was criteria that could be met.  Those not graduating had poor attendance, did not attend the help sessions GPA was low.  Why are the parents not being held accountable as well???
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 11:26pm

Hi! Thanks for all of your very useful informations.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic