Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unspecified Sutphin Street Project Problems??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:46am
Mr. Dillman -

High Speed Rail?? is me (Nelson Self).  I have no clue who Dead Man Walkin' might be.  If you check with Randy he can probably confirm this.

I deeply regret your comments about me.  If it makes you feel better to speak about my issues, so be it.  At least I continue to seek professional help and am not ashamed to say so.  Better get your facts right before you blind side someone else.

Before praising Mr. Adkins further, it might be interesting if he informed us citizens how the $2.144 Million in HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round One funds have/are really being spent.  In my heart I know that I've provided a unique insight into some of the things that happened at City Hall.  If the information I've shared is not useful , I feel truly sad for the honest, tax-paying citizens of Middletown.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 9:34am
Sorrr if I confused the two screen names, Mr.Self.
I will re-direct my approach accordingly.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 7:43pm

So much to be addressed!!!

First, to Mr. Walkin’:

To paraphrase Brutus in Shakespeare’s “Julius Caesar”: I am not sure If I come to praise you or to bury you.

While I do agree with some of what you say, I neither need you to speak for me, nor to defend me, and I especially do not need you to act as my conscience. I appreciate your confidence in me, and assure you that I have answered with the best that is in me and will continue to try to do so. I will add that one’s head does get quite painful from constant beating against the same wall. If you were aware of all the circumstances, I feel sure that you would understand the need to take an occasional break. Out of compassion for the situation for the circumstances I perceive your chosen username to imply, I will say no more.

Now, on to Spiderjohn, who I perceive as having chosen to make some of this personal!!!

Sir, I took no side, and in fact made no comment whatsoever on the Sutphin Street matter until my post of 01 Jul 2010 at 6:47pm.

That post was completely farcical, and I clearly (at least I thought it was “clear”) pointed out my intent of humor by preceding my “translation” with the comment:

“Hey!!! As most of you might know by now, I can speak all of those languages (Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious)!!! Maybe I can translate for y'all!!!

I'll give it a shot!!!”

I apologize for thinking that people like you would NOT realize that “Pompus, Dignified, and Obnoxious” were NOT three actual foreign languages that required translation into a local dialect of English. As you might say: “My bad!”

Now, if you felt that my attempt at humor fell short and you wanted to give me a “groan” or some similar pan, of course I would not have minded, and would probably have joked about your taste in humor in return. But no, YOU replied thusly:

Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I can't decide which version was the most condescending.

Actually neither said much of anything.

Well, I am always happy to reply condescendingly WHEN SOMEONE DESERVES IT, so I did in my reply to THAT!!!

“If you can't decide which version was "the most condescending" and you find that "neither said much of anything" then my tongue-in-cheek translation must have been VERY accurate!!!

Thank you for the compliment!!”

Apparently, that wasn’t condescending enough, for you didn’t seem to “get it”. You replied at 02 Jul 2010 at 7:56am thusly:

No one is claiming corruption or evil, though incompetance, unnecessary work stoppage, affected residence/business hardship and secrecy could be applicable.

Same with the assumption that using a real proper name other than a screen name certifies some higher degree of honesty, accuracy or righteousness.

I have no experience whatsover with road/curbing construction, and respect the posts here of those with that backround. Your info minus the personality part is very helpful.

I have operated a business on Sutphin and approximate to the area for over 50 years, and lived in that area also.Sutphin is a vital connecting roadway, much more-travelled than many realize. There had been no deep roadwork in that area for as long as I can remember(I travel it multiple times every day). IMO the construction experts/planners should have probably anticipated a worst case scenerio as a realistic/likely possibility, and had a back-up plan accordingly.

The discovery and subsequent extra funding could have been planned secondarily IF those in charge and approving had taken proper time to thoroughly outline the project. To stop the work, pull all workers and equipment off the job then go through the theatrics and spinning we witnessed would not have happened. Plan B could have been implemented to the surprise of no one. The extra funding and work(already anticipated as worst case) could have gone on un-interrupted. To shut these businesses and impact the hundreds of residents for an extra 3-week minimum(over 2 weeks already) is a serious hardship.

Once again, I blame the rush and incomplete planning on un-necessary emergency legislation and an intentional lack of provided information to make an educated and proper decision.

Dog in this fight? We ALL have a stake in this project to a varying degree. It is now an on-going mess with nothing happening on dry, pleasant weather working conditions.

Bottom line--none of the posturing and egotism displayed here or by Council/Admin has put one worker back on the project yet. Does anyone really expect anything to happen before next Tuesday at the earliest?

Now, I don’t know exactly what in my short statements prompted this rambling, incoherent response, and I thought about replying, but decided to spare you further embarrassment. After all, you did state that you “ have no experience whatsover with road/curbing construction” and then went on to prove it with some of your further ramblings.

I went on to have a wonderful evening with my wife and some friends, and let the subject drop.

You, however, decided to make it personal AGAIN it with YOUR response to Mr. Walkin:

Whatever, Dead Man.

Sure--I care mostly about my situation.

Just like I cared about my situation when Yankee was shut down over the fatal sewer situation.

I believe that I have mentioned the University/Shafor situation repreatedly here and in my conversations with engineering,admin and Council. Same with the other University water mane break and the I75/122 boondoggle.

BTW--no work has been done on Supthin since the meeting last Tuesday despite the promises. Hopefully it will resume today.

So--I concern myself with screwed up messes that effect me.

Big surprise--isn't that what I should be doing?

As for expecting "everyone to take my side", I pretty much play my own game here. Decide for yourself.

As for Presta beingconsulted on the road projects--are you serious?

You have a strange way of thinking--trying to manipulate others to speak up for what you see as important also. As always, if you have issues, you had better deal with them yourself. Don't you post as "High Speed Rail" also? Gets confusing when the same person posts on a topic using multiple screen names. Yer method--though a clarification would help.

Plus--I appreciate what Mr.Adkins has concluded, and how Council immediately bought inro his direction without much serious discussion. I know that you don't care for Mr.Adkins, but that is another of your issues.

Hey--great to have interesting points of view here.

Room for one more?

Spiderjohn, I don’t know how much you think you know about me, and I don’t know from whom you get your information or how much they think they know about me, but here’s a clue or two or a few:

If they think I’m inexperienced on “HUGE” (and I use "HUGE" sarcastically) jobs like the ones the city gets involved in here in Middletown, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If they think that I know nothing about the theory and practice of the design and placing of concrete slabs and structures, or about paving in general then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If they think that I have just been some low-level peon on a few little construction projects here and there, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

If YOU think that you have discussed my qualifications with ANY other Middletown resident who has negotiated a project agreement with the General Presidents’ Committee of the AFL-CIO Building and Trades Department, then here’s your sign à STUPID!

Now, I try to be a humble man, and the forgoing may sound brazen. For that I apologize to everyone else!!! However, the record is the record, and it does get a little tiresome constantly hearing the record distorted by those who are ignorant of the facts.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2010 at 8:39pm
Mike--my last comment related to the city actually bringing you in for an opinion on anything.
Respectfully--we know that won't be happening, even when you have the expertise(and I know you to be a very knowledgeable person in many areas).  

Bottom line--no work has been done on Sutphin for at least two weeks now, despite promises from en\gineering and Council. That is my point--all about un-necessary delays, and nothing about construction technique. I know this street--I have worked and lived on or around it for over 50 years. Do you REALLY expect this project to finished by the start of the school year and without further expense?

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2010 at 6:18pm
Just watched the new Supthin St.business owner make a polite, compassioned plea for an accurate update on the construction project, while expressing his dismay at the extended shutdown of work and the daily promises made at last week's extra Council session.

If Councilmembers and the city manager honestly don't know the facts behind the work stoppage
delay, then they probably should simply sit and remain silent. Or try something different by telling the truth.

jmo

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2010 at 2:37am
I don't own a business in this town or any other for that matter.  But as SpiderJohn said earlier, we have some sort of stake in this project and every other project that Council and the administration takes on.  Whether we are homeowners, renters, buisness owners, employees or parents we have a stake.  We need to drive on these roads to get to and from work, take our children to and from school or other activities. We use these roads to get to and from the grocery stores or other errands.  Our loved ones live on these streets and our ability to visit them or them visiting us is affected. 
Whenever council spends money on a project means another project does without.  Maybe the neglected project is one we are passionate about,.  Either way, we all have a stake and should care.
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:06am

It seems you’ve yet to understand,

the lack of clock when death’s at hand.

Whether late night mine or early yours,

what makes the difference of our hours?

What some call “rant,” others see as prose,

what some smell sweet, fouls others’ nose.

The purpose in twilight of life,

‘tis not for fame nor to cause strife.

So judge not the meter, nor the rhyme,

but save the city, while still there’s time!

Attack the blackguards, not the good,

oh mighty Spider, THAT you should.

Or suffer ye as now I must,

and watch as our town turns to dust,

while concrete crumbles and buildings rust,

while funds are stolen and leaders lie…

and YOU can do no more than die!

So stay the course, if you believe.

Sway back and forth, instead of lead.

Take no stand at any cost!

DAMN US! We wait ’til all is lost!

We talk and talk while good men leave.

When I am gone none be bereaved.

Nor at your time will any grieve.

Too late for me, I cannot act,

December’s here, and that’s a fact.

Do you have time to switch the track?

I cannot say, don’t know your fate,

I can’t predict your reaper’s date,

I beg you, sir, please do not wait.

With one last fervent clarion call,

I beg you, urge you, one and all,

this one last late night rant to state:

Please do not meet with my same fate,

When heading for that Pearly Gate.

Do not face Him while you’re a’crawl,

Approach Him standing proud and tall,

Tell Him that you gave your all.

Rally the troops ‘fore town’s death knell,

let not them fall ‘neath evil’s spell.

Forsake that duty and I foretell:

We’ll meet next at the gates of hell.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 9:46am
OK Dead Man--interesting.
Why me?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 10:33am
Spider, I think the Deadman is suggesting you lead us in saving the town from the bad people, Pied Piper style, before it's too late.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 11:08am
Wow Vet--pretty tall mission there.
If Dead Man is implying that I am a "good person" then much appreciated,however as most know, I am not that "good". 
I am better as a loner than as a leader, and have never claimed to be any type of role model.

Still-someone is going to have to stand up to the dark side.
We need unification instead of division.

jmo
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 11:18am
Just like with a New Year's Resolution, the fixative, IMO, is "out with the old and in with the new". We have a start with Laubach instead of Marconi, Smith instead of what's her name-?, and, hopefully, the addition of Ms. Scott-Jones, who, most of the time, gives us the impression that she is on the right track in the correct direction. JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:17pm
The peanut sat on the railroad track,
   It's heart was all a-flutter.
Then along came the Triple C,
   TOOT!!! TOOT!!! ... Peanut butter!!!
 LOL LOL LOL Cool Star
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 6:28pm
As you can see from my previous post, I can speak "Poetic" (as well as "Pompous", "Dignified", and "Obnoxious" LOL ).
I could try to take a shot at translating into the colloquial again, but I don't want to catch h*ll. Wink LOL LOL

Besides, It's Friday night, and that's always reserved for my wife  Heart !!!
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 2:52am
No visits to any of the affected businesses in any of these areas, just like during the extended Yankee Rd.shutdown after the disaster caused by Air Products and AK(oddly both responsible parties were allowed access top the closed road, as were SCHOOL BUSES).  No letters, no phonecalls, no ED updates or newspaper releases clarifying anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic