FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Administrator of CMS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Administrator of CMS
    Posted: Jul 07 2010 at 3:59pm

Dr. Berwick to be administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 10:20am

Some good points.  If it were up to the "Wild West" conservatives in this country we wouldn't have any reform at all, the rich would get the care, scr*w everyone else, and our average life expectancy would resemble Bangladesh. 

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

Some good points.  If it were up to the "Wild West" conservatives in this country we wouldn't have any reform at all, the rich would get the care, scr*w everyone else, and our average life expectancy would resemble Bangladesh. 

If you think obamacare will be good for this Country maybe you should read it all 2000+ pages and see what a hot mess it will be.The liberals in Washington must be idiots if they think that thier spending (borrowing) is going to fix our problems.
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 12:04pm
Mr. Barille -

Please provide some background information on the rationale for greatly expanding HUD Housing Choice Vouchers in Middletown during your tenure as Planning Director.  This is a much discussed topic so, your commentary will be greatly appreciated.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 1:17pm
Mr. Self,
After decades of systemic, racial, and cultural inequities in our society, the "Great Society" programs of LBJ ushered in an era where we finally began to address some of the unfairness.  Part of this response was to increase the choices and affordability of housing options for the poor in our community.  I don't see how the growth of the Section 8 program is necessarily the reason for Middletown's current situation.  The tenants cannot be blamed for mistakes by previous councils, the flight of businesses in town, and the natural decay of an aging industrial city.  But every group with pitchforks needs a whipping boy, so the Section 8 program has become just that.  Would a 50% reduction in the program have kept AK here?  Would it have made the thousands of aging houses in town any more updated or inhabited by responsible home purchasers?  I don't think so. 

The Bible teaches us to love thy neighbor.  Government and its programs, via your taxes, are a means to help our neighbors.  Judge not lest ye be judged. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 1:30pm
I wonder if the influx of HCV rental units from 2000 to 2005 had a direct, measurable negative impact on the precipitous decline of owner-occupied homes in Ward 2 and other older segments of Ward 1 ??
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 1:36pm
The Bible does teach us to love they neighbor.  But I do not think that Govt programs are a means to what the Bible was saying.  There is a big difference in helping your neighbor and supporting your neighbor.  I believe that we should help those in need.  But sometimes the best help you can give someone is by not doing anything for them and letting them stand on their own two feet. 

There is no way of knowing if something different would have stopped AK - but we all know that if we did not have the vouchers that we do - our house values would not have dropped like they did.  Proof of that is looking around Butler County, and you would see what area have been hit the hardest. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 2:25pm
Mr. Self,

I am not alone in wondering what traits you exhibited at work for the COM that resulted in a "direct, measurable negative impact on the precipitous decline" of your career? 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 2:27pm
City takes its second chance at big time
Steel town works at growth, diversity
BY JANICE MORSE
The Cincinnati Enquirer

MIDDLETOWN -- The city seems to be enduring a midlife crisis.

Like a person seeking to regain the vigor of youth, Middletown is grabbing hold of hundreds of "happening" acres -- boosting its ego and its image, while trying to put its life history into perspective. "Middletown is getting a second chance at life -- and that's something a lot of cities never get," said George Crout, a historian and author who has lived nearly all of his 81 years in the city.

Middletown has been known as a steel town for more than half of its 161 years of cityhood.

The American Rolling Mill Co. was founded here in 1900. Later known as Armco Inc. and now as AK Steel Corp., the company remains the city's largest employer.

Although the steel industry continues to play a vital role, Middletown is changing into something more, says Neal Barille, the city's director of development.

"We are beginning to diversify and play a role in the larger economy," Mr. Barille said. "Cities are constantly going through transitions. That's what cities do."

Tired of watching its retail businesses abandon downtown and move eastward, Middletown began a series of long, bitter battles for land near Interstate 75 and Ohio 122 -- and triumphed.

Between 1990 and 1997, this Butler County city annexed more than five additional square miles -- some of it in neighboring Warren County -- and has enjoyed the fruits of that land's explosive growth.

During that period, the city's commercial real estate values increased more than 60 percent; income tax revenues climbed 40 percent; the unemployment rate dropped nearly 4 percentage points, to about 5 percent; its population grew 15 percent, now exceeding 54,000; and its number of housing units grew nearly 18 percent.

Nevertheless, in Mr. Crout's view, city leaders and others are foolishly fixated on reviving the downtown area, when they ought to be riding the I-75 wave of development for all it's worth.

"There's no urgent need to do anything about the downtown right now. Time will take care of that," he said. "But there is an urgent need to do something about the congestion around the East End (I-75 - Ohio 122 area) -- and maybe add another entrance onto the interstate." Mr. Barille says, however, that both areas demand attention.

"We're looking at both the downtown and the I-75 areas as opportunities for development in this community -- and to ignore one of them would be to settle for half a loaf," he said.

Two extremes

Separated BY about five miles, the downtown and I-75 areas differ in almost every significant way imaginable.

The I-75 artery pulsates with motorists; a sea of familiar fast-food signs beckons hungry travelers to stop. Less-harried folks linger at trendy, casual chain restaurants such as Damon's, the Olive Garden or Applebee's Neighborhood Grill and Bar. Shoppers head for Towne Mall and its major department stores: Sears, McAlpin's and Elder-Beerman.

But there's nothing distinctively "Middletown" about that area; it could easily pass for one of any number of interstate exits. Meanwhile, downtown boasts some beautiful, old architecture -- especially among its churches and in the nine-block-long South Main Street historic district. The district showcases nearly a dozen different architectural styles, dating from the 1820s to the 1920s.

The area, Mr. Crout says, was home to millionaires and "was once one of the richest streets in Ohio." Many of its residences have been lovingly restored, with the help of a group called PRISM -- Preservation, Restoration, Improvement of South Main -- which has been at work since the mid-1970s. "To many visitors, these areas represent the community's image more than shopping centers or strip malls," the latest PRISM newsletter says.

There's also the stately Manchester Inn, 1027 Manchester Ave., alongside the American-flag-lined City Centre Plaza. The plaza's other neighbors are city government offices and Arts in Middletown, which officials tout as one of the region's most vibrant incubators of the arts.

Other pluses: the public library; the 100-acre Smith Park; the municipal airport, whose runway is the region's third-longest (behind those in Cincinnati and Dayton); and the Whistle Stop Shop, a railway station that's now a gift shop, at Central Avenue and University Boulevard.

But there's a down side of downtown.

City's dark side

For starters, it's sprinkled with defunct factories and empty storefronts.

And Central Avenue, although adorned with turn-of-the-century-style lampposts, offers a less-than-ideal setting for its charming antiques shops.

They're strangely juxtaposed with enterprises like a tattoo and piercing parlor, auto parts stores and taverns.

Eateries are few and far between, and there are no major department stores; one of the most visible businesses is Richie's Pawn Central, with its giant yellow letters against a forest-green background. Richie's sits next to City Centre Mall -- and anyone who steps inside the enclosed mall can easily see why it has struggled since it was built in 1973. Its interior is dark, cavelike and, in a word, uninviting. A number of the mall's spaces are vacant. Swallen's department store is boarded-up with plywood.

But there is one big bright spot: a majestic fountain spouts high in the rotunda, toward a skylight that provides a dramatic lighting effect on sunny days.

There's been talk of removing the roof from the City Centre, in hopes of making the shops more accessible and attractive. But avid mall-walkers hate that idea.

Elise Miller, 43, who works at the nearBY YMCA, begrudgingly concedes, "The downtown just doesn't have much to bring people down here anymore. It would be nice to see the downtown come back, but I don't think it will happen."

Whoa, says Mr. Barille, the development director. Don't write downtown's obituary just yet. "We've recently seen a strengthening of the downtown real estate market," he said.

Private investments in downtown have totaled $25 million in the past five years, Mr. Barille said, adding that the downtown area appeals to certain types of businesses that don't depend on high visibility for success, such as professional offices.

"And they can get very, very attractive space that's built in a way they don't construct any more -- at very, very reasonable prices," Mr. Barille said.

Further, developers are working on converting vacant business spaces to second-story loft apartments, he said, and numerous revitalization and improvement projects are planned.

Growth in the north

Much of the city's residential growth is now occurring along Breiel Boulevard's northern section.

There, spacious homes are situated amid rolling hills, gracefully curved streets and towering shade trees. It all combines to offer a secluded atmosphere that's quickly accessible to other parts of town.

Many of the newer sections are attracting professionals who work in Cincinnati or Dayton but choose to live in Middletown, which is almost equidistant between those cities, Mr. Crout, the historian, noted.

While older Middletown houses aren't as large or as pricey as the newest ones being built, they're still in beautiful residential neighborhoods, with only a smattering of dwellings in ill repair, Mr. Crout said. "Because of that, it's been called "the city with no slums,' " he said.

"I think Middletown's been greatly underrated in this region," he said.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 3:18pm
Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance -- From mid- 2007 until the end of 2008 almost 70 first-time buyers were helped in purchasing homes.  Many of these were vacant, foreclosed dwellings.  Prior to my arrival five or six first-time home buyers were assisted.

Dollar Homes Program -- After my arrival we properly addressed this costly boondoggle.  Four homes were sold and seven others re-acquired from a local non-profit housing organization.  Mr. Adkins demolished six of these after neglecting to rehab same for re-sale.  This is an example where quite alot of HUD funding was foolishly wasted.

Citizens Participation -- I resurrected a mostly dormant HUD-required committee.  It was comprised of target areaa residents, local real estate professionals, local mortgage bankers, etc.  Because they were properly informed of several interesting internal problems and made efforts to reform bad public policy, they were abolished by Judy G. and Ginger Smith in late 2008.

Home Buyer Education Classes -- In the latter part of 2007 monthly Home Buyer Education Classes were held at One Donham Plaza.  More than 300 prospective first-time buyers attended.

Middletown Home Ownership Partnership -- In the latter part of 2007 a major outreach effort was carried out to meaningfully involved local housing industry professionals.  For the first time there was a close working relationship between target area residents, the Middeltown Board of REALTORS, mortgage bankers, etc.

Owner-Occupied Housing Rehabilitation -- Prior to my arrival only five home owners were assisted in 2006.  In the following years $500,000+ annually was invested helping 20-25 home owners per year.

Minor/Emergency Home Repair -- Prior to my arrival about $50,000 annually was spent helping elderly and permanently disabled home owners.  Beginning in 2007, I forged a partnership with People Working Cooperatively and the Federal Home Loan Bank.  As much as $500,000 in combined funding greatly expanded this program.

Section 8 -- Prior to my arrival Housing Code Enforcement staff was directed NOT to handle Section 8 problem properties.  I immediately changed this policy resulting in frequent communications with CONSOC that led to better landlord property compliance.

Scandals -- Upon my arrival, and thanks to the assistance of Skip Batten, I was made aware of a number of questionable decisions involving property rehabilitation.  In at least five instances home owner private debt (mostly credit cards) were paid off with HUD funds.  Also, in the early part of the last decade and in 2006, a large amount of delinquent, non-performing HUD loans were written off.  I instituted a private sector model loan servicing procedure that brought this hidden problem to the forefront.

I welcome any comments you might make to refute what I have said.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 3:19pm
wow--after making all of the biblical directive quotes towards mankind, Mr.Barille takes the low road by cheap-shotting Mr.Self.

Isn't Neil Barille the former ED director(great job!--thanks for leaving this fine mess with your failed agenda) who caught his office/the city building on fire when he fell asleep while smoking a cig in his office?

I remember his wife and him as very nice people, though not particularly successful in moving Middletown forward(where have I heard that phrase b4?). Another retired bureaucrat whom we are still paying for mucking up our city long-term.

Maybe when the pers system goes broke, and the members move to the SS system(oops--they didn't pay in!) and Obama healthcare program, he will think differently. Maybe not. Still--don't worry--we still have abundant Section 8 for you!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 3:41pm
It wasn't a cigarette, it was one of Ron Olson's joints.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 3:42pm
Mercy, Mr. Barille, Pacman's newfound article from your era of planning is a clear indictment of your assessment of the city development plan versus what has actually occured. That quote from Mr. Crout about Middletown being a "city with no slums" certainly has changed since you left, right? Gotta think the Section 8 program, which you appear to be defending, has something to do with the contribution to the rapid decline in this city toward the development of the ghetto, poverty slums. Putting out a "Welcome All Section 8 Voucher People" sign in the town's front yard would tend to do something like that. Mr. Crout's statement about the city's fixation on the downtown and not riding out the I-75 area turned out to be quite a dose of insight, didn't it? You mentioned in the article that "we are beginning to diversify and play a role in a larger economy". This is 2010 and the diversity still hasn't happened. I talked to Bill Donham in council chambers in the late 80's and read a letter to council that night about "putting all the eggs in one basket" concerning diversity and not relying on Armco as much anymore. Still have the letter. Didn't do any good. They didn't listen then and they still aren't listening down at city hall. The Bible teaching forgiveness? Ya gotta earn forgiveness by demonstrating you want to change for it to mean anything. No one in this city government has demonstrated a desire to change in a long time. No forgiveness on the horizon from me as yet, for what they have done to this once proud city. You have contributed to its demise Mr. Barille. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 3:54pm
Thank you again Mr. Self.
It is because of Mr. Barille and Mr. Kohler that
Middletown is now know as “Slumville USA
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 4:03pm
Mr. Braille, I knew you had to be smoking something when I started reading your comments from the past and see you haven't stopped even today.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 4:04pm

It wasn't a cigarette, it was one of Ron Olson's joints.

Oh-OK
That also explains the logic of that period.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

... This article appears to be before 1990. ..
Now, come on Vet!!! Didn't you read the article???

Whoa, says Mr. Barille, the development director. Don't write downtown's obituary just yet. "We've recently seen a strengthening of the downtown real estate market," he said.

Private investments in downtown have totaled $25 million in the past five years, Mr. Barille said, adding that the downtown area appeals to certain types of businesses that don't depend on high visibility for success, such as professional offices.

"And they can get very, very attractive space that's built in a way they don't construct any more -- at very, very reasonable prices," Mr. Barille said.

Further, developers are working on converting vacant business spaces to second-story loft apartments, he said, and numerous revitalization and improvement projects are planned.

From that, it's plain to see that it is the big plan from the mid-1990's!!
No...wait...it's the new Crossroads 2000 plan from the year 2000!!
No wait!!! It's the brand new Master Plan from 2005!!!
NO...Now I recognize it!!!  It's the very LATEST, brand new and improved plan that will be coming in 2010!!
Completely unlike any of the others!!!!
LOL LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 11:45pm

Please share with us, Mr. Barille.  EXACTLY what health plan do YOU have???  Will YOU be abandoning YOUR plan to go with "ObamaCare"???

Or are you one of the "Do as I say, not as I do" crowd???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2010 at 11:51pm

Mr. Self,
After decades of systemic, racial, and cultural inequities in our society, the "Great Society" programs of LBJ ushered in an era where we finally began to address some of the unfairness. ...
I admire the sentiment, Mr. Barille.  But, after decades of "Great Society" programs and hundreds of billions of dollars "invested" in same, aren't the facts that the situations you mentioned have actually gotten WORSE???
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 12:01am
From the Equirer article:
"But there is one big bright spot: a majestic fountain spouts high in the rotunda, ..."
And just wait until you see the big, bright, expensive to operate and maintain "water feature" that Mr. Barille’s protégé, Mr. Kohler, has planned for us at our new “gateway”!!!

Will it do for our new Renaissance Centre what the old water feature did for City Centre???

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 7:45am
The above article in the Enquirer was written in June of 1998.

How can one city hire so many people, that get it so wrong, so much of the time?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 8:32am
You're right Mike. I didn't read it very carefully as to dates, did I?
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 9:42am
But---no mention of bike baths or bark parks!
Or that popular Bicentennial Commons that had it's parking repaved last year.
Has it been used since?

So--a water fountain for Towne Malle should turn it around in a hurry!
Water fountains everywhere should solve everything!
Obviously the demise of the area formerly known as downtown is largely due to the removal of that magnificent indoor water feature.

So simple............
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 9:47am
From that, it's plain to see that it is the big plan from the mid-1990's!!
No...wait...it's the new Crossroads 2000 plan from the year 2000!!
No wait!!! It's the brand new Master Plan from 2005!!!
NO...Now I recognize it!!!  It's the very LATEST, brand new and improved plan that will be coming in 2010!!
Completely unlike any of the others!!!!

Hey Mike you forgot to add that they continue to appoint the SAME people to the City’s Master Planning Committee.....and expect different results...

LOL LOL LOL LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2010 at 10:28am
OR, Miss Vivian, they appoint the same people to the City's Master Planning Committee to PROTECT/GUARANTEE the SAME results....ie, the results that will produce no problems for them. Obviously, assigning the "friends of city government" to all of the vital committees, will allow them to remain in control of the city's destiny, right? Pretty much guarantees no dissention nor opposition in the ranks and no change in venue for their master plan of destruction. It would be a gamechanger if we could get a council put together that would launch the start of the deadwood cleanout. Only way I know of to effectively break this cycle. Start firing certain people in the city building for insufficient performance detrimental to the city.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic