FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sorg Mansion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
eldridge View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sorg Mansion
    Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 12:52pm
Hello Forum Members!

Does anyone have updated information on the sale/transfer of the Sorg Mansion to it's new owner?
Last I read, the renters had vacated and things had been locked down - no trespassing signs etc...
The realtor website still shows the sale as "pending" - and county tax records don't show a change in ownership from the Commercial Realty Company (Finkelman).
It's been over 3 months now since the pending sale.
I'm just a concerned old house buff - hoping that the Sorg doesn't fall into more disrepair and get stripped on the inside by vandals etc... since there may be no one there to watch over the property?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 3:28pm

The Sorg Mansion has been SOLD

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 3:46pm
It's pending, but the seller is still willing to look at other offers. It's not "sold" until it closes. From what I hear, that won't be any time soon. Rumor has it that whoever has it under contract doesn't have the money to close on it. I don't know if this is true or not, but given that it is over 30 days late in closing, it just might be true.

I hear the buyer spams all day long on Facebook begging people to email him to book events at the Sorg Mansion. Who would ever book an event with a person who doesn't own the facility yet and hasn't renovated it?

I swear this is Sorg Opera sale all over again. Thank you Finkelmans!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

I hear the buyer spams all day long on Facebook begging people to email him to book events at the Sorg Mansion. Who would ever book an event with a person who doesn't own the facility yet and hasn't renovated it?

I swear this is Sorg Opera sale all over again. Thank you Finkelmans!

This is a true statement.  And spam is an appropriate term.  The new "owner" (I use that term lightly) does seem to have access to the home as there are pictures posted regularly of the interior.  The is also scheduled a pre-renovation walk-through/tour scheduled for August 11 for those wishing to book an event. 

I hear Sorg Opera has been close to foreclosure many, many time since the ownership change, and that the upstairs is being used as sleeping rooms?  Perhaps someone at 1 Donham Plaza should look into this.  I can't image this is code.
eldridge View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldridge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 6:55pm
Thanks everyone for the input here. Rhodes - I had a hunch the sale might still be up in the air considering the length of time it's taking to close. It must be tough working with the bank on this type of property. At any rate, I surely hope warm bodies find their way inside before winter gets here. I've seen what can happen to un-occupied buildings - especially without the heat on.
It will most likely take another price reduction to get attention again - assuming this pending sale doesn't work out. At this point in time (2 yrs on market), it seems anyone who could have bought, would have by now.
Properties downtown and on historic S. Main are selling at far below their tax appraisal value.
The Sorg property is appraised at $307,000
Is it safe to say the same should hold true here? - anything over appraisal value would be too great a risk/investment?
What's everyone's opinion on a fair price for the Sorg? Any rumors on the current accepted offer?
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 7:38pm
I don't know the sale price, but I doubt it was anywhere near the list price of $495,000. There's another thread on here that had the number $390,000. The guy that has it pending was trying to raise money to buy it on an Alicia Silverstone fan page on Facebook. I don't know if the $390,000 he was trying to raise included any fix up money or if that was the price.

I just now went on Facebook and saw the page swohio75 was talking about. Here's the link to the evite for a pre-restoration showing for people wanting to book an event: http://sorgmansion-efbevent.eventbrite.com. Looks like 4 people have signed up so far.

I don't know if I'd want this guy handling my business with the way he spells. This is exactly as it reads on a marketing page:

"Pre-Restoration Tour For Parties Interested in Weddings, Recetopns and events at the Sorg Mansion"

What's a recetopns?

"This Event Is For Parties Interested In Having They'er Wedding, Reception or Event at the Sorg Mansion, This is a Pre-restoration Showing. So If Interested Please RSVP, and Bring your Ticket with your name and Contact Information on it please"

I've never seen "their" spelled that way before.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 5:20pm
Does anybody know what happened to the Sorg Mansion Facebook page and the event page about next Wednesday's viewing for people wanting to book an event?

It's all gone. I wonder what that means.
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 9:33pm

Yah, what's going on there? I thought it sold.  Anybody know?

mihousenut View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mihousenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2010 at 2:41pm
The funny thing is that all the pictures that were posted are all ones that are available online through Flickr.com and a few other sites, nothing original, and yes the facebook page is gone.....really odd, maybe the appraisal would not go through, or the bank would not loan the money......  
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2010 at 1:46pm
Maybe the guy buying it decided to keep it low key until he can close on it. That's what he should have done all along. I hope he or somebody does buy it soon. I'm against him using any form of tax dollars, but support his efforts to make a go of it. I drove by this house the other day and it looks like a creepy old dump. If that buyer is out there reading these messages, get your act together and get this project moving forward. I bet it sucks to have worked as hard as he did to promote his business venture there and then the city turns around and gives $450,000 to an Indian Hill businessman's privately owned art center. Just a thought.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2010 at 4:14pm

considering the un-realistic rehab costs, it may well be time to level the Sorg mansion and the Sorg Opera House Complex. Neither property has any realistic or cost-justifiable use.

Have you seen the Opera House complex lately?
e.

The mansion property could be re-developed to include that small high-end super market that everyone keeps clamoring for. This location could feed from the W Midd.bridge and both directions on Main St. Actually, with the new UDF  and Duncan complexes scheduled, there is probly no need for anything else. We wouldn't want too much retail in that area, would we Mr.R?

So--once again--explain to me how these 13 starving artist renters are going to spark a downtown business boom?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 7:25am

Spiderjohn
What is the latest news on the opera house?

I thought it was doing well but Kohler didn't like the paint job or tenants.
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 8:05am
None of you guys get it?  I'm suprised Presta hasn't figured it out yet. its simple and right up his ally.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 9:56am
Dead Man
Please enlighten us on what you know about these properties
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 11:58am

From what I’ve been told, there is a lot more to this story than meets the eye.  Let’s just say someone was being taken for a ride. 

Rumor has it that there may be another interested party in the property and this individual likely has the financial resources to see it through.

angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 10:49pm
 I don't know if this is true or not, but given that it is over 30 days late in closing, it just might be true. and that the upstairs is being used as sleeping rooms?  At any rate, I surely hope warm bodies find their way inside before winter gets here.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:48pm

First, let me state right up front that I know nothing for certain about this property, and have not even been inside it since the late 1950s. Also, I have neither the inclination nor the time to either restore or redevelop the property, but I wish the best to anyone who does--assuming they also have the means to do so without using money confiscated from the taxpayers.

Since Mr. Walkin’ seems to think I have some insight into such a situation, I will take a shot, but this is pure speculation, based on past events and rumors!

We have heard rumors that the City wants this property.

We have heard that the City Manager’s “special friend” (who is also the past president of the Middletown Historical Society and the current Chairman of the powerful Commission on Landmarks and Historic Structures) really, really wants control of this property.

We can deduce that PRISM would like to have input into the future of this property to control the demographics and demeanor of “their” area.

We know that the owner of this property might be said to “owe one” to the city for taking the huge liability of the haz-mat abatement of the Studio Theater building off their hands.

We know that the City likes to play fast and loose with the rules and do a lot of “under the radar” wheeling and dealing.

With all of that in mind, here is one possible scenario:

As evidenced by some of the photos available in the public domain, this property had a multitude of violations of the International Property Maintenance Code. Any recent inspections by the City would’ve increased the number of official violations attached to the property, and probably nixed any possibility of federal government-backed loan possibility, (Too bad for the part-time waiter who “had a dream”!) or of any government-assisted multi-family housing on the property.

But wait!!! This property is a registered Historic Landmark!!!

Repairs to bring the property up to code must be done under the watchful (and Gestapo-like) eye of the Commissioner of Historic Structures and Landmarks, the very person who covets the property! So, these extensive repairs must not only be made, they must me made to the hyper-expensive Historically Accurate standards, which can only be afforded by the uber-rich or government entities using TAXPAYERS’ funds.

Good-bye private property! Gimme a dollar! Hello City ownership! But who can oversee the restoration of this magnificent new jewel in Middletown’s crown? Who has the expertise? The boy-toy gets a new toy!!!

Forget about roads! Forget about resolving the combined sewer problem. All of the CBDG and all other tax money “tucked away” anywhere must now go into this new “economic development” project!!!

Just think of all the new businesses, tourism, and prosperity it will “spawn”!!!

A second scenario would be just like the first, except a white knight (friend of the "in crowd") steps in and rescues the property at a bargain basement price.  Then his buddy (the Cimmissioner of History and Landmarks, who reports to NO ONE) decides that a much cheaper "faux" restoration is acceptable.  Of course this falls under "Neighborhood beautification" and a number of other civic categories, so taxpayer funds are still made available (much like with Pendleton, perhaps forgivable "loans").

Bottom line?  Look for the faux elite to be toasting with their plastic wine glasses at the corner of Second and Main after a City Council meeting in the near future!!

Well, Mr. Walkin', did I get it right???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 1:55am
Mike, I hope you are wrong. I had to stop at the American Legion the other day and somebody there told me they heard the apartments were going back up for rent since it's not sold anymore.
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 3:09am
Miss Vivian -

It seems that others concur with your speculation about the status of the Sorg Mansion over the past six or so months.

Can it be possible that the Neighborhood Revitalization Department has unannounced plans to use NSP-1 funds as part of the acquistion and/or historic renovation of this property?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 9:22am
I would bet money on Mike Presta for this one.  A ligitamate business person would not buy this building, the restoration would be to costly - you would have to fund it yourself.  It is hard to get a loan at a bank, I doubt any bank would loan with this used as collateral.  Just like the backroom dealing regarding the Studio, and the old antique mall downtown - there is something going on with this.

I would love to see this restored and put to good use.  But at the expense of using city money - it is not a priority.  To much other things need to be addressed.  Logic would tell us to use money in the way that would benefit the most people - however our city government does not use logic. 

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 9:28am
Here's what I was told by a fairly reliable source about the property.  Based on what I know about my source, I would believe it to be true.

An outside, yet still rather local, investor wanted the house for a single purpose—the windows.  And no, it’s not Jay and Linda Moorman. 

It was believed that the Sorg’s spared no expense in the construction and subsequent modification of their home and had the financial capacity to purchase only the best—which at the time would have been Tiffany windows.  However this investor did not want their name attached to the property.  Why?  The plan was to strip the home of the valuable windows saying they went out for repair, but they were never to be returned.  The same was going to happen with other potential valuable assets in the house. 

Somehow this investor teamed up with the individual who for so long “claimed” to be purchasing the house.  I won’t mention his name here to spare further public embarrassment, although his name has been mentioned before in this forum.  The investor was going to take out of the house what they wanted or deemed valuable and then sublease it to this individual “claiming” to be buying the Sorg.  The first story I heard was that this individual was going to “go green” with the home but realized there wasn’t a lot of grant money to do so.  Hence why the new plan was to make it a reception/meeting hall.

When it was discovered the windows were not Tiffany, the investor pulled out. However, the second individual still wanted to make a go of it and was seeking out new investors to fund his enterprise.  And without actually owning the property, he booked several weddings there and convinced the Finkelman’s that he could make a go of it and was granted an extension on the sales contract.  This individual created the Facebook group convincing everyone he owned the property, continued to solicit bookings and even was trying to raffle off a free wedding to raise funds.  All on a property he did not own.

The last I heard, there are no interested investors.  The Facebook page is gone.  The listing still says Pending.  Not sure what the true status is.

More recently, I was informed that someone local with the financial resources to do something with property has expressed an interest.  But I don’t know how much truth there is to that.  It’s not someone connected to PRISM, currently living in the district, or a city employee or someone connected to a city employee. 

When the Sorg property first went on the market, I do recall hearing/reading that there was a group of property owners that were trying to pull private funds together to collectively purchase the property so they could control its future.   It would not be the first time for something like this.  The homeowners on Gardner Place purchased the old Gardner Mansion when Miami sold it, and held it for several years until an appropriate buyer came along.  They wanted to make sure the home was not converted into apts or a restaurant or other non residential use.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 6:22pm

Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

...The plan was to strip the home of the valuable windows saying they went out for repair, but they were never to be returned. The same was going to happen with other potential valuable assets in the house. ...

Well, well, well!!!

Hence the attempt to rewrite the Draconian and Gestapo-like Section 1210 of the City Code dealing the Historic Commission and anything that they decide is historic, and giving Czar Sammie the ability to imprison anyone who attempts to mess with HIS Sorg Mansion!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:31pm
I hear the buyer spams all day long on Facebook begging people to email him to book events at the Sorg Mansion.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 8:54am
Originally posted by angelababy angelababy wrote:

I hear the buyer spams all day long on Facebook begging people to email him to book events at the Sorg Mansion.
Old news.  Old buyer.  That contract fell through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic