FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Enrollment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
instigator View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Enrollment
    Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 1:23am
Does open enrollment help Middletown City Schools or hurt them? With area school districts competing for money how does this effect Middletown? 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2008 at 10:04am
I believe Open Enrollment hurts Middletown.  Saying that, it is Middletowns fault due to poor scores on State Tests and I am not just blaming the school system.  Middletown overall is to blame.

I think they lost 5-6% of their student population last year most to other school districts.  That added up to between 350-400 students.  If that continues for another 4-5 years they will be closing down some of these new schools they have just built.

I don't see Middletown turning things around under the current school situation, especially in the Middle Schools where it seems the real problem is.
instigator View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote instigator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 8:46pm
Open enrollment can hurt any school district. What really hurts is a school district that sends buses into another district to pick students up. I think if people knew that schools will pick up their kids, Middletown would lose more students. If parents had to drive kids to school and pick them up there would be less open enrollment. Why should tax payers from one district pay the bills for students in other districts. If the state or federal government was paying the bill then open enrollment would be great.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2008 at 10:03am
Yes but in most cases concerning Middletown and the surrounding areas, the surrounding school districts benefit greatly from Open Enrollment and Middletown loses.

Middletown loses students due to one reason, it is the lowest scoring district in the area.  Until that is turned around it will continue to lose students, which translates into lost federal and state funding.

The question is how can Open Enrollment help Middletown, why would anyone from a surrounding district send their child to Middletown Schools?
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 12:03pm

I am considering sending my son to another district for junior high in a couple of years...Middletown schools have that time to convince me not too.  I think the district was misguided to focus on building new beautiful schools and ignoring other problems.  What good is a new building if you can't afford to keep the lights on?

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 12:31pm
Good point about the new buildings. However the building fund has nothing to do with operating the district.

This is due to the way schools are funded in Ohio. They can only spend building money on the building, not staff, programs, etc.

What do you see needs improvement in Middletown Schools?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 1:09pm
Perhaps it is just the perception I have been given from others...that the schools in Middletown are poor.  Feedback from locals (I am fairly new here), both positive and negative is appreciated.  Currently we have him going to the Prep and Fitness Academy.  I am not totally sold on that.  We fall under Highview Elementary and the Vail M.S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic