FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A time for action!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A time for action!
    Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 6:26am

I’ve had occasion recently to approach our fair city from the south via Yankee Road, a route that I have not taken for quite some time. I have also recently had occasion to travel several other “neighborhood” streets and lanes that I have not traveled for quite some time and, quite frankly, I was flabbergasted (and it takes quite a bit to flabbergast me at this stage of my life).

Regardless of the nonchalanche with which our city leaders seem to treat this situation (in all but a few areas) I believe that it is time for drastic action.

It is clear to everyone but our leaders that CDBG money can be used for repair or replacement of our roads and streets, yet they seem dead-set against using it for this purpose, even though providing safe and adequate infrastructure is among the very first purposes of municipal government.

I believe that truly concerned citizens should join me in demanding that an ordinance be passed mandating that no CBDG funds be used for ANY other purpose until all streets possible (with a few exceptions to be addressed below) be brought into first class condition.

I believe that the Commission on Landmarks and Historic Structures has not only been given far too much power in this city, but also has been derelict in their duty. Therefore, I believe that we should demand that, in addition to the above ordinance, another ordinance should be enacted giving the history buffs their wish. This ordinance should mandate that all roads, streets, sidewalks, curbs, gutters and appurtenances in any and all Historic Districts shall forgo maintenance and repair and be allowed to regress to their 1860s era, historic state of muddy gravelly condition. This will have the added benefit of “traffic calming” in these areas. This ordinance should have a provision of “no reconsideration” until all other roads and streets in Middletown have been returned to first class condition, with the exception of roads and streets within one block in any direction of the residence of any member of City Council, or any senior member of city staff, their parents, siblings, or children..

People of Middletown, it is time that we begin to take back our city by whatever means necessary!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 6:50am
Unfortunately, it will never happen in the current climate, Mike. Too much apathy- no one gives a crap (except the few, the proud , the MUSA) We all know there's alot of unhappy people living in this town. We all know that alot of those unhappy people complain on a routine basis in this town and the city leaders don't care. We all know that no one has been successful in organizing all the unhappy, complaining people in this town to approach the city leaders in mass and we all know that until that happens, we will continue to point out the daily blunders made in this city to no avail........and that is very frustrating. Perhaps people like their "comfort zone" of complaining "from a distance" as opposed to telling council what they think at the meetings directly, E-Mailing them or writing Letters To The Editor. Perhaps they see their efforts in complaining as being futile and falling on deaf ears. (can't blame them for that) Perhaps people are too wrapped up in their own personal problems and don't have the time nor the mindset to attack the city's problems- easier to complain and takes less time to do so. Perhaps they're not planning to stay in town and choose to run away from this mess. Easier to leave it behind rather than attack and attempt to solve it. Perhaps the city leaders have beaten the people down so much, there is no more fight in them. Maybe a good tactic on their part to eliminate a threat of opposition. JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 7:03am
Vet,
Help in regards to the matters you discussed may be on the way.  There are other people in this town willing to try to take action.  We just have not reached them yet.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 12:36pm
They are supposed to be redoing yankee road here sometime. I had to put in a new apron, some curbs, and new sidewalk. I didn't want to pay the city to do it since I got a better deal, and I had to do some other concrete work anyway.

The area between Verity and 8th is pretty.. seedy on Yankee. I usually don't drive down that way unless I really have to.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 12:48pm
WAIT just a minute...does that mean they won't fund our new art center???  I can't get behind this, after all Yankee road has been messed up since I was a kid (I remember riding my bike down there in the '80's).  Sarcasm of course...
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 12:56pm
Well thats one problem right there....it's called YANKEE when it should have been named CONFEDERATE. LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2010 at 2:29pm
Mike, I have ben calling for some form of action for awhile now!! The problem is no one cares enough to show up and voice their feelings to those that lead the city into......HELL!!!!
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Storm Ahead View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Ahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 12:05pm
Mr. Presta? What you want and what the Federal Government will permit you to do with CDBG funds may be very far apart. But you are right. It does start with the willingness of local officials, elected and hired.
Stormy
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 10:18pm
Storm:

The repair of failed/failing streets IS a permitted use of CBDG funds, regardless of what you may have been led to believe.  Everyone at City Hall knows (or SHOULD know) it.  It has beens documented here, several times, and even has been admitted at meetings in city hall, although that may not have been reported.

There may be some restrictions on where the streets to be repaired can be located, but I am on record, several times, as acknowledging that and stating that some of our poorest neighborhoods could end up with the best streets and that I support that, especially instead of "beautification" on a street that one cannot even drive down because of its poor repair.

My only reservation now would be to put streets of city power brokers, their relatives and handlers LAST on the schedule, right behind Historic Districts (including downtown). These isolationist, primitive condition lovers should be given their wish.
Bob View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 10:36pm
I think there is $200,000 in CDBG funds being spent on paving this year....
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2010 at 10:45pm
ALL CBDG money should be spent on paving..this year and every year until our streets are all (except for the streets of people who wish to live in the 1890's) back in first class condition!!!

$200,000/yeaar isn't even enough to do crack-sealing on some of our better streets to prevent them from deteriorating, and therefore extend their serviceable lives.  Instead, our city leaders eschew this sort of sensible inexspensive maintenance and let our streets crumble while they squander our tax money on nonsense.
Storm Ahead View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Ahead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 9:30am
Thank you gentlemen. Mr. Presta, you make a most valid point. Oil-based asphalt will only increase in price and I think it takes approximately $130,000 to pave one mile of one lane road right now! We have over 500 miles of roadways.

Has anyone ever asked what we pay in "consultant fees" and who those payees are? I bet we could pave more than a mile, maybe three!
Stormy
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 4:11am

Mike
Do you hear that big sucking sound?
That’s the CDBG funds going into that big black hole known as the new “Main Street Plan”.

angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 2:04am
They are supposed to be redoing yankee road here sometime. I had to put in a new apron, some curbs, and new sidewalk.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic