FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Train Station

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Train Station
    Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 5:07pm
Son and I stopped in to see what the old train station looked like inside. Lived here (off and on) for 61 years, passed by the station many times,especially when the downtown was active in the 50's and 60's and never stopped to visit. Interesting place. Older gentleman from West Middletown/Poastown area talked to us about the place. Built in the early 1900's. Had a bench for passengers in there still attached to the original place on the wall. Had a boiler and the original baggage carts outside. Last train to stop at the station was in 1965. Had the old Baltimore and Ohio sign from the West Middletown station on the wall. Was a car dealership many years ago he said and they had a display section built on the Charles St. side of the station, removed years ago. Nice stained glass displayed too. The floor is interesting. I guess it's a tile material. Guess he knew George Crout fairly well. (Mr. Crout was my elementary school principal at old Wilson Ele. on Highview). He was not pleased when we started the discussion of building demolition by the current city leaders. He is not a fan of their "bulldoze everything in sight" program. He was not pleased with the sign ordinances making him remove the signs he had outdoors. Just one business owner. Wonder what the other business owners think about the people we talk about everyday on this site? All and all, enjoyed the building and the conversation. Something different to do for a Friday afternoon.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 5:42pm

My wife and I stopped in there once,I love older buildings. You can feel the place,sounds weird,but unlike modern buildings it has a voice. You walk in and it speaks to you.

And yes Vet I took my meds  LOL
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 9:20am

Vet
The Big Four Train Station on
Charles Street
was built in 1909.

I can't wait to see it after the Finkleman family get it restored and landscaped.
Articles from the Middletown Journal state that bodies of veterans of the wars were brought to this station and taken down First Ave to be buried at the Middletown Cemetery and Woodside Cemetery.
Middletown Joural article also states the last passenger train out of this station was on April 30, 1971.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

I can't wait to see it after the Finkleman family get it restored and landscaped.

Is that their plan?  I do remember back several years ago with the original Duncan Oil proposal/project, the old Clark Station property was to be transferred to the Finkleman Family in exchange for a small piece of vacant land south of the old Office Outfitters property. 

Once the Clark Station was removed, the Finkleman family was going to create a landscaped garden with a replica of the fountain that was once located in this spot.  Harry was still alive at the time, and spearheading this effort.   It was going to be dedicated in honor of his wife, as she was still living at the time as well.

The city now controls the property as a result of the latest development agreement with Duncan.  The Downtown Strategic Plan contains a site plan of the area around the train station.  It does indicate this area as a landscaped garden:

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/ed/dsp/dsp_chapter3.pdf

Whether or not the train station ever sees passenger traffic again, the building should be preserved and the area around it needs some attention as well.  If the city wants to give the Finkleman the old Clark property to do what they originally wanted to do, I say go for it.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 10:51am
Swohio
I have not seen or heard anything about the final plans for the train station however...If the City is going to give grants to restore the buildings downtown then they should also give grant funds to Rachel to restore the train station.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Swohio
I have not seen or heard anything about the final plans for the train station however...If the City is going to give grants to restore the buildings downtown then they should also give grant funds to Rachel to restore the train station.
Golly, Ms. Moon, those are not "grants"!!!  Those are "LOANS" that just happen to have absolutely NO requirements whatsoever to be paid back!!! LOL LOL LOL Don't you understand "Cityspeak"???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic