FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yesterday's strip malls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yesterday's strip malls
    Posted: Sep 09 2010 at 11:52pm
K-mart, likely killed by Wal-mart and Target on the far east end

Lots of parking

Aldi, being just up the hill changes everything

Kroger, eastbound too

Death to the rest of the mall

Hills...Ames...no more

Target, east end or die

Death to the rest of the mall, again

Haunted Cambridge Inn

Spooky

This is why I'm sticking with Downtown, vibrant or not, its character is undeniable.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2010 at 10:41am
So what you're saying is that because of the unfortunate demise of strip malls due to the demise of the local economy, you will "support" downtown by, my guess, going along with any Kohler-inspired taxpayer giveaway or any rebranded but already doomed Main St. initative, whether these ideas are supported by common sense or not?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2010 at 11:53am
While I applaud your efforts in trying to show other parts of our once great city that are just as devastated or poorly maintained as Downtown. why are we not spending out there to try and improve our image??

But supportMiddletown, you have taken one picture of the downtown area, and that was even in the newer section. what about these areas a mire two blocks up the street from your picture? 

Are we to go down and partake in the great art festivities and forget what we drove through to get there?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2010 at 6:59pm
Randy- (and those that are new to town)- that top photo you posted is the former Reed-Klopp Furniture store where, back in the 50's-60's, was THE place to buy your furniture. Son has grandmas bedroom furniture in his room now that was purchased there in the 50's. Good solid maple construction on the furniture. Sad to see the other photo which is close to the now closed Liberty hotdog restaurant, the predecessor to Skyline/Gold Star nowadays. The other photos posted by Support Midd., depict the epitaph of this town since the 70's. More closing and leaving than moving in and setting up shop. Remember the Cambridge Inn as a decent place to eat. Alot of elderly supported that business. Food was kind of bland as I remember it. Nice architecture to the building. Really sad to have seen it being used as a "haunted house" novelty theme at Halloween. Really deserves better than that IMO. Wish all you younger folks here could have lived here 40 years ago. You would have had a totally different opinion of the town compared to the crappy picture you see now. Even tougher to have seen it go down the crapper since the prosperous times. D-- I'm ! Sorry to rehash the old days again, but it was one of the better times in my life.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2010 at 9:42pm
Wow, I feel like I've been unjustly attacked. Let me explain, then.

The pictures only demonstrate the movement of big box/strip mall retail to the far east edge of the city, leaving behind areas for redevelopment.

Likewise, downtown needs reinvestment and attention, and, perhaps in places, demolition.

I just threw the last photo in because I happened to snap it at the same time as the other photos. But my comment above it does demonstrate how I feel. Those abandoned strip malls have no character, no value in my view. The boarded up Reed Klopp, on the other hand, is full of character that contributes to the sense of place of Middletown and has much greater potential than a boarded up K-mart. Accordingly, I'll take downtown over the generic retail on the east end of the city any day.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 8:39am

Vet I think Lovely’s Furniture Store on South Main St is the only furniture store left in Middletown now.  Liberty Restaurant and Elite's was the place to go after a great Middie's ball games. The Cambridge Inn was a cafeteria type chain restaurant. After they closed all the restaurants in this area I helped redesign one of their buildings in Cincinnati into an office. I really liked the look of the building and it's a real shame that someone didn't reuse the one here in Middletown.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 8:49am

Here is the link to the history of Elite's Ice Cream and Candy Company written by Michael Revelos. It brings back so many happy memories of my youth.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 12:27pm
Interesting history on Elites, Vivian. Reading through it, I was introduced to Elites (Revelos???) when they had their "soda fountain" operation on Central across from the old tobacco warehouse (Polar Bear), which was a huge brick building that took up the entire block where the auto repair shop is, the old Office Outfitters building was, and I believe Auto Zone is today. Also remember Hagais's Candy. Thought they were down Central across from where Grimes and Central meet. ?? Not sure anymore.

Didn't Elites have a small store on the end, in the strip shopping center next to the bank and consignment shop, across from Midd. Shopping Ctr. years ago? That's the last location I remember for them.

Anyhow- good reading
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 6:01pm

Vet
Here is the information on Charlie Hagias Candy.

I believe at one time the Greeks owned and operated every restaurant in Middletown Big%20smile

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 10:13pm
Yeah, Hagias's Candy at 1367 Central back in the 60's. As mentioned in the article, it was a hangout for Midd. High students back then. Then off to catch the Ortman-Stewart bus home at the bus stop by Central Pastry by the wall. No yellow school buses back then. You took the city bus to/from school.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2010 at 1:27pm
Who is responsible for all these empty strip mall areas ? Does the city own these properties ?

Let's get'em torn down !! GET'R DONE !!!!
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2010 at 1:25am
I really liked the look of the building and it's a real shame that someone didn't reuse the one here in Middletown.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic