FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revelos & Jack's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 8:06am

At the last City Planning Board Meeting on Sept 8 it was discovered that the current Middletown Sign Ordinance was unconstitutional and Mr. Kohler seemed clueless and unable to answer the questions of the board members.

Board members didn't seem very happy. 
Ya just got to watch it
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 9:28am
Well Kohler being clueless isn't surprising because everyone in city hall is clueless.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 11:12am
I watched it this morning and things get interesting at 46:45

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 11:20am
Oh crap randy sue, does this mean that with the Planning Commission members being unhappy, they are about to give 'ole Marty a Kohlerinoscopy?

An hey, Hermes, why you dissin' on the boys and girls at the city buildin'. Bet if you hung around 'em, you'd learn to like them and see their ways.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 11:30am
Vet - I have been to the top of the mountain...I have seen the valley below.....and I can't think of anything else smart to say LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 7:24pm
randy-just watched the meeting. Mercy! Lenny Robinson said it loud and clear- the city sign law from Kohler HAS BEEN DEEMED UNCONSTITUTIONAL BY THE COURTS, produced documents, and re-stated his case for the absent-minded professors behind the curved desk. I would think that the court involvement and the non-legality of the law would provoke an act of urgency from these people to protect the city from major lawsuits- but no, just a discussion to "table it" until more is learned. No sense of urgency? Amazing! Don't know about Brickey, Marconi, Amburgey and the others. Don't seem to have alot on the ball if what I saw demonstrated was the norm. Amazingly, when Kohler said the city has retained a specialized lawyer, and when asked by Amburgey for the name of this lawyer, Kohler couldn't remember the name and said he was from Cleveland. Now, either Kohler is lying about this retention, or he has fabricated yet another story to satisfy his ego to control everything he gets his hands on. Kinda had that "deer in the headlights" look as he was being questioned. Typical committee formed in Middletown. Not a one of them took charge and motivated the committee to act with any urgency. Just stammered and mumbled through the whole ordeal. What a crock.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 7:44pm
Ahhhh, what the hell are you all Bitching about.  Kohler said the sign ordinance contained, I believe his word was an "error".  Now Kohler must be right as Gilliland thinks of him as the Cities savior and fair haired boy that knows and sees all.   Gilliland about goes into orbit with glee when she talks about Ole Kommandant Kohler.  Had to get a laugh out of it when Kohler basically tried to pass off a ruling of Unconstitutional as a small error..LOL

Did I also hear Lenny right when he said he was pulling a $4.5 Million deal for Middletown that would have brought about 80 jobs to the city, because of Kohler's inaction on the matter.  I can't believe Kohler continues to skate on by with a job in this city.  No one person should have this much control over what a city this size does.Thumbs%20Down

Kommandant Kholer
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 8:07pm
Thank you very much for keeping us up-to-date with photos 409!!!

I'm not sad to see the strip mall go, but the Revelos will be missed.

Someone mentioned the Bundy building, so I thought I'd post a 1983 picture from the library website taken just before its demolition. It once contained a theater in the center and had gorgeous detailings.

In the next block accross Central Avenue stood the Harlan block in 1983. It would only stand until 1990 and later be the Auto Zone site.

These large apartment buildings likely provided cheap housing to the many incoming factory workers, especially those at Sorg Tabacco which was stood directly across from Bundy building until 1958.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 8:46pm
Thanx for those memories, Support.
Beautiful and functional for the longest time.
I had forgotten about that corner just b4 the railroad tracks.
Was with Mr.Revelos this weekend.
Legendary man--very well-liked.

What we just demoed was a mess.
Please keep on going to the west down Central
What we may have might not be much better if the Repubs win the state governorship.
Kasich says the high speed train plan will be shelved immediately as being too costly and in-effecient.
A study of wasted and huge bureoucracy imo

Strickland or Kasich----imagine that
I couldn't stomach watching their conversation
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 10:09pm
Let's not forget the Bundy building was actually a conversion of the old Decatur Buggy Works.

The conversion occurred around 1911.

First modern loft redevelopment of an industrial site :)

http://www.middletownlibrary.org:8080/cgi-bin/viewerCISOROOT=/Crout&CISOPTR=13000

SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 10:34pm
I'm sure they didn't get all the environmental contamination out!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 6:29am
Spider- Mike- in reference to the first picture by Support.....the building by the rr tracks used to be a pool hall. The second picture by Support....on the closest end in the picture was about where Dearth's Hobby Shop was located. Do you remember Dearth's? Bought my first HO train set in there as a kid. This building stood next to the old P. Lorrilard Polar Bear tobacco warehouse didn't it?

Thanks for the pictures 409 and Support! Good memories from a better time in this town.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 9:38am
I watched the video link this morning posted above. I find it hard to believe a man like Lenny Robinson can show up at a city planning meeting and be treated rudely. He's had many multi-million dollar developments under his belt. I'm not saying they should roll out the red carpet, but come on, what's with the sneering attitude? Are they jealous of him?

Who is that Brickey guy and what was his problem with his authoritarian act? The people on that council, except for Amburgey (I think that's his name, 2nd guy from left), were pathetic. It's an embarrassment to watch. The one woman seemed like she was just dying to take on Robinson like she was "in the know". Marconi came off like a hillbilly bump on a log, like he always does.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, this is what happens when you put "middle class" nobodies in charge.

Does anyone know how long Kohler has been working for the city? Why is he allowed to get by with his consistent bad track record?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 11:33am
Rhodes- I think your "rude" description of the way Mr. Robinson was treated is accurate. Brickey is a former member of the school board I believe. Don't remember if he was on any other boards or committees beside the school board and this planning committee. Others would remember.

Incredibly, some had nothing to say. Others did alot of talking, especially Amburgey, but the content of the conversation was spent on indecisions about making a decision to table the darn request and not enough focus on asking point blank questions to gather information that they should have been provided in the first place. Wouldn't have to table this if they would have started asking direct questions. Too easy to use the delay tactics rather than to face making a decision I guess. It was almost like they were scared to ask Kohler to be accountable for getting them the information that they were entitled to. Kohler seemed to sense their weakness and treated the whole inquiry as if it didn't matter. Another group of people on a committee meeting for the purpose of talking but not making any decisions to solve problems. Sounds like council.

I believe,(correct me if I'm wrong) that Kohler was fired from a city of Lebanon job with the same position as city planner a few years ago. Might be wrong on that though.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 11:49am
I'd like to hear more information on whether Kohler got fired from his Lebanon job if anybody happens to know.

I'd also like to know how Kohler, who appears to be of modest means, was able to pay $235,000 cash for his home on S. Main. Maybe he's a good saver, most people that are good at investing/saving would never buy a property that will not appreciate in value like he did. The characteristic traits of someone who has that much cash available doesn't seem to fit his situation. I'm not saying anything improper took place, but something seems a little out of step.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 12:03pm
Rhodes
I believe Mr. Kohler is paid about a $120,000 a year to be head of our  planning department.
Mr. Kohler put this board between the rock and the hard place...
You can bet that Mr. Kohler was peeled down like an onion by this board after this meeting.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

I'd also like to know how Kohler, who appears to be of modest means, was able to pay $235,000 cash for his home on S. Main. Maybe he's a good saver, most people that are good at investing/saving would never buy a property that will not appreciate in value like he did. The characteristic traits of someone who has that much cash available doesn't seem to fit his situation. I'm not saying anything improper took place, but something seems a little out of step.

That's really none of your business.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Rhodes
I believe Mr. Kohler is paid about a $120,000 a year to be head of our  planning department.

I thought it was closer to $80-$85k.  Maybe $120k with benefits?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 12:47pm

I'd like to hear more information on whether Kohler got fired form his Lebanon job if anybody happens to know.
This is what was reported...notice the article states the following:

It's the third time in 15 years that Lebanon has fired Planning Director Marty Kohler by eliminating his job. This time, the city has decided to replace the director with a city planner position.

Lebanon OKs cutting 4 jobs

Council action starts hottest recent debate

By Cindi Andrews, candrews@enquirer.com
The Cincinnati Enquirer

LEBANON — City Council voted 5-2 Tuesday to make budget changes that included eliminating the planning director and three other city jobs.

The issue sparked the most heated debate since the new council took office three months ago, with Councilman Ron Pandorf alleging that he was shut out of the budget process.

The council majority's motives in putting employees out of work were questioned by several speakers, including former Councilman MarkFlick.

“Behind the smoke screen of eliminating positions to reduce the budget is political genocide,” he said.

Councilman James Reinhard, however, blamed the previous council's “wild spending” for the city's current tight finances.

It's the third time in 15 years that Lebanon has fired PlanningDirector Marty Kohler by eliminating his job. This time, the city hasdecided to replace the director with a city planner position.

The 2002 budget revisions also eliminate the human resources manager and clerk, and the information technology director. But two of them will probably remain with the city: The clerk has been moved to a different position, and IT Director Don Senteney has applied for the newly created, lower-paying job of information technology coordinator, City Manager Pat Clements said.

Mr. Kohler and Human Resources Manager Carolyn Carlisle will get five weeks' severance pay if they agree not to sue, City Attorney Mark Yurick said.

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

That's really none of your business.

I just made it my business, how you like that?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:19pm
It doesn't matter what salary they draw or how many times they've been fired,what does matter is the fact that Kohler,Gilleland and several others NEED TO BE FIRED NOW. Replacement shouldn't even be of concern until they are all out. I think the city would run itself just fine minus these people,it couldn't get worse.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:38pm
Hermes, actually it does matter because it frames a bigger picture. When a salary doesn't line up with a normal $235,000 cash home buyer, that's enough to raise flags with me. It appears he's been government employed for many years, so what gives on that one? And the fact he's been fired 3 times in 15 years from the same city that eliminates his job each time REALLY seems odd. What are the chances?!?!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:49pm

Rhodes
  I believe it was last year that Pacman posted all the salaries of city employees on this blog. I remember we were all a bit shocked with the numbers.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:51pm
How he paid for his house doesn't matter.  He may have received an inheritance for all we know.

Spider, check your Inbox......
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 1:55pm

Hermes, actually it does matter because it frames a bigger picture. When a salary doesn't line up with a normal $235,000 cash home buyer, that's enough to raise flags with me.

Inheritance?  Stock market investments?  Prior gain (big one) on a real estate purchase?  Or just really thrifty over the years.

It really is none of your business what anyone can afford and by what means they are able to make the purchase. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic