FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City moves to terminate CONSOC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City moves to terminate CONSOC
    Posted: Sep 17 2010 at 7:32pm

Pacman, I’m sorry but I thought we needed to move this discussion here so we could have more space for this important topic.

Direct%20Link%20To%20This%20Post Topic: Consoc on the way out?????
    Posted: Today at 2:58pm
PACMAN

Back when the decision to keep Consoc was made many of us here were against it, as were many at City Hall. 

The question is why does Council get it wrong so many times, when the average citizen with few to no resources can get it right?

Now we have to go through more wasted time and money.

City moves to terminate contract with Section 8 administrator

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer
1:41 PM Friday, September 17, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — The city could be shopping for a new administrator for its Section 8 program as council will consider a resolution to terminate its contract with Consoc Housing Consultants at its housing meeting Tuesday, Sept. 21.

Mayor Larry Mulligan said Consoc, the Columbus-based company that has been the administrator of the city’s Section 8 program since 1996, was notified in April that there were several deficiencies related to their operation of the program. While some progress was made initially, he said he believes some of the problems have not been addressed.

City Manager Judy Gilleland and Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins are expected to give a report on those deficiencies at the housing authority meeting at 5:30 p.m. in council chambers, One Donham Plaza.

========================================================================
MIDDLETOWN, OHIO May 5, 2009
Ord. No. O2009-34 Ordinance No. O2009-34, an ordinance establishing a procedure for and authorizing CONSOC a contract with CONSOC Housing Consultants for the purpose of administering the Housing Choice Voucher Program was presented for second reading and action.
Ms. Gilleland explained she was pleased that contract negotiations are completed.

The parties came to a fair agreement. It took a lot of work to get to this point. CONSOC will receive 78% of the fee. The City will have an enhanced housing quality inspection program with enhanced criminal background checks, regular reporting, monthly meetings and regular discussions. HUD reminded her that she is the director. They will have enhanced staff management of the program. Staff is currently revising policies in the administrative plan. The contract is for a three-year term and she recommended for approval.

Ms. Scott Jones stated she is going to vote no and wanted to explain. During the hearings she voted no and will be consistent. She commended CONSOC for honoring the contract negotiations.

Mr. Marconi moved for the adoption of Ordinance O2009-34. Ms. Scott Jones seconded and the motion carried. Ayes: Armbruster, Becker, Ford, Marconi, Mulligan and Schiavone. Nays: Scott Jones

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2010 at 8:13pm
Gilleland and Adkins have not been here for most of those years with CONSOC.  I believe the last time CONSOC's contract expired it took almost 2-3 years for Council to rehire them they just kept extending the contract.

When Adkins took over he made changes which I don't think CONSOC was happy with and that was their down fall.  CONSOC got to comfortable and use to doing things their way.  Just my opinion.

If you remember correctly it was Gilleland's and the Cities paid Consultant's recommendation that the program be transferred to Butler County several years ago.  But you can thank Schiavone, Becker, Ford, Mulligan, Armbruster and Marconi for most of this mess. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2010 at 8:35pm
Vivian why is this so important?  I think this is a move in the right direction that is long over due and should have taken place long ago,  For far to long no one and I mean no one has been looking out for the overall well being of the city as a whole.

The city claims they ran up the Section 8 numbers to stabilize neighborhoods.  Sorry I don't by that one.  No city should make a decision like that and think that it is a good one.  Telling CONSOC that they wanted to more than double the vouchers was like waving a red flag in front of a bull.  CONSOC saw dollar signs and failed to give any warning to the city about the issues of doing such a thing and the problems of dealing with HUD if you change your mind later on.

Personally i say good bye to CONSOC and lets move ahead with getting Section 8 vouchers in the city reduced.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2010 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

If you remember correctly it was Gilleland's and the Cities paid Consultant's recommendation that the program be transferred to Butler County several years ago.  But you can thank Schiavone, Becker, Ford, Mulligan, Armbruster and Marconi for most of this mess. 

And Dan Tracy - Middletown's self-professed King of Section 8. Who argued for the retention of Consco.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 8:11am

Pacman

I have talked with landlords and tenants and the real problem seems to be with The Inspection Group. TIG can’t seem to get the paperwork to CONSOC in a timely manner. If you remember all the past council meetings it was all about TIG not being able to transfer information from their PDF computer file to CONSOC.

CONSOC didn’t increase Section 8 that was Mr. Kohler and then it went before City Council for approval. It wasn’t CONSOC that saw $$$ that would be the City of Middletown….and I believe that’s what this is all about again, I and Nelson have said for months that the City would bring this entire program in-house to “feed the beast”.

However I believe this current action has been taken because of the recent visits and letters from HUD with Mr. Atkins and Ms Gilleland. 
I do not believe that HUD will let this continue much longer.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 8:28am
I think that Ms.Moon has nailed this history very well.
Also her thoughts towards future direction.

This is all about city Admin getting their hands on the $$ passing through CONSOC, in order to fund themselves.
Increased staffing for Community Revitalization and Economic Development has a steep cost.
CONSOC does ehat they have done throughout their entirety as a partner with the city.
They haven't really changed.
It is the city and their new direction that has changed.
Throwing big $$ away on prime property improvements, then giving away the property, huge demo costs already and future demo obligations, along with crazy inflated property purchases and associated costs.
These situations are leading the city into a very precarious financial situation just down the road in a year or so, when the fed funny money stops flowing.

By then, these Admin heads will be long gone(they haven't been here long and have never lived here), and once again the citizens will be left holding the empty bag, with a huge financial hole in front .

Council has no business or financial sense or experience whatsoever. Their decisions fly in the face of any true fiscal/business logic or responsibility. They simply don't have the backround to understand the severe consequences of their wasteful actions.

With Nov.coming, it is time to return to "starving the beast" into sunmission.

jmo
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 8:53am

Spider
I’m really concerned about the transfer of millions of dollars into the downtown again when we don’t have the last restoration project paid for and now we are going to add to this debt. How much do we now owe on bonds?
How much money will the City invest in the Manchester Inn deal? Where is all this money going to come from?

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 10:30am
I think Vivian has echoed what a lot of people in town think,it's about the money and nothing else.

As for The Inspection Group...I'm not exactly sure what their purpose is in all this,but if they are suppose to inspect and approve potential section 8 houses then they are failing miserably in their job. Since when does a house get approval for section 8 when the windows are broken out,no window screens and any number of other problems ? How do you justify approval ?

No this is about much more than just taking care of low income citizen's.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 11:20am
As I remember it, it was TIG that was having a hard time getting tenant info from CONSOC and then the two had a problem getting reports between each other in a format they could both work with.  I find it hard to believe that TIG who does inspections for programs far bigger than Middletown's was the main Problem in this mess.  If you don't think CONSOC was more than happy to add vouchers for the extra hundreds of thousands of dollars you are sadly mistaken.

CONSOC gets 78% of the Admin fee, I am assuming that is the $964K the Journal mentions and the city gets 22% of the admin fee, I am guessing that would be about $200-250K for the city roughly.  Then the city has to turn around and pay TIG $149K, so I don't see where the city is making out financially in this deal as far as the administration of vouchers.  We all know the city ran up the number of vouchers, the problem is no one CONSOC included advised against this plan, I wonder why....$$$$$$$$$$.

I think the city will hire another company for the immediate future and if Adkins plan is able to be moved forward I think eventually the city will bring the program in house, as down the road the number of vouchers administered in Middletown maybe to small to be financially viable for any company.  I see no problem with this, it seems to have worked in Parma,

Vivian the Landlords stand to potentially lose money in this deal, I am sure they are against anything that will change the status quo that they have enjoyed the last 10-15 years where they made of Millions of dollars in rent and most living outside the city.

If you are going to follow the money follow the big money going to CONSOC and the landlords and if you think you can trust HUD think again.  HUD has one interest and that is providing housing to the poor at any cost.  They are not interested in the city as a whole.  HUD complained about some of the cities stats in their letter and then HUD turned around and used their own funny math in some of their figures also.

It is time to put the city and its tax paying citizens FIRST, not the landlords, not HUD, not the City Admin., not CONSOC, TIG and not 1600 voucher recipients, but the 50,000 people that live in Middletown.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 11:42am

Pacman - Are you defending city hall and saying the section 8 fiasco is TIG & Consoc fault ?

I guess I'm just to much of a pessimist,I see money involved for city hall some way some how and IMO thats the only reason for all this. Nothing else makes sense. Whether it has been kickbacks from Consoc & or TIG or what but I'll damn near guarantee money is flowing into a private account somewhere. And if it's not the money then what is it ?

Am I the only one on this board that thinks some of the biggest crooks in town are in city hall ?!!!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 11:52am
I believe that the original plan was to hold on to the high # of vouchers(to control the funding associated), yet steer the users to other locations. I don't think that the plan will fly now, instead approx.1000 vouchers(and the attached funding) will be transferred elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see how the city building adapts if this in-coming cash flow is halted.

Offering voucher-users a small incentive probably won't be enough to cause them to leave thei0r comfortable situation here. I expect them to accept less and stay.

Council over-ruled their consultants and Admin to re-approve CONSOC(as the highest bidder) because they were happy with CONSOC's performance. Then Council hired the inspection team, and things began to un-ravel. Seems the inspection team(TIG?) has mucked up the process, so how can CONSOC * be remov*ed and the inspection team kept? Did these listed "deficiencies" with CONSOC just come up, or is it simply business as usual and a convenient excuse to toss them so dmin can grab the $$ associated with the vouchers?

We all know just how well our Admin runs these programs and manages $$.
Remember--THEY zre the ones respoonsible for creating and contyrolling this mess(not CONSOC).

JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 5:27am
As I remember it, it was TIG that was having a hard time getting tenant info from CONSOC and then the two had a problem getting reports between each other in a format they could both work with.  I find it hard to believe that TIG who does inspections for programs far bigger than Middletown's was the main Problem in this mess.  If you don't think CONSOC was more than happy to add vouchers for the extra hundreds of thousands of dollars you are sadly mistaken....Pacman

Pacman
I disagree with you on this point.

It was clearly the obligation of Mr. Adkins to furnish the tenant data to TIG.
It should never have been the obligation of CONSOC to train TIG.
It was Mr. Adkins job to make sure that these venders could exchange information before he gave the contract to TIG.
The transfer of information from TIG has been a nightmare for all concerned since the day they were hired.
I called several council members and told them that the TIG program would not work here in Middletown because of the turn around time required for this program.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Pacman - Are you defending city hall and saying the section 8 fiasco is TIG & Consoc fault ?

I guess I'm just to much of a pessimist,I see money involved for city hall some way some how and IMO thats the only reason for all this. Nothing else makes sense. Whether it has been kickbacks from Consoc & or TIG or what but I'll damn near guarantee money is flowing into a private account somewhere. And if it's not the money then what is it ?

Am I the only one on this board that thinks some of the biggest crooks in town are in city hall ?!!!

No Hermes I am not defending the City.  We all know the City is at fault for the current Section 8 Fiasco, personally I would fire any city employee that was involved in running up the number of Section 8 Vouchers.  What I am saying is that Gilleland and Adkins were not involved in the run up of vouchers and are the Only admin in a long time that has made any attempt or even spoke about reducing vouchers, would I like to see it happen faster yes, but we all know how Government works.

As far as the money goes as stated above follow where the largest amounts of money go and who benefits the most.  From the least to the highest I think the City gets the least amount of funds probably about $100-150k, TIG Gets the second lowest amount of funds about $149k, CONSOC get the second highest amount of funds at $964k and the Landlords get the lions share of the HUD funds, up wards of $8-9+ MILLION.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I believe that the original plan was to hold on to the high # of vouchers(to control the funding associated), yet steer the users to other locations. I don't think that the plan will fly now, instead approx.1000 vouchers(and the attached funding) will be transferred elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see how the city building adapts if this in-coming cash flow is halted.

Offering voucher-users a small incentive probably won't be enough to cause them to leave thei0r comfortable situation here. I expect them to accept less and stay.

Council over-ruled their consultants and Admin to re-approve CONSOC(as the highest bidder) because they were happy with CONSOC's performance. Then Council hired the inspection team, and things began to un-ravel. Seems the inspection team(TIG?) has mucked up the process, so how can CONSOC * be remov*ed and the inspection team kept? Did these listed "deficiencies" with CONSOC just come up, or is it simply business as usual and a convenient excuse to toss them so dmin can grab the $$ associated with the vouchers?

We all know just how well our Admin runs these programs and manages $$.
Remember--THEY zre the ones respoonsible for creating and contyrolling this mess(not CONSOC).

JMO

Spider, personally I don't care how they reduce the vouchers.  Cut the numbers by transfer or by using the Parma approach, either works for me.

What cash flow are you talking about?  The $100-150k the city gets each year?  I don't see that as enough money to make a big dent in City staffing.  If the program is reduced to between 400-600 vouchers most likely the city will take over the administration of it and the inspection duties and probably get between $265-400k in Admin fees per year depending on the number of vouchers.  The city may very well make more money if they take over the program then if it stays the way it is now, they will of course incur more costs also.

I believe TIG was hired because originally CONSOC was doing the inspections and getting to keep about $140K extra in the previous years contracts.  I also believe that they were not doing a good job of the inspections and that is why they were moved to TIG.  CONSOC also came under more scrutiny and rules working with Adkins, which is a good thing and they didn't care for that much, also resenting loosing the Inspection funds.  Personally I think CONSOC resented TIG being brought in and wasn't going to make it easy to convert to their system.  TIG has done inspections, for New York City which has over 100,000 Section 8 vouchers, hey have also done inspection for Boston and Cleveland both having far more vouchers than Middletown.  I am not saying they may not have contributed to th issues, but I don't believe they were the bulk of the problem.

Spider you are exactly right Admin was responsible for controlling this program and when they attempted to tighten the reins on CONSOC I believe CONSOC pushed back and now we are seeing the results of that push back by CONSOC.  CONSOC is basically a one trick pony relying on Middletown for it's survival money wise, they see that as disappearing now.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Vivian Vivian wrote:

I disagree with you on this point.
It was clearly the obligation of Mr. Adkins to furnish the tenant data to TIG.
It should never have been the obligation of CONSOC to train TIG.
It was Mr. Adkins job to make sure that these venders could exchange information before he gave the contract to TIG.
The transfer of information from TIG has been a nightmare for all concerned since the day they were hired.
I called several council members and told them that the TIG program would not work here in Middletown because of the turn around time required for this program.

If it was clearly Adkins duty, as you state, to furnish the data to TIG and he instructed CONSOC to provide that data to TIG and they either wouldn't or dragged their feet doing it, whose fault would that be?

Why would it be Consoc's or the Cities job to teach TIG how to do their job.  TIG has worked for New York, Boston, Cleveland, and many other Section 8 programs.  I seriously doubt they needed to be told how to do their job.

From my experience with CONSOC, when I requested a copy of all of the landlords that owned property and rented to Section 8 Voucher holders in Middletown, I was presented with a 500 plus page report with one landlord printed per page as they were unable to develop a report back then with 25-50 landlords on one page.  This tells me CONSOC had issues with providing data in a reasonable manner.

From TIG's website:
"The Inspection Group uses our own proprietary software that we call: TIG (This Is Great!). We’ve compiled the experiences from over 4,500 REAC inspections to create the best software available. It is a simple program that anyone familiar with UPCS can use on hand-held computers. TIG can export the inspection data into at least 15 different data programs and numerous operating system platforms for our client’s needs such as work orders or CNAs, among others."

Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 2:17pm
Miss..Vivian/SpiderJohn/Hermes:

In..9/2007..(eight..months..after..my..hiring)..I..began..receiving..monthly..spreadsheets..from..CONSOC.

This..electronic..data..listed..all..Housing..Choice..Voucher..tenants..by..name..and..place..of..residence.

In..turn..I..forwarded..this..data..to..Marty..Kohler,..Les..Landen..Major..Hoffman..Russ..Carolus..Etc.

Several..months..later..in..early..2008..I..received..other..monthly..spreadsheets..from..CONSOC.

These..included....all..Housing..Choice..Voucher..landlords..by..name..and..address..of..property.

All..electronically..formatted..data..on..tenants..and..landlors..were..also..sent..almost..monthly...to:

City..Manager's..Office..and..Water..Department..staff..as..well.

After..I..was..forced..out...of..my...job..in..1/2009..by..Miss..Judy..I..have..no..idea..how..this..was..handled.

Prior..to..my..hiring..Housing..Code..Inspectors..were..directed..NOT..TO..BE..concerned..with..Section..8.

They..were..told..that..CONSOC..had..its'..own..staff..to..ensure..compliance..with..HUD..standards.

I..changed..this..unwise..Planning...Department..policy..at..the...end...of...my...first..month..on..the..job.

Whenever..my..inspectors..identified..potential..non-compliant...Section..8..properties..I'd..call..CONSOC.

In..speaking..with..Sandra..Joseph..or..her...son..Harrison..I..always..got..immediate..corrective..action.

I..hope...that..this..helps...contradict..some..of...the..conjectural...commentary..of..detractors..on..this..blog.

Thanks..Miss..Vivian,..SpiderJohn..&..Hermes...for..presenting..facts..for..MUSA..readers..to..consider.

NRS
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2010 at 3:26pm
From TIG's website:
"The Inspection Group uses our own proprietary software that we call: TIG (This Is Great!). We’ve compiled the experiences from over 4,500 REAC inspections to create the best software available. It is a simple program that anyone familiar with UPCS can use on hand-held computers. TIG can export the inspection data into at least 15 different data programs and numerous operating system platforms for our client’s needs such as work orders or CNAs, among others."

…..and this is the very software that has caused the nightmare for the City, CONSOC, landlords and tenants.

angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 10:29pm

Hi! Thank you for this very useful informations.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic