FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Revelos Bldg. Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revelos Bldg. Demo
    Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 6:35pm
Demo began today on the Revelos Building.

SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 10:47pm
Cry
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 2:13am
If this is such a crying shame, why didn't your pals on the Historic Commission stop it? They have the authority to do so.
The truth is, it's all about money in their pockets and has very little to do with history and this is a great example.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
Wots View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 8:05pm

What was the orginal use of the Revelos Bldg?

And thru the years?

Thanks
Wots
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Dead man walkin' Dead man walkin' wrote:

If this is such a crying shame, why didn't your pals on the Historic Commission stop it? They have the authority to do so.
The truth is, it's all about money in their pockets and has very little to do with history and this is a great example.

The Revelos Building is NOT in one of the historic districts. They have no control. Move on, sir.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 11:14pm

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 11:37pm
^^^^^^^^

Look at that detail. I wonder if it could have been salvaged and re-used in the restoration of another building.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 11:39pm
The left and right sides of the building appear to have been built at different times.
Notice the difference in the brick and also the Revelos signs at the top.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

The Revelos Building is NOT in one of the historic districts. They have no control. Move on, sir.
They absolutely do have control over such structures.  Either read the new law, or read Presta's commentary upon the new law, as he did the legwork for you.
You,sir, should shut up until you know about what you are talking about. Dolt. 
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 11:56pm
I agree with dead man, if the city is so worried about historic "style" then why in the world did they allow this building to be torn down? I mean, it's right next to the future "WELCOME" sign to Middletown once the train depot is back in operation. Yes, sarcasm.

Just to show how ridiculous the city leaders are, they tear down a gas station to "improve" the area, yet they allow Duncan Oil to tear down historic buildings to build some big ugly gas station/convenient store right next to where the old eyesore was.

Can anyone tell me where Duncan Oil has ever built a nice gas station before?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

The left and right sides of the building appear to have been built at different times.
Notice the difference in the brick and also the Revelos signs at the top.

Nice observation!

Notice too, the yellow brick on the left side. Perhaps a former common wall of an old neighbor no longer around? Or the replacement of a common wall that was destroyed when that old neighbor came down..
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:00am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

^^^^^^^^

Look at that detail. I wonder if it could have been salvaged and re-used in the restoration of another building.

Yes, they should have absolutely attempted to salvage interior materials. It would have likely been possible for someone to come in and pay the city a little money to remove them, depending on how much was contained.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:08am

Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

They absolutely do have control over such structures.  Either read the new law, or read Presta's commentary upon the new law, as he did the legwork for you.
You,sir, should shut up until you know about what you are talking about. Dolt. 

It is you who should read the law...discover that it ONLY PERTAINS to the historic districts (South Main and the Highlands). Or, you can just read the second paragraph in the MJ article: http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/does-historic-preservation-commission-have-too-much-power--903290.html
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:12am
The demolition of this building is absolutely in violation of new ordinance 1210.  Financial reasons are no excuse, that is right in the law. Read it! And the entire area IS in the enlarged historic district that goes all the way to the tracks and includes the train station.

The fact is that it doesn't affect their neighborhoods or put any money in their pockets so they couldn't care less about history, and THIS PROVES IT! Those crooks are nothing but hypocrites out looking for easy money and ways to protect their own property values at public expense.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

I agree with dead man, if the city is so worried about historic "style" then why in the world did they allow this building to be torn down? I mean, it's right next to the future "WELCOME" sign to Middletown once the train depot is back in operation. Yes, sarcasm.

Just to show how ridiculous the city leaders are, they tear down a gas station to "improve" the area, yet they allow Duncan Oil to tear down historic buildings to build some big ugly gas station/convenient store right next to where the old eyesore was.

Can anyone tell me where Duncan Oil has ever built a nice gas station before?

I agree and find the entire plan to build a gas station over an entire city block at the entrance to downtown to be disappointing.

My take is that the city has targeted areas that it is promoting historic preservation, namely the two historic districts and the core of downtown between Verity and Main Street.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:23am

The demolition of this building is absolutely in violation of new ordinance 1210.  Financial reasons are no excuse, that is right in the law. Read it! And the entire area IS in the enlarged historic district that goes all the way to the tracks and includes the train station.

The fact is that it doesn't affect their neighborhoods or put any money in their pockets so they couldn't care less about history, and THIS PROVES IT! Those crooks are nothing but hypocrites out looking for easy money and ways to protect their own property values at public expense.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I believe the new ordiance only applies to city designated historic districts and landmarks. The urban design zoning that covers downtown along Central Avenue (which is what I think you are referring to) is not a historic district.

I'm not arguing if the demolition would or would not be permitted under the ordinance, I am simply arguing that the building is not eligible for the historic commission's consideration as it is not in a historic district or a designated landmark.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 12:32am

1210.03 HISTORIC COMMISSION

(e) General Powers and Duties. The Historic Commission shall have the following powers and duties, in addition to those otherwise specified:

(1) The Historic Commission shall conduct a continuous survey of all areas, places, structures, works of art, or similar objects in the City which the Commission has reason to believe are or will be eligible for designation as historic sites, landmarks or districts.

(7) Its unique location or singular physical characteristic representing an established and familiar feature of the City...

Didn't you just mention several " physical characteristics representing established and familiar features" of an historic and unique nature in your previous pity party posts in this thread?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 9:25am
Duncan couldn't pull it off at their prior location at Manchester and Charles, but was able to parlay that junk property into this prime parcel(at our expense--I believe the city has between 1.5 and 2 mill $$ in this project so far with nothing to show for it). So--now our ED Dept. has created two new super-center service station/convenience stores in the old downtown area(still with no other businesses or jobs) and is still begging for a super market(dream on--duh). So--how will this new glut of convenience retail affect Mid-Town Drive-Thru, Rite Aid, D's Market, Casablanca Market, NYC Market and my business? Any impact studies or visits? None my way. I gues we will trade off new low-end jobs for lost jobs in that area.

Duncan asked me to take over their last project--I turned them down because I would have been competing with myself.  If Kasich is elected gov.(good possibility), he says that the proposed rail system will be immediately canned.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 3:59pm
I would have definately paied the city money to salvage what I could out of that building to help with the restoration of my house.The city could make some extra money and I would be able to save some history while I was at it. I was actually looking for tin ceiling like that!! :(

That Bundy building that was next door looked really cool. I wish it was still around.
nezitiC nwotelddiM View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nezitiC nwotelddiM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 7:05pm
I know for a fact that this project is definitely under $600,000.  Not that it is a good price to pay but it isn't our job to make up unknown figures. Here is how I see it:

1. They eliminated a congested property.  (High Accident Area)
2. That eyesore office outfitters is no longer standing.  A business is more likely to buy vacant land.
3.  If the rail does come through we will now be eligible for a stop, having Office Outfitters for parking.( If tax dollars are going to be wasted on a rail anyway I feel our city should definitely be included.)
4. This project will raise the standard for architecture. The Rec. Center architecture was questionable.
5. Having known previous C-Store construction, I know new gas stations have a more appealing design and are more convenient. 
6. The previous gas station was robbed many time and had various other issues that involved the police.    As area business owners know you can not always prevent this kind of thing.

I know that I will enjoy having a place to stop that feels safe and inviting.  I know I don't feel welcome at the other convenience stores downtown. 

Do not forget that this area would have never changed any other way.  No one wanted or would ever want the land the way it was. 

I don't recall any private investors having interest in that area?

Perhaps, this is needed to help other investors feel good about future investments in downtown. 
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 7:07pm
Today

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 7:25pm
I would love to have been able to save that old tin ceiling in this building.

That stuff is worth a small fortune and it looks great in the kitchen.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 11:09pm
I agree! I was planning on doing that in the kitchen and another small room in our house. The repro stuff isn't as detailed as the original tin. I can understand if the place had to be torn down and all...but why not salvage what we could first (for whatever cost). Now it is all going to end up at the dump and scrap yard :(
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2010 at 11:32pm

"Architecture was questionable"???

Isn't that a matter of taste???  Isn't ALL taste subjective???  Some architect somewhere must've thought it was pretty attractive, and affixed his seal--earned through years of study and proven by multiple examinations--to the plans.  And YOUR degree in architecture is from where, and what is YOUR Ohio registration number???

Just as with the color of a house or the type of siding materials, who is to be the judge of proper taste?  Sam, Marty, or the person who plops down the money to buy the property and pays to build or remodel the structure??? 

If there are no restrictive covenants on the deed when the property is purchased, how can they possibly be enforced after the fact???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2010 at 1:22am
Does anyone know how much was paid for these properties? I understand they were involved in a trade, but it would be interesting to find out just exactly how much the city has invested in this project and everything surrounding that outdated train depot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic