FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Councils 4-3 split raises concern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

<SPAN lang=EN>

Mr. Picard is the Council Liaison to the Airport board/commission. Mr. Picard is also an attorney, an officer of the court, which bestows upon him a general obligation, in the complex functioning of the judicial system as a whole, to forge justice out of the application of the law and the simultaneous pursuit of the legitimate interests of all parties and the general good of society.

It is currently AGAINST THE LAW for a non-resident to sit on any municipal board or commission in Middletown.

</SPAN>

Not according to the Codified Ordinance section I posted above.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 6:57pm
SW was this ordinance changed about a year or two ago when they appointed someone outside of the City to the Airport Commission?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 6:58pm
Yessir- that's what it says swohio75. Wonder why the Airport Commission was excluded from an all residence requirement? Are there any other boards that are excluded like this? Was the ordinance written to exclude this particular board? Calling the crack research department to provide answers as only you guys can!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 7:03pm
I was not aware of this!  I sit corrected.  My apologies to Messrs. Picard, Landen, and Allen.

I would delete the inaccurate post, but the forum  will not allow me to do so. 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Yessir- that's what it says swohio75. Wonder why the Airport Commission was excluded from an all residence requirement? Are there any other boards that are excluded like this? Was the ordinance written to exclude this particular board? Calling the crack research department to provide answers as only you guys can!

Yes. The Library Board for one because its jurisdiction also includes Monroe, Trenton and West Chester, and sounds like it is under the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code.

§ 1072.02 APPOINTMENT OF BOARD OF LIBRARY TRUSTEES.
The custody, control and administration, together with the erection and equipment of a free public library, shall be vested in a Board of Library Trustees, composed of six members, who shall be appointed by the City Council in accordance with the provisions of Ohio R.C. 3375.12.
(Ord. 3200, passed 5-23-1956.)

My guess is that the Tax Incentive Review Board does as well as because it involves school districts and there are several school districts (Middletown, Franklin and Lebanon) within Middletown's borders.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 9:48pm
VietVet, what exactly is wrong with being non-confrontational?  Frankly I like that in a politician--give me a cool-headed person over some emotional type any day.  I think we do far better with the elected leaders who are level-headed and not emotional than the ones who try to appeal to your emotions rather than your rational thinking, as Mulligan does.  And I must correct you, VietVet, working in the banking industry does not permit someone to "take off whenever they want."  Quite the contrary, actually. 

Also, in this same article, I found AJ's comment to be irresponsible and factually incorrect--did anyone else notice that?  The tragedy at Air Products was not a result of a lack of training but rather a pretty clear cut lack of execution of that training.  It's basic procedure not to enter a confined space before the atmospheric conditions are established and the firemen--who understandly were rushing to try to save a life--did not do so, and as a result it cost one life and nearly two others.  So AJ was simply wrong about that.  Also, it is very irresponsible for an elected official to place blame on the city while an invesitigation/lawsuit is undeway. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Mtown Mtown wrote:

The 6 or so people that obsess about the city and city council on middletownusa need to get a life. Seriously. The 3 votes that were 4-3 were 2 that raised water and sewer rates. You would expect there to not be unanimous agreement on those issues. The other was on the update to the historic district ordinance. Mr Laubaugh didn't want any historic district ordinance at all. So you would expect there would be disagreement there as well.

How would you middletownusa goofs have voted?
Why don't you run for office. Or maybe you did and were rejected by the voters!
Who are you calling a goofs,you frigging idiot?
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 11:57pm
[QUOTE=accuro]Gulp! Is there a point to be missing? All the above madeprevious reference to Mr. Picard's rudeness. The correlation was the rudenesswas driven by the split vote (Mr. Picard made it very clear he felt Mr. Lambauh was a distraction and taking away from the city's work). Ever take note of the inconsistencies in voting rationale? Its better to go outside Middletown for committees becauseno one is competent in the city to serve? Rubbage.

If there is no one in this city that is competent enough to serve on these committees, why do the members of council who think this, think they are competent enough to run this City???
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 6:59am
Well Voice of Reason, let me respond to your post.

"VietVet, what exactly is wrong with being non-confrontational"- Nothing wrong with being non-confrontational if you can obtain the correct outcome. When Picard and Laubach were going at it, I would have expected the mayor to interject at some point and gavel the situation before it got to the "if you'd just shut up....."comment by Picard. If I were mayor, not only would they have gotten the gavel and a cease and desist, when I heard that comment from Picard, it would have been a public admonishment as well. You seem to want to do it the "kinder/gentler" way. How would you have handled it? Cool-headed/non-confrontational like Mulligan, emotional like Laubach, Smith and Scott-Jones, barely breathing and disinterested like Becker, or totally detached like Allen, I suppose it takes all kinds.                                                                                                                                          "VietVet, working in the banking industry does not permit someone to "take off whenever they want." - Mulligan is a VP at the bank. I would imagine he can come and go when he wants with no questions asked. He attends many events during working hours, when lower echelon workers would be on the job, and seems available for all of them. I doubt very seriously that he is challenged by anyone when he wants to leave for a city function.

The city worker opened the manhole without entering the confined space initially. It was only after he was overcome by the lack of oxygen that he fell into the opening. No one was aware that there was a leak from the Air Products line in the opening. No amount of training could have told him what was on the other side of that manhole cover. As soon as he opened it, that was it. The firefighters, on the other hand, had an indication that the area was dangerous when they approached the opening and noticed he had fallen into the opening. Why they didn't use the proper PPE, especially being aware, is another issue.

Lastly, you talk about irresponsibility for an elected official to place blame on a city while being investigated?- Perhaps, but if the subject is irresponsibility concerning a city official, I can list many "irresponsible behavior by a city official" episodes that have occured over the last twenty plus years. Smith did nothing special nor nothing new concerning city official behavior. This is not the first time this has happened where a city official has "jumped the gun" on the comments. Gilleland and crew do it all the time and retract their statements when what they say doesn't come to fruition. JMO
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 7:07am
As I've been saying all along, AJ Smith is an embarrassment.  Too immature, too mouthy, and too desirous of kissing as much ass as he needs to to get a firefighter position. 
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 7:51am
I asked a council person about the airport commission and I was told that the change was made due to the airport becoming a "regional" airport. That is all that I know. Middletown Regional Airport/Hook Field.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 9:06am
Molly that is like saying:

1)  We hire city employees from outside the city limits so we should have non-residents on the Civil Service Commission.

2)  We arrest people from outside the city and people from outside the city use our Police and Fire Service so we should have non-residents on the Citizen Advisory Board.

3)  People from outside the city build houses and office Complexes, etc. hence we should have non-residents on the Planning Commission.

4)  Many people use our Parks, so lets have non-residents on the Park Board.

ETC., ETC., ETC., you get the point.

It just doesn't make sense, you can say this for just about every commission/board in any city in the area.  Go on down to West Chester and try to get on one of their Boards or Commissions.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 9:57am
Once again--why would anyone living outside of Middletown want to serve on local boards and commissions without compensation? Unless they operate a business within the city.

We have more than enough competent local willing to serve. Bottom line--Council/Admin probably does not want certain qualified citizens to have input and knowldege regarding city policy and happenings.

Look for the 4-3 split to re-surface  on this issue, with no comments or reasoning mentioned by the majority.

hey mtown, SWOhio,SupportM--just where do you serve and donate your time?

Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 12:34pm
Spiderjohn
I don't think it should matter, but I for one born in mtown, started my own business in mtown, raised family in mtown and still live in mtown.

How about you spiderjohn, did you start your own business?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 1:08pm
I am not sure I believe that, A business in this town would not be too happy with the way this city is being ran, as you seem to be.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 2:15pm
why did you remove the post Spider?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 4:10pm
just don't see a need to clarify myself to mtown,, especially when the answers are known.
mtown is here for intimidation and distraction.
If you have a gnat buzzing around you, either kill it or ignore it.
I respect mtown's right to act however chosen, agree or not.

Reminds me of a wonderful Van Morrison song called "Why must I always explain"
My wife turned me on to it, saying that this tune had to be written by me or about me.
The lyrics fit me well, and could have come from my thoughts.
Check it out.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 3:29am
no real surprises last night other than Lenny R embarrassing Council and staff by publicly exposing incompetence and intentionally bad direction.
Mayor's new rules shouldn't be necessary if mature adults were on Council.

Smith was good, speaking much better and on the right side of the issues for the right reasons.
Scott-Jones was silent, while Laubaugh continued to break the issues down to common sense lowest possible denominator.

The "regionalism" logic of Mr.Becker is weak--just read the reasons listed by accuro. Picard's rambling was incoherent and embarrassing. Allen's twisted logic and insincere promise of listening and responding to the public was more window-dressing.

Section 8 mess continues to be a mess.

Another big night for the Darth Vader group and their hit team of out-of-town hired gun "experts".
Next year's commission/board appointments should be frightening with the 4-3 split dominating everything.
1st ? at Monday's forum should be "Who chose Mr.Allen". Let the vote be made public.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 3:55am
Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

Sir or Madam:
Might I suggest that this post is misplaced?

It would be more appropriate in the "City Manager" category under your Topic:  "What has the City Manager and Admin done right?" 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 7:21am
Journal story says council listened to three citizens who were opposed to outsiders manning the boards/committees and then promptly voted to allow it to happen in a 4-3 split once again. Mayor Larry stated the other day that it occasionally happens. Seems more often than not, right Lar?

Checked the current status of all the board/commission members(ie. Golf, Parks, Tree, Planning, etc.) and where they live. Many boards have members living outside the city. Some with 45005 and 45011 zips. Mike "Butch" McKoy lives way out in Greycliff past Fenwick and he's on the Golf Committee. What is his expertise, as Picard puts it, to qualify him for this, other than he competes in some golf tournaments occasionally? Apparently the city has been doing this for quite some time against the rules they had established in the charter/ordinances, right? AJ Smith asked Leslie Landen if the city was breaking the law, and ole' Les, in his twisted interpretation of what is in black and white stated something to the effect that we were "bending the rules" or some bs like that.
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 7:26am
I need to respond to an issue that keeps coming up.  As I have stated in the past, I will not nor can I spend all day responding to blogs but I will to this one.  Reference is made to who voted for Tom Allen?  If my memory serves me correctly, when we voted on the floor, we all voted for Mr. Allen.  If reference is being made to executive session, I would like to know who gave information to the contrary?  I have no problem with justifying my vote on any issue.  I will not discuss any issue that arises in executive session and if someone is doing so, it will be addressed. I raised the issue of the 4-3 because each time I would make a request to look into an issue, four votes were needed and I simply saw a trend of the MAJOR issues.  Things always have a way of taking care of themselves.  As I have stated on numerous occasions, I do not expect everyone to care for me, but I made two promises when I ran for council.  I did not take anyone's money and I have held to my promises.  If you want to judge me for that, that is your choice.  I have three options next year and I plan to exercise one of them.  You all have the option to vote next year.
Anita
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 7:52am

Ms. Scott-Jones,

First, please allow me to express my gratitude to you (and Messrs. Smith and Laubach) for voting in The Peoples’ best interests last evening re: non-residents on boards and commissions. The four votes cast in favor of that question were an insult to the good citizens of this city.

Next, I do spend a great deal of time reading and responding to blogs, including this one, and I am frankly caught off-guard by the comments in your 7:26 am post on this thread. However, I was unable to access a computer for the great majority of the period between September 14 and October 5.

Perhaps one of the other regulars here on MiddletownUSA.com can direct me to the specific post(s) of which you speak??? This would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I look forward to seeing you on Monday, 10/25, at your next Conversation With Council.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:16am
Ms.Scott-Jones--it was me who posted about "Who chose Mr.Allen?", since he was Council-appointed, and not citizen-elected.

Yes--my ? refers to what went on in executive session. I was told nothing about this executive session, hence my ?.

Council could not initially make a choice(surprise!) as to who of the 3 individuals would assume the Council seat. There was a second round of interviews, followsed by more executive session. At that time Council emerged and voted to appoint Mr.Allen. So--obviously some member or members had a change of mind,  or Mr.Allen would have been appointed earlier.
Since this closed-door negotiation has greatly affected how our city operates and exactly who may serve on the NUMEROUS city boards and commissions, I don't see my ? as being out of line. Executive session or not(does everything discussed in executive session appropriate to discuss in executive session?), the public can ? the process.

How you choose to respond is absolutely your option.

By your tone and on-line response, it might be reasonable to assume that you were a supporter of Mr.Allen.
By the unanimous vote  to appoint Mr.Allen, Council is moving in a direction that was clear to be the result of such choice. So--any dismay or concern over the current 4-3 voting blocs shows a clear lack of proper anticipation. I believe that it was Ms.Scott-Jones who recently raised the concern about the now common 4-3 voting split.

Anyone who didn't see this coming was obviously not paying attention.

Nothing against Mr.Allen--he was chosen to vote his conscience, and he is clearly doing just that.
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:38am
I saw 2, 4-3 votes last night. One went the "normal" way and one didn't. (the vote to extend discussions on the board/commission issue).
Anita Scott Jones View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anita Scott Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:53am
Spider and Molly,
Thank you for your posts.  This will be my last post.  This initially had nothing to do with what it is now about.  It had to do with requests for information.  Nevertheless, there was a post that mentioned 3-3 split concerning Mr. Allen.  Was that an assumption?  Spider, I have already stated that all of us voted for Mr. Allen.  It could have easily gone the other way and still be a 4-3 split.  My concern is that it is usually the same.  I will not begin to speak for my colleagues.  If there truly is a divide, then now the public is aware.  If there isn't, then time will tell.  I sure hope some of you will consider running next year. 
Anita
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic