FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allen, Picard, Becker,Mayor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 6:42am
VOR is this why the4 could not handle the cemetery on 1st and had to make a board for that. They may  be good at their job but not at policy making.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:30pm

My last question was for you, Kelly, I realized later that I wasn't clear on that.  And to your point about candidates who are suitable for the '4' on the Board--what if their judgment is correct in most cases? 

I think it is reasonable to assume that these 4, with their experience as attorneys, bankers, and police chief would actually make pretty good selections to most Board posts. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:25pm

Mike, I don't deny that officially the only requirement is "a strong interest in and desire to serve..., etc." but, unfortunately, there are likely to be a number of ill-qaulified people who think they are capable of serving on a Board but who wouldn't do the city any good. 

It wouldn't make much sense to have a form that said: "If you're stupid, don't apply to be on one of our Boards, even though you may have a strong interest in and desire to serve..., etc." 

And all else equal, what would you rather have--an out of towner with specialized skill/high intellect on a Board or a local who is of average (or below average) intelligence but really wants to be on the Board?  I would vote for the well-qualified non-resident and leave it up to Council to have the final say on policy that the Board sets. 

By the way, who was it that told your relative that she could only be on one board?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:13pm
Voice of Reason:
 Let me, once again, paste an excerpt copid EXACTLY from the City of Middletown's actual

"APPLICATION FOR CITY BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS":

Please use the following space to identify any information which may assist the City Council in considering you for appointment, keeping in mind that most of the Boards and Commissions do not require specialized skills other than a strong interest in and desire to serve the Middletown City Government and the citizens of this community.

Please note that the "emphasis" (the underlining) was NOT added by me, but was copied EXACTLY as it exists on the actual City application form!!! 
Perhaps the four council members who insist on all of this "expertise" should direct the "maker of forms" to revise this application form so all of the inept Middletonians will stop applying!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:39pm
Voice of Reason-There are no lack of volunteers for Board posts; however, there is a lack of volunteers suitable for the "4" on the council and Ms.Gilleland. Trust me - a member of my family is on one of the boards and there is never a lack of folks who want to get "on board." Are they experts? No...but then the only 2 criteria for President of the United States is to be a US citizen and to be at least 35 years old...but... I digress.

There was also the instance when this family member wanted to be on more than one board but was told they could only be on one board...period. After research, obviously there are those who serve on 1, 2 and even 3 boards. We did this research a few years ago and discovered at the same time (much to our surprise) that there were several on boards/committees who were not from Middletown Proper.  
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 10:38pm
I realize that there was no requirement of owning a business to serve on a Board, I was responding to Randy's example of a business owner as a person who might be interested in serving on a Board even if he didn't live in the city. 

And then I offered the lack of people willing to serve (who are capable and have the right experience/skill set--not just anyone who happens to be from Middletown) as a likely reason why the idea of opening all Boards to non-residents isn't a bad idea.

Consider this--we pay non-resident city employees (police, firefighters, and others) to carry out the business of the city, so why not let unpaid volunteers also carry out the business of the city? 

I realize that perhaps service on a Board can involve setting policy, which police and fire employees do not do, but the ultimate authority on spending and policy will still rest with City Council, which is (rightly) comprised of residents, elected by residents.  So in this case the final check is with council, where it belongs.  If a knowledgeable outsider wants to serve MIddletown (free labor for the city) then so be it. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:46pm
VOR there was no requirement to own a business in Middletown to serve on Boards/Commissions it is basically open to anyone who wants to be on one no matter where they live.  Also the main Board that was discussed was to have someone serve on the Cemetery Board who is an expert at running cemeteries, as Middletown doesn't have an expert.  I heard no mention of a lack of people to serve.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 9:24pm
It sounds to me like they do this precisely because of a lack of volunteers to fill the Board posts, Randy, not because there are people they are trying to keep off the boards.  Additionally, I would MUCH rather have a business owner, who has some perspective on how to run a successful enterprise (but happens to live out of town) than exclude the business owner in favor of some yahoo whose only credential is that he happens to live in Middletown. 

The point I'm trying to make here is that a person's residence does not mean that they're automatically the best person to serve on a Board, particularly if the MIddletown residents who want to serve on the Board are neither qualified nor competent.  I am not speaking about anyone in particular, just in generalities. 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 5:02pm

Can you explain why you voted to allow outsiders on our broads and commission to have a vote as to what happens in Middletown. After three members of the community stood before you and asked you not to, while no community members showed up in favor of this you still voted to allow tis to happen. WHY? Why not allow them to just be an adviser to a broad filled with citizens from Middletown, why give the power to vote?

Yes I understand that there are business owners that live outside the city and have a vested interest in Middletown, fine make an exception to the rule * If you live outside of Middletown, but own a business in Middletown you can serve on a broad or commission.  You sat there last night and made arguments as to why we should allow out of towner's to serve, but never answered why they can’t just be an adviser with no vote....Explain it!!

It sounds like to me we have a few people already serving on broads and commission that are from out of town, even through our laws say that we were not allowed to do this, care to explain this Mr. Mayor?

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic