FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking The Law..Breaking The Law!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking The Law..Breaking The Law!
    Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 3:58pm
This is taken from the October, 5 2010 City council Mintutes. It is in regard to the chaging of the ordinance that would allow out of towners to sit on Middletowns broads and commissions.

I guess the city can break the law when they want to and it is no big deal.

Mr. Smith said there have been instances in the past where a Council has granted a variance in this current law to appoint someone from outside the city and why can’t we continue to do that.

Mr. Landen said mainly because it’s not appropriate. The ordinance says you have to be an elector of the city.

Mr. Smith said so we’ve been breaking the law.

Mr. Landen said we have been ignoring our own ordinance. 

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 4:02pm
Hey Randy why don't you test this for us and go out and break a few ordinances and then tell them what Landon said and see if you get away with it.................LOL.  I still say this needs a referendum to put it to a vote of the Citizens.

Any word from BOE?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 4:07pm

Sure Pac I will get right on breaking a few city ordinances, maybe I will just print this part of the minutes and carry it with me. I bet that would go over very well. I can think of a few I would love to just over look. LOL

No word yet from the BOE, which is kind of funny. I will give them till Monday and call again, maybe i will just drive up there.

Here is a link to the complete minutes from that meeting.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 5:06pm
Yeah BOE is probably busy with the upcoming election.  I remember Landon saying that about the Boards/Commissions.  It is like the old, Do as I say, Not as I do.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 5:57pm
With that being said by Landen what does that say about him as a lawyer ? Ermm

Wonder how many other things Landen and council has just "ignored" so they could get their way ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 6:40pm
EXACTLY !!!!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 7:20pm
Wonder how many other things Landen and council has just "ignored" so they could get their way?...Hermes

Teacher! Teacher! I have the answer to that question...
ORC 4767.06

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

With that being said by Landen what does that say about him as a lawyer ? Ermm

Wonder how many other things Landen and council has just "ignored" so they could get their way ?

Remember guys if he is a Attorney,Banker,or Police Chief we Ouchare in good hands. Ha Ha
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 9:24pm

The city workers in the city building would never let little things like honesty, integrity, fairness, ethics or justice keep them from doing what they want to do. A hint for members of council, you can always tell if dept. heads and others in the city building are lying to you. Their lips are moving.

Without correcting this problem, it will not matter who is on council. JMO

Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Wonder how many other things Landen and council has just "ignored" so they could get their way?...Hermes

Teacher! Teacher! I have the answer to that question...
ORC 4767.06

Mrs. Moon please remain in your seat and do not raise your hand during class. We are not here to accept answers from the common people. Shocked LOL
Unless you've been appointed to a board or position by council please refrain. LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 1:55am
remember Landon saying that about the Boards/Commissions.  It is like the old, Do as I say, Not as I do.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 8:34am

The whole uproar about non-residents on city boards doesn’t make sense. The ordinance council wanted to change was just a reaffirmation of the City Charter. The City Charter can only be changed by a vote of the citizens of Middletown. Since everyone on council and/or part of the administration takes an oath to uphold the Charter, was this Charter violation incompetence or was it criminal? Once again our city “leaders” will not let the Charter, the law, ethics, honesty, integrity or anything else get in the way of doing what they want. Since there are outsiders on our boards now, that is a direct violation of our Charter. Who is going to prison for violating our Charter? Remember, these are the same fine people that would haul you or I into court over a bare light bulb, a stain on ceiling tile or pealing paint on gutters (whether there is any pealing paint or not).

From our Charter:

Section 260.03 RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT.

Every member of any City board or commission shall be a resident of the City.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 11:48am

Here you go again Nick being a torn in Mr Landen’s ooops again. Clap
Why would he let something like the City Charter stand in his way.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 1:03pm
Nick I do not see anywhere in Articles I to IX of the Charter where it says all members of commissions/Boards must be residents of the city.  I do see in the Ordinances it says this and also where it makes exceptions for  the Airport Commission.

The City Council can change the Ordinances as they see fit can they not.  I am not saying I like it but they can change the ordinances.  The only recourse we as citizens have when this happens and most appear to be against  the Oridnance change, concerning Commission/Board members, is  for the citizens to move to have a referendum placed on the ballot concerning that matter.  Correct.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 7:15pm
Pacman, Look in the back of the Charter under Misc. Section 260 should be on the first page in Misc.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 8:28pm
Ok Nick I must be missing something.  The Charter itself, Section I-IX runs from page 1-15 of the Codified Ordinances.  Then you have Section 260 under the Andminstrative Codes, was it not the Administrative Code section that was modified and not the Charter itself by council:

TITLE EIGHT: BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS

CHAPTER 260: BOARD AND COMMISSIONS GENERALLY

Section 260.01 Required meetings; minutes.

260.02 Failure to attend meetings.

260.03 Residency requirement.

CROSS REFERENCES

Creation of new offices; change of duties - see CHTR. Art. III, § 7

Public meetings - see ADM. Ch. 208

Falsification - see GEN. OFF. 606.10

Unlawful interest in public contract - see GEN. OFF. 606.17

Soliciting or receiving improper compensation - see GEN. OFF. 606.18

Disturbing a lawful meeting - see GEN. OFF. 648.05

§ 260.01 REQUIRED MEETINGS; MINUTES.

All City boards and commissions established by Charter, ordinance or the general laws of the State shall meet at least once every month during any calendar year and shall transmit a copy of the minutes of such meeting to the City Council forthwith.

(Ord. 2411, passed 1-15-1942)

§ 260.02 FAILURE TO ATTEND MEETINGS.

Any member of any City board or commission established by ordinance who fails to attend two successive meetings of the board or commission to which he or she has been appointed shall thereupon be automatically dismissed as a member of such board or commission and his or her office or place of appointment shall become vacant.

(Ord. 2411, passed 1-15-1942)

§ 260.03 RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT.

Every member of any City board or commission shall be a resident of the City.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic