FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AJ Smith talking during council meetings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AJ Smith talking during council meetings
    Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 4:04pm
Ash, untrue. I work in my hotel room, for hours on business. I am away from my family, the same as you. I sleep, the same as you, and answer pages, the same as you. Really no difference. You are expected to respond in the event of a fire, I understand that. Sometimes it very busy, other times it is not. When its not busy, you sleep, and aren't expected to be awake 24 hrs. When I travel, I sleep, but am away from the family. Really no different in my 120 work week than yours, except I get a salary, and no overtime.  
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 1:03pm
acclaro

I realize we are probably playing word games here, but your analogy is way off.  While you may be away from home for those 120 hours, you will only be expected to work during those 40 hours you were paid.  If I were to work 5 consecutive 24 hour shifts at the fire house, I would be expected to work, or be ready to work, for the entire 120 hours.

Ashkicker
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:10pm
Acclaro,

Thanks for being an active MiddletownUSA participant!

Your insightful commentary is valued in clarifying issues for many concerned taxpayers.

Also, your probing questions must be a source of consternation for senior City Hall staff.

Your presence provides added credibility in our mutual quest for  the return of transparent, accountable and cost reasonable governance in Middletown.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 11:38am
Ashkicker, as you take the time to post on the fire department, I certainly owe you a response. My reference was you were using the 24 hr shift to indicate you worked the equivalent of roughly a 54-56 work week. My point was you are at the station, but its not as if you are working 3 triple shift at AK. You can sleep, cook, do the activities when things aren't going non stop. The same holds true for the nurse or doc on call, they have to available to response to calls if they cover a weekend etc. The difference between a 24 hrs shift for firemen is drastically different than a 24 hr driver of a snow plow, working non stop in the specific function. Hence, while using the 24 hr shift, which I understood your meaning, its a different situation entirely than a true 24 hr shift. It would be like to traveling on a business trip, where I stay overnight as a Partner in my firm, as indicating I worked 5 consecutive 24 hr shifts, because I was away from home. Then going to my Managaing Partner, and saying, hey, this is unfarir, I just worked 120 hrs this week, and got paid for 40.

Thx for your responses. 
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:05pm
Mr. Presta,

I should have clarified my answer a bit better.  I guess the engine accompanies the medic to the ER maybe once every 20 runs.  That is truly a guess.  Most of the time the engine is released from the scene after the medic crew decides it doesn't not need more hellp.  Again, the engine is only dispatched in cases where the 911 operator feels it is a life or death situation.  As far as needing an engine company when the medics will probably arrive first is again based on life or death situations.  In a serious situation, two paramedics need help to provide the best care.  In a typical heart attach case we will start an IV, give oxygen, put the patient on a heart monitor, get medications ready for adminstration, take vitals, take information and relay that information to the ER.  While the two paramedics assigned to the squad can do all those procedures, there will be a delay in transport time.  The key is rapid transport after the patient is stabilized.

The reason the engine goes to the ER is continuity of services.  It might take the squad 30 minutes to write the report, clean the clean and restock.  If the engine crew had to wait for the squad to get back into service and then be transported back to their station, that engine company could be out of service for an hour.  If the squad were enroute to drop off the engine crew and were dispatched to another run, the engine would be out of service even longer.

Middletown lost,

I come to this site to answer questions.  I don't come here and start bellyaching about cuts.  Voice of reason had some concerns and wanted information, I tried to provide him with answers.  The statement that we have been cut is a fact.  The fact that we lost a entire engine company is probably whining to you.  What do you tell the citizens that live near the firehouse at Central and Breiel that the fire coverage that used to be one or two minutes away is now five or six minutes away.  If that doesn't seem like a long time to you, try holding your breath the extra minutes.  At the same time time, fire coverage east of I-75 is better with the opening of the fire house on Cincinnati-Dayton road and those citizens have not been in the city as long.  We have lost more than 3 adminstrative positions, we lost nine positions when engine 5 shut down.  I think 9 and 3 make 12.

Call volume double?  Probably.  Do you know how often the PD has other agencies send in mutual aid?  I don't.  I don't see outside agencies within the city very often.  On the other hand, it is almost a daily occurance for the fire department to have to call in mutual aid.  We are stretched thin at times.  Not 24 hours per day, but at some times.  That is not a whine, it is a fact.

Arbitration (I guess you mean contract concilliation) can be good or bad depending on your perspective.  If the City wins at concilliation, you would probably think it good and I might think its bad.  If the Union wins at concilliation you would probably think its bad and I would think its good.  I do not know how many times salary negotiations have been decided by a concilliator, that would be a good question for Les Landen or the Union President.  I do understand basic economics, I have my own household to run.  I cut where I have to and at times spend more on other things than what I want.  Bottom line is you have to do what you have to do to survive.  In this case, our jobs are in the citizen's hands.

Degree, outstanding evaluations and no raise.  Do I hear a hint of a whine from you?

I do think about the city from the public point of view.  I drive the same rough streets.  If I need a police officer, I call the same 911 dispatch center.  I pay income tax just like you do.

I never addressed the police chief position, I can only speak about the fire chief position.

acclaro,

I have posted several times on this site and have always stated the same concerning our 24 hour shifts.  We do not physically work 24 hours per day and have never shied away from stating those facts.  We do rest, sleep and cook on a daily basis, but it is still the most economical way to cover the city.  But what goes along with resting, sleeping and cooking is (Middletownlost will consider this a whine) getting up from a dead sleep and be expected to go a full speed.  All that cooking can taste awful bad after sitting on the table for an hour while we make runs.  Don't get me started on going to the restroom and hearing your unit being dispatched on a run.  Every job has its good points and bad points.

I must admit my ignorance on the last couple of sentences in your post about pagers, amortizing and calculating the wages.  I would appreciate if you would put your point into layman's terms.

Ashkicker

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:24pm
VOR, to clarify, let me re-phase my comments and analogy picked up by Ms. Moon. The city tore down buildings to save maintenance expense. The city is buying buildings in capital, and will be paying maintenance some future date and potential promise, Cinci State will lease the buildings. The difference is the annual expense for the destruction of the buildings in one case, may become the expenditure in the future. The Manchester is a landmark? Then the city should also be buying the Sorg Mansion? Should it continue to other historic sites? 

There is no risk for either Cinci State nor PAC, other than reputation, and if it fails, it will be they tried to help Middletown out. That is even how the Provost at Cinci State characterized the relationship---"we want to help Middletown turn things around. The city is spending funds with absolutely no documented nor attempted ROCD in this venture. I just hope all those new;ly arriving Cinci State students can make it downtown w/o being pulled over for a traffic violation, and have their car impounded. Heard today Middletown is the highest city in Ohio for impounding fees---$100.00, and averages about 7-10 cars daily.

As for the Jug, Dilman's, CSH, that was a statement of where does this end? I'm on record I hope Cinci State is wildly successful, and so many people want to move into the city. Same with PAC. I sincerely hope there are so many buyers out there, the BMW X5's, Saab wagons, and Range Rovers are bursting the streets with pieces hanging out their back-end.        
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 2:31pm

Your city is like going on a date with someone who has low self-esteem and is in desperate need of attention.  They're willing to do anything to get some luvin'.

Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 2:28pm
Thanks, WAC!  I guess if Verdin goes under, there may be a market for automobile hoods at Cohen Bros.Confused
What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 1:59pm
Molly- we were told by the mayor and the vice-mayor that the Cinci State-CIty agreement was a hand shake and done in "gentlemen's agreement style",and that no formal written agreement was done. Lease only, no purchase. We were also told that the city had to purchase the buildings for Cincy State as they were "not allowed" to buy them because the college chancellor  wouldn't allow it. (I think that is accurate) Cinci State had some financial issues from the past and they were playing "catch- up" to be able to purchase more property. This, coming from the Laubach 3rd Ward meeting at Wildwood on the 17th. The question was asked about what happens if they decide to leave when it quit working for them and how would the city handle taking care of 4 buildings that would be vacant with no takers. The response from them was that they felt good about the deal and they didn't think that would happen. Seems to me this is a 99% risk factor for the city and a 1% risk factor for the college. Same with Verdin and his arts center. What happens if and when Verdin decides to call it quits on the arts thing? City will own another building to do what with it?????? If that happens , some folks sitting behind that council desk have some explaining to do.

Might be an awfully high price to pay for a venture that is certainly high risk at best. Guess this council hasn't learned a darn thing about high risk ventures from the past, have they?

What should the city be doing about this situation? Lowering the risk for the city in the use of taxpayer monies for these high risk ventures.  City should have leased these buildings from the Thatcher estate and done a month by month lease  to the college and arts center. Not purchased the building s IN THE HOPE that the deals work out.  Couldn't do that, then no deal. College and Verdin should have been asked to provide some skin to the game. Too skewed to the college and the arts center as to who gets the elevator and who gets the shaft. JMO
Molly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 1:43pm
I hope someone can inform me of what happens to the buildings the city bought, should Cincy State decide not to come here? I don't believe there are any contracts between Cincy State and the city that are binding, unless I am mis-understanding something.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 12:51pm
Ms. Moon and Acclaro,

If the city hadn't torn down the Swallen's building and parking garage (which were blighted eyesores and were producing nothing for the city), how would that have altered the costs associated with the Cincy State project?  They would be paying to maintain those buildings whether Cincy State was coming or not, so why not get them out of the way and clear the way for some development?  The point is that if they hadn't torn them down they would still be paying to maintain them anyway, so there is no incremental additional cost to the city.  Think about this: would you have preferred that they not tear down the Swallen's building and parking garage and instead pay to maintain those useless structures?  What exactly is your alternative?

As far as saving the Manchester--it seems like a great way to save a historic landmark and also satisfy the needs of Cincy State.  And we can argue all day long about whether the city is getting a good deal or not at the prices they have agreed to pay for the buildings, but the fact that the city is paying substantially less than the appraised taxable value is at least an indicator that they aren't getting the worst deal possible. 

And Acclaro--there is a pretty clear difference in why the city would want to buy the Manchester and not the Jug--that being the Cincy State deal.  I know of no community colleges interested in operating out of the Jug.  Do you?  Is this a bailout of the Manchester?  Maybe, but it is my understanding that the Manchester has been losing money for quite a while now, so they could have simply shut their doors if they really wanted to, and it serves the City's purposes quite nicely to obtain that asset and lease it to Cincy State.  You can hardly argue that it's a bailout of the Manchester when there is this potentially great deal for the city occurring at the same time.  A bailout of the Manchester would involve the city purchasing it with no other user in sight.  Then I would certainly agree that the Manchester had been bailed out, but that's not the case here.

One final question for Ms. Moon and Acclaro: what specifically should the city have done differently with regard to this Cincy State matter?  How else could they have convinced Cincy State to come to Middletown without the Manchester and nearby buildings?   What else should the city be doing differently? 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 12:48pm
The essence of governance in Middletown is: "Don't mess with the boss.  She rules absolutely!"
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 12:24pm
Agree Ms. Moon, but the city seems to place certain entities and businesses before the residents. This is reaching serious status. Residents are just getting hammered in Butler Cty associated with mismanagement. Taxes high, cty looking at raising sales tax, to cover mismanagement. When the real estate floor is hit, it will leave many at jarring levels.

What's the hurry to buy? Seems the benefactor is the Thatcher estate, and the historic Main Street owners. Far too many ?'s with no answers, just assumptions and speculation. Wasn't it recent, all teh talk was about the east end---what's perculating out there? The reason for all these emergency sessions is to bypass the time the citizens can riase issues. Same strategy Obama and Company used to cram healthcare reform down our throats.

?????? with no answers. Par for course, but why bother with the public? Father knows best.   

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:38am

Acclaro

It is my understanding that the Middletown Historical Society was offered  Bank One first and didn't have the funds to purchase the building unless they sold the Pickwick Building.
Sooo will the City give this building to the Historical Society later? Wink
Since the City wanted all those poor people out of downtown are they going to buy the US Hotel from the Finkleman family also? 
Lots of questions about a lot of money....

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 10:46am
If I were an existing owner of commercial property, why would I not be offended by the city taking care of one owner, and not others? As spider stated, Cinci State in no rush, why the city---inheritance tax driving factor?

Mr. Becker was one of the biggest naysayers about downtown....but votes a resounding yes. How many staff does Cinci State estimate will be in Middletown? Is this a small satellitte for them, with the city holding the bag for years to come while they decide what to put in besides culinary?

Ms. Moon had an excellent comment: tearing down parking garage and Swallen's building to save on maintenance and utililies but how much $$$ will be expended awaiting the CS move? This has far more $ than answers. Fire, Ready, Aim continues. Is this the advice Mr. Allen would give a client?

Will the city buy the Jug, CSH building, the Moon Adrion building, K Mart, Save a Lot's (if it closes), and countless others? If not why? I just feel "historic row" in play on this "emergency". Better buy now why pricing is low? Serious questions resound on this acquisition as with PAC.    
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 10:06am
Once again--with these pretty much useless/valueless properties having loans, mortgages and back taxes to clear up in the Thatcher estate, and the long time frame for Cincy St. to take possession and begin operations---- why the urgency to once again decale "emergency legislation"?

Why not take necessary time to get everything sorted out and explained to the taxpaying citizens?

Also notice the waffling by Smith,Becker and Allen, who had reservations/didn't agree with buying the bank buildings--but then quickly voted "yes" on the project. Mayor Mulligan's and ED Robinette's explanations on the whole building package and potential usage would be laughable if this wasn't such an important matter/decision.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 10:00am

Another thought is will the acquisition of the CG&E building result in the removal of the tenants, i.e. Casper & Casper law firm?  If they leave town, there goes their tax money.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 9:47am
What bothers me is the appearance or possibility so much of the decisions are made to support the :historical" area of Middletown homes, where Larry Mullligan, his parents, Mr. Kohler, and others reside. Consider if the city did take a wrecking ball downtown? So what? I repeat----what does Mason have downtown, Springboro, or West Chester? Nothing. Its peripheral outliners by 75 and niche antique stores. I think Cinci State will be fabulous if every program they offer in Cinci is offered in Middletown. PAC---I am doubting Thomas.

But, what provoked the rush to save the Manchester? The legacy of Mr. Thatcher, his dream, or the city workers and council members who place protecting their own personal asset interests (homes on Main Street) above other interests? I have no answers, and I am not indicating that to be the motivation, but PAC and a campus within walking distance of the historic row begs the ? to be asked. If the option was A) tear down the buildings or have a LEASE sign, or B) make a deal with limited revenue coming back into the city, but adds assets to surround the historic area, seems a reasonable question to contemplate.

I request the city simply begin to realize its mission: 1) Protect its citizens 2) Minimize expense and uplift efficency and productivity while providing reasonable infrastructure and driving costs down (raising water bills doesn't meet that objective 3) Investments and divestitures made in areas no city should have an interest, or provides a benefit for a few but not majority (golf and airport).

Its the logic of decisions which remain baffling.  
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 9:17am
What was surprising at the last council meeting, though it shouldn't have been, was when it became apparent that the city (Robinette) had not even discussed with the banks whether it was possible to only purchase the CG&E building.  When questioned, Robinette said he would have to look into it "tomorrow" and then some chuckling occurred.  Why wasn't this look into beforehand?  Why was it assumed the gullible city would just buy up all the properties?  I'm not saying the purchase will not work out, just wondering why all options weren't investigated beforehand.
middletownlost View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownlost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:40am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

M Lost- you missed the point entirely. It was about unions, not fire department vs ploce department (which it appears you avor police). I get it on the Chief, but to say senioroty has liitle import, and unionization, is in error. Getting to Deputy Chief takes promotions, politics, and testing, and interviewing. I don't see 70% a high standard to meet, but that's not what determines who gets the position in Middletown---its politics and other factors not worth mentioning.

You reference the private sector, I agree. You missed the point on unions. Look at Springboro: super resigns, as does the treasurer. Treasurer stays 3 months, has a new job in Miasmisburg I think. What would happen in private sector? Start job in 3 months and begin interviewing? You'd be perceived as someone with a past, moving too much, and the odds of getting a job, impossible. With the unions in public sector, you move easily and rapidly. That was the point- unions, and their impact, not who serves the city better, fire or police.

Playing the "card" who is more valuable to Middletown or any community a lossing hand ML.    .
Oh thanks for clearing that up. Makes more sense now. Smile Great points.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:34am
Acclaro,
       You state the situation quite precisely. The risks must be calculated risks. The projects must be neccesary to bring businesses and jobs not amenities or special interests projects in these financial crisis times. Hiring of city employees must be limited and even they and their unions must share the sacrifice. It is all about the use and abuse of taxpayers money. We need a balanced budget not a deficit budget. We need a budget that is not only balanced but has within it a plan to take us to a better level. We have been told repeatedly that soon these benefits and pensions are going to bankrupt the city. It is time for financial discipline on everyones part. We need to become financially sound and concentrate for a few years on infrastructure, public safety and jobs period.
        Paul Nagy 

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:30am
M Lost- you missed the point entirely. It was about unions, not fire department vs ploce department (which it appears you avor police). I get it on the Chief, but to say senioroty has liitle import, and unionization, is in error. Getting to Deputy Chief takes promotions, politics, and testing, and interviewing. I don't see 70% a high standard to meet, but that's not what determines who gets the position in Middletown---its politics and other factors not worth mentioning.

You reference the private sector, I agree. You missed the point on unions. Look at Springboro: super resigns, as does the treasurer. Treasurer stays 3 months, has a new job in Miasmisburg I think. What would happen in private sector? Start job in 3 months and begin interviewing? You'd be perceived as someone with a past, moving too much, and the odds of getting a job, impossible. With the unions in public sector, you move easily and rapidly. That was the point- unions, and their impact, not who serves the city better, fire or police.

Playing the "card" who is more valuable to Middletown or any community a lossing hand ML.    .
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:25am
Good Morning Acclaro,

Thank you for stating the following question in your last  post: 

"What is the city doing to improve the ability for the property owner to protect the asset owned?"

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 8:12am
Ashkicker- I restate I appreciate your articulate communication and devotion to setting he record straight as best you can. To clarify, the 24 hr shifts are such that firemen get to rest, sleep, and are on call at the station. You cook together, which makes the famous "firemen's chili" and other dishes an outcome, as well as forming tight continuity. What about those on call with pagers on weekends, and such---they also could easily amortize the additional hrs and state what you did: adding 16 hrs weekly and calculating the wage per hr looks dismal or a bargain, but its not a constant run 24 hrs non stop. 

I would state as many have previously, there is a need or benefit of evaluating augmentation through volunteers, although I would suggest in arguendo, w/o statistical support as I don't have it, that runs, transporting patients from home to hospital, consumes a larger portion of time annually than putting out fires. I'm sorry but I don't see the analogy in danger. Yes, you get paid to fight fires, and I get paid for other skills, but the danger in getting killed statistically, is higher with a long commute than working in a town the size of Middletown awaiting a fire. That is not to say you aren't respected nor appreciated (plural meaning department and individually). The public sector unions, IMO, have just put the state and country in a pinch. The benefits are great, pay fine, and when we discuss the second job opportunities, it is because the work week is shortened. Many would take a 3-4 day week, such as the nurse who works 2-3 12 hr shifts and gets paid 40 hrs, not bad for time management.

I am not pitting fire department vs ploice, both have a service to perform, and other issues associated with compensation, and such. I also recall the Chief indicating that the department could get by with the three cuts you reference.

Anita-Scott Jones- My issue or response to you is you indicated Middletown had to take a risk and had previously been afraid to do so. I disagree resdpectfully. The city has taken many risks, virtually all failures. The city just doesn't seem to get it. Is it a city that wants to establish itself as a commuter town, or an industrial town? PAC is very high risk, as art just doesn't create a destination in heart nor mind. How about a Children's Science Musuem as many cities have, which draw many (including young professional adults)? What is unique about PAC? Have not its other successes been associated with pre-existing destinations that it leveraged? I'm sorry, I just am skeptical this will be a destination for others outside Middletown.

As for the confusion on the budget, those are legitimate concerns. Why is money flowing in and out of the general fund? What was the 25% reserve so critical a few years ago to protect a bond rating, but not now? What is the city doing to improve the ability for the property owner to protect the asset owned? Why does the city own a golf course, an airport? Is that a tangible asset which a clear ROI can be calculated, or a warm and fuzzy "intangible" one, just like art creates a "uality of life" uplift? is a pool a more appealing quality of life benefit, a bike trail, or an art location? How much do the average pieces of PAC cost vs the art reproductions one can buy at the true destinations locally---the Monroe fle markets?

Finally, I have to ask. Why have not you or any of city council, called for the infrastructure funds to be put back in place, so the streets and repairs can be made. If Middletown is not a destination for home buyers, including those desperately desiring to sell to move to West Chester or Mason, why would an art center? I perceive the failures on council and city leadership to be one of prioritization- it just sets the wrong ones, chronically.

I think Cinci State has > potential, but I see it more as a bail-out of the Thatcher estate, and saving The Manchester from LEASE signs.     
middletownlost View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownlost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 7:48am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Ashkicker, I always enjoy the depth and irectness of your responses. Well thought and articulated.

I have a former Ohio fire chief in the family and was engaged to the daughter of a Chief in Atlanta. State that only that I have a very good feel for the structure and running of the stations and such. Its a moot point for me to bring up anything about collectibe bargaining, runs, and such. The police get far more overtime than the fire department, but the deputy chiefs many times stay where they are to get it, instead of being chief. The perks in benefits are fantastic, and by law, I believe the city and county 9if a county employee), have to pay into the OPERS pension, 20% of salary. That's why the "double or triple dip is so accepted as a cost benefit---pay salary to those already drawing a pension.

The job is dangerous, but so is working at AK or driving down I-75 to get to the office on Vine Street. To my knowledge, I don't think there have been a handful of firemen whom were killed in action in Middletown in a century (thankfully).

I heard a reliable source who owns several gas stations in the area, a city employee in the tax division stated 50% of Middletownians are unemployed. I simply cannot see how these wages and benefits are sustainable in the city, although city hall seems to find a way to always be able to add people, while talking the "tight" talk too often. My gripe about the union is it is a means of advancement and security. Look at the standards to the police chief: seniority and getting highest score with minimum of 70%. That's why neither department wants to make cuts, because it impedes the ladder upward mobility (pardon the pun).

Enough said. Just a suggestion the union head should be looking at the trends and think about serious negotiation, same for police. These benefits and pensions, and pretty nice pay, at six figures in Middletown, is a very comfortable existence. We both know the high % of firemen that work side jobs, or do HVAC. etc., on the days they have off.

Great profession, just like all public sector has become. Man, was I fool to think I'd work for 40 years at my first career endeavor. Today, average turnover top to bottom, in private sector is 3 years. I'll take 30 years and out at 50 any day of the week. Average fed pay is $150 kk. I think you'll see some changes coming in the future, including OPERS raising retirement age.      
Incorrect on the standards for police chief. If you are refering to Middletown, take a second and read it. Its not seniority and 70% passing. You must have a 70% to be considered only. The city manager can choose who she wants if you pass the exams. You must also go through interviews by a panel of police cheifs from other cities and pass that as well. Seniority means nothing for police cheif because you max out your seniority points after like 8 years on the job. Every police chief candidate has well over 20 years on the job.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic