FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SunCoke Plant - Planning Commission Vote - Event Date: Mar 26 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 11:51am
Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 12:12pm
Seems to me, the plant is going in no matter what or how much Frank Schiavone has to say about it.

It's a good thing, too. All I see are positives with this plant.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2008 at 5:37pm
Excellent Blog post by Bill Rogers

SunCoke Plant Has South Middletown Residents Concerned

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2008 at 5:46pm
Council could decide as early as tomorrow, the fate of the SunCoke Energy plan to build a coke plant in Middletown, near Monroe.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 11:25am

This reminds me of a TV show I watched last night. When discussing the rising cost of energy an analyst said This not in my back yard mentality that has been applied to our energy infrastructure for the last 20 years is not sustainable for the country as a whole.

I would say that the same could be said of this Sun Coke deal and the current not in my back yard movement that this project in running into.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 12:03pm
The Middletown Chamber has given FULL Support to the Sun Coke Energy location.

Chamber Urges Support for SunCoke Plant

John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 2:22pm
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2008 at 11:06am

Threat from Garden Manor:

"If you approve moving this property to an industrial use, we will likely move or close." -Shane Craycraft, Administrator for Garden Manor
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 10:46am

After watching the ongoing city council meeting last night as it relates to the coke plant, I was appalled at the arrogance and rude comments of Mrs. Schiavone.  As a life long resident of Middletown, she has never been to Ottawa Street?  Is she better than us that  live there?  Is her crusade only to protect her own "diamond in the rough".  I am a hardworking individual who struggles every day, but I couldn't imagine living in a house with a $600,000.00 mortgage.  How many more people will her husband have to steal from and then leave high and dry due to his inability to worry about paying clients to keep making those payments.  If suncoke bought her property so she could continue living in her rich surroundings, would she still be speaking at city meetings, I think not.  The Schiavones are living in their "diamond in the rough"  at the expense of people who  trusted her husband for legal support, and he took the money and forgot about them.   I feel for the hardworking people who have made this home for their familes, but it seems like poor Frankie and his arrogant, better than everyone wife, are in the same boat as the rest of us now 

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:12am
Interesting to see if Garden Manor now acts upon its threat to leave.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 11:23am
  I don't think that will happen.  I may be wrong, but the time, expense      and trauma on the people of moving an established and large retirement village is a huge decision. 
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 2:02pm
Murdock.

I agree. I don't think Garden Manor will go anywhere.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2008 at 4:55pm

Garden Manor Attorney
John Beagle

Middletown USA

.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 3:01pm

You all might think I am naive for this statement but I sincerely believe that the Middletown City Council came across as very caring and concerned about the outcome of this vote rezoning the Bake-Martin farm. I think council understood the importance of the vote and that no matter how the vote turned out that a lot of people would be upset. And just so you can put me on your boycott list right now I think council did the right thing.

But speaking of upset: Whats really starting to get on my nerves is all these people from Monroe who act like the world will end if they have to breathe any part of the air that we in Middletown have lived with our entire lives.

If air quality is so all consuming and important to these Monroe people could some one please tell me what they have been doing about it before they thought it would affect them? Really, what can you tell me? Because I would hate to so quickly dismiss such a large group of our neighbors as hypocrites who just learned to spell particulate matter when some one told them it was headed their way.

The last thing thats bothering me is the entire Not In My Back Yard" mentality that plagues this entire country. Though I am sure its just human nature, and I admit there are plenty in this world whose shoes I would not want to be in, there are a good number of necessary evils that we must endure to support the well being of the country as a whole.

Besides, if we could push a button and magically move any factory that ever polluted our environment, or cost a loved one an arm or a limb or a life, if we could some how make go away every factory with every smoke stack that disturbed anyones view and lowered their property value, where would we be?

We would be living in the early 18th century with no electricity, no combustion engines, no medical care beyond natural herbs and home remedies, and no internet on which to spend our days crying.

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 4:06pm
  .308  -- I couldn't agree with you more!  Council was concerned, but they  also have to do a job for the city.  They would be criticized no matter what they did.  They sure don't get paid enough to deal with issues like this so I wish everybody who "knows exactly what to do" runs for council because the City of MIddletown will be just perfect
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2008 at 5:40pm
I believe council said and did all they could resaonably. Heck even Tony Marconi showed up at the prayer vigil.

The air quality in the area will be the same if the plant is located where planned or across Yankee, where others have approved.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 11:36am
Matthew and Lori Moore of Niederlander Lane on Sept. 23 filed a suit against the city of Middletown, citing the city's actions in the rezoning were "arbitrary, capricious, unreasonable and unconstitutional as applied to the Martin/Bake property ..."
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 11:37am
"The city is in the process of preparing its responses to the lawsuits," said Les Landen, city law director, who said Bette Ann Metzcar of Niederlander Lane, also has filed a lawsuit identical to the Moore's.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 11:39am
Even Monroe is getting into the act!

The city of Monroe is taking action to make sure that the operation of a $354 million coke plant project in Middletown meets state environmental standards.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2008 at 1:48pm
We all knew this was going to happen.  It is called delay, delay and more delay.  As according to SunCoke if it is not done in 12 months or so they will pull out.......hmmmmmmmmmmm we will see.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2008 at 9:53am
This might just be the case where you can fight city hall.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic