FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SunCoke Plant - Planning Commission Vote - Event Date: Mar 26 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: SunCoke Plant - Planning Commission Vote
    Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 11:22am
Should SunCoke be permitted to build a coke plant in Middletown?
Will SunCoke's plant really product no hazardous emissions?
Will we all have an electric bill benefit because the proposed plant will upload power to the electric grid, thus increasing supply?

Frank Schiavone a local resident whose property abuts the land in question, is concerned about the location of the coke plant being bad for 350 homes, his included.

Will property values for these homes drop by 50%?
Will the health of the residents be harmed?
Will the denial of this Coke Plant location harm AK Steel and potentially create an uncompetitive position that would ultimately put thousands of local residents out of work?

More information: AK Makes the Case for SunCoke

Discuss on The Voice of Monroe:
Coke Plant in Monroe's Backyard 
Council's latest attempt to decrease jobs and increase vacant houses

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:24pm

"Should SunCoke be permitted to build a coke plant in Middletown?"

The question should be " Are we willing to accept the consequences of not permitting SunCoke to build the coke plane in Middletown" ?

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2008 at 4:34pm
Bill Murphy, Middletown's city development director said the potential relationship between AK Steel and SunCoke could make the Middletown AK Steel plant a valuable asset for the company as a whole.

According to Murphy, AK Steel is Middletown's largest employer and contributes to the city significantly in terms of taxes.

Marty Kohler, Middletown's Planning director had this to say"We are hoping (this brings) more investment in the community, stable jobs, benefits to the school district, benefits to the city (and) benefits to the citizens."

"The plant would bring approximately 75 full-time jobs and nearly 500 construction jobs during the 18 month construction period," according to Murphy.

Murphy recognizes that it is important to help people understand that metallurgical coke is a new technology and SunCoke is considered a green energy technology by the Canadian government, according to Murphy.

There are a few residential homes alongside the property where the potential new plant would be located, including the home of Attorney Frank Shaivone who has spoken against this location.

Murphy said that everything will be done to create a buffer between the homes and the plant if city council affirms the decision.

"This is potentially a huge investment for Middletown and certainly we will make sure that we thoroughly investigate the technology and the plant and how it can integrated into the community," Murphy said.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2008 at 4:39pm
March 26th 6:30 PM. Coke Plant Vote at the Planning Commission Meeting

There will be NO PUBLIC discussion. But still please come out and support your fellow citizens in this matter.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 10:19am
I thought with the retirements, employees getting other jobs during the Lockout and not returning and then Management pulling out, AK fell to number 2 behind the hospital. 

75 Jobs on 157 acres seems the city could do better. 
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2008 at 3:05pm
Pacman,

Its way more than 75 jobs, even more if AK can't remain competitive.

We need new tax money coming out of some one else's pocket than mine.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 10:32am
John I am quoting your post "75 full time jobs" this is your post not mine.  I am not counting the construction jobs as they are only temporary.  At the other Sunoco Coke plants average salary was $45k per year.  Personally I would rather have 250-400 jobs paying $35-45K a year on 157 acres than just 75.  Not even taking into account the pollution.

"The plant would bring approximately 75 full-time jobs and nearly 500 construction jobs during the 18 month construction period," according to Murphy."
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2008 at 10:39am
Your looking at $5,000.00 per month in base payroll taxes once the plant is built.  I am not sure of the Personal Property Tax windfall.  But $5,000.00 a month is going to do what?  And that is if Middeltown doesn't give half of that away in the deal.

350 jobs at an industrial park would garner about $221k at $36k per job in payroll taxes. 
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 2:18pm
How many jobs will be created to build the plant? How many jobs would be lost if AK fails to be competitive? Frank is an excellent speaker and makes his case well. I would consider him to represent me if the need arose.

I think there is more emotion and too little facts being discussed on the anti-side. And too many facts and too little empathy on the other side. I respect both sides of this issue. I understand them equally. I also know what the planning commission must do. And they will do it.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 2:23pm
Local IAM International Union Representative speaks in favor of the plant.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2008 at 7:49pm

"Local IAM International Union Representative", hardly an impartial person, you expect him to speak against this plant.....I think not.

The day will come when AK leaves the city and in their wake will be one of the biggest epa super fund cleanups that Ohio has ever seen.  AK is not the future of Middletown anymore.  Its work force has been cut 70-80%.  Its management moved to better digs and a better show place.  We hear the same story over and over, we need this to stay competitive, yet Ak is making record profits and Middletown begs for scraps.

I have no doubt this will pass, unfortunately. 
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2008 at 11:20am
  Middletown needs AK and their Coke Plant because Middletown is dying on the vine!  What about the residents who live in the area where AK is located now?  I have not heard anyone voice concerns about them.

However, "Trial Litigator, Frank Schiavone" as he referred to himself in the planning meeting all of a sudden is concerned about HIMSELF.  I wonder if he were offered an exorbitant amount of money for his land, would he accept it and leave everyone else high and dry? Based on his history, I would say yes.  It is amazing that because his property value is in question, he is in charge of the crusade.  If he worried about his "trial litigation" clients and his other clients as much as he did his own personal self, I am sure he would have a thriving law practice and not one built on taking people's money without caring for them or the outcome once the money is gone. 

If AK doesn't building the Coke plant, will AK leave Middletown (their corporate offices already have)?  What will happen to the ecomony and the families employed there now?  What will happen to Middletown?  What about the retirees and their pension?  Without money, can they still be paid? 

Is this really about the hazard to the enviroment (and the owl/hawk or whatever Schiavones' watch on the land) or is this about his own selfish greed, once again.

Hornet48 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 8:42am

The SunCoke facility will be built, regardless of the shortsighted efforts of the NIMBY group led by Frank Schiavone!!  It doesnt matter what the Middletown Planning Commission does or doesnt do, they are simply an advisory board....nothing more!!  Middletown City Council can approve this with or without the recommendation of the planning commission.  Middletown City Council has the votes to move this forward AND they will!!  Final vote in favor of the project will be 6-0!!  Middletown and most importantly AK Steel need this project in order to remain viable!!

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 9:06am

For the sake of Middletown and all employees of AK Steel, including those who are retired, I hope you are right Hornet 48. 

Hornet48 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 9:29am
What I find interesting is that in 1993 when Middletown annexed Garden Manor, Frank Schiavone did everything he could to have the boundary lines drawn around his property in order to live in Monroe.  Now he wants to dictate economic development policy for Middletown???  Cant have it both ways!!!!
Murdock makes some very good points!  Whatever the Schiavone's are watching on their land, Im sure it will end up being some sort of endangered species, such as a Bald Eagle, ebfore it's all said and done!!!
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2008 at 3:25pm
From what I heard throught the grapevine, the Planning commission was 'impressed' with the facility in Haverhill.

The commission is expected to vote in favor of the rezoning.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 9:51am

NIMBY (not in my back yard) and a Bald Eagle, those are two of the funniest things I have ever seen on this forum.

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 10:50am
  I couldn't agree with you more, but the truth is so funny!
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 12:58pm
Why would I want to listen to some impartial?

Is Frank impartial? I listened to him.

I listen to those who have influence, are affected or have some sort of dog in the show.

Everthing else is just crap.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2008 at 7:11pm
John says,"I respect both sides of this issue",  yeah soulds like you guys respect the other side.

Adios
Hornet48 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 8:51am
Ive never been inside the Schiavone home, but from Route 4 it appears to be quite an estate!!  Given the sudden decrease in value, I'd be interested in purchasing the home!!!  Wonder how long before the 4 sale sign goes up???
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 9:34am
 Don't look for the for sale sign yet, only the great big yellow sign he displays his messages on!  From what I read the "Trial Litigator" is pursuing this within the next 30 days.  We will see if his persuasive speech aka full of sh__" can get him off of ground in this case.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 10:10am

Frank Schiavone was shocked, "There was no discussion!"

Photo outside the Middletown City Building just after the Planning Commission unamimous Vote.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 10:22am

Is anyone else shocked?

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2008 at 10:22am

The white glove test didn't pass the sniff test. But it did get a chuckle.

Perry Thactcher went to the Havermil coke plant with the thought that it would be a dirty, nasty place.He and other councilpeople were given white gloves to wear while they were there."I did not expect to have white gloves at the end of the tour, but I did." said Mr. Thatcher
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic