FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collective bargaining laws up for discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 5:57pm
Why do the Unions say no to foregoing NEGOTIATED raises in hard times? Becaus in good times if they were to ask for MORE than the nogotiated amount , you all would say " you have a contract. what is wrong with you wanting more now? honor th e contract.

Nuff said. Until you all support Unions getting MORE than they bargained for in good times, why in the world do you think they should give now? It is called give and take. all you all want to do is take..

Mr Nagy, I bet if you had a company that had a contract with Middletown to provide some privatization service and City Council ask you to waive some negotiated increase , you would to tell them to pack sand.

Why is it you expect the Unions to do what you would not?

I know....we all agree to some Tax increase to cover half the raises and we then ask to the Unions to cover the rest. How many here would go for that? I bet NONE!

Great character.

It is always about what SOMEONE else can give! That shows great character. NOT
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:25pm
Hey start talking Unions and the loony Union guys come out of the woodwork.  Hey I have no problem honoring the current contract.  I say just start laying off police and fire as was men toned elsewhere on here.  Stop picking on the little guy to support the Public Safety unions.

Also vote no on the upcoming scare fest with the renewal of the Public safety levy.  Don't fall for the Union hollering the end of the word is coming if you don't past the PS Levy.  I won't be voting for it.  Unions cut off their noses to spite their faces just as AK workers did.  Stand fast now and then bitch when the layoffs come, Hey works for me.

The unions have been getting 3% for many years now while the rest suffer.  Time for the unions to pitch in which they won't do voluntarily, so then you must use force, forced layoffs.  If the city doesn't have the balls to lay them off I'll do it for them, just give me the names. 

Good Ole Irisner better to bleed the city dry than take a cut or freeze now.  Yeah that sure makes sense.  Problem with Unions it is always about them and no one else.  Everyone else be damned.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 6:44pm
lrisner,
      You are real good about putting words in peoples mouth about what they would do under purely hypothetical circumstances without any facts to support your accusations.
       No one needs to support unions getting MORE than they bargained for in good times or any other times. Your accusation to the people on this forum that  "all you want to do is take" is laughable in the light of this cities history in at least the last fifteen to twenty years.
          You don't know what I would do if I had a company to provide some privatization and I was asked to waive some negotiated increase. I would do like most principled business people do who have values. I would look at the contract, the circumstances and the need and make a decison that is in the best interest of all concerned.
           I don't expect unions to do what I would not. I expect them to do what I would do.
           You are also wrong when you say,..."we all agree to some Tax increase to cover raises and we then ask the unions to cover the rest."  You are right when you say, ' You wouldn't go for that."  What many of us did "go for" was to vote against the last levy in 2007 because it only gave raises (even retroactively) to police ,fire and all city employees but did not add any additionally needed fire and police employees. We wanted to give more than they were asking for because the city needed it. It was a political football that was all about bureaucratic increases not public safety. We needed more fire and police personnel. I took a lot of heat because I was pushing a larger (but more limited) tax levy. Wasteful is right. We all ned to share the sacrifice.
         Your insinuation about character is shallow and falls short of the needs and economy of our situation and times.
         Please offer us a solution to the problem.
         Paul Nagy 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 7:20pm
Irisner- I have a question for you. I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn something from a union person as I have never worked in a union environment before.

Question: (please don't answer if this gets too personal- I understand)

You obviously have health, dental, probably vision and some type of retirement package, do you not? If so, what is your contribution to these programs out of your wages in percentage? If your answer is that I don't contribute anything, it is all paid for by my employer, you are already light years ahead of most of us. We are asked to contribute more as time goes by to our dental, health, vision premiums and some employers have cut way back on the amount of money they are plowing into ones retirement. That means, if we are going to have a decent 401K at the end of our working days, we will need to have more and more deducted from our pay to make up for what the employer use to put in...if we can afford to do so. Most can't as the wages aren't that terrific to dedicate a large portion to one's retirement.

Question: Have you ever had a year when you got no raise? How about a .5% raise? 1% anytime? I have on several occasions during my 40+ years of working. Just the way it is in a non-union environment and there's no one to go to to "air a grievance" or bargain. You take it and go on because there is no one to listen to your dissatisfaction. OR, do the union folks usually....always get a 3 percenter every year like clockwork that is based on contract negotiations BEFORE the work is actually done rather than on contributions or merit for the year based on work that has BEEN DONE?

Thanks, in advance, for your input if you choose to participate.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:18pm
A year ago I would have been on the opposite side of this argument but now I have to throw my support behind Josh Laubach and his idea .Knowing that the City I worked in was going in the hole and would eventually have to lay off workers and/or cut off services.Wouldn't it be better for the City and fellow employees that make decent wages and have great benefits to take a temporary freeze,every one is getting hit in this economy and a wage freeze would show the public that we can pull together to help this City stay safe.

P.S.

I think that the Police and Firemen here in Middletown are among  the best in the Country bar none and I do not take my position lightly as it directly affects some people very close to me.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:20pm
Good points Vet.  Don't forget the de facto age discrimination in the private sector.  Let's say your hope was to save a max amount in your 401k for your final 10 working years.  Then how about getting laid off at 55 or 60 and trying to find the same work at similar pay.  Good luck!  So not only lose a job and end up taking one at lower pay, but now you can't catch up on your retirement savings.  All while people like Irisner, the pot bellied cops getting Twinkies at Speedway, or the cop at the library who is half-asleep all day don't have to worry about age discrimination or the ravages of the economy.  No no.  Heck, they can't wait to get older because that's when the gravy train really starts!  Maxing out the overtime so that their final pension figures get boosted.  Happily counting down the weeks and months to retirement with no fear of downsizing....let alone no fear of working hard.  Hell, that's for the young bucks on the force.  Don't you see, a job is an ENTITLEMENT and a RIGHT according to people like AJ.  He's learned well in the 4 years he's had a driver's license that once hired, never fired.  Heads, union guy wins, tails we all lose.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:36pm
I think it time for this town to stand up and be accountable for this continous  spending that has this town in a total mess. This police/fireman situation falls in the same category that most of us  have already went thru which is a salary decease or no pay raise.( you make adjustments when this occurs)
I have been in my trade for over 40 something years and I took a $3000.00 lost, but it wasn't because I lost any skills, it was due to the current financial situation that has plagued the whole country. I will be the first to admit that it was a total shock to me and my financial situation
I am sure the argument will be because of the danger of the jobs but that said, I read today's news that the military was going to  only get 1.4 percent raise and I don't think any job could come close to the dangers that these young men face not only daily but every minute that they are working.
I have all the admiration for the police/fire depts. but hard times call for hard decisions.
I also read that just because we passed a levy for these depts recently that the city could use the money for other venues which is a crock. If anyone knows this for a fact,I would like to hear your comment.
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 8:49pm
I am glad that council is taking up this resolution (even if it has no real impact).  The unions have expressed their opinion, now the city government can express its opinion.  I applaud Laubach for taking this up and being willing to make a public point about the issue.   

Did anyone else see the irony in the comments by the president of the local FOP:

" I think without it we are at their disposal as far as whether we get pay increases, insurance benefits or any type of benefits at all.”

Welcome to reality, Officer!

It appears that he is perhaps finally comprehending what 90% (the non-unionized portion) of the workforce has to accept as part of the terms of the agreement: the employer offers you a wage and certain benefits, and you either accept and work for raises (hopefully) or you find work elsewhere.  Very simple. 

It seems that the unions have become so entitled to their automatic pay increases and generous benefits packages that they are vastly out of touch with what most working Americans have had to accept and work with for years. 
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:00pm
If outsourcing works for the United State government ( Wright Patterson) then it will work for local government.
This would relieve the city from paying out high insurance rates and eliminate the cost of these ungodly benefits and vacations. This would save alot of money which could pave the road for this city to  get this town back to a respectable community.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:01pm
Tomahawk outsourcing works in many communities.  The last place I lived used the below service in conjunction with it's regular Medical Service.

Maybe the city needs to check into this service to handle the less urgent calls for Medical Service since the Fire Dept. is constantly mentioning the number of calls for Medical Service they receive.  Then we can reduce the need for 85 Paramedics to staff the other cities after hours where most live.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2010 at 9:18pm
Tomahawk, the danger of the job is rewarded by the early retirement after 25 years and the relatively generous pension and health care. 
I fear there is no one in charge who has the guts to do anything about this.  It is times like this when this city needs leadership that can figuratively crack some skulls and make no apologies.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 9:41am
I really get upset when I hear some of the retired GM employees upset they now pay insurance premiums.  They were supposed to have free insurance.  They also get a Christmas bonus every year - but then I see another family member that did not make it to retirement with GM because they closed down.  Now they work a part - time job barely making it.  I work harder now and make 10k a year less - no bonus.  Unions have really hurt alot of people.  Reality is the economy can not afford to pay increases. 

I do agree that we fire/police have tough jobs.  I do not wish for any cuts - I don't like to see anyone cut from a job or benefit.  But when we all have to tighten our belt - they have to as well.

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 10:22am
Bill, you got this one right. AJ Smith, the only positive reason I am pleased the ward system will go away. Sounds more like a campaign speech and running for harvey's job, than a commonsense approach to govern. The word is 'entitlement' and it will not be given up. No reason to get worked up, this will go nowhere. All the jobs that are open, and the city states they are cuts by not filling them. The only city in my life, that commonsense, fiscal responsibility, and ethics, doesn't have a place in governance. No, there will not be cuts, no alterations, life continues on. Lets just rejoice AJ Smith will be out in another few years. Talk about predible AJ---gee, give it a rest.   
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 11:02am
It appears Smith has removed his little union Diatribe on Facebook, either than or I am over looking it.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 11:13am
You would be correct. His entire page has been changed. I wonder if this just a coincidence??
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mr. Hoffa View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Hoffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Irisner- I have a question for you. I'm not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn something from a union person as I have never worked in a union environment before.

You obviously have health, dental, probably vision and some type of retirement package, do you not? If so, what is your contribution to these programs out of your wages in percentage? If your answer is that I don't contribute anything, it is all paid for by my employer, you are already light years ahead of most of us. We are asked to contribute more as time goes by to our dental, health, vision premiums and some employers have cut way back on the amount of money they are plowing into ones retirement. That means, if we are going to have a decent 401K at the end of our working days, we will need to have more and more deducted from our pay to make up for what the employer use to put in...if we can afford to do so. Most can't as the wages aren't that terrific to dedicate a large portion to one's retirement.

Question: Have you ever had a year when you got no raise? How about a .5% raise? 1% anytime? I have on several occasions during my 40+ years of working. Just the way it is in a non-union environment and there's no one to go to to "air a grievance" or bargain. You take it and go on because there is no one to listen to your dissatisfaction. OR, do the union folks usually....always get a 3 percenter every year like clockwork that is based on contract negotiations BEFORE the work is actually done rather than on contributions or merit for the year based on work that has BEEN DONE?

To answer some of your questions:  Most public employees contribute 10% in to their PERS retirement, with the employer contributing 14%.  What most people DO NOT REALIZE is that public employees have to offset any Social Security with their PERS pension.  This means that if a person worked in the private sector and accumulated Social Security benefits, those benefits will be offset by the PERS pension.  What this means is that public employees who enjoy a PERS pension do not get much at all from social security because of the offset.  MOST people do not this fact!

To answer the second question:  I am a union representative for public employees and i can tell you first hand that there are ALOT of 0% wage negotiations going around.  Union groups in places like Moraine, Springfield, Dayton, etc are not only taking 0% raises, they are taking furlough days and other "givebacks" in order to help the City get though this difficult financial situation. 

How about you s0-called "concerned public" start holding the public officials accountable for THEIR actions.  I see double dipping ALOT with upper management in cities all over the place.  Unforttunately, The public employees seem to be the easy target right now.  Most people who have decided to work in the public sector did so at a lower wage than those in the private sector in order to receive some of the same benefits that you now want to eliminate.  Maybe you should have selected a career in the public service, but since you didn't, don't hold your decision against the employees that decided to be a public servant!

I will be there tonight and i hope to see some of you there, but i have a feeling most on this board will not show up.

Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 2:31pm
I will acknowledge at least  Hoffa got the PERS contribution right. As for double dipping, Hoffa, the public administraors do it as a cost containment method. While I disdain the practice, te rationale is really quite simple to understand. The double dip makes it possible to pay a continued salary so there is no additional 14% PERS match. So, essentially, these IS AN OUTSOURCING model, as the county, city, state, fed, pay a contracted salary, but are not required to match the 14%.

If that is the case, as we know it is, and the justifcation for cost containment (by reducuing the need to pay 14%), the reality is, then its obviously cost effective to simply subcontract or outsource these positions out.

The fed does it, but taxpayers don't realize how lucrative this practice is. For instance, in the MOBIS contarct, which is done with rather senior, Master's level and above managament consultants, a 10-15 year contarct will pay DAILY, nearly $4600. for top tier firms like PriceWaterhosueCoopers or AT Kearny.

I believe the post was doing exactly what you are advoactong, that is, holding city council accountable for bringing down costs through legislative action. I believe 99$ of all who entered the work force 25-30 years ago, knowing what we know, wouldhave entered public service for the security, the double dip, and the perks. By no means, is the pay less than the private sector---the pay on average, is higher in public service, than private. A senior executive would be lucky to get a 6 month severance deal, let along the $100 Kk Plus buyout, for unused vacation.

The clamp must be put in place. Less public revenues means the gravy train has stopped. You telling any of us $150 kk in Butler Cty isn't providing a nice lifestyle for the large numbers making this amount? Same with the public sector college profs and administrators. Outlandish for limited or no acccountability and lifetime job security.        
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 2:55pm
Mr. Hoffa States,

"To answer the second question:  I am a union representative for public employees and i can tell you first hand that there are ALOT of 0% wage negotiations going around.  Union groups in places like Moraine, Springfield, Dayton, etc are not only taking 0% raises, they are taking furlough days and other "givebacks" in order to help the City get though this difficult financial situation."

To that I have to say so what.  Many in Middletown have lost their jobs, many other have taken PAY CUTS and still many others haven't seen a .5% pay raise let alone 3% in years.  Middletown Public Safety employees haven't seen 0% since I have been in this town and I don't remember them getting below 3% in any year.  When the .25% Public Safety levy was past some got up to 5% I believe.  In Middletown if you told them 0% they would say fire the Secretaries and give us a raise, that is just the way they are.  It is all about them and screw the city and it's residents.

Only would Union employees faced with, take a 0% raise or be laid off, dispute it to conciliation and get the raise then be laid off.  That is the mentality of AJ's qualified Union employees.  Whereas the average person would fore-go the raise and keep their job and be thankful in these times.  Unfortunately Unionized employees have come to feel they are entitled at every bend in the road and the rest of us are just here to make them comfortable and happy, what a mind set.

Mr. Hoffa View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Hoffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 4:13pm
[QUOTE=wasteful]Mr. Hoffa States,

"To answer the second question:  I am a union representative for public employees and i can tell you first hand that there are ALOT of 0% wage negotiations going around.  Union groups in places like Moraine, Springfield, Dayton, etc are not only taking 0% raises, they are taking furlough days and other "givebacks" in order to help the City get though this difficult financial situation."

To that I have to say so what.  Many in Middletown have lost their jobs, many other have taken PAY CUTS and still many others haven't seen a .5% pay raise let alone 3% in years.  Middletown Public Safety employees haven't seen 0% since I have been in this town and I don't remember them getting below 3% in any year.  When the .25% Public Safety levy was past some got up to 5% I believe.  In Middletown if you told them 0% they would say fire the Secretaries and give us a raise, that is just the way they are.  It is all about them and screw the city and it's residents.

Only would Union employees faced with, take a 0% raise or be laid off, dispute it to conciliation and get the raise then be laid off.  That is the mentality of AJ's qualified Union employees.  Whereas the average person would fore-go the raise and keep their job and be thankful in these times.  Unfortunately Unionized have come to feel they are entitles at every bend in the road and the rest of us are just here to make them comfortable and happy, what a mind set.

Don't forget, only the safety forces have conciliation.  Public Works employees' do not.  I have many bargaining units that have not received a raise in several years either.  Gotta go to the meeting, see you there.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 6:26pm
After listening to the threats by these Union Thugs I say just start the layoffs.  The unions understand one thing layoffs.

Personally I found the innuendos and talking down to Mr. Laubach, the name calling and threats despicable by those, all of whom were Union members, most who do not live in Middletown, don't pay the taxes in Middletown, can't vote in Middletown, don't support Middletown in anyway and are only in this for the support of unions.

Mr. Smith you should control yourself when supposedly representing the citizens of Middletown your clapping and cheshire grin did you no favors on TVMiddletown.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:34pm
Thank you Mr. Hoffa for the responses. Now, you mention that most public employees contribute 10% to PERS while the employer contributes 14%. I am in a 401K and can contribute )0-5%-10% or 15% with my employer contributing a matching amount.(They still put in even if I contribute 0) Your plan sounds better contributing 10% and the employer more at 14%.

You can't use the Social Security thing on private people as they are forced to contribute each paycheck through non-voluntary contributions. When I retire, all I'm getting back is my own money I have contributed each payday for 50+ years. I've paid my own way in retirement. More if I croak early on. I have paid for 50 years, but probably won't live long enough to collect all of it. Most don't.

You're right on the double-dipping scumbags. The public is surely irate about it...just not enough to demand a change. Public officials retiring and being rehired in some other capacity, school supers retiring and then becoming re-employed in the same job or area of expertise... shouldn't be allowed to happen. Once they're gone, they should stay gone.

Oh, that thing about union people in surrounding areas getting 0% raises and taking furloughs and other "givebacks"? Hasn't even been talked about in Middletown by the unions and until it is, it's not a viable topic to offer here for discussion. We have had no indication that the Middletown unions are willing to take 0% or any other meaningful concessions that I'm aware of. Could be wrong. Anyone know of any?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 7:37pm
Can't wait for the movie on TV Middletown wasteful, Who did the namecalling, what did they say and how was it answered? Threats? As in personal threats at a public meeting? Need to watch one's mouth when it's public.

Did the union boys win or is it "to be continued"?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 8:51pm
No personal threats the usual Union talking points.  We have 600 members in Middletown and we can..........  The unions failed to get the point of the Resolution and took the resolution as a threat to there little fiefdom and they weren't happy.  The guy I think from Dayton and his condescending talking toward Laubach was the worst if you ask me.

Almost none of them were from Middletown.  Yet Smith was in heavan, surprised he didn't given them a standing ovation and give them a key to the city.

After this little show don't come knocking on my door asking for support for the Public Safety Levy.  If I have to go out and get a Concealed weapons Permit so be it.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 8:53pm

Thank you for asking. You show some class by asking a liget question. In all honesty, most on here just want what they want and will justify their position by any means.

Mr Nagy, you could not be more wrong. You have always seemed to be reasonable and I will assume your comments here are for being uninformed. MOST on this site are uniformed on Labor matters. Wasteful and Pacman are so out of the info loop, they might as well be 1st Graders trying to do Astro Physics.

As to the question of what I contributed from my pay. Nothing because it was a non-contributory Plan. That is something laid out by Law. It means that the Employer pays on the behalf of the Employee. Now, if you all will put your thinking caps on and forget the angry emotion you usually use to decide an issue, you will remember in Economics, the TOTAL Labor cost is what matters. If an Employer is paying x number of dollars on an Employee's behalf, guess what? The employee has LESS chance of greater raises because of that existing cost.

I tried to educate some before about total labor cost but they only want to hear what they want to hear.

Who cares if the employer pays or the employee makes MORE in pay and pays the bens themselves. What difference does it make? NONE!

As to the AK reference, you probably STILL think it was strike. Many do and are stupid for doing so. Do you know ANYTHING about the issue. Obviously not, or you would not have made the reference.

The jist of this issue is the fact that labor laws have systematically been altered in the past 25 years to be very unfair to the Worker. Companies now get better Deals with their Unions now because they can be UNFAIR. This is about the City not liking the fact the fact that disputes are decided by an Abitor and they do not have the same option of unfairness to use against the Union the way the Private Sector does.

Also, have I never had a raise? Hell yes, many Contracts. We gave BACK on one Contract and Waived raises on two others. One of the raises waived Contracts was in trade for Pension Contributions.

DUH! So I have never contributed? I have contributed a lot!

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2010 at 9:02pm

Thank you Mr. Hoffa for the responses. Now, you mention that most public employees contribute 10% to PERS while the employer contributes 14%. I am in a 401K and can contribute )0-5%-10% or 15% with my employer contributing a matching amount.(They still put in even if I contribute 0) Your plan sounds better contributing 10% and the employer more at 14%.

You can't use the Social Security thing on private people as they are forced to contribute each paycheck through non-voluntary contributions. When I retire, all I'm getting back is my own money I have contributed each payday for 50+ years. I've paid my own way in retirement. More if I croak early on. I have paid for 50 years, but probably won't live long enough to collect all of it. Most don't.

You're right on the double-dipping scumbags. The public is surely irate about it...just not enough to demand a change. Public officials retiring and being rehired in some other capacity, school supers retiring and then becoming re-employed in the same job or area of expertise... shouldn't be allowed to happen. Once they're gone, they should stay gone.

Oh, that thing about union people in surrounding areas getting 0% raises and taking furloughs and other "givebacks"? Hasn't even been talked about in Middletown by the unions and until it is, it's not a viable topic to offer here for discussion. We have had no indication that the Middletown unions are willing to take 0% or any other meaningful concessions that I'm aware of. Could be wrong. Anyone know of any?

Layoffs are a legitimate option. I see nothing wrong with that if the City thinks it needs to do that for Budgetary reasons.

Shocked I might with you?  It is called Logic and principal. That is when the mind is used to decide an issue without any thought of how the answer may or may not effect the thinker.

You, my friend , have neither. you are a purely self centered person who cares nothing for reason and considers the impact on you first and foremost regardless of the overall impact.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic