FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Courses!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Courses!
    Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 10:08am
From today's Journal....."One of the new classes, called Junior/Senior Decisions, is a semester elective course that gives juniors and seniors an opportunity to fill out college applications and financial aid scholarships. Students also will investigate grants and loans while discussing dorm life". What?   This is actually a class where a student receives graduation credits? Couldn't the student who is planning to attend college get this information on their own without taking up class time? This type of info. has been obtained for decades without creating a special "how to do it" course, right? How much time will it take to gather this information as opposed to the amount of time assigned for completion? Will it actually take that long to do this?

"Other new classes include journalism, fitness and nutrition....."- Journalism fitness and nutrition?????

"In turn, a new calculus class, along with a course about the history of mathematics, will be offered". History of mathematics?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 10:37am
Hmmmmmm when I was in school we did this at home on our own time and we didn't have computers to help us.  If you are College material you should be able to get this done on your own time and take a more useful elective.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 11:36am
You two girls really amaze me. The schools cant do nothing right in your eyes. Did it ever occur to you that these classes are being put into place to help those syudents that excel on their own, but have no parental involvement? Unlike the dinosour age when we went to college when forms were simple, they are very complicated when it comes to grants and student loans. I applaude the efforts of those involved to help these students. Maybe now some kids will have the opportunity to go college that didnt in the past! Clap

By the way girls, try some Midol, maybe you will see things in a different light!Thumbs%20Up
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 11:48am
Old Lady, if kids don't go to college because they don't have enough initiative to either fill out the forms themselves or get the proper help I would say maybe they are not ready to go to college.  By the way Old lady it is called growing up and that seems to be a big problem for kids today because someone has to constantly hold their hands.  You might want to try a little Hormone therapy for you menopause there...you know those hot flashes that cause you to spout off at the mouth like you do.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2010 at 11:57am
I don't know Old Lady looking at the Federal Grants available most have plenty of help and toll free numbers that will help you fill out the application if needed.  Damn I didn't have that back in the stone age.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Smartman Smartman wrote:

You two girls really amaze me. The schools cant do nothing right in your eyes. Did it ever occur to you that these classes are being put into place to help those syudents that excel on their own, but have no parental involvement? Unlike the dinosour age when we went to college when forms were simple, they are very complicated when it comes to grants and student loans. I applaude the efforts of those involved to help these students. Maybe now some kids will have the opportunity to go college that didnt in the past! Clap

By the way girls, try some Midol, maybe you will see things in a different light!Thumbs%20Up

Congratulations,

You're about (about) as ignorant as the fine members of our school board!
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Old Lady, if kids don't go to college because they don't have enough initiative to either fill out the forms themselves or get the proper help I would say maybe they are not ready to go to college.  By the way Old lady it is called growing up and that seems to be a big problem for kids today because someone has to constantly hold their hands.  You might want to try a little Hormone therapy for you menopause there...you know those hot flashes that cause you to spout off at the mouth like you do.

College degrees use to be something.  They're now worthless pieces of paper due to the fact that everyone (and their brother) is pushed through and made to graduate.

The world needs ditch diggers too (Smartman)... Confused
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2010 at 1:21pm
Girls????? Nice shot Smartman! You clever jokester you! You are right about your statement that the schools can do nothing right in my eyes. Just responding to the info. that is placed in front of me, oh defender of complacency. Let's see, Smartman, our very own Miami U.- Middletown has been required to start remedial courses because the very same kids who graduate from Midd. and other high schools aren't prepared to start the freshman year of college. We won't even get into the depressing discussion of the proficiency test scores again. Just today, there is an article addressing this non-preparation issue with the colleges and the unprepared students the high schools are sending them. Sounds like an indictment on the underperformance of the high schools in the preparation for college, how about you? Sounds like the high schools need to get on the same page as the colleges as to what is required and make some changes, 10/4?

You say the forms are very complicated for the kids to get through? How about those engineering, bio chemical or molecular biological courses they will have to take to graduate? If they can't figure out how to fill out some informational forms for student loans and grants, doesn't that tell you something about their abilities to get through the common curriculums and advanced courses in most colleges? (Another example of holding the younger people's hands if things are perceived as being a little too tough for them). We really have to stop this notion of preventing them from learning on their own and teaching them to stand on their own two feet. You know as well as I that life can be a bi--- and they must learn to deal with it. Smartman, IMO, we are not preparing them for the cruel old world out there if we keep this "cottling" crap going.

Hey! This girl can't take Midol. Makes me irritable and grouchy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic