FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This week's newsletter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This week's newsletter
    Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 7:36pm

I offer, for your consideration, a few excerpts from this week’s City Manager’s newsletter:

“While we are working as quickly as possible to complete the financial picture for the Cincinnati State project, it may be several months to a year before we see the hotel open again. “

“Other Cincinnati State Buildings

Work continues on the buildings that were purchased to be used as part of the Cincinnati State project. … The heat failed in the CG&E building over the Christmas holidays and repairs are being made to restore full heat to the building.  Most of the buildings have tenants, either paying or non-paying.“
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Most of the buildings have tenants, either paying or non-paying.“

If tenants are not paying rent, it was due to an arrangement with Perry Thatcher and/or his estate.

The one organization that comes to mind is the Art Central Foundation, which has been operating out of the old Masonic Temple.

Major occupants of the CG&E building are The Middletown Journal, Casper and Casper, and other small law offices. Likely all paying rent. I don't know the occupancy rate of the building, however.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 4:58am

I give all due respect to the late Mr. Thatcher and his philanthropic activities, which I admire greatly.

However, it is not a legitimate purpose of municipal governments to confiscate taxes from the working poor, those on fixed income, and other struggling citizens of their municipality in order to provide free goods and services to the arts community.

Therefore Arts Central Foundation, and any other similar organization, must quickly make arrangements to begin paying fair market rates for city-owned real estate, or find new digs.

Perhaps you, SWOhio, and the other patrons of the arts in Middletown who seem to like to act as if they are in a socio-economic class above the majority of the citizenry, should contribute to organizations such as Arts Central Foundation at a higher level???  I am certain that the Arts Central Foundation would welcome YOUR increased endowment!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 6:21am

It has been brought to my attention by rumormongers and other purveyors of gossip and innuendo that there is an abundance of un-booked space available at the Pendleton Art Center.

Heaven only knows that Mr. Verdin owes a debt of gratitude to the arts community of our fair city. Perhaps he would be so kind as to accommodate the good folk at Arts Central Foundation.

That is the least that he could do in return for foisting the "junk as art" scam on the local rubes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic