FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surprise, surprise!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprise, surprise!!!
    Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 5:18am

From today's Middletown Journal:

Council members will discuss the 0.25 percent income levy set to expire at the end of 2012 during is work session today.

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer

3:03 AM Tuesday, February 8, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — How would Middletown’s police and fire departments use revenues from the public safety levy if the issue is placed back on the ballot?

That will be a main topic of discussion at the Middletown City Council meeting today beginning at 5:30 p.m. A presentation on the public safety levy will be held during council’s newly created work session — an untelevised hour-long informal meeting to be held monthly.

The 0.25 percent income levy is set to expire at the end of 2012. The tax is to help fund police and fire department operations. It was meant to generate about $3 million annually, but lower revenues due to the recession put that number at about $2.5 million, according to Police Chief Greg Schwarber.

Council members had asked at their annual retreat last month for more information from each department regarding the need for the levy — as well as the logistics for how and when it can be placed on the ballot.

Public safety services make up about $21.7 million of the city’s $30.5 million budget, according to city records.

In addition, council also will review how a 20 percent reduction citywide will affect services.

With cuts looming from major state revenue streams, council asked each department to plan for a 20 percent budget reduction in 2012.

City Manager Judy Gilleland said during the work session that she will present the numbers to council and explain how such cuts could affect the city.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, folks, There you have it!!!

I tried to warn you but no one seemed too concerned.

If you look for this item on the agenda for LAST WEEK’S meeting (Remember, this meeting was postponed due to weather!!!) all you will find is the rather innocuous sounding item:

“• Public Safety Levy Follow-Up from Retreat”

City hall’s willing accomplices at the local newspaper sat on this until 3:13 AM this morning, the very morning of the meeting. I guess that it “just came across the wire” in the middle of the night!!!

Who knows what actually is up for discussion under these other items scheduled for the semi-secret, non-televised work session:

• SR122 Plat Dedication

• Lefferson Road Street Improvement Discussion

• Budget Follow-Up from Council Retreat

• Parking Garage Demo Follow-Up

• Road Salt

• Misc.

My guess is that it will be whatever ELSE they are too AFRAID or too ASHAMED to discuss in the open in the clear view of the TVMiddletown cameras and the citizens (and especially the VOTERS) of Middletown.

Well, I can’t attend. My first obligation tonight is to attend the Central Committee meeting to perform my elected duty of helping to choose a new County Prosecutor.

We know that we cannot rely on our local newspaper for a complete and accurate report of the goings on at city hall tonight. So, since no one else seems interested, I guess that we’ll never know what transpires at Donham Plaza during this little skull session.

Then again, I think I remember some of these same politician telling us that they are proponents of “open government”!!!

I guess we can rely on them to tell us exactly what went on, right Bonzo???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 5:44am

Lest I get into trouble, let me make it perfectly clear that NO members of council or staff are intended to be portrayed in the above post!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 6:39am
Mike- we discussed, at length, the safety levy starting on 23 Jan titled "Safety Levy is on the way" under the city income tax section. We knew this was on the table. Now, we know the 's are intending to stick us with another tax to maintain their 21 mil level in the city budget. Incredible that this encompasses most of the city budget. The costs have gotten way out of control in this area.

The picture was clever, but I was thinking a picture of some happy clowns would better exemplify who we have running the city.   

Randy- time to get the camera cranked up and record some of this "secretive" safety levy crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic