FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Armco Park in Talks with Warren County

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armco Park in Talks with Warren County
    Posted: Apr 11 2008 at 3:41pm
Armco park is home to a 3700 yard golf course, 33 shelters with 300 picnic tables, softball, boat dock on a 1.25 Mile 125 Acre Lake, pavilion and more.

Warren county parks wants this park and is currently in negotiations to acquire Armco Park according to county commissioner, Pat South.

This was mentioned in passing during yesterday's "State of the County" presented by  Warren County Commissioners, Pat South and and Dave Young.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2008 at 4:39pm
I believe I read a few months ago that AK Steel was either selling or has already sold Armco Park to land developers, as a site to build a housing community.

Shame, I used to go there often for family occasions.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2008 at 9:50am
The news I heard last night, if I heard it right ( I was in the other room ), was that it's a done deal.
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2008 at 9:40am
This was in last weeks Western Star. Warren County purchased the whole park for like $4 million. There will no longer be membership for the park, it will be free to enter.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2008 at 10:33am
Bwood,

When will the free admission start? Do you have to be a resident of Warren county?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Ernie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2008 at 10:39am

Warren County paid 1.4 mil along with Turtle Creek 1 mil., Otterbein 1 mil., and a state agency 1 mi. for a total of 4.4 mil. Something isnt right here. Many years ago Armco now Ak purchased the land and made their employees a park asking for $2.00 a pay check. Back then Armco had several thousand employees. Thinking about this, back then Armco was a family work place. Employees were thought of as assets or the backbone to the company. All appreciated the park. Over the years things have change, oh my how things do change. The park has now been sold but not to the employees who wanted to purchase it. When government, be it state, or county creates parks...along comes problems. We all have seen it. AK Park did not have these problems of vagrants, drugs, and pedophiles. Armco families unlike some citizens looked out for each others safety at the park. I wonder if AK looks at Middletown the same as they look at their employees. It appears to me they do. As time goes on you will see AKs true appreciation for the people that have sacrificed so much to help AK be what it is today.  

Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2008 at 10:50am

It sounds like it will be free to anyone. Armco has the lease until March, though.

Here's what was in the Cincinnati Enquirer-

Quote The future use of the parkland is a matter of debate. Some officials see Armco park as becoming Warren Countys version of Hamilton Countys Sharon Woods. Others however say the land would be ideal for a $57 million sports complex proposed two years ago by tourism boosters and others.

HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2008 at 2:37pm

Hopefully the park will not become a sports complex.  We do not need another one.  We do need a park for our families.  We are always complaining that there is no place to go locally, well here it is.  Let's keep it that way.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2008 at 2:53pm
You got that right!

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Ernie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 11:41am

From the day Warren County along with the other 3 agencies said they wish to buy the park, they have 90 days to evaluate the land, all of the materialistic items on the land, the partial control Shaker Run golf course has with some of the land and a mile long list of other issues before they  can be closed the deal. As for how the park will be ran would depend on how much the county will be willing to spend to operate it. I believe the park will model its self the same a Sharon Wood does.

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2008 at 11:50am
Thanks Ernie for the update.

Sharon Woods is a nice park. I really like their golf course too.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic