FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things Are Heating Up On Council

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things Are Heating Up On Council
    Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 10:51pm
By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 9:35 PM Tuesday, February 15, 2011

MIDDLETOWN — A leadership shake-up is brewing on City Council after the vice mayor asked to step down from her position and the Mayor publicly asked another member to resign.

Mayor Larry Mulligan asked 2nd Ward Councilman A.J. Smith to resign Tuesday, stating that his recent actions to not abide by the rules of council.

He said he was troubled by the latest report printed exclusively in The Journal regarding Smith’s alleged failure to file his campaign finance reports. A hearing has been set before the Ohio Elections Commission. By failing to file the reports on time, Smith could be fined $100 a day. To date, he owes more than $42,000, according to state officials.

This news comes on the back of several incidents involving police. In July, Smith was cited for disorderly conduct, at his insistence, for his involvement in an altercation between his younger sister and two other women. That case was dismissed prior to trial. More recently, Smith was accused of stealing a beer from the Applebee’s on Towne Boulevard, but that turned out to be a misunderstanding. No charges were filed in that case.

Mulligan said he was “troubled to a degree” that he had to address these incidents with a councilman. Smith sat stone-faced as Mulligan said he needed to “seriously evaluate your future on council” and stated he should resign because the people he represents deserve a councilman who can “control their actions.”

“Respect cannot be taken by force,” Mulligan said. “We are not the law. We are not above the law. We are given the charge to uphold the law and therefore must hold ourselves to a higher standard.”

Smith said he was not expecting Mulligan’s public sanction, but in turn he also was not surprised. He added that he does not intend to resign.

“I’ve done nothing wrong,” he said, “The mayor is certainly entitled to his opinion, but 72 percent of the 2nd Ward thought I could do the job and I’m here doing the job.”

Also at the meeting, Councilwoman Anita Scott Jones asked members of council to allow her to step down as vice mayor due to “personal educational obligations” that would prevent her from attending many public functions. Since January 2009, Jones said she had attended 182 functions as vice mayor.

Taken from the Middletown Journal
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Second Ward Resident View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Ward Resident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 11:01pm
I live here in the dirty ward two, and I voted for Aj, as did many that live here. That being said, I would not vote for him again. And I would bet that many wouldn't. It is sad that we put our faith in this young man and all we get in return is constant police run ins and other negatives in the paper.

Please do us a favor and step down, let someone that really cares about us in the second ward take over.

YOU SUCK!!!!
Chief Whatdahey View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chief Whatdahey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 12:17am
..." I've done nothing wrong". That quote from Mr. Smith says it all about his attitude, ability, and sense of entitlement! Consider resigning. Mr. Smith. You are doing a disservice to your constituents and the city by staying. Your position is not about you, but those you are sworn to serve.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 6:22am
If Smith steps down or is forced to step down, does council get to choose his replacement or does it go before the people in the 2nd Ward to decide? If council gets to choose, it will sway the balance of power even more in the direction of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalyse. Picard, Becker, Allen and Mulligan are going to choose another "Allen" type of rubber stamper to strenthen their power block. That will leave Scott-Jones and Laubach as the only ones who wish to represent the people. Is it really Smith's behavior that has Mulligan's shorts in a wad, or is it being used to skew council's power even more?
nexus View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:22am
I think everyone should put the allegations in perspective as I read what AJ Smith has been accused. It would appear to most who reason, he did file the appropriate paerwork with the Ohio group that oversees money spent on an election properly. That is an allegation. Then. AJ Smith is thrust in a position he and his treasurer, who many have no idea who that individual to be, is in a position to have filed the appropriate balance sheet, showing AJ Smith spent X $$$, or has $$$ left in an account.

Its like the state of Ohio's Taxation Department; you can file your taxes, they loose them or don't have a copy, and they will re-create your taxes with no deductions, and show you owe 20X more than you do, without anything to go one. I suspect that is what happened in Smith's case.

Therefore, I actually find it rather hypocritical from other allegations I have read, coming from Vivian Moon and others, that Larry Mulligan asks Smith to resign on allegations, without a hearing conclusion, which will be scheduled, while Robinette in planning, is taking "kick-backs" from vendors, and the city was still planning on hiring him back as a consultant. Its't that odd? And I admit, I have no knowledge of Robinette did or did not, accept money from vendors or other misdeeds, simply repeating what has been stated in this forum.

While I think Smith's actions with the union workers was cowardly and self serving, I find it ironic Mulligan did nothing then, but now is asking for his resignation based upon allegations.

As I see it, all Smith needs to do is have his treasurer provide the proper accounting associated with his campaign funds, and its over. If he took money from the funds, I assume that is a serious offense, although at the fed level, they can do just about anything they want to with contributions.

So the irony is, Mulligan asks for a resignation on an allegation, and I have read serious allegations on Robinette, that are deeply troubling if true. Until proven guilty, an individual is innocent. If Smith gets the campaign statement in timely, this uproar is really nothing. I question why now, Larry Mulligan is going after him, before a hearing, when the other incidents were troubling. Seems guilty before a hearing is a dangerous place to be with city council. Wonder of council dug this up, and flung it to the state?    
My Two Cents View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My Two Cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:42am
I think Doug Adkins did more harm for Middletown and its development and creation of interest by going on Channel 5 yesterday and showing the slums of the city and talking about the $150.00 fine, than anything associated with AJ Smith and the non filing of his campaign expenses. Hey Doug, I have a neighbor who has had multiple Christmas wreaths sitting on the side of his house for months, with a Christmas tree, where are you?

The hypocrisy of the city of Middletown never ceases to amaze me. Go around and see how many Christmas decorations and wreaths are haning on beautiful homes throughout town, and DA is basking in the news about $150.00 for not mowing the Christmas when the city takes care of nothing (but temselves, employees, and their "friends").

I can wait to see what Ohio decides on Smith, but I get tired of people like DA shooting the city and its residents in the foot non stop.  
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 10:58am
For those that missed the news cast, here you go.

MIDDLETOWN, Ohio -- Clean up your property or face the consequences. City leaders in Middletown hope to turn this proposal into law.

Residents of Middletown made hundreds of calls last year to complain about blighted properties.

City leaders said they're tired of taxpayers picking up the bill to clean it up.

"Over the last two years, we've spent over $100,000 of taxpayer money each year trying to keep the trash picked up and the properties mowed in the city," said Doug Adkins, director of Middletown Community Revitalization.

Under the proposed ordinance, any property owner, tenant or landlord who doesn't have his or her yard mowed or maintained will be cited. If the problem isn't taken care of in five days, they will be fined $150 per day.

Also from Channel 5
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 11:27am
The proposed ordinance is not about keeping up appearance of property but the $150 per day fine.As the reporter said,the city HOPES it brings in thousands of dollars.This proposal is nothing but a money machine for a cash strapped city with few choices and greedy city leaders.If the proposal was about maintaining property then why are they (city leaders) so hopeful it will bring in large amounts of cash ?

Nothing but another city run scam to bilk money out of it's residents.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
My Two Cents View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote My Two Cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 12:45pm
I will almost guarantee the levy of a $150. fine daily, would be declared unconscionable and therefore, unenforceable, by any judge, for a $20.00 yard haircut, and a fine of $750. weekly. The issue is not property needs to be maintained and cleaned up, at the individual expense and labor, the issue is Doug Adkins need not have gone on tv to get his message out, showing the slums of the city, and highlighting its failures and unattractiveness.  
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2011 at 9:05pm
Nexus, how can you be so naive?  Does the old adage of "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" come to mind at all?  Apparently not.  Given that AJ couldn't properly file the paperwork and track expenses for his school board election, and given that he apparently couldn't do it in his city council position, either, it would seem we've got a pretty careless council member on our hands. 

Do you really think that AJ could be "thrust" into the role of candidate and wouldn't know who his treasurer is?  If that's the case then he's too stupid to be on council, because he'd be the first politician in history to not know who's keeping track of his money.

And your moral equivalency argument with Robinette--1) that has nothing to do with AJ being inept and ill-suited for office and 2) what exactly is your source on that information?  I doubt it's a credible source, much unlike the official election boards that have questioned AJ's ongoing failure to file the proper paperwork (twice).  And the focus is on "ONGOING," since it isn't as though he had just once shot at it--each day that goes by is another failure of AJ's to get this simple chore accomplished. 

So a quick review, in just the past year or so since he's been on council, AJ has been involved in at least 2 public disturbance episodes, failed to report exactly how his campaign money was spent, and has yet to say anything really of substance or impact at any of the city meetings as far as I can tell.  So why does anyone still support him, exactly? 

I have to say, those of you who do support him must do so either because you 1) have incredibly low standards or 2) aren't made to feel inadequate by AJ's lack of accomplishments--something that arises out of a basic psychological need to feel important.  If anyone has any other valid reasons, I am curious to hear them.

Perhaps you think he's young and does have promise, but frankly, I would characterize AJ as being below average, even for a 21 year-old.  Give me any of the honor roll senior students at Middletown or Fenwick
or any of the Dean's list students at MUM and we'd have a far superior councilor.
"Ask not what your country can do for you..." JFK
nexus View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nexus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2011 at 7:03pm
Voice of Reason, you apparently have far more information about Smith than I. As for the allegations on Robinette, I indicated the source was posted on the forum, Vivian Moon. I have not gone trhough office files, simply indicating in my opinion, that allleged offense, is far more serious tham what transpired with Smith. I have no idea why Smith's treasurer did not comply with state guidelines, but one would assume he has the sense to take care of it. A have no knowledge of his high school dealings.

I am not a fan of Smith, simply stated in the context of other pressing matters, I suggested the state would take care of him, eiher by his filing, or a fine. To my knowledge, he has not shown up late for a meeting, and my grievance is far more substantial with his union dog and pony show, than the state reporting, which the state will be the ultimate arbitor.

We'll agree the point is moot, as soon the at large candidates hand oicked by city hall will be taking their place and supporting everything the city does. 
daffy duck View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daffy duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2011 at 10:42pm
I managed to sneak a camera into the last secret meeting of city council and senior city staff.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 3:52am
Nexus,
        I totally concur with Voice of Reason on the "moral equivalencey " point. Everyone stands on their own competency or incompetency whichever the case may be.
       Also, regarding the competency of A.J.'s treasurer, this is not the first mess-up in a political campaign regarding funds under the control of ol' Chuck Turner. A. J. should have known better.
        An appropriate job for Mr. Smith would be a guard out at the prison farm. Some of us would be glad to assist him in that.
        Paul Nagy
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 5:46am
In the Cincinnati State thread under Economic Development, Hermes asked the question:
"Wonder who in city hall is driving the tractor [pulling the manure spreader]??
I think I see the driver in Daffy Duck's picture above!!! LOL LOL LOL
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 7:08am
I thing the 150 fine is a waste of time.  If someone does not have the 25 to pay to have your yard mowed - do you think they will have the 150 a day to pay.  They will never collect on this.  They will place a lien on the property and when it goes to sherrif sale - it will be a right off. 

sj View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 7:32am
totally agree with bobbie. spend a day in the local court room to see just how many can't pay their fines(or anything for that matter). "no money" is the root cause of many issues around here. fine might as well be $1500 per--it ain't coming. fine is too high and won't solve the issue.
M2Cents View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M2Cents Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 9:17am
The court allows anyone under duress to pay the fine monthly---it NEVER goes away. The city will take it anyway they can get it, including a "payment" plan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic