FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issue 5-Collective Bargaining

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2011 at 5:49pm
spiderjohn, you were the first not only on this forum, but as far back as the old Middletown Journal. You pronounced properly, it was unsustainable, the double dip was wrong, and it would crash. You saw this coming I add, before the September 2008 real estate crash, a credit to you and the vision of these outrageous expenses.

You also pointed it out not all in the city, but also the school district. Teachers today with Masters think they have the educational prowness of a pHD from Harvard, with tenure and all the perks. I have many family members whom are educators and also in public safety, but simply put, these benefits are outlandish, and will bankrupt the city and the state. The country is already heading in that direction.

And what makes Middletown a particularly bad city? Because its a city filled with a bulf of unionized public servants, from MUM, to city hall, to AK. They pass these horrific levies, give no benefits at all, it took me a year to get Becker's attention to fix a storm drain before some young kid would drown and the city be held responsible, because they just won't give the citizens benefits. Its an outrage, and no one is taking this anymore at the stte level. Maybe enough will wake up from the slumber, and put a stop to what is happening in Middletown as well.

You have people with high school degrees, retiring with >100,000 incomes, and double, triple dipping. Its outlandish, they have little, if any pressure, and are truly treated as if tenured for life. Think about it---what has the city manager produced? Nothing. The same with the law director---other than ramming cases through the courts to get a $60.00 fee, its disgusting.

Well, at this stage, Middletown has put itself over the cliff. People know how poorly service is, the head fakes on PAC, Cincinnati State, and the utter lack of pride it takes one woman with enough strength to clean up a cemetary, then be spit on by virtually everyone at city hall, until its a week before a state hearing, then, its showtime, we need to get the $$$ in to match the Foundation, etc.

Middletown, you are a dead city. Many factors killed you, entitlement and feasting the beast, instead of starving it, led to its demise.   
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 8:43pm
Vietvet,

I'm sorry I posted some incorrect info in the last post.  Here are the pay numbers for 2011.

Starting fire fighter salary -- $45,071.56
Top fire fighter salary -- $60,152.60

As far as health care, several years ago the city wanted to remove health care from our contract.  We realized health care costs were rising and agreed to participate in the health care plan the City gives to non-union employees.  Collective barbaining worked.

As far as merit pay -- to receive their step increase, the employee must reach certain certifications.

New employees start at Step A.  To move to Step B, they must pass a written test identifying streets and landmarks.

From Step B to Step C, they must obtain a state certification for paramedic.  This is now a moot point because every new hire must have a valid paramedic certificate before they are appointed to the department.

From Step C to Step D is a freebie.

From Step D to Step E, they must receive department certification to operate an engine.

From Step E to Step F, they must receive department certification to operate a ladder truck.

No employee can be promoted until they reach Step F.  We have had employees that missed a step increase because they did not meet contractural obligations.  We have had employees that never reached top pay.

"Binding Arbitration" -- The Union filed a grievance and won through the arbitration process.  The City filed a lawsuit and won in court.  Binding arbitration is not always binding.

We have willington taken 0% pay increases in the past (without going to arbitration) and have offered concessions in the recent years only to be rejected by the City Manager.

I don't understand the tech comparison and how I make more than they will ever make.

Acclaro

Have you ever been a fire fighter?  I can only assume you have not been from your comments.  I respectfully disagree with your road trip to the city and my vocation has having the same degree of danger.  If you truly believe your comparision, you will never fully understand my profession.

I believe you make my point when it comes to athletes making millions.  The public has no problem paying entertainers large salaries but feel those individuals that protect your life and property deserve a small a wage as possible.

Lifetime security -- The City has fired fire fighters in the past.  I am always subject to discipline which could include termination.  I know of no fire fighter terminated and returned to their job because this Union filed paperwork.

When it comes to retirement, fire fighting is a young man's game.  I don't believe you would want 60 year old fire fighters dragging you out of a burning house.  Therefore, we have a retirement system that allows us to retire after 25 years of service.

Ashkicker
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 9:54pm
Ashkicker, this is a circuotous argument that Kasisch will address, but I will offer a few comments. I have a relative that was one of the "Dirty Dozen, got nearly 40 years in, and pushed 63 at retirement. I have another relative who was fire chief in another large county by 71. I have been in fire fighting families for decades, and can tell you one of the "dirty dozen's" most dangerous deal was being trapped once in a burning building, that he realized he needed to follow the coupling out, as he could not see, you know what I am saying as you are trained. That's one time in nearly 40 years. I have personal friends who flew from Brazil to the US on consulting jobs, who had coronaries in air, and died. Middletown, with all due respect, is not New York.

As for salary, your base is better than 30 year nurses with MSN's who work at Butler Cty, in fact, you have them beat starting out by $4Kk, with their 30 years, and Masters in Nursing. Middletown's head of health works part-time, and makes maybe, $26.00/ hr.

You also have overtime, which you did not include. Throw that in, and you are up to an average of $55,000-$60,000 easily. The police have even a better gig.

I have 4-5 generations of teachers that draw pensions better than OPERS, about $2600. mo, plus the Aetna insurance anyone would die to have. One in particular, got early retirement at age 55 associated with "stress". In the private business sector, he'd have been given short-term disability, returned to do the job, or be out of a job.

The good life is over. An airline stewardess makes $21,000 starting out, usually has a BS degree, and fully certified in depth equivalent to a fire fighter, must speak at least two languages, and has no collective bargaining rights.

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 10:47pm
Acclaro,

Life in danger once in 40 years, that's pretty lucky.  Is that the only time they were in danger or is that the only time you recall.  As for coronaries in the air and death, your last paragraph state stewardess' are "fully certified in depth equivalent to a fire fighter".  Didn't the stewardess' do anything to save your friends?  A stewardess' main job is being a stewardess.  My main job is saving lives and protecting property.  Middletown is definitely not New York, hey, we found something to agree on!

I make about $22.70/hour for a full time job, almost $3/hour less than the head of health working part-time.
Overtime is never a given.  Sometime there is overtime, sometimes there is not.

Currently retiring fire fighters will pay approximately $1000/month for insurance for them and their spouse.  I don't know how that stacks up against a teacher's Aetna insurance.  Let me know.

We have had a few guys injured on the job, reabilitated but could not return to duty.  Those individuals were forced to retire.  I do not know what their disability pension amounted to, but the minimum was based on years of service.

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 10:29am
Starting fire fighter salary -- $45,071.56
Top fire fighter salary -- $60,152.60

Looks like I was in the ballpark on salary.

"I don't understand the tech comparison and how I make more than they will ever make"

Very simple....if you are making a salary in the range that you have stated above, at $60 thou- top fire fighter salary, you are above where research technicians (my vocation) make. Some techs, with over 10-15 years in research and working for a large company like P&G or International Paper will make your starting salary of $45 thou. $50 thou is too high for large or small companies in a tech position.

These "step increases"....are they in addition to the regular salary increases or are they the actual salary increases, just called a different name? If in addition to the actual salary increase, unheard of in private industry.
stewieboy View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:00am
The fire fighter starting salary is higher than a typical person with a Bachelor or Masters degree.  I know because I have a Masters and didn't make that much after paying for 6 years of college.

The step increases are given out yearly. They are supposed to be based on performance but from what I have seen the bar isn't set very high and almost everyone gets it when it is their time. The step increases comes with a pay raise which is in addition to the raises that are bargained for by the unions.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 12:17am
These heros don't get overtime, don't strike, don't complain, and don't have collective bargaining. Who is overpaid in comparison?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 6:36am
So stewieboy.....if true that the step increases are in addition to the regular negotiated raises, in essence, they are getting two raises per year. Wonder what the percentage of each is? The last 5 to 10 years, in the private sector, the raises have been anywhere from 0% to as much as 3% on average from my experiences. If they are doing better than this, it is another advantage that the union folks have been enjoying that the private sector has not. What are your thoughts on this subject ashkicker? In addition to the 9% union folks pay toward their benefits (to around 15-22% for private sector) and this "step increase" in addition to the regular raise per year, I'd say you folks are doing just a tad bit better than we non-union private sector people. I'm sure you can understand the reluctance to support your point of view from our vantagepoint.(assuming all this is accurate of course)
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 7:15am
Ashkicker,  thanks for all your comments and the work you do in our community. This whole argument makes me wonder why people in the public sector have been targeted as the problem to our budget crisis.
I did want to correct one point in one of your previous comments. You state that the public has no problem paying athletes and entertainers making millions. I don't have a problem with it because it's not tax money. If an athlete or entertainer earns his corporate boss $100 million, I see no reason he shouldn't get a good part of it. By the way, athletes and entertainers are union workers. As a matter of fact, all those talking heads you see on TV and hear on the radio spouting off about how unions are destroying the country, they ALL BELONG TO A UNION!!!. You cannot be on TV or the radio unless you are a member of the union; it is one of the strongest unions in the country!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2011 at 9:00am
TonyB, you must have a son or daughter working in the department? FACT- 30% of the average public workr makes 30% more than private sector. FACT: the average public secctor makes >50% in benefits such as insurance, etc., than public. THAT's WHY they do their work and enter the field. Nice gig if you can get it.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2011 at 8:53pm
acclaro,

So you are related to Chief Brewer, huh?

Middletown fire fighter with a wife that is a nurse.  She has been a nurse for 12 years with NO BSN, NO MSN and just a nursing certificate.  She makes in 12 hours what her fire fighting husband makes in 24.

Soldiers heroes?  You are DAMN right!  (More common ground between you and me, that's scary)  Am I mistaken or do soldiers sign contracts when they enlist?  When I enlisted in the Marines, I had to sign papers.  If they do, that makes them federal employees with a contract.  Do they get a full retirement and benefits at 20 years (could be as young as 38) while I have to work a minmum of 25 (at 48) and possibly 30 if I started at 18?  The City doesn't give me a signing bonus and pay for my education expenses.  I recently attended a welcome home party for a soldier that was a cook, I thanked him for keeping me safe and he laughed at me!  Don't get me wrong, soldiers deserve everything (and more) they get.

Working as a Chief isn't anything like working the line.  The physical exertion isn't there.

How does my $1000/month retiree insurance stack up against that Aetna plan for teachers?

Overtime -- my overtime is based on a 51 hour work week which is much lower than the 40 hour employee.  So, if we both made the same weekly rate and worked overtime, I get about 78 cents for every dollar you make.

Vietvet,

Step increases are given on a employee's anniversary date.  Contractural raises are given however the CBA is structured.  That usually equates to January 1st.  In the private sector, is there a top pay?  Do most employees reach that top pay?  How does the private sector employee reach top pay?  I would image the private sector employee gets a raise annualy until they reach top pay.  My point is at some time the younger employee is going to get larger or more frequent raises to reach the same pay as the older employee.

I currently pay 10% into my pension and it has been discussed to raise that to 12.5%.  Family plan medical is around $100/month, I think.  I have agreed to pay up to $112.58/month into the insurance plan.  If I pay LESS than what I agreed to in the contract, why is it the Union's fault?

Fire fighters and research techs are two totally different jobs.  Two times in my career, I have met with the Critical Incident Stress Debriefing team.  I can only image the stress of knocking over a beaker.  Talk to me again when you go to work and a mother puts her dead baby in your arms and expects you to do miracles.  I'm not complaining or whining, just giving you examples of how fire fighters and lab techs are different.

I have listened to people complain that I donate money to get candidates elected.  Those elected officials then give me whatever I what when contract talks come around.  What about the companies that donate huge sums of money to get the candidates elected so they will pass management friendly laws passed to line their pockets.  Don't give me that tax breaks for businesses will create more jobs.  With the bailout money given, we should be importing workers for the insurance companies, the auto industry and the mortgage companies.

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 7:27am
"Step increases are given on a employee's anniversary date. Contractural raises are given however the CBA is structured". So we can assume that you normally receive two increases per year? One increase per year in the private sector, if you're lucky nowadays. Has been for the 40+ years I have been working.

"In the private sector, is there a top pay?" Yes. In my experiences on a floor factory job and as a research tech., each level has a pay range. That pay range may overlap the next highest pay range. A highly rated "T-1" may be making more than a low rated "T-2" for example. If you do not get a promotion and are highly rated in your current level, you may receive a small increase in pay as you reach the "topped out level" in your pay grade. On the factory floor, the jobs have a range of pay, depending on the skill level required and the responsibility of that job. A machine operator is going to make more than a person packing parts on a prod. line. Takes more skill to run a machine than to put pieces in a box and seal it. If there is no opening on the floor for a higher paying position to apply for, you stay where you're at and receive small increases if you are near the top of your pay range. You must wait until a position opens up to move higher. Sometimes, that never happens if there is little turnover in the department.

"Do most employees reach that top pay?"- At Crane Plastics, a line operator (lowest operator position on the floor) spends some time in the position running simple jobs until his lead man thinks he is ready to test for "A" operator. He tests and if he passes, moves to starting range A operator and begins to run harder profile jobs. This happens for Senior Operators also. Each position has several steps to warrant a merit raise. If you produce, have few defects and little scrap on a continual basis, it helps in the promotion process. You "top out" at the highest level of Senior Operator after 15+ years if you are proficient and pass all tests in a minimal amount of time. Lead man is the next level- IF a lead man position is available. They just don't create a lead man position just because a Senior Operator is topped out. If not available,then you stay a topped out Senior Operator with small increases up to a certain point- then nothing more. (or you transfer out of the department if something opens up or you leave the company for a better paying job and opportunity somewhere else.

"My point is at some time the younger employee is going to get larger or more frequent raises to reach the same pay as the older employee"- Nope. Everyone gets a raise once a year at performance appraisal time (or if they pass the tests to the next level, but not two raises in a year) Based on merit/accomplishments/value to the company. Younger employee doesn't get more frequent raises over the older employee. Older employee may be the "A" operator and is slower and not as skilled at learning as the younger employee. The younger employee will go right past him. Everyone learns and progresses at a different rate. The younger employee may have demonstrated "A" operator skills long before the older one did and will make Senior Operator faster if he can demonstrate the skills needed better.

"My point is at some time the younger employee is going to get larger or more frequent raises to reach the same pay as the older employee".- not if he can't demonstrate the skill levels to move up the ladder, he won't. Age has nothing to do with it. Demonstrating skills to achieve the next level does. How you perform matters- age does not when it comes to raises. Everyone gets the same raise/same frequency within the skill level attained whether you're 20 or 60.

"I currently pay 10% into my pension and it has been discussed to raise that to 12.5%"- yes...we can select 0-5-10 or 15% out of our paycheck to go to retirement.

"Family plan medical is around $100/month, I think"- that's cheap- my paycheck sees a hit of $300 per month for medical and $160 per month for dental coverage.(that's in addition to what the company pays) The medical is excellent with Anthem and I need it for my wife's many major medical issues. Otherwise, we would be bankrupt. The dental coverage sucks with a max. coverage cost of only $1000 per year. Hell, a root canal eats up $800 of that. Nothing left for fillings, cleanings, etc. Anything over a $1000, I pay for out of pocket, after forking out $160 a month to boot. Crappy coverage.

"I have agreed to pay up to $112.58/month into the insurance plan."- company supplies my base salary as insurance. I purchased supplemental coverage at 4 times my base salary and have the premium taken out of the paycheck every two weeks.

"Talk to me again when you go to work and a mother puts her dead baby in your arms and expects you to do miracles"- yes, you have the human element in your job. My job is the cold, hard fact of creating new ideas through research that will enhance the possibility of the company making more money. No human emotions involved other than to daily tiffs with the scientists and engineers of course.

"I have listened to people complain that I donate money to get candidates elected. Those elected officials then give me whatever I what when contract talks come around. What about the companies that donate huge sums of money to get the candidates elected so they will pass management friendly laws passed to line their pockets"- ok, what's your point? People in the private sector AND public sectors make political donations all the time to try and get the person who they may benefit from elected. Those elected officials who "give me whatever I want when contract talks come around" would be our city council who is suppose to be representing the taxpayer who is providing the funding to "give you whatever you want". I would hope (but know otherwise) that they would not "give away the store" at negotiation time. If they are,they are screwing the general public who is supplying the money they are giving away and are catering (caving in) to the union demands while ignoring the majority of the tsxpayers. Salary and bennie costs are 75% of the city's budget. Gotta lower that cost to get the budget in line with the poor revenues in this city. The city just ain't bringin' in as much as they are spending.

The bailout money?....I think most of us know that was wrong to do. It was done by Obama and the Dems to support the unions for the purpose of gaining more votes at election time. I noticed that we taxpayers weren't asked if we wanted the feds to use our money for these bailouts. They probably wouldn't have liked the response. Wanna know the kicker....I voted for Obama and am a registered Dem. Don't agree with alot of his thinking nor where we're headed. Don't care for Repub Boehner nor Mitch McConnell either. More and Independent now than either major party supporter.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 7:37am
VietVet - You are wrong when you say the bailout money was done by Obama and the Democrats. Which bailout? The one for the banking industry was done before Obama became President. Not that it matters because Obama is just "Bush Light". The stimulus package at the beginning of Obama's term was his doing.
Acclaro - I don't have any children so your comment makes no sense; not to mention that your so called "fact" isn't referrenced to any source. List your source, then we can discuss your "fact".
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 10:25am

Now, I am not trying to start an argument. I am just presenting a few facts, and then offering a different point of view. (The compensation and political donation figures are from the Center for Public Integrity website. You can find them here: http://www.publicintegrity.org/articles/entry/2964/ )

• The Nation Education Association (NEA), representing most of the nation’s teachers, has 31 headquarters officers and employees who earn over $200,000. The president, Dennis Van Roekel, received $397,721 in salary and benefits. Of the $3.7 million NEA spent on political activities in the last election cycle, 98 percent went to Democratic candidates.
  • The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) is the smaller of the two teacher unions and also represents school support staff, higher education faculty and staff, health care professionals and state and municipal employees. At AFT’s headquarters in Washington, nine officers and employees earn more than $200,000 a year. Randi Weingarten, who was elected president in 2008, received $428,284 in salary and benefits. Of the $2.4 million donated to political candidates in the past two years, the union gave all but $10,000 to Democrats.
  • The Service Employees International Union (SEIU), whose membership has increased in recent years, has been organizing hospital, home care and nursing home workers, along with local and state government employees, janitors and security officers. The union has nine headquarters officers and employees who earn over $200,000. The former president, Andy Stern, was paid $306,388 in salary and benefits from the union in 2009. In his final year, Stern got a 5 percent pay boost. Over the past two years, SEIU gave almost $2 million to Democratic candidates and $8,500 to Republicans.
  • The American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME), one of the fastest growing unions in the United States, was founded in Wisconsin almost 80 years ago. At union headquarters in Washington, 10 officers and employees receive more than $200,000 a year. Gerald McEntee, who was first elected union president in 1981, was paid $479,328 in salary and benefits in 2009. Over the past two years, AFSCME has donated $2.3 million to Democratic candidates and $13,000 to Republicans.

Now, if you do the math, all of the above easily adds up to over $25 million, and these aren’t all of the public employee unions by a long shot. Next consider that some of the people may not want to belong to a union, but they have no choice--they are forced to join (or, in some states, at least to pay the dues). And yes, I am familiar with the argument that they enjoy the benefits of belonging to the union. But look how many of these union big shots earn as much, or more, than the evil, rich bankers and corporate officers!!! Talk about taxing the rich??? You folks are PAYING the rich, and doing so with money that first came from the TAXPAYERS!!!

And another thing: out of the millions of your union brothers and sisters who are members of these unions, don’t you think that there is a substantial number who are NOT of the Democratic Party persuasion??? They may be Libertarian, Green Party, Constitution Party, Communist Party, Independents, or even <gasp> Republicans, and yet neither they, nor YOU have any control over where (or how much of) these MILLIONS of dollars in political donations go. Yet the money goes to nearly ALL Democrats!!! And again, these political contribution first had to be taken from the TAXPAYERS to be passed through you on the way to the wealthy union officials!!!

I’m not saying whether this is right or wrong, I am just saying that this is DIFFERENT than the private sector. If I don’t like Walmart’s social agenda, I can shop at Target. If I don’t like General Motors’ political leanings, I can buy a Ford, etc. But neither you nor I nor any other citizen has a choice whether or not to pay taxes, so somehow my tax money ends up in Andy Stern's pocket and helping to elect Barack Obama (neither of whom are even my Facebook "friends", let alone listed as dependents on my IRS-1040)!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 10:32am
A perfect example pertaining to what we are discussing.... today's Journal

City, union contract 
mediation
 talks fail

At the water treatment plant in Hamilton, he said a Class III operator is paid $30.51 per hour — $5.85 more than in Middletown.

Workers were asking to be paid $28.99 — an increase of $4.33 per hour, with no additional increases in the next two years.

However, Mills said the city does a comparability with every union contract and it found Middletown workers are paid more than those in Fairborn, Lima and Warren, Ohio.

If the workers de-unionize, the city would likely re-examine wages and other terms of employment to see if it compared to other nonunion city workers, Mills said.

$28 to $30 bucks an hour to run a water treatment plant metering chemicals into the water system. You could contract this out in a non-union capacity and the city would be paying $15 to $20 bucks an hour. Article doesn't say anything about their benefits. Gotta include the cost of those also for the city. Asking for $4.33/hour on top of the $24.66 they are earning now to reach that $28.99 level. Quite an increase. The employer would laugh at this proposal in the private sector. City won't help trim the budget honoring this type of request.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 10:50am
TonyB- all I know is that on the evening news, every night for a period of time, the discussion always focused on the bailouts for GM, the banks, AIG and other companies that were run into the ground. Don't agree using taxpayer money, without taxpayer permission, to bail already failed enterprises out of trouble. Some of these shops were union and with the bailout, continued to excessive wages, bennies and retirement programs. We're back to were we were with some of these companies before the trouble began. What good did it do to help the very same people who failed miserably before? And, why should some companies be kept afloat with taxpayer money help while others go under and the very same people who's taxes went to save some, ended up losing their jobs anyway? Look, I'm not anti- Dem/Obama. I'm not pro-Republican/Boehner and their agenda. I'm anti- all Washington, Columbus, Middletown government people. All levels have really overspent in relation to revenues in and have played their special interest game so long, it has caught up with them. All levels have really screwed this country up. The PEOPLE are the only ones left with level heads. The problem has always been who the people select to run the show for them. They are special agenda idiots who sell the people out each and everyday. There are no politicians who think like the people do. JMO
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 11:11am
Mr. Presta,

So if I by drugs with my paycheck, I can blame my drug addiction on the public because they were silly enough to pay me?

When I gave my children a bowling bowl for Christmas or their birthday, I don't expect to be able to tell them which bowling alley to use it at.

Look, Unions have good points and Unions have bad points.  If you think draconian steps won't be taken by the City, you are mistaken.  One example, three Captains take a promotional exam to fill two Deputy Chief positions.  After the order is established by testing and a very competent employee comes in second that has had run-ins with management, the second Deputy Chief position is eliminated.

Vietvet,

For two employees hired years apart that do the same job to make the same money because they perform to the same level, the younger employee HAS to get either bigger or more frequent raises.

Where do you get you information on the salaries of water treatment employees?  I believe a lot of this argument is based on jealousy.  I believe this legislation is a payback against the Unions.

Years ago the City contracted through Anthem for our healthcare.  A committee researched other providers and found United Health Care would provide similar benfits at a cheaper rate.  Subsequently, the City changed to UHC and saved money.  All the Unions had a seat on that committee.  Maybe changing providers would save you money.

Ashkicker
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 11:57am
ashkicker-

"Where do you get you information on the salaries of water treatment employees?"- from the journal story today.

"I believe a lot of this argument is based on jealousy. I believe this legislation is a payback against the Unions."- Not jealousy...just measuring what I believe a water treatment plant person does from a high tech standpoint and assessing what they make based on the info. in the article, that's all. Legislation is a payback against the unions.....perhaps. Could also be a legitimate attempt to help hold the city budget in line and curtail costs as much as possible. Being a union person, you will always view any change in the reduction of your current situation as an attack. I, as a non-union worker, may view that same situation as the city attempting to hold down costs to help the strained budget or an attempt to bring the perceived bloated union perks in line with the rest of the working world.

"Years ago the City contracted through Anthem for our healthcare. A committee researched other providers and found United Health Care would provide similar benfits at a cheaper rate. Subsequently, the City changed to UHC and saved money. All the Unions had a seat on that committee. Maybe changing providers would save you money". No ashkicker, you don't understand. My employer provides the healthcare choices for me through the Human Resources Department. THEY shop around and get the healthcare package for all the employees. We select the plan from the healthcare program they have selected for us, that best accomodates our situation. We don't have the option of selecting our own healthcare provider. We employees don't have a "seat on any committee" to help make a selection.

"For two employees hired years apart that do the same job to make the same money because they perform to the same level, the younger employee HAS to get either bigger or more frequent raises."- No...again... I told you before, AGE DOESN'T HAVE A DAM THING TO DO WITH IT. If you have a young person who is a level 1 machine operator and an older person, hired years before, who is also a level 1 machine operator, BOTH (young and old) will be making a wage that is somewhere in the pay range of what a level 1 machine operator makes. The "bigger and more frequent raises" you mention has nothing to do with AGE. It has everything to do with one performing better than the other. The older person may receive the larger raise if they are PERFORMING better. OR- OR, the younger person who hired in at a later date, started higher on the wage scale as time went by. Pay is constantly being adjusted to reflect what the current market is yielding for a comparable job in the area. Employers are always checking the prevailing wages in the area to make sure they are offering a competitive wage. The young person may start out at what the older worker has built their wages up to over the years. Adjustment of the standard of living as it increases as time goes by.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 12:18pm
Ashkicker,
I repeat:
"I am not trying to start an argument. I am just presenting a few facts, and then offering a different point of view." "I’m not saying whether this is right or wrong, I am just saying that this is DIFFERENT than the private sector."

I especially do not want to argue with you on this.  You and I have common ground on most issues (at least in my view, from what I've read), including many aspects of this subject.  I just feel that in some aspects, the relationships between management and public sector unions are DIFFERENT from the corresponding relationships in the private sector, and therefore are much more difficult to properly fit into the equation.

Another example is the fact that public sector unions are able to help select (through elections) the people with whom they must negotiate, and who will approve, or deny, their salary increases.  Can you imagine AK employees being able to elect the people who call the shots (for the management side) during their contract negotiations, and eventually approve their contract???  I doubt that there would've been a lock-out, don't you agree.  I am just saying that it puts a different slant on things.

I was NOT trying to say that unions should be abolished or that I am in favor of "draconian steps" or anything else.  I was just trying to point out a few specific items that may (or may not) be worth some consideration.

How much does the top person at your union make, and do you think he/she deserves it???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 1:30pm
Unfortunately none of the posturing here matters at all.
This is beyond local or state--it is universal.
NO MONEY is a very finite answer.
Public sector workers will deal with the same health care/retirement meltdown as experienced by the private sector.

Ash,vet,acclaro,Tony,spider are not to blame, yet we are ALL to blame for kicking the can down the road instead of facing the gorilla head-on. We ALL knew that this was coming, and it would be foolish to think that this can be easily fixed.

denial is more than a river in Africa.
Is the Republican response somewhat draconian(a term first used right here by myself when these statehouse rumblings began)? IMO yes. Is this what the general public wants? A very dangerous even split.

Not that it matters, since now we can't afford anything less than this realistically.
Ash buddy-- u tell me how we can fix this mess now.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 1:52pm
Kick the Can is the right description, a fun game for kids under a street light, but a dangerous one which is bankrupting the country and others, states, and cities. When I re-read Ms. Moon's post in the other thread, it speaks of the "temporary" free-up of dedicated infrastructure funds by Kaup, and its positive benefit to the city, to have those funds (to pay payroll and such). 23 years later on that kicking the can downstream, the city infrastructure has crumbled with projections that it would have taken, what....>50 years to bring the streets up to par, and the sewers, at a cost of about $130 Mm.

The problem in Middletown not only is it affected by the statekicking the can downstream, but its own culpability, deliberate, calculated, that has left a crumble in every facet of infrastructure. The city needs to have that 1.75% increase reversed to 1.5%. That's a start.

A detective in Middletown makes $140,000 with OT, and these perks that F100 executives don't have in med and pension. In 10 years, the real affect of these actions will be apparent to all---including those in their head in Donham saying its even a brighter future.  
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 2:32pm
Vet,

Maybe you can suggest a committee to help alleviate your cost.  If the company will only pay a certain portion of your health care, they have no incentive to shop around.  For example --

The company finds a policy for $900/month and agrees to pay $600.  You pay the other $300.

Company B's policy is $850/month.  Again the company will pay $600.  You pay $250.  The company has no incentive to go with Company B because they have the same cost.  Some people think the sun rises and sets on Anthem.

Younger doesn't necessarily mean age, especially in my analogy.  (My mistake for using vague terms)

Employee A hired in 2000 starts at $1000 /week.  In '01, '02 '03 and '05 he gets a salary increase of $25/week.  In 2010 he is making $1100/week.

Employee B is hired in 2005 at $1000/week.  If he gets a raise '06, '07 and '09, employee A gets no raise during employee B's raise years.

I don't view every reduction in my benefits as an attack.  I make a good wage and I, like you and your vocation, feel I earn it.  Can we reduce some costs?  Yes.  Can my pension be restructured to hold down costs.  Absolutely.  I have been on both sides of this fence.  I have lost a couple of jobs when the companies I worked for went out of business.  Was I happy?  Hell no!  I've walked the picket line in the private sector for better wages.  The modest increase we received took about a year to cover what we lost during the strike.

Would it be acceptable to you if both sides would have sat down at the table and discussed this issue looking for a solution to benefit both sides?

Mike,

I am not trying to argue and I appreciate your support from recent posts.  Unfortunately, some people feel everything written on this blog is the gospel.  Before you know it, people will demand fire fighters live in the City because THEY pay my wages.  Oops, some people already think that!  (I am NOT referring to you)

Some people in the City still think the City gives fire fighters a stipend to buy food each day.  WRONG

Some people think I make overtime every week because I work 51 hours per week.  WRONG

Some people think fire fighters want to viewed as "heroes"  WRONG   Most fire fighters will tell you they are just doing their job.  A sincere thank you is accepted and greatly appreciated.

Ashkicker

P.S. What is up with the Enquirer's front page story about Shannon Jones today?

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 3:07pm
Spider,

Ok, here we go........................

Lets start with pensions.  In the recent years, the pension board has clamped down on disability pensions.  Less disability pensions will help free up some money.  I don't how much that move has or has not saved.  The pension board has steadily increased the amount retirees pay for insurance.  Again, that has helped free up money.  When our pension system reduced the retirement age from 52 down to 48, there was a large amount of police/fire fighters that retired and I believe that had a detrimental effect on our pension system, i.e increased costs.  I believe the retirement age should be bumped back up to 52.  (I believe the pension is looking at that possibility)  Pensions should be figured on base salaries, not an inflated number skewed by overtime compensation.  Some Members of my Union (just a few and years ago) had suggested offering overtime first to those Members within their last three years of employment to "bump" up retirement earnings.  While the Members here rejected that move, I would not be surprised if some Unions do this exact thing to "bump" up thier Members retirement benefites.

In a recent contract, the Union offered to take a 0% pay raise which was rejected by Landen and Becker.  That would have saved the City money.  I would not be upset with a raise tied to the cost of living.  Again, I make a good living and am appreciative of the money I receive.  I think there are innovative ways to schedule off time to help reduce overtime.  As I posted earlier, I pay less than what I am contracted to pay for health care costs and I personally am not above paying more for what I see as good insurance.  I would not object to benefits and pay being doled out as pieces of a pie.  By that I mean if COL dictates a raise of $500/year, we could mutually agree to $500 in wages or $300 in wages and $200 in healhcare or certification pay, etc.

Contrary to to what some people think, I DO care about Middletown's financial condition and what goes on here.  Blanket statements about Dems, Reps, fire fighters, cops, teachers etc. only make people look foolish in the end.  What Shannon Jones and the Republicans have done is no better than doing nothing at all.

My ideas are not a cure-all but it may be a start.

Ashkicker
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 4:33pm
Come on Ash
Your answers are a finger in the crack of a dike bursting at the seams.
We have waited too long to try minor adjustments.
There is no money for future obligations, and nowhere to get mo money.
The end is not down the road--it is here now.
I don't expect you to like my thinking--I don't like it much either, however the truth is very painful to everyone.
Your system has collapsed.
Whomever is in charge of managing and maintaining it sold you down the river--just as happened with the private sector 401k/Ira/health care/stock market meltdown. much of your future went away at the same time. they just didn't want to tell you.
Welcome to the club!

We are all in this together
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 9:21pm
Ash, I gotta follow sj lead's again. This debate really is not what will happen in Columbus, we know that outcome. Kasich has that covered. Its the council members AJ and the rest of the gang gotta spin to keep the train on the track. That should be an easy sell in Middletown and city hall, they sold out the citizens 25 years or so ago.

Ol Deputy Chief Brewer wouldn't bother with the Chief position, he knew the money was better with OT, and not the desk job. When I graduated from college, the private sector was where the action was. The pay was better, you still had some semblance of life-time employment if you kept your nose clean, and a pension. By 1985, those days were gone, re-engineering, downsizing, cost containment, continuous improvement, were the buzzwords for running lean. Add on 2-3 global companies constantly consolidating, and then reducing staff, and 401K's, and that game stopped 20 years ago.

The public sector though, continued on the feast. Retire after 30, hit 50, begin the double dip, even triple, and now you got a $150 Kk gig, benefits, what a life. What you seem to miss here Ash, is the economy is in shambles. Middletown as bad or will be soon, as about everyone is trying to move out. Without revenue and reducing property tax, who pays the tax that brings in revenue, that pays for staff? Look at AK, that is the case study in doing what is required to stay afloat.

Taxpayers pay the tax that brings in the revenue. In other words, the taxpayer is the boss, not the city manager. When the well is dry, which it is in Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, they can't compete, industry and individuals leave. Do you know how many states don't have collective bargaiing, and function just fine?

Well, welcome aboard the "reality" club and the world of 401K, and seniority means natta.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic