FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What a mess!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 11:15am
Say what ?!!! We missed the party at Prime Minister Gillelands' house ? I'm like Vet,if she had a party everyone at MUSA would have received an invitation. Unless Randy & Vet went without me. Cry

I was told years ago by a good source and someone in the know that certain business people actually ran this town so I agree with jag.There is always people with money behind the scenes directing what steps the city takes I think everyone can agree with that.The only way to fix the problem's would be to have people in office who will sever the ties and alienate the big money.Gilleland is the worse thing that has ever happened to this town.IMO she has no clue what she is doing or how to manage a city.If she was running a company the way she runs this town she would have been fired long ago.

If you really want the problems solved get people in office on all levels with no self interest other than to see the city get back on it's feet.Keep business people out of and off of city council,cut the city managers salary by at least 20%,stop everyone from pulling stunts like making Becker city manager,no more promoting within,hold council and the city manager to higher standards with the stipulation you screw up twice and your gone,pass legislation to eliminate some of these idiotic city ordinances,eliminate the requirement of filing a city tax return,this is the number one dumbest thing I ever seen or heard of,bring in the state to audit everything and find out where the discrepancies are and where the money has gone and is going,eliminate boards,eliminate spending on idiotic projects like the multi-million dollar bike path,if the state or county wants a bike path make them pay for it,eliminate "Illusions of Grandeur" like the Renaissance area,all that is just another money maker for the ones running this town.

Do things like this and you might see Middeltown bounce back.Sure it will take more than just the things I mention but it's a start.We can sit here all day long and list everything thats wrong with this town,matter of fact I can't think of anything thats right about it.Sure anyone can say "Well Hermes run for office if you want change" well I'd love to but my health won't allow it.

So thats all I got to say about that. Big%20smile
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 12:55pm
sj makes a good point and is to be commended for his efforts with MUM IMHO. Exemplification there are existing assets that can be utilized effectively. The series was excellent and had tremendous talent including some rather esteemed performers.

I know many attorneys, and not certain that many are good rianmakers at their own business, let alone being ED's for a city. Was that move you reference sj to placate the relation the attorney you make subtle reference with his partnership with the strained LR ruffled feathers? I don't know. Or maybe he's drafting the lease agreement, but isn't that what Landen does to earn a paycheck?

When will the recognition and comprehension occur has too much much damage been done to recover, and then start with the clean up effort like Japan? The neglect of the city's efforts on streets and infrastructure has lasting ramifications. Middletown is looking like a war zone with so many FOR SALE signs out. I could not believe Manchester yesterday, the old hospital area, everywhere including daVinci.

I can't comprehend with all these bimonthly emergency sessions and what not, why can't the council simply start with putting back in place an ordinance that reverses taking road funds to pay payroll? That's a no brainer 'baby step' correct?

Many arguments about Sunset, but city closes a pool that has been around since the 20's for $50,000 annual expenses, but collects buildings, including airports, golf clubs, and the $500 Kk was dropped with high risk, while shutting down Sunset that a fraction of those funds would have kept the pool open for 10 years perhaps. There is simply too much lack of logic accompanying so many decisions.

It used to be enough local movement up would sustain Middletown's housing market. For the past 5 years, more in Middletown want out, than want to stay within, and move up. The housing stock will be 15-20 years to purge, maybe longer. I agree with the change at the Renaissance, now adding more to the competing price point already in dismal shape.

You are correct a few council members are not the cause of the city's overwhelming and catastropic problems. But, the wrong moves continued to be played, the wrong assets held, and the pain threshold is reaching overwhelming proportion and consequence for a majority.  

rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 1:35pm
SJ glad to hear all went well last night along with the other shows you helped bring to Middletown.  Once again I scratch my head at what direction this forum is going.  I hear and by the way lived through the last 20 years of the mistakes made by our city government.  Great- we've covered that topic, whats happening today to get our city from buying more property, loaning out more money to out of town business's who by the way can now compete against long time business owner's of this town for convention space thanks to my money being given out.  Mr. Presta started this thread with pop. decline in our county and what he felt should happen in a bullet point layout to "right" our city.  Lets start with having the right people in place to begin.  Scapegoating? Who's in charge now?  Need to head out but heres a good one and if it's true it speaks volumes of the climate in that building.  Supt. of weatherwax resigning, gave notice two weeks ago still hasn't heard from senior staff.  Lots of ways to look at that but he has a great track record. All that money invested in this person and know one follows up.  Sure I doubt it would help keep him at the course but who wants to work in that type of enviroment. Regardless of how you feel about the productivity of our city staff it's what we all have to depend on to keep this town functioning. 
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 1:43pm
Regarding the road funds, does anyone know what "fat" there is in the city budget that can realistically be cut?  We're stuck with the police/fire budgets for now, we can't sell Weatherwax even if we wanted to, what else....   I don't know what departments or people in that building can be cut without "services" going to the bone.  Don't tell me Kohler and Landen because their salaries would simply go to their replacements.  I would imagine the offices in the city building should be half empty.

jag123, you seem to be a city building insider.....what is your opinion?

Middletown:  the poverty town that offers absolutely nothing in return for your tax dollars.  
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 1:56pm
I've read all of the responses from this post and I have a request; please don't use initials to describe a person or organization if you haven't used the name of the person in your post. I was never good at guessing initials and some of the ones previously used above just left me shaking my head. Using initials after you've used the name in your post is fine; I apologize for my ignorance.

I agree with rem1187 that listing the past mistakes will not fix them. Mr. Presta rightly points out that positive thinking alone will not solve the city's current plight. I also agree with acclaro's assessment that the money used on Cincy State project could have kept the public pool up and running for a decade. If the Cincy state deal falls through, will we sell the buildings purchased? If Verdin walks away from PAC, what will happen there? A lot of "what ifs" involved in the city's current planning. I'd like to see a plan for the city that has a more solid foundation. Certainly, not a plan that has so many risks associated with taxpayers money.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 2:25pm
TonyB, I apologize. My LR reference was Lenny Robinson, commercial real estate developer, as I thought and believe sj's reference was to Greg Pratt, a Middletown attorney in his post. Completely agree with your assessments. Pointing out the past however, does serve a useful purpose. If the path and direction is the same its been on, we are doomed. The repetition in that regard IMHO, is the path continues, perhaps worsening, than it has been on for decades. Does Cincinnati State help? I have no idea or has it been communicated how Cin State would offer programs in diversity ( one, few, all). The area around the hospital was the savior. What happened?

I'd like to see a plan that could be executed, that wasn't a macro Master without details that are workable (to Mike Presta's post), and a degree of security and comfort some one is actually guiding the ship besides MMF, and a constant spinning of the wheels getting no traction. Why is Monroe winning? Why is the Austin Reed area? 

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 7:09pm

It’s simple, really.

There are lots of answers and solutions coming out of City Hall.

Just one big hitch:

Those answers and solutions just don’t match the real problems that we have!!!

Go back to my original post in this thread!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 10:23am
I can't see why all our tissue factories closed down with all the cry babies in Middletown!

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 10:25am
I'm just kidding really...
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 10:59am

acclaro, I didn't mean to imply that pointing to the past isn't valuable. What I'm saying is that pointing to past mistakes is useful only when you learn the lessons of past mistakes and successes. Patterns in the past can help to avoid mistakes and promote success. There is no going back, ie. filling in Lake Middletown, etc. The earlier comment that those who put us in this mess starting 30 years ago can't hurt us now isn't true unless we avoid repeating those mistakes.

Tudor Brown, second post was unnecessary; if people couldn't figure out that your comment was meant in jest, then telling them you were kidding isn't going to convince them.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:02am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Tudor Brown, second post was unnecessary; if people couldn't figure out that your comment was meant in jest, then telling them you were kidding isn't going to convince them.

Don't you think I'm a handsome fella though?

me and my old lady:

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 11:43am
no crying on this end, and not trying to re-live the past.
However I DO know what has happened, a lot of what is happening, and pretty much who caused it and is calling the shots now. I have attended many Council/Cimmission meetings and have spoken out many times. I have served on many city boards and committees and currently serve on the Master Plan Steering Committee.

Think as you like--no major issue there--however I take exception to myself and many others here being branded as crybabies, whiners, complainers and negative troublemakers.

Imo we need the Cincy St.project to keep the former downtown area afloat. The current group of property owners and city direction has produced little to nothing outside of a lot of future expense and maintenence. Un-paid loans, giveaways + wasted building improvements didn't get us anywhere other than to render the properties pretty much worthless. How much debt do you expect as this project plays out? How will roads be fixed? How will businesses and job-producers be incentived to come here?  Do we even have an ED dept. any more? What is happening with Section 8, after all of the meetings, proclamations and promises?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 12:15pm
TonyB, perhaps I have not myself clear. The past is a reflection of the decades of Middletown's leadership dimply not looking ahead, focusing upon a diversified industry in contrast to awaiting AK's direction and vision  (now of course head-uartered in West Chester), and the paper mills. To his credit, use Barry Levy as an example of someone looking forward and the impact MUM had upon Middletown directly and indirectly. Hence, the problems and lack of leadership go back decades, and have manifested forward to a point I argue, today's leaderhsip is actually worse, in spite of putting in well educated people.

My reference to the past and the prolonging of the depth of this lack of forward thinking I argue, has plcaed us in a position the city is simply not able to be competitive with other communities on tax incentives. Stacking up non profits may have some benefit, in payroll taxes, but they also are not subject to property tax. So when the mix is heavily non profits, that has less impact than industrial, office, or private commercial sector.

Without tax base, and decling property values, less funds are available to be used for streets, attracting business, and promoting the city. More importantly, so the argument just doesn't become circuitous, which even my posts and many others, are points made that go back 6 years or more, a record on Ground Hog Day, no progress is taking place, no new direction is being carved. To Mike Presta's point,, you must first acknowledge you have a problem, and then begin to fix it.

The leaders barely acknowledge there is a problem, and have surrounded themselves by a few whom reinforce its not that bad, because they are doing well, or they want to protect theor own turf, and make certain they have a place in the life boat, before others as the Titantic goes down.

You are talking solutions which are raising taxes or getting more business and residents into Middletown. We are pointing out why that is not occurring nor been a success. If it had, there would be 600 $300,000 + homes in the Renaissance, not 60. The school's would be busting, instead of consolidating. The downtown would have some niche identity, albeit antiques, coffee shops, instead of adding a school system that after many months of discussion, the residents still have no idea, nor do the players, what programs are coming, is it culinary, or everything Cincinnati State offers. That, in sum, is the reference to the past.

Any tears are to witness the cancer ravage this city, and a drunk surgeon attempting to operate, taking out wrong limbs, and missing the diagnosis, as we the patient, are on our death bed. Last rites are about to be administered, while downtown, we are given a campaign slogan how bright our future will be. Gradnted, it may be in heaven, or another community, but it will not be in Middletown.

So, like the alcoholic, as Mr. Presta began this post, until the problem is recognized, there is no hope to implement change. Succinctly, the problem is not identified nor acknowledged, and the city has surrounded themselves by a few who tell the terminally ill patient, don't worry about, its just a minor head cold. Take two aspirins, call me in the morning.

sj makes referemce to Section 8. That massive problem furthering the decline in property valuation served to benefit the city. It allowed them to create a new department Doug Adkins created and runs with a few on payroll. No decline in numbers, and it fills some of the massive housing stock Middletown has. When will it reach a point you have a home on daVinci, filled with section 8 tenants?        
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 4:02pm
acclaro, You've been very clear in your post that the problem is LEADERSHIP! I agree that what has happened in the past is what has got us to our present predicament. I agree also that you can have a whole room full of PhDs and not solve anything without leadership. I also agree that non-profits will not rectify the situation. Non-profit corparations are what you get AFTER you have a private sector tax base that can sustain the expense of infrastructure, police/fire protection and other necessary government services.
If this council says everything is fine, I'd say we have identified the problem. If having a Section 8 department serves this city, I don't see it. If we can't get new business and industry to move here, we need to change the situation. It all comes down to a change of leadership. Will we talk about it or do something? If we see what is wrong and can't either get our elected leaders to address the issues or replace them with someone who will, then all we are doing is crying over the death of our city.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 4:42pm
If y'all don't shut up i'm gonna go out of my mind...

rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 9:35pm
I'm doing a Tony I know but--  Turd (for short) whats really on your mind?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2011 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

... we need the Cincy St.project to keep the former downtown area afloat. ...

Wait!!! I thought we needed the Pendleton to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!!  I thought we needed the new train station to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed to demolish all of the old buildings to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed the Main Street Project to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed to restore all of the old buildings to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed the Crossroads 2000 to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed Lake Middletown to keep the former downtown area afloat???

No, wait!!! I thought we needed the City Centre Mall to keep the former downtown area afloat???

Wait!!! Remind me again EXACTLY WHY we need to keep the former downtown area afloat!!!

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

"Those answers and solutions just don’t match the real problems that we have!!!

Go back to my original post in this thread!!!"

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 7:58am
Mr.P==
of course "they" need more of yer tax $$, free properties and forgiven "loans" to save the former downtown area(again). Cincy St. will be expensive.

So--
if we now have residential TIFs, which can be used to fund road improvements(and anything else loosely associated), why shouldn't EVERY neighborhood establish TIFs to fund these future improvements, instead of the current "pay your own" policy?

Is Miller Road(north and south) the only residential TIFs? Why?
Will S Main and the Highlands district both be the last areas to be re-done under the "city pay" system?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 8:15am
Only "Ye Olde" portion of South Main Street!!!
The lower portion of S. Main (read that as the part that PRISM has no interest in) will be left to continue to crumble.

Also, look for Kohler to find a way to justify the more expensive "olde tyme" street lights to be installed along with the new paving, curbs, etc.

I wouldn't put it past him to try to get the more expensive "olde tyme" (fake) cobblestone curbs either, if he can sneak it in.  Nothing is too good as long as the taxpayers are footing the bill. 
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 9:40am
Mr. Presta, Thank you for this thread and the insights it has provided. I finally realized that after 44 posts (including this one) that the real question has yet to be asked, so here goes: what IYHO are the real problems that this city faces? Take the position that you are advising a brand new city council. What would you tell them about the real problems this city faces?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 11:13am
I recall Mr. Beckerbeing the most vocal that downtown was dead and really would never come back to what it was true, as most towns have very little dowtown that provides much to lure a heavy traffic pattern). But, if so, why the lack of dissent on the Manchester/ Cinergy/ C State deal?

TonyB, you are correct, the problems have been identified and include leadership. Bright people now for the most part, but intelligence doesn't always and rarely sparks leadership and change. I recommend you look forward to solutions which also have been listed many times over.

Some advocate recalls, others state, wait, November is close enough, lots of council seats open. Logical to me. Know idea who is running, and who is not.

Others indicate downtown needs a center for entertainment. Others say is downtown even needed? To the folks living in the historic strip, they want to protect their property and say yes, put that $$$ into a nice niche historic footprint that matches my 1871 Victorian.

Taxes- most would say rll back taxes to 1.5% as taxation rarerly solves problems nor spurs growth, others might say we have to fund all the city wants and it should be 2.25%. Lower taxes including property taxes, brings in new residents, tax credits bring in new business. Both like to see nice roads and a sense of pride which crumbling streets reflects otherwise. Blame that on city hall, and council for using funds for salaries and hindering the asthetic appeal of the community as citizens detriment.

Schools. Wish Kasich would implement voucher program. Middletown stuck on CI, no better, no worse, a detriment to bringing in those outside Middletown and a part in the leapfrog of Monroe to Austin Reed, bypassing Middletown.

I'll offer my solution. I see Middletown better able to leverage a large area and focusing more on being an attractive residential site, than industrial. Really no significant indistril park, other than Paychex, and what was built never took off. Bring tax rate now, and property tax will take care of itself as the city has plunged so low, and that may help with inflow of new residents, but the problem is there with streets, infrastructure. Few would think it be a valid option for a neighborhood to vote to have streets repaved when that is the function and part of tax base.

Tax structure is not good for business in Middletown. Drove AK hq to West Chester, and some of the wealthiest residents have their businesses in Trenton and Monroe---that speaks volumes about 'business friendly'. 

Will November and new council alter direction? No idea. I look at the school board that has the same members for 20 years or more, and the same problem that sits on council; that being, satisfied with direction and lack of results while telling the masses, progress is being made, inching closer to the finish line. Then, an occasional purge to blame it all on someone else.

Or maybe there is enough agreement to take back the city from those whom have led us down the path of dstruction year after year. Maybe the plan really needs to be---how do we remove the people who destroyed Middletown by getting voters turned out and the right candidates in? The one seems to be an easy solution with the code never cracked TonyB. 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 6:14pm

“What are the real problems that this city faces?”

Great question, TonyB!!!

Who out there thinks that the answer is: “The number one, biggest problem that Middletown faces is ‘how do we keep the former downtown afloat?’”

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 9:00pm
Sam wanted it done, so she did it. Your answer: No.

The Greenwich Village of Ohio, the Carmel of southestern Ohio? Doubtful, but its an 'elitist' thing only a few cultured people would understand. Can't wait for the 'soft' opening and the even better 'hard' opening.

Here's who is opening the act, art....its complicated. Many won't understand. It takes a special cultural exposure to appreciate its value and potential Mr. Presta.

http://youtu.be/KgNmTA728oY

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 9:01pm
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2011 at 9:14pm

Who out there thinks that the answer is: “The number one, biggest problem that Middletown faces is ‘how do we keep the former downtown afloat?’”

NOT I

Gentlemen
Now that the population is below 50,000 the city’s HUD funding will take a major cut. What will the city do now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic