FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Earth Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Earth Day
    Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 6:43am
From the Journal...

Earth Day event to include work at Miami Park

MIDDLETOWN — Miami Park will receive some much-needed renovations as the park of choice for the city’s Earth Day celebrations

Last year, volunteers and members of Keep Middletown Beautiful and the tree commission tackled Douglass Park, removing close to 90 trees and planting 62 new ones. The efforts took several months to complete

Volunteers will be needed to help back-fill the holes for the tree, as well as complete mulching, fence painting and trash removal at Miami Park.

Just a thought.....Couldn't this apply to the Pioneer Cemetery also? Volunteers and a landscaping crew to plant trees and to mulch at the cemetery as well as Miami Park? How is it that they removed the mulch and the flowers that were planted at the cemetery because they claimed they didn't have the manpower to maintain it but Gilleland and company don't object to mulch and tree planting at this park? What's the difference? Don't the mulch and the trees have to be maintained at the parks also? Why wouldn't the Keep Middletown Beautiful people be open to an effort at the cemetery as well as this park? If there is money to buy trees and mulch, isn't there some money to apply to the vault? Perhaps the city stance is to ignore the cemetery at all costs because there has been some backlash from the people wanting it taken care of. If they can find $265,000 to fix the hole in the bike path, couldn't they find some money to apply to the vault? He--, get rid of one DIErector's salary (or two coffee gettin' assistant DIErectors) and we can find the money for the vault. How about the assist.law director's slot. Ole Leslie can pick it up a notch, right Les?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 11:40am
Viet Vet, it's a nice thought but...
The money for trees and mulch probably came from the KMB budget. That's a non-profit organization. You can't dictate to a non-profit how they will spend their money. I do agree that somewhere in the budget there should be money found to fix this problem. It almost seems that this is being done deliberately to spite those who want Pioneer Cemetery properly maintained. It is beneath contempt for public officials to have a vendetta. I hope that is not the case.

I do want to correct your assumption that $265,000 is for fixing the hole in the bike path. It is for replacing the 1000 ft. of sewer pipe. If it were not repaired and water backed up into homeowners' basements, how loud would the complaining be!!! It's actually fortunate that this happened where it did, if this hole had appeared in the middle of the field in the flood plain, it might have been overlooked. At least, this brought immediate attention to the problem. If only a sinkhole would appear in Pioneer Cemetery!!!...

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 11:42am
Vet- Your just not seeing the BIG picture. It's preparation for earth day,that takes precedence over any and everything.There would be no glory in fixing the vault and saving the cemetery,but now earth day,there is glory in saving the earth ! And there might be some federal grant money involved in saving the earth,there is no money in the cemetery.

You know how Gilleland and her trolls like to save the earth,rehab houses for the poor,build doggie parks,invest in bike paths,there is glory in all that,and did I mention MONEY ? Wink
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 2:16pm
TonyB- Wasn't trying to dictate to a non-profit on how they should spend their money. Just a "wouldn't it be nice if they included the cemetery on their list of things to do", that's all. Is Miami Park used that much to warrant this much attention? Is any park, with the exception of Jacot, Douglas or Smith Park used enough to warrant this much attention and diversion of funds from other money targets, including the cemetery?

As to the bike path, I realize that the sink hole isn't the only issue with the spending of the $265,000. I was aware that this included the replacement of the aging pipes as well. Perhaps I was trying to generalize too much for some readers such as yourself.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 2:39pm
Viet Vet, what I mean to say is that KMB probably planned that well in advance. Dictating how to spend a non-profit's money is really just getting on their radar. I guess that because Pioneer Cemetery isn't "used" much anymore, no one sees the need. That is a shame.

The generalization about the bike path is why citizens have such a negative view of our government. For anyone who didn't know the situation, they would read that and think "Why is the city wasting that much money on such an insignificant problem?" I'm more concerned now about the possibility of more flooding. If the river comes out of the banks and into the flood plain again, those replacement pipes will be in Hamilton!!!
rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 4:47pm
Trees cut down by Duke N/C (although consumers may have paid for it if you want to look at it like that) Trees DONATED by Berns.  Maybe this group is or has talked to the powers to be about the cemetery. Maybe these folks would like not to get involved with an issue that keeps appearing in Columbus. Maybe when the time is right and these folks are asked to help they'll be there to help.  The water is muddy enough, all of us care about the cemetery and want it to be a true resting place for the people buried there.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2011 at 9:05pm
rem1187, thank you for your post; a lot of maybes. Do you have answers to all of those maybes? These folks? Time is right? Muddy water? The part about all of us caring doesn't seem to be accurate or this would have already been dealt with. I once worked for Keep Middletown Beautiful when they were Middletown Clean Community. An issue that keeps appearing in Columbus? Are you trying to say that KMB can't get involved because it might affect their funding? Your maybes have raised more questions than answers!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 12:25am

Trees cut down by Duke N/C (although consumers may have paid for it if you want to look at it like that) Trees DONATED by Berns. 

Maybe this group is or has talked to the powers to be about the cemetery.
Who are “this group”?

Maybe these folks would like not to get involved with an issue that keeps appearing in
Columbus.
Who are “these folks”?
If the City doesn’t want to appear in Columbus maybe they should follow the law?

Maybe when the time is right and these folks are asked to help they'll be there to help.
Again who are “these folks”? 

The water is muddy enough, all of us care about the cemetery and want it to be a true resting place for the people buried there.
Please Rem1187 unmuddy the water for me so I can try and understand what you are trying to say.

rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2011 at 3:46pm
The use of the word "maybe" was in response to all the guessing games going on in this thread. If you have already called the city to ask some questions and have not gotten a call back then I would suggest you contact a tree commission member or KMB.  It seems to be rather public, trees being cut down in the middle of a park along Unvr. Blvd. In regards to the cemetery I'm sure it will be a packed house at tonights meeting and if you can't make it, the mins. will be available.  Without a doubt a issue that could have been handled much differently and to top it off a additional layer of bureaucracy to try and fix a problem that is like reinventing the wheel. Cemetery maint. has been around for a while we all know that.  Thanks Ms.Moon for taking my call, always good to talk to you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic