FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Funding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School Funding
    Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 7:15am
Today's Journal....

Districts say school funding picture unclear

According to Thursday’s numbers, Middletown City Schools would receive about $28.3 million from the state, a 6.2 percent increase, in the first year and $29.2 million, a 3.4 percent increase, in the second.

“It looks like the state is going to give it to us piece by piece,” said Robin Long, assistant treasurer at Middletown schools. “As we get each piece we’ll begin to start looking through it.”

ASSISTANT TREASURER????? Middletown needs an assistant treasurer? What does the Treasurer do on a daily basis once the budget is set up? Is the job so overwhelming that they need this position? Thought they were cutting some fat in the higher salary positions in the schools and the city building? In your opinion, Ms. Andrew, is this position really needed? How many other positions like this sit under the radar?
jsmith2011 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2011 at 7:58am
The assistants have assistants in the school district and then they all have a secretary.

20 years ago there were about 4 administration positions in the main office of the school district.  Go to the website and count them now.  3 or 4 times as many positions are being paid and being paid highly. They have directors of everything you can think of but when they have a professional development for the staff they will pay someone to come in and do the instruction.  Any time they are questioned about  funding for any area the response is "it is being paid for by a grant". 

Look at the salaries in Sunday's paper.  There is an employee listed as a substitute teacher and she is making over $50,000.00 a year.  That person was hired into a job several years ago under incorrect procedures and when she could not do the job she was hired to do, they created a position for her.  This happens frequently in the school district.

At the April 4th school board meeting they are going to announce that they have now RIFFED the librarians, the hall monitors and more.  The positions that are filled by classified staff who make low wages but are there for the students. These people will never be hired back but those administrators who are riffed usually find their was back into the system under another job title.

A rumor is  going around that they are already planning to hire Debbie Alberico back under a different position title.  Remember when the school district was trying to pass a levy and there were so many complaints about the assistant superintendent?  They said they cut that position and the person.  Then they changed the title of the position to Senior Director of Learning and hired Betsy Carter.

The school board should be ashamed of themselves.

_popupControl();
rem 1187 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rem 1187 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2011 at 8:53am
Maybe this topic could be filed under the" what a mess" thread. This group of employees needs a wake up call and fast. Have always supported the levies, not anymore. To many stories to go into and I want to make some phone calls to confirm. Academic reality vs. private sector reality.
sickofthebull View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickofthebull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 11:03am
Maybe Marcia can also explain why teachers are being cut and classes loaded up if the financial picture isn't as bleak as they have been projecting...why is this fair???? No librarians??? What on earth are you people thinking?? Why do we need Kathy Jonas, Kathy Jones AND Betsy Carter???? Is Lisa Lowery worth $104,000 a year??? Oh wait, let me guess...grant money pays for them...Head Start instead of a preschool program of our own?? Is it true Head Start doesn't transport? Is it true Head Start is based on income?? Won't that exclude people?? Do you even care??
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 7:53pm
I believe the taxpayers don't know the half of it! Why does Milt Thompson, Ron Klapper and Mike Hammond all drive school district cars AND fill up the tanks at the bus garage? Thompson lives somewhere like Wilmington. So, we pay for all that and who knows what else. How about the I phones all the directors, assistant, principals, and who knows who else have. What does that cost the district a year?
Mrs. Andrews will explain it all to you though....and then tell you to run for school board if you don't like it.
Hey, maybe that's a good idea. Gas is $4.15 a gallon now, I guess if you could get the school district to give you a car and the gas it would be a really good deal. Add that cost to their salaries.
What will it cost for the school district to take Highview and make it fit for 6th graders? Plus new letterhead and everything that goes with it... Why didn't they just put the 6th graders back into their home schools? I'm guessing it's because when they change the name of a school then the Ohio Department of Education rating for Academic Emergency, etc. for the past 7 years drops and they start anew. Makes it look like the district is actually moving ahead of the game.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 11:37pm
Sickofthebull....they are thinking alright, those in the administration building are thinking about saving their own jobs so they are recommending cuts that hurt the schools and the students. They have cut positions of people without even knowing what those employees job involved. For instance, the school district print shop is a good example. They let that employee go and instead will send the printing out to Kinko's or Staple's. How could that cost less? They didn't even realize what all she did until after the fact. They let her go but they kept Thompson, Klapper and Hammond. Oh, and Klapper's son, who now works for the school district too. Wonder what his title will be? Director of what? Wonder if he will get a car too and fill it up at the bus garage. I'm sure he will. Right, Mrs. Andrews, isn't Mr. Klappers son working for the school district too? Exactly what is his title? Also, exactly what is his experience to get a job with the district? Wasn't he selling used cars? Must be nice to be him, get your daddy to hire you and lay off employees who actually have experience.

Same with the libraries. They didn't think or know the details about the libraries. They didn't think about the value of those materials and what is going to happen now that someone isn't responsible to keep tract of the lost books, bill students, take inventory every year. They didn't know that the librarians actually had Academic Standards that they followed to instruct students in the library for each grade level. That was proven in the post where Marcia Andrews mentioned there was no such thing. Well, there is and "volunteers" aren't going to do that. The libraries were much more than what they thought they were. They didn't take into consideration that those employees had years of experience, all they know is books are taken off and put back on the shelf. And now, they have ruined that program and it will never be what it has been in the past. It's sad, for the students.

Go ask any of the certified staff who are taken out of the classrooms constantly for professional developments. Subs are brought in, the classes are chaos, it's not the subs fault. The kids need structure. At the budget meetings, it was brought up over and over at the schools by those staff members....cut the professional development but guess what, the person who is in the administration building would not recommend such a thing, it could be her job on the line! Of course, it's all funded through grants, so they say. Even though there are employees who are supposed to be in charge of all this, they hire consultants to do the work. There are more consultants walking around the schools these days than anyone could imagine. And then the consultants bring in their husbands and others and they get paid too.

The problem is that they have so many highly paid directors and assistants in the administration building no one knows what the other one is doing plus they don't know what goes on in the schools. They make the decisions to cut these people to save their own jobs.

Also, after going back at looking at the staff that were let go at the April board meeting I was surprised that Derrick Bobbett was still employed by this school district. Do you remember when he was the principal of Creekview and was arrested TWICE in one night for a DUI? Why the hell was he still even employed? And I'm sorry but I'll bet any of you on here that when school starts in August there will be a place found for Mrs. Million. They will find a "grant" to fund her salary.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 11:12am
I think the thug who spoke from the OEA and all those teachers whom supporting him are pathetic. An erosion of the middle-class. What a joke. Kasish, the son of a mailman, doesn't care for teachers? How revolting. I'm sick of the outrage and falehoods and WASTE by the state school system and Middletown. Its outrageous. jsmith...you are kidding about school cars aren't you? And employes feeling their cars up and taxpayer expense to drive to work? You get me proof of that and I will personally get in touch with the AG and the Governor's office. The speaker from the OEA just outraged me, and I have 7 generations that taight school. This is so out of hand, the social entitlement is now state workers and those in the school system. ad nauseum, and no longer will be tolerated.   
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 4:25pm

Led by the DEMOCRATIC MAJORITY, Wednesday night the Massachusetts House overwhelmingly voted to strip police officers, teachers, and other municipal employees of most of their rights to bargain over health care, saying the change would save millions of dollars for financially strapped cities and towns.

Where’s all the same hate-speech directed towards the Massachusetts Democrats that was spewed towards Republicans in Ohio and Wisconsin?

Does this mean the thug from the OEA thinks the Massachusetts Democrats hate teachers, too??

Why hasn't this story received the same amount of attention from the mainstream media that Ohio and Wisconsin did???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 6:15pm
Massachusetts is so liberal, Nobama and his union thuggery don't need to waste their time, nor their army of liberal biased reporters from CNN, MSNBC, and the major networks. But Ohio and Wisconsin, Nobama will use the race card and the union nonsense to try to make a play in each state. I don't think he has a prayer of carrying Ohio nor Pa., and Wisconsin probably will be a nail biter. Nobama out in 2012, but the reason for lack of coverage is is union thugs don't want to waste the effort, that state is a lockup. The fake outrage only is where a state is in play. That OEA thug really disgusted me.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2011 at 5:49pm
acclaro- One of the people who work there told me that they fill up their cars there. Why would you doubt it? They also told me that they have a lot more they could tell.....really makes you wonder what goes on.

Also, I checked with someone at John XXIII, they have a paid librarian and volunteers to help her.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2011 at 1:50pm
Mr. P,

What the Democrats in Mass. did was just as wrong as what the Republicans did in Ohio. Wrong doesn't know political boundaries. The media is just as complicit in this finger pointing, holier than thou mentality. If it makes their point, they run it; if not, they ignore it.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 6:54am
Coming to your wallet soon.....wait for it.......another attempt to justify another .......levy.....how 'bout that folks! Just had one a few years ago, didn't we? Asking every two or three years now, aren't they?

Yesterday's Journal..

Middletown Schools discuss likely 2012 levy

MIDDLETOWN — A looming deficit may in turn make 2012 a levy year for Middletown City Schools.

It’s too early to determine what form a levy might take, Long said. An emergency levy, typically the first option considered, is an expiring levy that may result in the district continually seeking renewals.
Since SB 5 does not take hold until existing contracts expire, new contracts may delay the implementation of the controversial initiative for two or three years, depending on contract language.

WHY WERE NEW CONTRACTS NEGOTIATED RIGHT BEFORE SB5? SEEMS CONVENIENT FOR THE TEACHERS DOESN'T IT? NOW, WE WILL WAIT TWO OR THREE YEARS TO SEE THE SHIP RIGHTED AS TO UNION DEMANDS. WHY SCHOOL BOARD, WHY?

Barb Alder, a retired Middletown teacher, said she thinks voters would be sympathetic to the school district if a new levy were presented before voters in 2012.

PROBABLY WRONG ON THAT ONE BARB. MAY BE SYMPATHETIC. DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FO THIS.

“I think people will recognize that because of the cuts to the state budget there’s nowhere else to go except to the voters in this school district,” she said.

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM BARB.

Anna Thacker, the mother of a graduating senior at Middletown High School, disagrees.

“But at some point an administration has to step up to the plate. ... As American citizens, we are just going to have to choke up for a little bit. I’m willing to do that and I am doing that. School districts can do the same thing.”

AMEN ANNA

Sauter said he would be uncomfortable going to voters in 2012 if the school board hasn’t proven it has been wise with money and it is able to raise test scores.

"AND IT IS ABLE TO RAISE TEST SCORES"....AGAIN, RAISE TEST SCORES. HAVEN'T SEEN TEST SCORES RAISED IN ANY APPRECIABLE AMOUNT SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE TESTING. MIDDLETOWN IS ALWAYS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE TOTEM POLE COMPARED TO SURROUNDING DISTRICTS.

Final Ohio Graduation Test results are expected to be released soon. Sauter said he expects scores to be up from last year.

UP FROM THE BOTTOM, BUT PROBABLY STILL NOT ENOUGH TO CALL IT SUCCESS. THE BEST OF THE WORST I WOULD IMAGINE.....AGAIN WHAT IS IT NICK KIDD, MIDDLETOWN RANKS # 592 OUT OF 618 SCHOOL DISTRICTS???? AND FOR HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN THE CASE?

A permanent operating levy can be a hard sell to voters.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. ANY TYPE OF LEVY WILL BE IN THIS ECONOMY AND CONSIDERING THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT AND THE RETURN ON INVESTMENT IN PREVIOUS LEVIES.

Including a loss of federal stimulus money, about 10 percent of Middletown’s funding could be gone next year, according to Long.

SO LET'S BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE POOR PROPERTY OWNERS IS YOUR ONLY SOLUTION?

If two successful years of increased scores are accompanied by an articulate message that the school board and Rasmussen have streamlined the budget in an effective manner, then Sauter said he will feel confident in asking voters to approve another levy.

YOU MAY BE FOOLING YOURSELF MR. SAUTER. WHAT WOULD AN "ARTICULATED MESSAGE" DO FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOTHING MORE TO GIVE IN PROPERTY TAXES OR WHO ARE ABOUT TO LOSE THEIR HOME TO FORECLOSURE? THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR "ARTICULATED MESSAGE".

“Those are the two big issues right now,” he said. “I, personally, am not one to go to the community with an additional levy until we’ve proven those two things.”

JUST SHOW US SOME IMPROVEMENT IN TEST SCORES, GETTING OUT OF THE CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT CATEGORY, IMPROVING ON THE 5 OF 30 INDICATORS, ALL STUCK IN NEUTRAL FOR TEN YEARS PLUS. GIVE US A REASON WHY WE SHOULD APPROVE YOUR LEVY, WHEN WE HAVE GIVEN YOU MONEY IN THE PAST AND NOTHING HAS CHANGED? IT IS LIKE THROWING MONEY AT A LOSING STOCK, KNOWING THERE WILL BE NO RETURN ON INVESTMENT. WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT, MR. SAUTER?

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 8:45am
No one is their right mind will approve a levy for the school district. In the past, I always supported the schools, even with their lack of improvement for the past 10 years, but not anymore. After finding out about all the money that is misspent, all the administrators they hire and all the half truths the board tells the taxpayers, no way. Anyone can go talk to staff, like I did, and find out the truth.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 9:53am
Well put.

Originally posted by jsmith2011 jsmith2011 wrote:

No one is their right mind will approve a levy for the school district. In the past, I always supported the schools, even with their lack of improvement for the past 10 years, but not anymore. After finding out about all the money that is misspent, all the administrators they hire and all the half truths the board tells the taxpayers, no way. Anyone can go talk to staff, like I did, and find out the truth.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:17pm
This must be the 'buzz' Ms. Andrew was speaking about---the 'buzz' that Middletown is so filled with poverty, 66% of the electorate that is so filled with apathy, they don't vote, that these nonseniscal levies keep coming out---over and over. Just a few years ago., the renewal passed, probably with Ms. Andrew telling the teachers to stay )put on hold) their salaries for a year, and then a new levy would be passed to make up for it. Just like what was provided the police and fire department.

Middletown's property values aren't half of what they were 7-10 years ago. Ask Dr. Pledger on daVinci about his once $ Mm home, that he can't sell for $500 Kk today, while paying $25 Kk in taxes. Only an idiot would vote for this levy, as the needle has been stuck on CI for years. I was a fool to support the renewal, but its time Middletown began acting like West Chester and Springboro and people look at the waste and overhead, and cut it to the bone.

They will try to sneak this in probably in May, but it must be shot down. The 'buzz' in Middletown is just a handful vote, that end up passing every levy, while the remaining 66% sit at home, because they can't afford to put gas in their car to go vote.  
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 6:58am
Many of the taxpayers who could always be depended on to vote for the levy are now the parents of students who will be bused all over town next year from Highview, parents of students who will be in classes of 30 at Miller Ridge ( for which teachers get extra pay), parents of students at Wildwood who will have about 500 students and the art teacher pushing a cart because they need the classroom and parents of students who now go to Middletown Middle School with 900 other students. Also, parents of students who will not have trained staff in the libraries and parents of students at the high school who now do not have hall monitors for the students safety.

I can't imagine they will be happy with the outcome.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2011 at 8:26am
This might be one of those rare times where we all sit back and watch what happens with all of the changes that have been made. Ok MCSD, you've made your changes, now let's see results or don't bother with a levy!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 11:29am
Today's Journal....

Senate budget restores $130M for cities, schools

COLUMBUS — In an attempt to lessen the sting felt by budget cuts, Republican state senators are throwing an extra $100 million into the local government fund, putting up $30 million for school districts that earn an excellent rating next school year.......

Whoops! Thought that this was good news for the Middletown schools as to funding and perhaps some relief for property owners from the proposed levy in 2012, but.......it only applies to school districts that may earn an excellent rating next year. Probably not gonna happen by next year for this district.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 4:46pm
I hope the school board can get their records doctored before 2012 so they can claim a chunk of that good ole republicrap money.I hate to see them miss their chance to give all around pay raises.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 4:34am

This shouldn’t be a problem at all.

A few years back, the Ohio Department of Education (ODE) revamped the entire ranking system so that even school districts ranked as low as 602nd out of 612, or so, could be tagged with the bogus “Continuous Improvement” rating even if they fell from say 590th to 599th. This allowed poor performing districts to shed unflattering descriptions and make it sound as if they were making progress, thus making it easier to pass levies.

There is no reason that the ODE bureaucrats, in concert with the OEA, cannot pull another such boondoggle to raise all districts to “excellent” this year. It’s just a matter of redefining a few terms and coining a few new buzzwords.

“Comparatively Excellent” and “Urban Exemplary” both have a nice ring to them.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 6:21am
What say you school board members who monitor this site.....should we lower the standards in the manner that Mike has indicated? If the goal is unachievable for the situation at hand, (being given money by the state for excellence), should you school people champion the resetting of criteria for gaining that excellence just to get the extra money?
Please respond and reveal your character.

The dumbing down continues thanks to the folks in Columbus deciding to lower the bar for accomplishment. Accountability, performance and quality have been thrown out the window in the educational system nowadays. Just lower the standards to the level of actual ability to educate seems to be today's theme. Do you think this is happening in the Asian countries? Probably why they are light years ahead of us in educating their young people.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 6:54am
From today's Journal...

Middletown teachers taking a pay cut
The Middletown Teachers Association also agrees to higher health care costs in 3-year contract.

The Middletown Teachers Association — which represents about 500 teachers — also agreed to freezes on automatic raises and to shoulder a higher portion of their health care costs, which combined with the salary decreases would save the district an estimated $4.1 million.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF PRIVATE INDUSTRY TEACHERS! WE HAVE BEEN PAYING 15-24% OUT OF OUR PAYCHECKS FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW FOR DENTAL AND MEDICAL PREMIUMS IN ADDITION TO THE PREMIUMS THE COMPANY IS PAYING. WE HAVE ALSO SEEN LITTLE TO NO YEARLY RAISES AFTER OUR PERFORMANCE REVIEWS HAVE BEEN GIVEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS NOW TONYB. THE PUBLIC PERKS RIDE MAY BE COMING TO AN END FOR SOME. REALITY IS A HARSH TEACHER.

“With these decreases, we are still in the average salary range in the area,” said Superintendent Greg Rasmussen, adding that district officials are being vigilant long-term. “These are the kinds of things that can’t go on forever.”

SO, WE CAN ASSUME, BY RASMUSSENS'S STATEMENT, THAT MIDDLETOWN TEACHER'S WERE BEING PAID A LITTLE MORE THAN THE AVERAGE SALARIES FOR THE AREA, WHILE THE PERFORMANCE HAS NOT IMPROVED BEYOND CI, THE INDICATORS HAVE NOT IMPROVED BEYOND 5 OF 30 AND THE DISTRICT IS STILL 580th OR SO OUT OF 612 SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN RANKING. IT DOESN'T APPEAR THAT MONEY IS THE MOTIVATOR TOWARD DOING A BETTER JOB AND, LIKE BUILDING NEW SCHOOLS TO ENHANCE PERFORMANCE, THROWING MONEY AT A PROBLEM DOESN'T SOLVE IT EVERYTIME.

So far, the district has cut more than 30 staff positions, closed a middle school and converted an elementary school into a sixth-grade building. In addition, more than 50 teachers, administrators and other staff have accepted an early retirement incentive offer.

HOW MANY HAVE THEY CUT AND RE-ASSIGNED TO OTHER POSITIONS? HOW MANY HAVE THEY HIRED THROUGH THE BACK DOOR THAT HAVEN'T BEEN REPORTED BY THE JOURNAL? HOW MANY DUPLICATIONS OF JOB DUTIES ARE OCCURRING IN THE DISTRICT?

SB 5 would reduce collective bargaining rights and eliminate seniority-based pay increases, among other items.

The measure would not to take effect until an existing contract expires, so Middletown’s new deal will delay SB 5’s impact for three years.

HOW CONVENIENT.

The contract is expected to be finalized in the latter part of June, according to Debbie Alberico, the district’s communications specialist.

“This is a unique situation,” Alberico said. “Our employees understand the economy is down right now and they’re willing to do whatever they have to do to keep our students whole.”

Alberico said the long-term savings will help the district maintain best practices for students, such as keeping class sizes down.

She said it was unclear at this point whether the savings may offset any future position cuts.

ALBERICO HAS SPOKEN. NOW, GIVE HER HER $98,000 PAYCHECK FOR THE GOOD WORK HERE. COULDN'T RASMUSSEN HAVE SAID THIS AND ELIMINATED ALBERICO'S SALARY? THIS IS A TREMENDOUS WASTE OF MONEY TO HAVE THIS POSITION.

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 9:18am
Subtract about $30k from Alberico's salary and you'd be more accurate, Vet. A quick search at the Buckeye Institute's website shows in 2010 she made $66,127.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 9:42am
^^^^

Which I'll add is not uncommon for an experience communications/community relations professional in the prviate sector.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsmith2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 9:51am
I think Vet has a more accurate amount of Debbie Alberico's salary when you add in all the benefits that go along with that position: mileage, she has an Iphone the district pays for, computer/Ipad the district paid for, health insurance, dental insurance, eye insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, sick and vacation days and who knows what else.

Let's see after June 30th, which is the reduction in force date for employees, I'll bet Debbie will still be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic