FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Becker TRIPLE Dipper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Lostdafire View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostdafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:12pm
How many double dippers can you identify working for the city?

A retired police officer in public works.  Who was Police Chief then?

A retired firefighter as a nurse in health.

The purchasing agent, retired and rehired in the very same position.  Who was City Manager then?

Two secretaries retired and now working again in personnel?  Oh, but they may be temps.  Yeah, that's right, temps.  Has it been  5 or 6 years now???  How temporary is that?  Who was City Manager then?

What others are there?

Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 11:00am
Becker is being encouraged to run for another term by the old guard elite. They love the people that carry their water!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 11:12am
Lostdafire...

"Two secretaries retired and now working again in personnel? Oh, but they may be temps. Yeah, that's right, temps. Has it been 5 or 6 years now??? How temporary is that?"

Don't know how it works now, but back in the late 80's at P&G, we used temps to help out on some of the project work. They demanded that we hire them after months on the job because they had accrued a certain number of hours to be deemed full time rather than temporary. Apparently if a company has a need for more than 2000 hours accrued as a temp, they are obligated to hire the people full time. If these two secretaries have been on the job for 5 or 6 years, I would bet that they can't be legally carried as temps anymore. Wonder if the city building knows that they may be in violation of long ago maxing out the hours for temp. classification for these two?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:30pm
Perhaps Mr. Becker is looking for his 3rd pension? Would a city council member drawling $5,000 annually and at age 62 through his term, be entitled to a pension Midd29? If so, that is really milking the system. Or, maybe he promised John Boehner another gavel and the ol guard wants to have him still in office. The composition of council will never change. Its controlled by church affilaition and the 'lifer' social network in the city, same as city hall and the jobs.  '
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 5:29pm
His City Council salary will be combined with his Warren County job to determine his second pension.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 6:55pm
When did elected office become a job instead of public service? When did elected representatives begin to earn a salary instead of compensation for their time? Why are elected officials allowed to remain in office long enough to earn a pension? Could someone educate me on the legality and ethics involved here?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:08am
Not only do local elected officials get a pension, they can for a very modest cost purchase sn extra year or pension credit got every four years of elective office. Many will service several years as a council member or township trustee then take a full time job for three years at a significantly higher salary and draw a pension as though they worked full time their entire career. Becker will get a second pension from County job with extra service years from his Council job at 5 years for every 4 years of time on Council. This is why he will run again. He has no interest in serving other than what it dies for his second pension he is lining up for himself.

Don't expect the politicos in Columbus to change this. Most of them are riding this taxpayer funded gravy train.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:43am
No wonder Uncle Bill looks so happy in the picture above. Big bucks for milking the system and the taxpayer. Good job, Bill in taking advantage in the fleecing of the taxpaying public.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:12pm
If he runs again he need to be extensively exposed for what he is!!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 7:47pm
705.92 Procedure for removal of elective officer by recall.

Any elective officer of a municipal corporation may be removed from office by the qualified voters of such municipal corporation. The procedure to effect such removal shall be:

(A) A petition signed by qualified electors equal in number to at least fifteen per cent of the total votes cast at the most recent regular municipal election, and demanding the election of a successor to the person sought to be removed, shall be filed with the board of elections. Such petition shall contain a general statement in not more than two hundred words of the grounds upon which the removal of such person is sought. The form, sufficiency, and regularity of any such petition shall be determined as provided in the general election laws.

(B) If the petition is sufficient, and if the person whose removal is sought does not resign within five days after the sufficiency of the petition has been determined, the legislative authority shall thereupon order and fix a day for holding an election to determine the question of the removal of the elective officer, and for the selection of a successor to each officer named in said petition. Such election shall be held not less than thirty nor more than forty days from the time of the finding of the sufficiency of such petition. The election authorities shall publish notice and make all arrangements for holding such election, which shall be conducted and the result thereof returned and declared in all respects as are the results of regular municipal elections.

(C) The nomination of candidates to succeed each officer sought to be removed shall be made, without the intervention of a primary election, by filing with the election authorities, at least twenty days prior to such special election, a petition proposing a person for each such office, signed by electors equal in number to ten per cent of the total votes cast at the most recent regular municipal election for the head of the ticket.

(D) The ballots at such recall election shall, with respect to each person whose removal is sought, submit the question: “Shall (name of person) be removed from the office of (name of office) by recall?”

Immediately following each such question, there shall be printed on the ballots, the two propositions in the order set forth:

“For the recall of (name of person).”

“Against the recall of (name of person).”

Immediately to the left of the proposition shall be placed a square in which the electors may vote for either of such propositions.

Under each of such questions shall be placed the names of candidates to fill the vacancy. The name of the officer whose removal is sought shall not appear on the ballot as a candidate to succeed the officer’s self.

In any such election, if a majority of the votes cast on the question of removal are affirmative, the person whose removal is sought shall be removed from office upon the announcement of the official canvass of that election, and the candidate receiving the plurality of the votes cast for candidates for that office shall be declared elected. The successor of any person so removed shall hold office during the unexpired term of the successor’s predecessor. The question of the removal of any officer shall not be submitted to the electors until such officer has served for at least one year of the term during which he is sought to be recalled. The method of removal provided in this section, is in addition to such other methods as are provided by law. If, at any such recall election, the incumbent whose removal is sought is not recalled, the incumbent shall be repaid the incumbent’s actual and legitimate expenses for such election from the treasury of the municipal corporation, but such sum shall not exceed fifty per cent of the sum that the incumbent is by law permitted to expend as a candidate at any regular municipal election.

Effective Date: 08-22-1995
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:10pm
Mtown29, if I didn't know any better; I'd say you're inviting a wholesale citizens rebellion!!! lol   As I said before, VOTE THEM OUT!!! I don't know about recall only because of the expense involved. If the voters did a little more due dilligence before they cast their ballot, we might begin to change these kinds of things. I say if the system's broken, fix it. If elected officials won't fix it, VOTE THEM OUT!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:31pm
Middletown29- recall has been discussed on this forum many times. We talked about going to Hamilton to the Board of Elections to pick up the signature lists, enlisting registered voter signatures in each ward and doing the recall thing for council and the school board. We figured we would need somewhere in the 1500 to 1800 number range out of 8000 or so who voted last time. In each discussion, no action was taken as folks on this forum seemed to be less than enthusiastic to the idea. Check some of the discussion if interested, I believe, in the city council section of this forum.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 9:51pm

Instead of a recall,Cant council vote someone off Council?Good Ole Mayor Mullethead asked A.J.(I dont give a damn about the citizens) Smith to resign so IMO they have power to do  so. I know if I was sitting in one of those chairs and the citizens want a certain person gone then I think I would see it through.Again JMO.As good ole pa always said "Opinions are like buttholes,everyone has one."LOL

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:51pm
LMAO
City Council does not have the power/authority to remove a member of Council. Council members are elected by the public and the public needs to remove them from office either via a recall or at a regular council election.

Not sure to recall a ward council member if you need signatures of the appropriate percentage from that ward only or the entire City. Has anyone ever checked on this issue?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:58pm
It was mentioned on another thread how many people had to sign the petition for a recall.Plus the cost on it was wayyyyyyyy out in left field.As someone mentioned,Guess we just need to watch where we mark that "X".If I was A.J.(Id hurt myself) I think I would of stepped down when asked to.Then I'd go kiss some more butt at the Union Hall.LOL
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 11:49pm
LMAO

Not sure about your response and whether the recall would apply only to the ward or the entire City. Also, O do not think the cost would be significant. Can you give some examples of what the cost would be?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

LMAO

Not sure about your response and whether the recall would apply only to the ward or the entire City. Also, O do not think the cost would be significant. Can you give some examples of what the cost would be?
It was in another thread that was one here.Have to look for it and get back with yea.Can someone point me in the right direction?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:46am
According to the ordinance posted above, there is a sum that a candidate cannot exceed while running for municipal office. First off, I question the legality of limiting a candidate to a specific dollar limit to run for office. Second, according to the ordinance, if an incumbent is petitioned for recall but not replaced, the incumbent is entitled to up to 50% of legitimate expenses for the campaign to keep their seat, paid for by the city treasury. I have no idea what it costs to mount a campaign for city council but I would imagine that any current or former city councilperson or the treasurer of such campaign could tell you.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:54am
It was in this topic that had had the information about # of votes for a recall, etc.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 11:16am
There was a thread about who would be eliagable to cast a vote on the ones that are being recalled.If it was only the ones in that ward or the whole town.Plus there was a price to get the ball rolling.If my memorey is correct it was a few thousnd dollars.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:28pm
If you circulated petitions to recall more than one council member you could reduce the cost on a per council member basis.

Perhaps AJ Smith and Bill Becker could both ne recalled.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 7:42am
Add Picard to the recall list. What a hypocrite.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 3:36pm
Middletown29- how about a recall effort for all but Scott-Jones and Laubach on council, the entire school board, reducing the city income tax from 1.75% back to 1.50% or lower, and to place the streets/infrastructure money back into that account and take it out of the General Fund where it has been since the mid 80's?

Might as well cover all we can while we're asking registered voters for their signatures. But, with the apathy, realistically, won't happen. There's enough anger in this town, just not enough wanting to get off the couch to fix the problems by backing up what they are saying, including here.

Can't get anyone who has time to go to Hamilton to get the signature lists, can't get enough people to pass them out in their respective areas of the city and can't get anyone to return the signatures to Hamilton for verification.......and the city leaders love it.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 4:10pm
A matter of clarification:
Mulligan, Scott-Jones, and  Becker (all at-large) and Allen (Ward One) are all up for re-election this November, assuming they choose to run, so no recall is necessary.

This still leaves us with the real problem:  We must find candidates to run against them!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 7:25pm
i) Mr. Mulligan will because he wants to be in a position to impact Ohio's Presidential election in 2012, and wants the added $5,000 to go with his $70,000 to make for a $150,000 pension at age 62.

ii) Mr. Mulligan will because it gives First Financial Bank some exposure and more importantly, he actually thinks Middletown is turning the corner!

iii) Ms. Scot-Jones will because it gives Brown Mackie exposure and she feels her work is not done, and better get on council before the at large system is in full force.

iv)  Mr. Allen is 50/50, not certain what FB&T likes to have for years of community service and if his tenure to date counts or if the school Board begs him to stay on with all the changes in SR5 and funding issues. Probably will stick around.

SO, THAT MEANS....there are no alternative candidates. We march on, as we have in the past, as we will in the future. MMF already has the B team ready if some members of A team drop out. Just my humble opinion of course. Suspect Mr. Marconi is on B, maybe C team within MMF. 

Alternative candidates? There will be none.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic