FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Becker TRIPLE Dipper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 7:28pm
i) Substitution: Mr. Becker, not Mr. Mulligan above. Still...no alternative candidates.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 7:33pm
acclaro - forgive my ignorance but, what is MMF?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 7:46pm
acclaro...Mike P. your cue to tell TonyB who comprises and what MMF means and what they are doing to this town.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 11:39pm
TonyB,it means Moving Middletown Forward, comprised of the city law director, a few other city employees, and a unique inner circle of Middletown's 'finest', the chosen ones, who work for city leadership, and who city leadership drum up money in the range of about $50,000 for select candidates they want to control as council members. I'm sure Mr. Presta could add further illumination, but at a high level, it is a handful of people who make sure there is no rain on their party in the city of Middletown regarding who gets what jobs, bids, favors, special interests, and other considerations. You might think of it TonyB, as Middletown's ruling class. Some call it the 'dark side' establishment.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:22am
Or in other words people who have the "Drop" on this crowd, at least thats how I read it from these other post.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 7:02am
TonyB- adding to acclaro's post, it is my opinion that the MMF'ers control the direction of this town, behind the scenes, by selecting, financing and directing the people they place on council, the school board, the committees, who gets in the city building as they direct Gilleland and others on hiring and who gets the benefit of this so-called "business friendly" town as they dictate who gets to set up shop here and who doesn't through court jester Marty Kohler, Planning Director. They are a cancer, a scourge, a plague on the health of this town. They are the people's worst enemy as to city government working for the people. They set the agenda for the town's direction. I believe Ken Cohen, President of Cohen Brothers Scrap operation is listed as President of MMF. Dick Slagel could be another member (not listed on the website). As acclaro mentions, perhaps Mike Presta could fill you in on the specifics and who are other members of this "town destroying" group. If you go to their website, it paints a glorious picture that appears to be a front as to what they are really about. It also is very dated as it has some members that are no longer in the picture like Marconi, Armbruster, Schiavone and Leslie Ford on council and Bill Murphy as the Econ. Dev. Director.....long gone.

These are the people (as well as past city leaders) who have contributed (with some help from the economy along the way) to the total devastation of this town, taking it from a once thriving city with good schools, plenty of good paying jobs, decent housing, ample shopping, friendly, prideful people, decent city government with a semblence of competency to it, and a city that offered hope as opposed to what you see now. Hell, MMF President Cohen doesn't even live in town....lives in Maineville, but runs one of his businesses here.

Indications are people like Mulligan, Becker, Picard, Allen, Schiavone, Gilleland, Kohler, Landen, some school board members, past council and past school board members.....all bought and paid for, have a hidden agenda that is inner circle driven, make decisions that favor special interests rather than the general populace, take direction from and are puppets for the MMF. They must be because they sure as hell aren't doing the decision making for the benefit of the majority of the citizens who are outside looking in. JMO
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 9:11am
Vet and acclaro - thanks for the info. tried but could not go to the website of MMF.
I do think instead of puppets you ought to call them marionettes. Puppets don't have strings that can be pulled, you place your hand inside a puppet from the bottom up and... wait a second. Forget I said anything... lmao
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 10:57am
Les Landon is involved in the political behind the scenes manuverings and in doing so is violating the City personnel policies he is charged with enforcing. Les has he nose so far up Becker and Picard's butts his face is starting to look like....well you know where I am going with this.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 11:58am
TonyB, from my recollection, without doing reserach, I recall one of the main thrists for this group's creation, which was about 2 years ago, to focus upon eliminating the ward system in Middletown, and having all 'at large' council members elected. The obvious and self evident rationale behind this action, was to give a far greater of the majority on comucil, to members whom MMF could dictate and control in the majority. Typically, ward members were slightly more independent and would have a tendency to buck the at large members.

So, to take care of this inconvenience, MMF was formed. Initially, it was defeated. Then Les Landen, city law director, became the official point of contact legally, in the entity that was a non profit, which ws identified as Moving Middletown Forward. I suppose many would question if there to be a conflict of interest between a city law director and a group that dictates whom runs for council, whom gets campaign funds, and what controlling agenda rules Middletown.

Les hired a Columbus attorney who practiced ballot and election law, and within a few weeks, the old ward system was eliminated and the 'at large' system put in place. It doesn't take an IQ of 130 or above to comprehend what motivated this organization and the elimination of the ward system.

Besides finding pamplets distributed at city hall outside the city manager's office as I have read by Paul Nagy and others, MMF has made a deliberate and aggressive stance to assert their position, their politics, and the compass they wish to set Middletown's direction. Unfortunately, these are the same people whose failures in city afffairs and guarding their interests and led to the demise of Middletown in short order.

Therefore, in my opinion, that is what MMF to be, and the danger and damage it has inflicted. You might consider it a moveon.org, with funding, not uite in the $Bb range, but selective, with an agenda, and fund raising tied to specific candidates they control. Speculation is substantial this group placed Mr. Allen on council. The end result is a council that is ruled by city leadership, and not by city residents. You be the judge why a city attorney would head this organizaton and the impact it has had. Their mantra is: 'my way or the highway.' Have you heard that stated recently----try the Mayor's speech.       
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

acclaro - forgive my ignorance but, what is MMF?

Mr. B.: The saga of MMF is completely documented within the archives of this very forum!!! If you are truly interested--and anyone concerned with the problems of our fair city should be--I suggest you set aside a good deal of time to read the following in chronological order. Do not merely scan this info!!! Read it carefully.

Begin with this thread:

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1077 But don’t be fooled!! The thread starts out as a discussion/speculation on the mayor’s then upcoming 2009 State-of-the-City speech. However, the thread soon takes a twist with Impala SS’s (the late Tom Rapp) 11 Mar 2009 at 2:29pm post introducing “Moving Middletown Forward”.

(An interesting side note is that the mayor’s speech that yearis much the same as every year: Bright Future; no problems--just accomplishments; downtown is critical & this year’s scheme is the key; etc.; don‘t listen to the naysayers.)

Then go here:

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1090

Then go here:

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1803

Then finally go here:

http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2246

In conclusion, regardless of the facts indicating that city administration from the City Manager on down were involved in illegal electioneering and conspiracy, the legendary apathy of Middletown’s voters prevailed. Very few people seemed to care, and the MMF-backed candidates swept the elections. We remain the city of a “Brighter future” with no problems, great accomplishments, risky schemes, and critical downtown renewal at the expense of other areas. Forbes is wrong. Several of the winning city council candidates had campaign donations of TENS of thousands of dollars for their piddling $5K/year seats on the council of a dying city, and we are still waiting on “alien” to provide evidence of his "spaced out" contentions.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:19pm
Thanks to all who have educated on the MMF issue. Special thanks to Mr. Presta for referrencing the previous threads when this was occurring.
First let me state that after reading the law abour CICs, I'm glad I decided against law as a career!!! Damn, that is a confusing set of bs.
I have so many questions about this I'm not even sure where to start. Since starting somewhere is better than nothing, here goes:
   1. Has there ever been a determination about the difference between Middletown Moving Forward, CIC; and Moving Middletown Forward which could only be characterized as a Political Action Committee?
    2. Is Middletown Moving Forward a closed group in the sense that they ask you to join instead of you asking them if you could join?
     3. Could someone clear up my confusion concerning conflict of interest betwwen MMF,CIC and government officials voting on issues or contracts that members of this organization might benefit from?
     4. Has there now or ever been any investigations for criminal wrongdoing in this matter?
     5. Has there now or ever been an investigation into how a PAC document was placed in an information dissemination rack in front of the city managers office.

I have more questions; however, this is a pretty good start. I must tell you in all honesty that I wish I had remained blissfully ignorant about all of this; problem is now that I know, I am not pleased. If any group of citizens wish to organize for the purpose of advancing an agenda that they see as beneficial to this city; I applaud their effort. If, however; any group has violated the law in this pursuit I take offense.

I will say that if this Moving Middletown Forward group actually coached any of the candidates in public speaking; they did a poor job; IMO. I have not seen a single council member that I would consider an effective public speaker with the possible exception of Mr. Laubach. If you are going to advance an agenda, best to find someone who has the skills to represent!

On an entirely different side note: while I was reading the threads Mr. Presta posted, I noticed a post by Hermes that predicted that a candidate for President of the United States would need to raise $1B to do so. Hermes, I think we've found you a new career field: soothsayer!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:48pm
TonyB, I will respond to a large topic of discussions which focus upon malfeasance and potential wrongdoing in Middletown by city leaders and council members, but I have madeno effort to followup, extract facts, status, or otherwise. To begin, a PAC is centered predominately upon federal elections, so I surmise MMF would not fall under the guise of a PAC. I seriously doubt if any effort at teh state level or complaint has been filed. Like most states, these efforts are generally useless and yeild very little results. FootNote: See Vietnam Vet's reference of the Middletown Cemetary mediation efforts and the camoaign led by Vivian Moon which yielded little more than an effort to clean it would occur with more outstanding issues than determination.

I have not been approached by MMF, nor would I have the least desire to be associated with it, so I cannot speculate as to how open or closed its membership to be. I suspect its rather ad hoc. I will indicate this was a cloaked attempt to focus not upon elected officials, rather; focusing on the problems facing Middletown and finding "solutions". The immediate outcome was the elimination of the ward system, which current actions by AJ Smith serve to buttress that elimination as many would hold to be true.  

Silence can and is golden on the votes associated with MMF; you do not have to be a gifted orator, simply stating yes to what you are told serves the purpose in a most fashionable manner.

You mentioned Goldman Sachs and others, and as you brought up PAC, lets evaluate how much support the state workers throw to the Democrats. It is no secret what party AJ Smith is affilaited, and why his mind has wandered off city business into state and federal associated with the union restructuring.

Sorry I cannot give a more detailed legal analysis of MMF, I am certain nothing has. will be pursued. The state municipality union is 99% Democratic, Goldman Sachs,69% Dem. 

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 7:54am
acclaro - thanks for the info. I was under the assumption that a Political Action Committee could be organized at any level. It's the tax status that makes it attractive to those who wish to influence our federal officials. The question about MMF membership was really about whether it was an open or closed group. I do agree that you do not have to be a gifted orator to follow directions or vote as ordered. At some point, however; you have to put a public face to your actions. My contention was that they didn't do a very good job of candidate training. Of course, if you have enough campaign money, you can overcome  a lot.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:59pm

Thanks to all who have educated on the MMF issue. Special thanks to Mr. Presta for referrencing the previous threads when this was occurring.
First let me state that after reading the law abour CICs, I'm glad I decided against law as a career!!! Damn, that is a confusing set of bs.
I have so many questions about this I'm not even sure where to start. Since starting somewhere is better than nothing, here goes:
   1. Has there ever been a determination about the difference between Middletown Moving Forward, CIC; and Moving Middletown Forward which could only be characterized as a Political Action Committee?
    2. Is Middletown Moving Forward a closed group in the sense that they ask you to join instead of you asking them if you could join?
     3. Could someone clear up my confusion concerning conflict of interest betwwen MMF,CIC and government officials voting on issues or contracts that members of this organization might benefit from?
     4. Has there now or ever been any investigations for criminal wrongdoing in this matter?
     5. Has there now or ever been an investigation into how a PAC document was placed in an information dissemination rack in front of the city managers office.

I have more questions; however, this is a pretty good start. I must tell you in all honesty that I wish I had remained blissfully ignorant about all of this; problem is now that I know, I am not pleased. If any group of citizens wish to organize for the purpose of advancing an agenda that they see as beneficial to this city; I applaud their effort. If, however; any group has violated the law in this pursuit I take offense.
Mr. B,
You posted this less than two hours after I posted the links above.  With all due respect, and with absolutely no offense intended, I doubt if that was enough time to actually read and absorb the multitude of verbose posts included in the lengthy threads represented by those links.  I think that much of the information that you request is included within said posts.
Now I am a poor typist, so I am not inclined to re-type the answers to all of your questions.  However, you seem like a sincere and interested individual, so I would be willing to meet with you and answer your questions and explain anything in as great as detail as your desire and my memory allow, if you would prefer that to sifting through those threads.  (I realize that there are several long posts that cite sections of the Ohio Revised Code--ORC--and other side bar type discussions that may have clouded the points in which you might have been most interested.)
I am open as to time and location of such a meeting.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 8:01am
Mr.Presta,
Thanks for the post: I did read and absorb the threads you recommended. I seem to be fortunate about reading and comprehension; I believe that's why I did well in school.
I would be more than willing to meet with you to discuss this matter. The time would be at your convenience; as to the place, somewhere downtown would be best for me, the library or perhaps the newest and the hip place to meet, the PAC. I'll leave it to you and I will take your suggestion and re-read the material posted.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 5:43pm

I would be more than willing to meet with you to discuss this matter. The time would be at your convenience; as to the place, somewhere downtown would be best for me, the library or perhaps the newest and the hip place to meet, the PAC.
Mr. B,

As to place, anywhere in Middletown would be fine with me. As to time, Friday evenings after six and Monday evenings after eight are difficult. This would seem to rule out PAC, as my understanding is that they are only open to the public one Friday evening per month. Also, due to health reasons, I cannot stroll around and talk (at least not for a very long).

The library would be fine, assuming we could use one of the meeting rooms so that we could talk without disturbing other patrons who may wish to read or study.

Any of Middletown’s restaurants or taverns would also be okay with me. I am retired, so it would be easy for me to accommodate your schedule outside of the Monday and Friday evening periods that I mentioned above.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 6:01pm
Mr. P,

How about the library, noon, on Tuesday? I don't drive right now so the downtown area is most convenient for me.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 7:04pm
Mr. B,
I prefer evenings, but if it will help the city I will make the sacrifice.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 9:13pm
Mr. P  Evening is not a problem for me. How about 7PM on Tuesday at the library?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 9:54pm
Believe it or not, I just made another appointment for 6 pm Tuesday.  Also, Councilman Smith's "Coversation with Council" is Tuesday evening.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 10:42pm

Mr. P,

Since I live in Mr Smith's ward, I'll just meet you there.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 11:57pm
OK , but I'll likely be late...around 7.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2011 at 12:04pm
Well, the "double-dipper" saga continues, just not in Middletown this time.....

Journal story

Township rehires retiring employee
Clearcreek Twp. Administrator Dennis Picket, set to retire July 31, will return Oct. 3.

After 26 years as township administrator and 35 years in local government, Pickett, who earned about $91,200 in 2010, will retire July 31, entitling him to retirement payments of about $5,000 a month.

Wednesday’s vote means he will be rehired Oct. 3 for two years and paid $82,500 the first year, $85,000 the second year.

In addition, he will receive a monthly $275 car allowance and up to $5,000 a year in a retirement savings plan, as well as full health insurance and a $50,000 term life insurance policy

A great job/retirement situation if you can get it.

Ridiculous.....

Kinda explains the reasons for the indignation/hatred of public officials and there little games played, whether the public likes it or not. The people in office voting to rehire these double-dippers don't seem to care about public opinion nor the repercussions of these decisions. Perhaps we voters need to remember their names at election time and tell them they are no longer needed in office.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2011 at 4:26pm
Seems Becker is at it again. This time he definitely has a conflict. Bet his inside man Les Landon will help him keep he council seat.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2011 at 6:29pm
From the MJ:

Becker hired as new Deerfield administrator

Former Warren County Emergency Services director will assume township duties on Aug. 1.

By Denise G. Callahan 5:53 PM Wednesday, July 20, 2011

DEERFIELD TWP. — The ink on former township administrator Dave Duckworth’s resignation was barely dry when trustees offered the job to Warren County Emergency Services Director Bill Becker.

Township trustees sealed a two-year deal with Becker on Tuesday. Becker will earn $110,000 a year, which is up from his county salary of $71,400.

Trustee Board President Pete Patterson said Becker is a good fit for the township.

“We at the township were fortunate to have somebody like Bill Becker come back and join us, with his skills and abilities” he said. “He is going to be a really good addition to our staff.”

Patterson reached out to Becker after Duckworth’s resignation 
was tendered July 8. Becker will assume his duties at the township on Aug. 1.

Becker, who is also Middletown’s vice mayor, served as interim administrator before for the township after Dan Evers resigned in 2009. He took over as Warren County’s emergency services director after Frank Young was ousted in March of last year.

Duckworth said he was resigning his $117,500 position for health and personal reasons. Patterson said there was no rift between Duckworth and the trustees.

Trustees hired a national search firm to find a new administrator after Evers left. Duckworth joined the township in April 2010. Becker said he could have probably stayed on at the township, but he thought the move to the county was best at that time.

“They were doing a search and when this job came up, for a lot of reasons at the time I thought it was the best move,” he said. “Obviously things did not work out with Duckworth and they liked what I was doing there before, and I liked it so it seemed to be the right thing to do.”

The trustees also approved a separation agreement with Duckworth on Tuesday that included nine weeks pay or approximately $20,334.

Trustee Dan Corey said Becker’s tenure with the county will bring added value to the township.

“We are fortunate he did spend some time up at Warren County,” Corey said. “He got to know the folks up there and he is going to bring relationships he established up there back to our community.”

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic