FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Becker TRIPLE Dipper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Becker TRIPLE Dipper
    Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:22am

It is very interesting to read Bill Becker's statements regarding the City's financial condition and proclamation about "we can't keep doing business as usual around here" all while he collects three pay checks from the taxpayers.

Becker collects a public pension, City Council salary and a salary as Director of the Warren County Emergency Services (911) Center.

Where is his sacrifice?

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:43am
Are you implying that if Becker were to resign from one of those positions the taxpayers would somehow save some money?

If so, explain how that would work and you have my full support.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:43am
How dare he collect benefits he worked for as part of an employement contract and then actually get paid for doing new completely different jobs!

I suppose we should also do something about those inconsiderate private sector folks who draw social security and work part-time jobs. Or the AK retirees who get their pension and work somewhere else.

So your complaint here is that a person (and frankly it doesn't matter if it is Bill Becker or Ronald McDonald) worked in a job in which one of the benefits was a retirement plan, and then after retiring from that job they have the audacity to go back to work and actually get paid for that work. Seriously? Your outrage is a bit misplaced I think. That's not even the definition of double or triple dipping. If he was getting a salary from three sources for doing the same job, then I'm right there with you. But he's doing two different jobs (Middletown City Councilman and Director of Warren County Emergency Services) in addition to receiving his rightly-earned retirement benefits from his years with the Middletown Division of Police. Three different jobs. Getting paid for each is not triple-dipping, it's having multiple incomes.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:51am
Yes, Bill Becker has been saying the same thing for many years now. He said it while he was city manager. He said it from some of his earliest days on council. However, Bill nor the rest of council heed his warning and haven't changed the game plan in years. The "we can't keep doing business as usual around here" slogan is still being said and ignored. The story is that Becker was given the city manager's job to boost his city retirement from the police chief position. Don't know if that's true or not. He didn't have any previous city manager experience to qualify. "Ole Bill knows how to play the game to milk the system and to supplement his retirement, that's for sure. Another thing that needs to be fixed in the public AND PRIVATE sectors. Look at the number of people who have retired only to be called back as "consultants" or to assume another position set up for them. Killing the taxpayer while they protect the people from their own little kingdom. After all, we "can't keep doing business as usual" in the double-dipper area either.   
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:58am
Ahh, but middletownscouter, the people who work all their lives and draw SS, and who work another job are limited as to how much income they can earn on that other job. Same goes for those AK workers too. Becker doesn't have the same situation.

The issue here is not whether Becker wemt back to work as much as it is that he was "hand selected" for the city manager's job because he was an insider and friends with the people who put him in the job. He also had a leg up operating within the network to land the Emergency Services job too. The outrage to me is that it involved the insider club and the ease in which he obtained these jobs, almost as if he was destined to land them without any competition or consideration for a more qualified person.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 12:55pm
Scouter, not certain what planet you'have been on, but here's why the double, triple dip exists. its because the counties, public sector believes they save money by hiring these folks associated with savings on the pension contribution. You need examples where they perform the same job? easy to identify. School superintendants that come back, take the same position in same district or do the same job in another district. police chiefs that resign and do the same job in another city. try this: retired Middletown police chief in Carlise, Becker in Warren Cty, hardly qualified to be an Emergency Response leader, nor qualified to be a city manager. Need another example that are infinite: Pat Burg, head of Butler Cty Health, retired, and doing the same job again as a second dip, at $73,000, drawling probably $80,000 on retirement.

What's the complaint? Well, I know of absolutely no private sector jobs you retire at age 50 do you? Secondly, you/ theyare taking jobs from others. That's the only point I agreed with JC Shew on his campaign effort. These double dippers, many with high school degrees, are in the same position, and making $175 Kk- $200 Kk annually.

Final point: it is virtually impossible for anyone in the private sector to break into the public sector gravy train, but the politics allow extraordinary poor public servants, many fired, to easily move into the same position in another county. Look at the treasurer at Springboro, took a position in Miamisburg within a month after taking same position in Springboro. Do that in private sector, and you'd never work again.

Many missing the pt: these folks are retiring at 50, and drawling 90% salary, while keeping the same job and making 80% or >. Anyone who thinks that acceptable is not looking at age 65 for retirement in private sector. 15 years makes a hell of a difference Scouter. others.   
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 1:06pm
middletownscouter:

While it is a fact that the jurisdiction that hires the double or triple dipper might save a little money over what they would pay someone not doubling or tripling down. It is also a fact that double and triple dippers cost the pension systems money. They pay into the system again as double/triple dippers and collect an additional pension with only a very small number of years of additional service.

Becker stands to collect an additional pension on top of his existing pension at age 62. It is not limited like social security.

He is milking the system.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 1:32pm
M29, that's an excellent point. So these public sector employees that can retire at 50 based on years 'in', can double dip, make virtually twice their income for years, and then have two pensions to drawl from? No wonder the state pension system is broken and being reformed. I read in Santa Mesa, California they are going to lay off 250 of 400 city workers for pension problems. I had no idea besides the easy money to be made off the system, they also got a second penison. What a sweetheart deal, when the private sector gets bounced every 5 years, pay into a 401K, and lucky if a company matches 10% of contribution.

Totally agree: its called milking the system for all its worth. What a life.   
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 2:53pm
This is the typical example of the public sector mimicking the private. I refer you to the CEO of Goldman Sachs, who, upon his leaving the company, made 462 MILLION dollars. Then the company he left has to be bailed out by the taxpayers. Wrong is wrong. This public sector double dipping is just as criminal as Congress voting themselves a pay raise by keeping the lower tax rate for millionaires. Said it before, I'll say it again, VOTE THEM OUT!!! LOCAL, STATE and NATIONAL!!! 
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:28pm
Tony, agreed. Between earmarks and pandering to those who donate, both parties accomplish nothing. Shareholders can always litigate for fraud and malfeasance, taxpayers have limited to no recourse on what harm is done by those who are our servants, who we pay their bills, while they are to meet our needs.

The bail-out was obviously, a complete failure. It did not stimulate the economy and it is extremely difficult today to finance a home today based upon the repugnant 'about face' the banks and mortgage companies have implemented in near perfect credit score requirements. Adding to this mess is the bottomless pit of not finding the bottom, on the housing market, as it keeps plummeting. Yes, Wall Street got capital to buy and merge with bigger banks, great interest rates, and the individual hammered with devaluation of a prized asset, and recommendations by many, to not even invest in home ownership.

Valid point: vote for the individual, not the party.  
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:54pm
Bill Becker could do something about his abuse of taxpayers. He could refuse to take that second pension and donate his City Council salary to a worthy cause that would benefit the City and/or taxpayers!
Joe Citizen View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:32pm
BB was never qualified for any of these positions! Private or public sector. Perfect example of why our city gov't continues to circle the bottom of the bowl. IMHO
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 12:30am
Bill Becker was paid $103,123 in his first year as City Manager (2005-2006)

Called for an income tax increase in 2006 of 50% (1.5% to 2.25% of income)an estimated $9,000,000 annual increase in taxes. Over 60% of the voters (7,898 no votes) rejected Becker's proposed tax increase.

Bill Becker arranged for the City to buy land with $2,700,000 of taxpayer money for developer Al Neyer.

Was basically fired by City Council after the tax levy failure and the Al Neyer land deal. Retiring under fire in December 2006 (effective April 1, 2007)

Pocketed $132,742 in taxpayer funded severance pay when he left. Started drawing approximately $72,000 a year in pension plus health care benefits.

Runs for and get elected to City Council in 2007. Works in various other taxpayer funded jobs since. Takes job in Warren County at $70,000 a year in March 2010.

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:18am
ACC. I agree with your point. However, ;et's not pig pile BB.
1. Schivone the prince of the city "resigned" from two similar jobs because he was abusing the system taking taxpayer money he didn't earn.
   2.Councilman Thatcher abstained from a vote on land he owned paid for with tax money. Didn't abstain from the check he got for that I'm sure.

Read the city charter. Who do these elected offical's answer to? Voters or voters that have the means to "help."
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 6:35am
Joe Citizen.....

1."Schivone the prince of the city "resigned" from two similar jobs because he was abusing the system taking taxpayer money he didn't earn"

Are you referring to Schiavone's two jobs- one as a supervisor in Hamilton, when he was reported to be at the home of a fellow worker playing cards during work time and subsequently fired, and the Mason court job where he was also fired? (Forget what the circumstances were on that one)
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:21am
Becker is currently pulling in over $150,000 a year in taxpayer money!
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 12:06pm
Didnt Schivone get some kind of grant from the city to do work on the resturant he opened up for a short time?
This double dipping IMO is just not right.we the taxpayers foot the damn bill for it.Cry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:19pm
Thought Schiavone got an interest free loan from the city for around $50,000 that was never paid back as far as I know. All that work to remodel the former Damon's Rib location and only open, what, a few months. Poor business planning?
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:57pm
I knew he got money from the city but didnt know how.If he didnt pay it back why hasnt the "GOON Squad" gone after him? Wonder if I went to the city and asked them for a loan if they would give it to me?LOL
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 2:25pm
Vet, I believe you are incorrectabout the loan from the city. I am almost certain from memory, it was from Butler Cty and a development opportunity grant, but not Middletown. I cannot recall the terms, but believe it may have been very low interest. Can you confirm the loan WAS NOT paid back? If not, that's quite interesting.

Perhaps you are confusing the approximate $8,000 Mr. Schiavone got for payment for his one month work with the court in Middletown in correlation for altering the 'at large' council member status and doing away with the ward system. I mean....getting paid for his outstanding work after he changed his mind to eliminate the wards to work for one month for the court a month or so later, in a system he was forced to resign after two major infractions in Butler Cty courts. Just my humble opinion and recall of events. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 3:02pm
acclaro- you are correct. It was a loan from Butler County. See section of forum under Midd. News, Info. and Happenings. Page 13- BBQ Junction for info. Discussion as to whether Schiavone ever paid the 50 grand back according to the posts.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 4:24pm
VietViet you are correct. Technically not fired, but resigned under investigation. Do not recall the details on the 2nd try.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 4:37pm
Too bad Mr. Schiavone wasn't a better businessman. I actually liked BBQ Junction!
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Thought Schiavone got an interest free loan from the city for around $50,000 that was never paid back as far as I know. All that work to remodel the former Damon's Rib location and only open, what, a few months. Poor business planning?

I always found it interesting that they were still remodeling almost up to the very week they closed.
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 6:34pm
Like social service programs if you offer them people will find any way possible to get on  them,stop double dipping force our elected officials to change the laws.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic