FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Town Hall with Josh Laubach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Town Hall with Josh Laubach
    Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:43am
Good Morning,

I will be holding my first Town Hall meeting for 2011 on Wednesday, 6 April from 5:30-7:00 P.M. . The meeting will be located at Beauverre Riordan Stained Glass Studio, 1054 Central Ave. All Middletown Residents are welcome to attend. For a quicker response to questions you may have, please email me at joshual@cityofmiddletown.org in advance. I look forward to speaking with the concerned citizens of Middletown.

Thanks,

Josh Laubach
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:59am
Good for you, sir!!! An elected representative should seek the feedback of their constituents and I applaud you as well as Mr. Smith for holding these kinds of meetings. I encourage anyone who can attend to do so.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 11:26am
Josh- I noticed that when you held your previous meetings at the Senior's Center and at the Wildwood Golf Course clubhouse, Gilleland, Mulligan, Scott-Jones and others were present. Any underlying reason for them to attend?

DO NOT RESPOND....

You don't need to respond to this question and suggestion as it may put you on the spot and make you uneasy, but were they there to help you answer questions that you may not have had all the info. to respond, or were they there to monitor your responses to assure it met their criteria and that you didn't divulge more than you might have if they weren't there?

I say this because I don't trust the way city government responds to the people as to telling us the full story. I believe much is kept from the people, especially those who are under the guidance of the "behind the scenes" people controlling things.

I hope to be there if I can get my son to watch my wife during this time.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 4:50pm
Unfortunately, this is the same day and time as a meeting of the Butler County Republican Party Central Committee. 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
midres View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 5:09pm
JOSH,

GOOD FOR YOU.  I DO LAUD THIS EFFORT.  HOWEVER, SINCE YOU ARE -- OFFICIALLY -- THIRD WARD REPRESENTATIVE, WHY ARE YOU NOT HOLDING THIS SOMEPLACE WITHIN THE THIRD WARD??

I HOPE YOU DO GET FEEDBACK FROM THE CITIZENS.  ALSO, HOPEFULLY, NOT TOO MANY OTHER COUNCIL REPS ARE THERE.  WE SURELY WOULDN'T WANT TO GIVE ANY OF THE NAYSAYERS OPPORTUNITY TO SAY, OR SUGGEST, THAT COUNCIL HAS VIOLATED THE SUNSHINE LAW BY HOLDING A MEETING WITHOUT ADEQUATE, PRIOR NOTICE.

I WOULD LIKE TO REPEAT ..... HEY, HEY,  HO, HO,  A.J.'s GOTTA GO !!!

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 5:30pm
Mr. Laubach-

I am within the 3rd ward and will be out of town on business when your meeting is held but would request you address the folllowing in this forum or at your meeting:

i) Will you move to have a motion for dedicated infrastructures to be put back on the ballot and explain why that initiative has not appeared in > 20 years?

ii) At the last meeting of council, you enthusiastically embraced police and fire public servants and stated you supported them. Did that mean you support the repeal of S5, or your position remains the same?

Thank you.
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:30pm
Hey josh I will be there and for the rest of you I hope there is a good turnout to show the council that the people of middletown are paying attention to the decisions that council makes.
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:37am
Hello,
I will try to cover a few of the questions from above. If other people from council or staff show up, it is not a conspiracy. Anyone is welcome to attend and I encourage them to do so. The location was picked to mix it up. The Moorman's have a very nice facility and have offered their space in the past. I will be holding at least 5 more of these events and it’s difficult to limiting the meeting spaces to just the 3rd Ward.
Acclaro, I am assuming you are talking about having a fund dedicated to infrastructure? The short answer is yes. I have been an advocate of such a fund in the past. I think there are some limitations on how such a fund could gain revenue. However, council and the public need to have a clear picture of the money we are putting into our roads and where that money comes from. We have been using federal welfare to get recent road construction completed with very little local dollars going into these projects. I disagree with this principally and practically.    
Also, your second question implies that you cannot support Police/Fire and support the changes in collective bargaining. I disagree. Years of negotiations in the current format have resulted in personnel cost that are not realistic or obtainable in the long-term. I agree that these individuals deserve the most we can offer and if it were possible, I would advocate giving more to them. However, the problem is that we cannot afford the $23million going to these two areas under the current contracts. The council and the city must have the ability to reduce that expense. Under the current collective bargaining system, the only way to reduce that expense is by cutting jobs. I DO NOT want to see any of these individuals lose their jobs. My job is to tell the truth no matter how painful it is and provide basic services for the citizens of Middletown. Again, the current system will result in less protective services by having fewer police and firefighters. That is a system where everyone loses.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 10:19am
Josh....

"Acclaro, I am assuming you are talking about having a fund dedicated to infrastructure? The short answer is yes. I have been an advocate of such a fund in the past. I think there are some limitations on how such a fund could gain revenue. However, council and the public need to have a clear picture of the money we are putting into our roads and where that money comes from".

Back in the 80's, the voters were asked to help the city out by voting to divert money from the street/infrastructure fund and place it into the General Fund so the city could spread it around. The voters helped the city out by doing so. Problem was, the money was never put back into the street fund after the emergency money need was met from the General Fund. Your answer as to how you could gain revenue for the streets is to reverse what you did back in the 80's. Why haven't past councils and your current one done this if there is clearly a need? Why the procrastination?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:30am
Mr. Laubach, thak you for your expeditious response. Firstly, Vet is aboslutely correct; the easy fix to the years of taking once dedicated infrastructure funds that were required by ORDINANCE, to simply have that ballot language put back in place, and voted on by council. Frankly, I don't think legilatively, it requires a vote by the public, it can be done by council. To fahsion this, its easy to obtain the origianl langauge fashioned prior to the change, albeit the records for the period in the 1980's, I believe it was 1986, and simply alter it. Its intent then was to be a few years. The outcome was 25 years and counting.

I appreciate your position and praise for the workers but woud caution you to not embolden those whom think you are prone to alter your position. Kasisch provided the tools, ltes hope Middletown will use them. If not, you' have an exodus of house dumping.

Many thanks for the courteous and prompt response. If only we had six others who also were federalists or respected the constitiution and fundamental principles of economics.     
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 6:16am
Mr. Laubach:
As I mentioned earlier, I have a previous commitment that precludes my attending your Town Hall this evening.
However, I do have a question or two for you:

1.  Would you be willing to make a motion, during the business portion of the next meeting, to move the work sessions back to City Council Chambers (where they belong)???  The public deserves to know, by roll call vote, who is in favor of open government and who revels in secrecy.

2.  Can you describe ANY subject that has been discussed in the semi-secret work sessions that would have made any council member as "uncomfortable" to discuss as Mr. Smith was made last evening by Mr. Picard and Mr. Mulligan???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 7:29am
City finances, infighting discussed at forum
Laubach says Middletown could face $1.8M debt without belt-tightening

Twelve residents, including Mayor Larry Mulligan, attended the two-hour forum.

Tony Barnett, 53, of Middletown, who said he is against S.B. 5, urged Laubach to do what’s necessary to get the city back on track.

Barnett questioned whether it was smart for a city in such financial difficulty to purchase several downtown building for the proposed Cincinnati State campus without certainty the school would locate here.

Laubach stressed to Barnett and others at the forum that the school has had offers to move to other locations, but has a high interest in moving to downtown Middletown

You didn't answer the question Mr. Laubach. Barnett wanted to know why the city purchased buildings WITHOUT CERTAINTY, especially when you stated the city is in financial distress. Why roll the dice when you are cash strapped? The reason that the school had offers to move to other locations shouldn't have caused this "knee-jerk" reaction in major money spending on the city's part, should it? Especially without a FIRM COMMITMENT. Wrong answer that didn't address the question.

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 9:19am
Vet - actually, Mr. Laubach did answer the question but I'm not sure how you could put the answer into the limited amount of space it received in the MJ.
I got the impression that it was Cincy State that came to Middletown not the other way around. I also found that the money spent to purchase those buildings could not have been spent on anything other than redevelopment of the downtown. I'm still concerned that we've put the cart before the horse. While Cincy State has made a serious committment; it is not a final committment. When they sign a deal, I'll stop worrying about this. While I admit I was relieved to hear some of the information presented, I'll wait to congratulate anyone til it's a sure thing!!!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 10:18am
What--Me Worry?
Don't worry--Be Happy!

Seems Cincy St. is coming.
When--how quickly--and to what degree initially
is the ?
Should be good thing for the  city
Won't save us, but will be a big boost

Attended the session---thanx 2 the Moormans for the hospitality.
Beau Verre is a perfect example of hard work and professionalism.
Place looks outstanding.

That unidentified citizen was spot on throughout the session despite being a little too on edge.

Thanx to Mr.Laubaugh for trying, and the Mayor for attending.
As much as I criticize both of them I have tremendous respect for their commitment to the community.
They are quality human beings.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 12:38pm
Spiderjohn, I admit I am just a simpleton. Can you explain to me how Cincinnati State coming to Middletown is a "boost"? In what way? We have another school of education, to go with MUM, to go with Indiana Wesylan, MU WC, others within 20 minutes? It is a boost by adding payroll, by adding restaurants, by impacting poverty in the 2nd Ward? I'm just trying to understand how you determined it will be a boost,

Did Mr. Laumbagh indicate how soon he was putting back on the ballot, the dedicated infrasturtcure fundsor even mention it?

The Moormans have a niche business that is uniue; it has nothing to do with Middletown other than they were here when they built the business, actually the husband, not the wife.

The complaints on the chatterbox between Mr. Mulligan, Picard, and Smith does nothing. 4/7 are up for re-election. There would be no success in a recall as not enough signatures would support it in the 2nd ward. Everytime I think these 'citizen' meetings have any death, I am sorrowly disappointed. This one is another. 12 people show up and 2,000 for Sam Ashworth's birthday bash?  Apathy pretty apparent.

Don't think there will be any credible alternatives running against any incumbantin Nov of 2011. This cycle continues year after year, and just doesn't stop. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:07pm
I have a good deal of respect for Mr. Laubach, and I would have been at his meeting if not for a prior commitment.

Yet, that respect quickly wanes when I read quotes such as this from a local newspaper article:

“We want the community to understand the current financial status of the city and that it’s serious,” Laubach said.

Mr. Laubach, if you TRULY want the community to understand the current financial status of the city, then you and the other council members should’ve started by discussing this important facet of PUBLIC BUSINESS in full view of the community in CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS instead of in some hidey-hole out of our view last Tuesday evening!!!

Council cannot discuss our city finances in hiding, then tell us you want us to understand those very same finances!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

12 people show up and 2,000 for Sam Ashworth's birthday bash? 
What refreshments was Mr. Laubach serving versus what the City might have been providing for Sam's bash??? LOL LOL LOL
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:19pm
Oops, I meant for the opening of PAC!!!
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:30pm
I promised I would back off this forum a few days ago, because itsgetting no traction, nothing more than venting anger and frustration, no fact based decision making, all consistently "glittering generalities" that I had a prof in MBA school that would nail all his students on when comments like Mr. Laumbach were cited routinely, and others.

Beginning with TonyB, your point is correct. Anything in writing, other than a contractual obligations, MEANS NOTHING, otta. So, Cincinnati State says we love Middletown, even sign a Memomorandum of Understanding, whatever. It has no teeth, it MEANS NOTHING! Hell, agter six months, there is still no one on council including Mr. Laumbach, that can articlate what the presence of Cincinnati State means to the city. Cincinnati State hasn't even modeled its demographic impact upon student population! Anyone have an idea how many students are going back to scholl and how competitive it is to GET STUDENTS? So why is this such a boost, we'll sell more gas, more beer, more homes, 5 buildings won't be torn down? Does no one ever want a straight-forwad answer? Surely it did not come last night.

What financial crisis Mr. Lambaugh, multiple sides of coucnil and city leadership speaking different tongues! The city has stated everything is on a nice trendline for 2011, so we have sime concerns about 2012. Those concerns are dictated by one thing Mr. Laumbagh, and that is the few $ Mm the city will lose with a .25% drop in tax revenuethat nothing statistically was accomplished by the public safety levy. Hell, even the fire department is on the record stating it costs more in expense, SUBSTANTIALLY, to get to the Atrium, in hundreds of $ Kk in diesel fuel et al, and TIME.

So next year, because of the runaway train, we should be worried about pensions? Kasich took care of that, you have the tools to handle it. Are you and council planning on using them? Again....no answers. Smith out trying to get his union job by showing he is against the SR5 initiative, and there is this nice "glitterig generality" Mr. Lambaugh brings up called: "we want the city to know we have serious financial siutaions before us." Mr. Lambaugh, my God man, the city hasn't maintained streets in >20 years, that's serious. The city has lost all credibility: the untouchable 255 reserve is now down to 15%, but that hasn't affected the bond rating or interest on borrowing. The city even went and refinanced debt on the airport because interest rates were so low.

The city and all council members, have no credibility. I am sick of it. Mr. Mulligan, I am taking you up on it. I am out of here. I''ll take my capital loss and move where there are people who can give answers, think, and quit spinning these constant macro topics which have no teethm mean nothing, and 99.9% of the rsidents think progress is being made. Insanity is doing and SAYING the same thing over and over. This is the exmple of Insanity, heard year after year, informal council meeting after another. I give up, time to pack it in.     

Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 1:56pm
Acclaro,

The numbers and specifics were covered in some depth last night at the meeting. I cannot control what comments the Middletown Journal prints from two hours of talks. I would be more than happy to have a one on one discussion with you or anyone else on this board to be as specific as possible. As for your concerns on the roads; I agree completely. That is why I have proposed the creation of the Road Fund. If you would like more details, I would be happy to share them with you as it unfolds.

Mr. Presta,

It would have been nice to see you last night. You bring a good dynamic to the discussion. However, I understand you have other obligations. To your point concerning the Work Sessions; I have no problem with with them being televised and I would like to see that happen. In terms of location, yes, I like the upstairs round table format. I personally feel it is better suited for non-formal talks.

Josh
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:08pm
Mr. Laubach:  People who like round table formats should hold non-formal round table discussions, perhaps on occassions such as last evening.
Can any member of council actually state that they did NOT expect City Council meetings to be held in CityCouncil Chambers???  Where did you think City Council meetings where going to be held???
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:17pm
Mr. Laubach, thanks for the response. Indeed, it is a shame the MJ apparently published a fraction of what was discussed. It is not necessary to respond, as I believe, perhaps correctly, you are in the mold of Paul Ryan from Wisconsin. The runaway train and entitlement can not continue. Its killing Middletown, and riuning the property values that dedicated and committed buyers placed their trust and fortune, in Middletown having proper focus in their responsibilities.

I assume you discussed Cincinnati State, and woud have gained from the insight as to what that investment menas, as of this date, I have no idea, nor do I thik does Middletown nor Cincinnati State. I think most would call it a "quality of living" boost, whatever that may mean.

It will take alot of the nursing home residents voting to keep the tax rate at 1.75%, in placein contrast to its reduction to 15.%. The city continues to raise prices on water, seeking other revenue streams, (clearly there are no takers on having streets paved at the home owner expense when that should have been maintained by the city and not paying salaries), and diminish services. That is not a 'winning' combination.

I'd enjoy a website if you would be inclined to put one up, and help fund it. At the end of the day, you are the only council member who seems attuned to the resident, and recognizes the enormity of destruction caused over many years of waste, improper leadership, and entitlement exploitation.

I thank you for your response.      
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:24pm
I would have run for the Ward One City Council seat in 2007, had I known that I could choose to have the meetings in our family room where I could be comfortable in my zero-gravity chair!!!  Silly me!!!  Somehow I got the idea that pre-arranged discussions of city business by four or more council members would be a City Council meeting that would routinely be held in CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS!!!  I dunno how I could been so stupid as to think that.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:39pm

Here’s a thought:

City council has declared what was once a “business conference room” to be a “PUBLIC meeting room” for their work sessions. (It MUST be a “public meeting room” or council would be in violation of the “open meetings law”!)

Perhaps Chief Botts or Ashkicker could advise us of the posted safe capacity for the small “public meeting room” where council work sessions have been being held???

TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2011 at 2:55pm
It should be clear to most that the summary provided in the MJ is not the complete picture of everything discussed at the open meeting last night. Some facts that were mentioned could have been omitted (my age for instance! lmao).  It was a simple overview and factual as far as it went.
I do understand why city council likes the informal meeting venue. That being said; I would encourage council to hold EVERY meeting of council, formal or not, in council chambers. No amount of comfort is worth the distraction that this has caused and is continuing to cause. There are simply too many important problems facing the city and this is distracting from it. If you want to be comfortable, resign you seat and go to your residence and put your feet up and watch council from the comfort of your living room. This issue is simply not worth the time being expended on it.
The benefits of having Cincy State downtown should be obvious but apparently, I'm mistaken about that. I see the benefits in this way:

1. Students coming downtown to take classes are going to spend money downtown. This is a classic economic case of supply and demand. If you have a supply of people coming downtown, a demand for things like books, food, entertainment, etc. will follow. This provides business opportunities to fill those demands.
  2. Economic activity downtown cannot but help the city's revenue stream. By how much, of course, is up for debate but there will be revenue generated. I think we can all agree that the city need a diversified revenue stream.
  3. Faculty for the school will hopefully move to Middletown. Many people have said to me that the beginning of Middletown's decline was the Armco HQ moving out of town. Depending on the number of classes offered and the diversity of those classes,  we could have a number of well paid individuals contributing to the city's income tax. Certainly can't hurt the city bottom line.
  4.  Cincinnati State could be the catalyst for further development in the downtown area. There are other assets that are downtown that could benefit, including the redevelopment of other buildings in the downtown area.

I'm sure that there are more advantages that I haven't listed; by the same token, there will be problems associated with the development downtown. Nothing is ever going to bring Middletown back to former glory; my hope is that this will give Middletown and the downtown a beginning. As I've said; it is all conjecture until the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.

Mr. Laubach made his feeling and intentions clear that he would like to see a dedicated fund for infrastructure improvement. It is more of the how to accomplish this; whether thru legislation or referendum that is now the issue as is whether the other 6 members of council support such an action. Only time will tell  about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic