FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tax Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tax Question
    Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 4:53pm
The City of Middletown tax return instructions state "You must include a copy of all W-2's, 1099's and page 1 of your 1040."  Do all cities require this much information?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 6:11pm
This city government is starving for revenue. They will do any and all things to collect it to offset the income lost (and not pursued with any urgency) through payroll/corporate taxes like most competently run towns do. They require each and every citizen to file city taxes whether they earned income or not. They even require a person to file even if their income is not taxable by the city. When you operate a desperate city operation, you develop desperate measures to find every penny you can. Pathetic. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Middletown is one of the few towns that have these requirements. They are also good at developing creative methods to drain the wallets of the people too. I offer the "pavement of your street from your wallet" concept and the new requirement that just surfaced after all these years concerning the septic tank rules and sewer line tap ins in the south end.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 9:11am
Middletown isn't the only city to ask for W-2's 1099's and the first page of your 1040, it seems to be something many municipalities are starting to do. Oakwood required it last year, I can't tell if they did this year as their website is not playing nicely, but looking at the area cities it looks like Monroe and Trenton are requiring it this year in addition to Middletown. Franklin, Oxford, Springboro, Lebanon & Hamilton are not but the forms for some of those cities such as Hamilton & Springboro are way more in depth than Middletown's.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:03am
I can understand W-2's and the front of the 1040. But (at least in my case) my 1099's are not taxable by the city. The 1040 should be sufficient. My 1099's are none of their damn business.

Maybe they want them for statistical purposes to try to find new items to tax! Angry

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:10am
Pretty much every municipality form that I looked at asked for copies of 1099's. Maybe you should call the tax office and ask them if that means all 1099's you get or only the ones that are for income that is taxable.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2011 at 10:57am
The state of Ohio does not require it, so state in Ohio would have the authority as it would be unconstitutional. Ohio checks a federal database to cross check, which Middlteonw or any city in Ohio, would also have access to. They do it for one reason---to determine who was claimed on the taxes so they can also put them into a system to start harrassing them, your child's name, and so on. You can go online and put your tax info in efile for Ohio, and have a check return f entitled to one, in two weeks, no W2 copies.

On the fed side, unless your income is above $3,000 or more, it might be higher, you have no obligation to file. What trumps a city? A state. What trumps a state> The federal government. You have the answer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic